The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• We can do anything if we do it together.
    The Internet in Star Wars seems like something that's limited to elites, frankly.
  • It's too bad Luke and Leia didn't have the internet

They could have distributed information about the Empire on Wookieeleaks
    I chuckled
  • kill living beings
    they have internet but it's sublight so you can only use it for mere planetary politics
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Philosophy S01E01.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Philosophy E2M8
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20160203-00/?p=92961

It's an interesting bit of trivia, but...why do you need to localize the Help icon? Why can't Microsoft just say "Windows was written in English, you're lucky we translated it into your language at all, we're not also going to modify the icons for you"?
  • well, they could, but that would be:

1. exceptionally rude

2. bad product design
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.

It's an interesting bit of trivia, but...why do you need to localize the Help icon? Why can't Microsoft just say "Windows was written in English, you're lucky we translated it into your language at all, we're not also going to modify the icons for you"?

That's a real good approach to lose an enormous number of customers.
    Just because we have to live in a world where English is the dominant language doesn't mean we like it.
  • https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20160203-00/?p=92961

cuz they want the business of those people

same reason Minesweeper uses flowers in a lot of countries.
  • well, they could, but that would be:

1. exceptionally rude

2. bad product design
    3. ...maybe even... neo-colonial?
  • really, it's just very bad
  • they have internet but it's sublight so you can only use it for mere planetary politics

thanks again, comcast
  • edited 2016-02-05 01:06:52

Brian L. Roberts walks in, you can hear his mechanical respirator from 10 feet away
  • edited 2016-02-05 01:06:21
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.

It's not even "maybe," it's a definite "yes." "We [X], you're lucky to get [Y] at all" is an enormously privileged, colonialist attitude.

Of course, separate from that is the rest of us saying "We wouldn't need [Y] if the world weren't so fucked."
  • MachSpeed said:

It's not even "maybe," it's a definite "yes." "We [X], you're lucky to get [Y] at all" is an enormously privileged, colonialist attitude.

Of course, separate from that is the rest of us saying "We wouldn't need [Y] if the world weren't so fucked."
    I was going to say "definitely", but i would definitely not feel comfortable stating that definitively given where i am in the world, and i knew you would weigh in
    Oh, neat. Thanks. Sorry if I was a little brusque.
  • Oh no, you're totally fine.
  • edited 2016-02-05 01:11:17

I'm just... acutely sensitive to people explaining things over me when i have actual relevant experience they don't, so i try to go out of my way to avoid doing it myself?
  • I'm just... acutely sensitive to people explaining things over me when i have actual relevant experience they don't, so i try to go out of my way to avoid doing it myself?

it took me a while to phrase this correctly because i don't want to sound like those people on tumblr who are engaged in endless public self-flagellation over their own "privilege"
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

Honestly, that seems like the exact opposite of what I'd expect you to believe

Also, Comcast's ownership of NBCUniversal irritates me greatly
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I dunno, it seems like if you want an operating system entirely in your local language, you should use one written by a native speaker.

Alternatively, if you're so invested in the proprietary Microsoft software that you don't have a choice, you are in no position to demand anything but the bare minimum amount of localization.
    Anonus said:

Honestly, that seems like the exact opposite of what I'd expect you to believe

How so?
  • I dunno, it seems like if you want an operating system entirely in your local language, you should use one written by a native speaker.

Alternatively, if you're so invested in the proprietary Microsoft software that you don't have a choice, you are in no position to demand anything but the bare minimum amount of localization.
    you're doing it again, Alice.
    ...Doing what again?
    You don't think Microsoft doesn't employ native speakers of various languages?

Hell, a Microsoft employee runs that blog. What are you talking about?
  • edited 2016-02-05 01:34:37

I dunno, it seems like if you want an operating system entirely in your local language, you should use one written by a native speaker.

Princess Smug Republican
    ...Is this one of those instances where I've said something stupid without understanding how or why it's stupid?
    I feel like you're reading this like a complaint that a user wrote, that they weren't catering to said user's needs.

But. A Microsoft employee wrote that blog post. A Microsoft employee.
    Because it annoys me that Microsoft is trying to make these experiences as localized as possible instead of forcing their foreign users to adapt to American conventions!

Is that so wrong?
  • Yeah! Yeah it is!

It makes no sense and is kinda racist!
    silly CA, non-English speakers don't write operating systems
    IT IS VERY WRONG
  • Jane said:

Yeah! Yeah it is!

It makes no sense and is kinda racist!
    preeeettttyyy much
  • like there is literally no reason, practical or moral, for them to not do that.
  • It's like being mad about the existence of cheese or something, what are you even upset about????
    it's like Nintendo translating their games into English when they send 'em over here, why the fuck would they do that
  • edited 2016-02-05 02:02:09
    kill living beings
    yeah central wtf mate.

wow good job page toppin'
  • edited 2016-02-05 02:03:18
    Let me tell you. About Fallen London.

Because it annoys me that Microsoft is trying to make these experiences as localized as possible instead of forcing their foreign users to adapt to American conventions!

Is that so wrong?
    What is it that makes "forcing their foreign users to adapt to American conventions" a good thing?
    "Hey, I don't like like how these people build shit, have sex, or get married! Let's go over there and force them to change!"

NRNGNNGGNGNNGNGNG
    Here's my thinking:

Americans do things the way Americans do.

That means they must think the American way is the best way to do things.

So, Americans think their way is the best way of doing things, why wouldn't they want other people to start doing things the best way?
  • edited 2016-02-05 02:06:20
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I agree with AU here that this honestly seems like the kind of mentality you would usually argue against.
    BECAUSE WE THINK THE SAME FUCKING THING ABOUT WHAT WE DO
  • kill living beings
    second doesn't follow from the first, also, what are you doing
    MachSpeed said:

Then you should also be trying to force people do to things your way!
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

I agree with AU here that this honestly seems like the kind of mentality you would usually argue against.

Yeah! It sounds kind of culturally imperialistic!

Americans want to sell their products abroad, they should tailor them to the territories they are selling them to.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

MachSpeed said:

Then you should also be trying to force people do to things your way!
    You're implying he wouldn't absolutely love to be able to do that if he had the chance.

He doesn't, however, because your culture is the dominant one.
  • kill living beings
    third doesn't follow from the second either there are other ways to have people do things aaaaah why
  • Here's my thinking:

Americans do things the way Americans do.

That means they must think the American way is the best way to do things.

So, Americans think their way is the best way of doing things, why wouldn't they want other people to start doing things the best way?
    ??????????????????????????????????