Anime

Comments

• edited 2015-06-21 00:52:20

no it was this slice of life show mo watched a while back about a girl who became a god and her friends helped her out and stuff

i dont remember the name
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-06-21 02:21:15

I ended up hearing about this a little late, but the Sketchbook DVDs have a release date now. They are going to be coming out September 1st (Kate's b-day). I am currently in the process of getting hyped.

They are actually including the picture dramas and some other special features stuff too (which is way more than what I was expecting when this was first announced a while back). Honestly, I find it kind of unbelievable that this is actually happening given that the show aired some eight years ago. While I do not really have a clue as to why they decided to release Sketchbook on DVD in North America, I am very grateful to Nozomi for doing it. 
  • haruhi?
    KAMICHU!

which everyone should watch because it's the most chill show in existence.
  • edited 2015-06-22 22:53:56

So, for the past few days i have been watching Yona of the Dawn

On the surface, it seems like a fairly run of the mill show: Yona, a spoiled but well meaning princess, is forced to flee the castle when her father is deposed, then she goes on a quest to reclaim the kingdom in accordance with an old prophecy, doing character development hero's journey stuff as she goes along.

What makes it really good is that it is, well, really good. The characters are very well fleshed out and three-dimensional, including the bad guys, who actually act like real people and have realistic motivations, which is nice for a change. There are plenty of heartwarming moments, the funny bits are genuinely funny, and the action bits are suitably thrilling. There is absolutely no filler, and the pacing is spot-on. a solid A imo, absolutely worth your time regardless of how your personal tastes/inclinations run.

also the setting is pretty nifty, it draws upon korean and chinese stuff but i am not knowledgeable enough to talk about it more than that really.

I should watch more shoujo stuff in general i think.
  • The Mysterious Ballerina and her Tree Stump Ghosts
    Watching more shoujo stuff is always a good plan to have, yes
  • i like that the dude characters have emotions and cry and shit

more media needs dudes who cry in general
  • My dreams exceed my real life
  • where is Utena
    naney said:

where is Utena

Where would YOU put it Naney
  • waaaay off to the right
  • and way towards the top
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Just out of curiosity, where would you put FLCL?
    Probably near Utena.
  • that awkward feel when i don't recognize most of them and also can't much make sense of the dimensions given either
  • you know

i didnt like FLCL that much

and i didnt like samurai champloo either

those seems to be shows that people strongly agree upon liking in general, so i am surprised
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    For that reason, I am somehow not surprised at that.

Is that silly of me? :v
  • edited 2015-06-23 00:52:40

samurai champloo did have a bitchin soundtrack tho, maybe the best anime soundtrack ive ever heard?

and the aesthetic vision was very strong in general

that awkward feel when i don't recognize most of them and also can't much make sense of the dimensions given either

As far as I know, it's stuff that's considered important/influential in Japan, not so much something the average American weaboo would know.

Also you are GMH, and thus, do not care about anything I know about
  • edited 2015-06-23 00:55:48
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    naney said:

samurai champloo did have a bitchin soundtrack tho, maybe the best anime soundtrack ive ever heard?

and the aesthetic vision was very strong in general
    Yeah, agreed on both those things.

I'd say Cowboy Bebop is even stronger on those fronts, frankly. I don't want to say whether you'd like it or not, but I would be interested to hear your reactions to it.
  • GMH kinda live off in GMH land doing his GMH things so
    That's why Sazae-San and Doraemon are on the list.
  • it just didnt really resonate with me at all
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-06-23 01:36:04

On a sort of related note to what was talked about before, what do the terms "shonen," "shoujo," "seinen," and "josei" mean to you? How much do you think we should care about them?

I feel like the "shonen" label is sort of helpful when attached to "shonen fighting show" or "shonen adventure show" since it seems like shows with those labels tend to have a lot of the same tropes and such, so the labels mean something pretty concrete. I think you could probably say something similar about "shoujo magical girl shows" too.

