The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• edited 2016-02-05 02:11:49
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    This sounds a lot like the "[minorities] should learn to speak English good or deal with the unfamiliarity incompetently" mindset I see a lot of around me.

vvv Said more effectively, apparently I'm not good with words today. Adaptation is preferable to some mythical best way of doing things.
  • edited 2016-02-05 02:10:12
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    YOU SAY THAT LIKE I HAVE ANY POWER

YOU SAY THAT LIKE ANY OF US HAVE ANY POWER
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    WE FUCKING DON'T
  • Americans do things the way Americans do.

That means they must think the American way is the best way to do things.
    the disconnect is here

Americans do things the way Americans do because it is the way they do things, it's tautological

there is no single higher "best" way for there to be a help icon, because the point of the icon is to be immediately recognizable to the user as a help icon, so the icon needs to be designed with the people it is going to be used by in mind, ergo it needs to be different for different populations with different cultures and backgrounds.
  • edited 2016-02-05 02:12:08
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Microsoft might be owned by Americans, but it is a global corporation. And so it shall act globally.
  • -pokes nose in-

just going to say that IMO it's better for technology to be able to adapt to other cultures than for other cultures to have to adapt to technology

-pulls nose out-
  • My dreams exceed my real life
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Tre said:

-pokes nose in-

just going to say that IMO it's better for technology to be able to adapt to other cultures than for other cultures to have to adapt to technology

-pulls nose out-
    See, this is a statement I can agree with.
  • I'm gonna start shitposting and no one is gonna be able to stop me.
  • Tre said:

-pokes nose in-

-pulls nose out-
    See, this is a statement I can agree with.
    but

but you're not????????

that's the statement you're ACTIVELY DISAGREEING WITH RIGHT NOW
  • Behold, 'tis I! A near-literal manifestation of the strawman argument!

"But Jane" so says I "is it not inconvenient for the programmers to have to translate the OS to a new language for every new market?"
  • Why yes, Other Jane, it is!

but you see, when large corporations expand into new markets, they take these challenges upon themselves, because not only is it the right thing to do on an ethical level, it's just good business! People are much more likely to use a product they can actually understand how to use without having to learn a second language first!
  • Oh, I see, Main Jane.

Well thank you, I see now that I was incorrect in my rash and hasty assumption.

But I must ask further, would it not be beneficial for the new markets to just learn the other language anyway? Knowing more than one is good, you know.
  • Well maybe hypothetically, Other Jane. But you see, like I said earlier, forcing someone to learn your language just to use your product is bad business. It's a bad way to make a first impression too!

On top of that, it's generally considered an abuse of cultural power to force another culture to speak your language. They called that colonialism in the old days, and the attitudes that powered it are still alive and well, but it's certainly no good thing.
  • edited 2016-02-05 02:18:26
    You know what I don't do? I don't read Chinese. I did not see the value in it, because I stuck close to my westernized ways even thousands of miles from where I used to live. And now, every time I want to read anything, I have to use Google translate. It's that bad.

Do you know how much I hated myself for that? Do you know how hard it was to forgive myself for it?

I don't even know, actually, because I have no idea how angry I actually am.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

Americans do things the way Americans do.

the disconnect is here

Americans do things the way Americans do because it is the way they do things, it's tautological

there is no single higher "best" way for there to be a help icon, because the point of the icon is to be immediately recognizable to the user as a help icon, so the icon needs to be designed with the people it is going to be used by in mind, ergo it needs to be different for different populations with different cultures and backgrounds.
    So I guess my question would be this: If Americans don't do things the American way because we think it's best, why do we do things the American way?

It's never really made sense to me that conventions and such are different across different cultures, because it seems like naturally everyone would seek out which one's objectively best and settle on that.
  • Well thank you, Main Jane, I think you've cleared up all the questions I had about this matter.

I shall now go back to the life of a sockpuppet.

la la la la. in-jokes! dank memes!
  • :pats Other Jane on the head on her way out the door:
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    "Objectively" doesn't exist.

Everything that anyone told you about "objectively" is untrue, unless they're a scientist, and even then, they have biases and the theories they use and create are colored by it.
    I don't know, like, when I find out that other countries do something differently than my country, I have to ask myself "are they doing it wrong or am I doing it wrong?"

Because if there are two ways of doing something, one must be better than another...and it doesn't make sense that anyone would choose anything but the best way.
  • objectivity is subjective

that sounds contradictory, but the thing is, what one culture sees as best (like, for example, the US) isn't always going to match up with what another one does (like, I dunno, Jordan or somewhere)
  • I don't know, like, when I find out that other countries do something differently than my country, I have to ask myself "are they doing it wrong or am I doing it wrong?"

Because if there are two ways of doing something, one must be better than another...and it doesn't make sense that anyone would choose anything but the best way.
    that isn't true.