Outside of those contexts, it seems to me like the demographic labels are significantly less useful since the fact that a show's manga was published in a "shonen" or "seinen" magazine in Japan does not necessarily say a whole lot about its content or what kind of audience is likely to enjoy it outside of Japan. I think that is especially true for "seinen" slice of life shows like GA Art Design Class and Non Non Biyori, the equivalent of which does not really exist in most places outside of Japan.
  • they can be useful shorthand for "this is what a show feels like"

like, if the first thing someone says when describing a show it "it's a shonen" im gonna think "oh there is a brash young male protagonist and he has adventures and he is exceptionally talented and/or has a lot of heart"

the umbrella of shonen is much wider than that of course, but there is a certain archetype there that shows can cleave closely to
  • naney said:

So, for the past few days i have been watching Yona of the Dawn

On the surface, it seems like a fairly run of the mill show: Yona, a spoiled but well meaning princess, is forced to flee the castle when her father is deposed, then she goes on a quest to reclaim the kingdom in accordance with an old prophecy, doing character development hero's journey stuff as she goes along.

What makes it really good is that it is, well, really good. The characters are very well fleshed out and three-dimensional, including the bad guys, who actually act like real people and have realistic motivations, which is nice for a change. There are plenty of heartwarming moments, the funny bits are genuinely funny, and the action bits are suitably thrilling. There is absolutely no filler, and the pacing is spot-on. a solid A imo, absolutely worth your time regardless of how your personal tastes/inclinations run.

also the setting is pretty nifty, it draws upon korean and chinese stuff but i am not knowledgeable enough to talk about it more than that really.

I should watch more shoujo stuff in general i think.
    also this show has a very strong undercurrent of like idealism vs. pragmatism that gets pretty nuanced and difficult and shit
  • also there is a cute chipmunk sidekick
  • im still fuckin mad about Bodacious Space Pirates being boring

it had such a strong opening and then it just petered out and uughgghghgghghghhhhh YOU HAD SUCH A GOOD TITLE AND A BODACIOUS SPACE PIRATE LADY YOU FUCKED IT UP U LAME PEOPLE
  • naney said:

you know

i didnt like FLCL that much

and i didnt like samurai champloo either

those seems to be shows that people strongly agree upon liking in general, so i am surprised
    Out of curiosity, what about Samurai Champloo did you not like?
  • i actually had a long-ass discussion w/ sredni about that i'll go over to my phone and copypaste it here
  • me -> It (Champloo) had a very strong and cohesive aesthetic vision, which very strongly disposes me towards liking a show, so why did it leave me so cold?

(*we talk about other stuff for a bit here*)

Sredni -> Also, regarding Champloo, I think it has a daring and fun aesthetic, but it is really inconsistent in terms of substance and the whole arc of the show is too episodically structured and goofy in tone to provide the final plot with the heft it needed.

me -> you are right, the whole show kinda felt like the early episodes of a show where things are kinda finding their footing before things really take off, but with more cool things happening

sredni -> Yeah, exactly. The thing is, Watanabe had done one great episodic series before, but with Cowboy Bebop everything is essential and feels united in some way - perhaps because the show had Keiko Nobumoto as head of story, and she is... well, something. And there the arc emerges out of the "standalone" episodes as much as the "plot" ones because of how the character relationships are established. But that show was way subtler.

me -> the thing is in champloo it didnt feel like there was a ln arc really. things set in motion, a bunch of shit happened, and then it got wrapped up

Sredni -> True! He made a far better series on that model in Space Dandy, but that show is just nuts and I do not know exactly how he makes it work other than that he makes everything possible and runs with it.

me -> space dandy is the same way but it feels right for that show in a way it doesnt feel right for champloo

Sredni ->It (Champloo) tries to do the Bebop thing but never really achieves plot.

me -> exactly!

Sredni -> Whereas Space Dandy does not try and manages to have stuff progress almost incidentally and, according to every trustworthy source I have, it ends very well.
  • edited 2015-06-23 06:03:15

sorry if that's kinda incoherent, sredni and i tend to comment on one anothers monologues rather than converse per say, it's just how we roll
  • Odradek said:

that awkward feel when i don't recognize most of them and also can't much make sense of the dimensions given either

As far as I know, it's stuff that's considered important/influential in Japan, not so much something the average American weaboo would know.

ba-dum tssh :P

well to be fair here's what I know or can tell:

N/S axis seems to be about character focus vs. setting focus.
    E/W axis seems to be about fantasy vs. reality, and E side's description makes sense to me, but I'm not sure why W side says "classical methods" specifically -- not sure if that's meant to be in contrast to something.

Shows:
    * Honey and Clover - heard of
    * Kamen Rider - know somewhat
    * Vagabond - don't recognize
    * Rokudenashi Blues - don't recognize
    * Naruto - mainly know
    * A Perfect Day for Lovers - don't recognize
    * One Piece - know somewhat
    * Black Jack - heard of
    * Fist of the North Star - heard of
    * Sazae-San - heard of
    * Touch - don't recognize
    * Kochikame - don't recognize
    * Golgo 13 - don't recognize
    * Joe of Tomorrow - don't recognize
    * Doraemon - heard of
    * Jojo - heard of
    * Yu-Gi-Oh! - know somewhat
    * Dragonball - know somewhat
    * Mickey Mouse - wait, what?
    * Put It All in the Ring - don't recognize
    * Death Note - heard of
    * Akira - heard of / know somewhat
    * Bastard!! - heard of / don't recognize
    * Captain Tsubasa - heard of? / don't recognize
    * Kamui - either this has to do with the doujin shmup of the same name, or more likely, i don't recognize it
    * Cobra - don't recognize
    * GeGeGe no Kitaro - don't recognize
    * Babel II - don't recognize
    * the works of Yukinobu Hoshino - I looked him up and don't recognize any of his works.

...actually, come to think of it, are all these manga?  because that might explain why I've never even heard of a number of them.

But yeah, what I was trying to do was, I find these sorts of charts quite interesting, so I was trying to make sense of it, but didn't fully understand the axes.  So I tried using the stuff placed in the graph to make sense of it but realized that I didn't recognize most of the series.
  • I think Sazae-san is a sort of Japanese spiritual analogue to Peanuts.
  • Ah, that would make some sense with the axes as I understand them.

I'm especially intrigued by the E/W axis if it represents what I think it does.  I have a feeling that it's not quite that simple but I'm not yet sure how to break it down into multiple components.  Maybe mechanical focus vs. symbolicness, and then optimism vs. cynicism?

anyway... *saves the image to ask a manga-knowledgeable friend about it*

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Kamen Rider is only that thing I don't stop talking about.
  • edited 2015-06-23 09:47:29
    i just tried looking up "a perfect day for lovers" and i'm getting very, very few search results for either '"a perfect day for lovers" anime' or '"a perfect day for lovers" manga', actually

i'm guessing it's something that's more commonly known by its japanese name?
  • edited 2015-06-24 06:08:40

Odradek said:

ba-dum tssh :P

well to be fair here's what I know or can tell:

N/S axis seems to be about character focus vs. setting focus.
    E/W axis seems to be about fantasy vs. reality, and E side's description makes sense to me, but I'm not sure why W side says "classical methods" specifically -- not sure if that's meant to be in contrast to something.

Shows:
    * Honey and Clover - heard of
    * Kamen Rider - know somewhat
    * Vagabond - don't recognize
    * Rokudenashi Blues - don't recognize
    * Naruto - mainly know
    * A Perfect Day for Lovers - don't recognize
    * One Piece - know somewhat
    * Black Jack - heard of
    * Fist of the North Star - heard of
    * Sazae-San - heard of
    * Touch - don't recognize
    * Kochikame - don't recognize
    * Golgo 13 - don't recognize
    * Joe of Tomorrow - don't recognize
    * Doraemon - heard of
    * Jojo - heard of
    * Yu-Gi-Oh! - know somewhat
    * Dragonball - know somewhat
    * Mickey Mouse - wait, what?
    * Put It All in the Ring - don't recognize
    * Death Note - heard of
    * Akira - heard of / know somewhat
    * Bastard!! - heard of / don't recognize
    * Captain Tsubasa - heard of? / don't recognize
    * Kamui - either this has to do with the doujin shmup of the same name, or more likely, i don't recognize it
    * Cobra - don't recognize
    * GeGeGe no Kitaro - don't recognize
    * Babel II - don't recognize
    * the works of Yukinobu Hoshino - I looked him up and don't recognize any of his works.

...actually, come to think of it, are all these manga?  because that might explain why I've never even heard of a number of them.