Like, sorry, but one of the base assumptions you've built your entire mode of thinking on is false.
    Okay, you want an answer?

You're wrong. We're right.

Let's all go drink now.
  • Here's my thinking:

So, Americans think their way is the best way of doing things, why wouldn't they want other people to start doing things the best way?
    Well, think about it like this. Americans have various opinions on the metric system, but ultimately our entire road system is based on imperial, right? Now imagine there's a car that comes out and its speedometer, odometer etc. use kilometers instead of miles. Even if you prefer metric (and you may not!) that's still pretty inconvenient when it comes to what you're familiar with and how everything is measured around here, right?

And then when you say "hey, this doesn't really work with my environment and experience" they say "well, either your entire country should immediately convert to metric or you should start building cars in Detroit again." Those suggestions aren't really something under your control, and it's frustrating that they couldn't just change from metric when they already translated the owner's manual.

(this may not be an accurate analogy, and I don't want to talk over Crackers here, but hopefully you get the idea.)
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Centie prefers metric, vastly

Beside the point but yeah
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    where's that gif of the dude with the pizza and the fire
    "It's ten in the morning."

I don't care. Whiskey time.
    Jane said:

I don't know, like, when I find out that other countries do something differently than my country, I have to ask myself "are they doing it wrong or am I doing it wrong?"

that isn't true.

Like, sorry, but one of the base assumptions you've built your entire mode of thinking on is false.
    I dunno...am I being asked to accept that multiple ways of doing things can be equally valid?
    Haven said:

Here's my thinking:

So, Americans think their way is the best way of doing things, why wouldn't they want other people to start doing things the best way?
    Well, think about it like this. Americans have various opinions on the metric system, but ultimately our entire road system is based on imperial, right? Now imagine there's a car that comes out and its speedometer, odometer etc. use kilometers instead of miles. Even if you prefer metric (and you may not!) that's still pretty inconvenient when it comes to what you're familiar with and how everything is measured around here, right?

And then when you say "hey, this doesn't really work with my environment and experience" they say "well, either your entire country should immediately convert to metric or you should start building cars in Detroit again." Those suggestions aren't really something under your control, and it's frustrating that they couldn't just change from metric when they already translated the owner's manual.

(this may not be an accurate analogy, and I don't want to talk over Crackers here, but hopefully you get the idea.)
    Ok, see, put that way I can understand it. Is that what I've been sounding like? Because I can agree that that sound ridiculous and frustrating.
  • Jane said:

that isn't true.

I dunno...am I being asked to accept that multiple ways of doing things can be equally valid?
    Haven said:

Here's my thinking:

Ok, see, put that way I can understand it. Is that what I've been sounding like? Because I can agree that that sound ridiculous and frustrating.
    YES TO BOTH
  • Jane said:

that isn't true.

yes.
    aaaaa you're bigtexting at me

that's usually a sign i fucked up somehow
    Or. You can accept being wrong about everything.

Like me! Except that instead of accepting it, it was pushed into me by thousands of disparate forces!
  • like, the idea that people can do things differently, live differently from one another, the fact that this is in fact desirable, and enriches each and every one of us, is central to the whole idea of living in a liberal society, to civil rights movements of all stripes! gay rights! trans rights! not going around and senselessly murdering people for looking different!

like, the idea that people can do things differently, live differently from one another, the fact that this is in fact desirable, and enriches each and every one of us, is central to the whole idea of living in a liberal society, to civil rights movements of all stripes! gay rights! trans rights! not going around and senselessly murdering people for looking different!

ok yeah that makes sense to me
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    that's a mentality I can support
    looking at these old Google Street View images makes me want to go back to 2007

a more innocent time, when that particular road was still only one lane in each direction...
  • Would anyone be up for doing a jukebox session with me?
    Hell yeah.
  • Jane said:

not tonight but maybe tomorrow?

I wouldn't mind that, but I won't be home till around 11:30 pm becuase of work tomorrow.
    Google Street View has images from January 2016 now.

They keep getting faster and faster with the updates.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I'd like to, except I'm about to do schoolwork while listening to the NLSS.
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers
    marijuana is overrated to me (at least for recreational use, it has its uses medically) but every time i see someone that's like aggressively anti-weed i just wanna be like "lol, maybe you should smoke a joint to chill out :)" (but aggressive stoners that constantly talk about weed and nothing else are also fucking annoying)
    I tried marijuana. I don't like it. Makes my head hurt.
    imageimageimageimage
  • MachSpeed said:

I tried marijuana. I don't like it. Makes my head hurt.

^

• meow meow meowtherfuckers
    that's why i said it's overrated
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    MachSpeed said:

imageimageimageimage

I hope someone copies this as much as possible.
  • kill living beings
    it's hard to start a slow fire this time of year