But yeah, what I was trying to do was, I find these sorts of charts quite interesting, so I was trying to make sense of it, but didn't fully understand the axes.  So I tried using the stuff placed in the graph to make sense of it but realized that I didn't recognize most of the series.
    Vagabond is a manga about Miyamoto Mushashi, one of Japan's most famous swordsman who founded the Niten Ichi-ryū school of japanese swordsmanship. The story for the manga is based on Eiji Yoshikawa's novel Musashi, which is a fictionalized account of Musash's life, following him as he grows up from kind of a punk who goes around challenging people for fame into a formidable swordsman and respected warrior. Also, it has some of my favorite artwork in manga and in general.

Rokudenashi Blues is delinquent themed boxing manga about a delinquent who wants to become the world champion in boxing. Haven't read it yet.

Touch is manga about baseball. On my to read list.

Kochikame is apparently a comedy manga, but the only thing I know about it is that it has over 1800 chapters and 195 collected volumes.

Golgo 13 is about an assassin for hire. That's all I know about it.

Joe of Tomorrow is another boxing manga about troubled young man who learns about boxing while in a juvenile prison and then follows his career as a boxer outside of prison.

Put It All in the Ring is another boxing manga.

Captain Tsubasa -soccer manga. Don't know anything about is though

GeGeGe no Kitaro is a manga by Shigeru Mizuki, who has done incredibly of amount of manga, but I mainly know him for his work on horror manga. Kitaro is the main character of the manga who is a yokai who was raised for a time by human parents before his actual father finds and raises him. It follows his misadventures in the human world. I remember it being pretty fun to read.

Can't help you on the others.
  • I'm caught up w/ the jojos

stardust crusaders was not as good as battle tendency
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Nothing can be as good as Battle Tendency.

Unrelatedly, I started watching Golden Time for some reason.
    naney said:

I'm caught up w/ the jojos

stardust crusaders was not as good as battle tendency

Stardust Crusaders is a lot of figuring out Stands and what to do with them.

Diamond is Unbreakable is more fun, because it's practically slice of life, but with superpower battles here and there.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-06-30 01:16:28

"While Kantai Collection have girls based on different battleships and cruisers, Aniplex Mobile’s latest game, Kaden Shojo, has girls based on various household appliances with Puzzle & Dragons-like gameplay."

I wonder if the reason why Madoka and co. are in it is because the company making the game and the company that has the rights to the Madoka series' are owned by the same parent company (Aniplex).
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i admit, i lol'd at toaster girl having the anime toast hanging from her mouth
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-06-30 02:20:22

Are people planning on watching any of the summer season shows?

I plan to watch Non Non Biyori Repeat. The first season is one of my favorite slice of life shows and it does not look like the low key, country atmosphere of the show is going to change, so I will probably enjoy season 2 too. I sort of hope that the main cast is in their next year of school, but I would not be too surprised if they decided to keep things as they are given that "Repeat" is in the title.
  • I am going to be watching My Monster Secret because I like the manga it's based off of, even if the marketing has made me a bit wary so far, as well as the third season of WORKING!!

maybe Wakaba Girl too.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Are people planning on watching any of the summer season shows?

I plan to watch Non Non Biyori Repeat. The first season is one of my favorite slice of life shows and it does not look like the low key, country atmosphere of the show is going to change, so I will probably enjoy season 2 too. I sort of hope that the main cast is in their next year of school, but I would not be too surprised if they decided to keep things as they are given that "Repeat" is in the title.
    Durarara!! x2 Ten (I've been enjoying Durarara!! and Durarara!! Shou a great deal so far), probably check out Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou, Code Geass: Boukoku no Akito 4 (if I catch up on the prior parts), Akatauki no Yona (if I catch up on the series proper and enjoy it, which looks up my alley), and Gangsta from a quick skimming. I recognize close to all of them, though I'm only tentatively interested in a select few at the moment. This might change as I find out more information on the lineup.
  • Chaos Dragon! Chaos Dragon!
  • LW said:

"While Kantai Collection have girls based on different battleships and cruisers, Aniplex Mobile’s latest game, Kaden Shojo, has girls based on various household appliances with Puzzle & Dragons-like gameplay."

I wonder if the reason why Madoka and co. are in it is because the company making the game and the company that has the rights to the Madoka series' are owned by the same parent company (Aniplex).

I was wondering what that was.

Someone showed me the link, and I didn't make sense of it other than "this appears to feature MadoMagi characters".