Anime

Comments

• Waver's fake grandparents, the news anchor, the uh...

I think that's it.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    What I think this proves is that the true progressive move would be making Waver female.

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Acererak said:

You forgot Rider, Caster, Berserker and Lancer, though.

Servants were guaranteed to die from the word go. It's what they do when they aren't called Saber or Gil.
    Calica said:

Who in Fate/Zero survives that isn't in Fate/Stay Night, other than Waver?

Depends on your definition of survives in this context. I mean, Kiritsugu and Cornelius are still alive, even if they die pre-F/SN and in KnK respectively.
  • Kariya was guaranteed to die too, just sayin'
    Acererak said:

Kariya was guaranteed to die too, just sayin'

That's not what I meant and you know it.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Servants were never really alive anyway and so they don't count.
  • edited 2015-05-23 08:27:09
    The Fate/Zero dub is eeeeeeeh

I mean, there are some really good VAs who are really well-cast (I love Jamieson Price and Crispin Freeman is sexy as Kotomine), but there are a lot more eeeeeeeh actors

Kinda disappointing. The Magi dub (by the same dubbing studio, I think) was really good.
  • Joshiraku is an anime about a group of rakugo performers and consists almost entirely of dialogue and strange scenarios.

the manga it's based off of is by the Sayonara, Zetsubou-sensei guy so I guess it being weird isn't that surprising but

it's

it's really weird.
  • kill living beings
    good old rakugo
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    the main thing I know about the F/0 dub is the actors they chose for Waver and Rider could easily get away with cosplaying Waver and Rider in real life
  • edited 2015-05-25 03:19:54

nya~

that's one cool cat
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    That is a pretty good voice.
  • I have never felt compelled to rewatch a show for the dub until now
  • I appreciate how Rin Tohsaka, despite being a tsundere, acts like an actual fucking human being and not some strange creature that switches between being a moe-blob and a humanoid typhoon of physical abuse
  • I could handle Maka Albarn in Soul Eater because Soul Eater's deliberately cartoony and over-the-top, but other examples usually make me want to punch something
  • naney said:

so, in the log horizon dub Nyanta has this incredible suave-as-fuck black dude voice it's so good

i saw that cat and wondered whether I was watching one of the .hack// subseries
  • On episode 4 of Psycho-Pass. Show's starting to get up its own ass again.
  • i couldnt get past the first episode tbh
  • edited 2015-05-30 06:47:12
    Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    psycho-pass has some rough bits but overall i liked it

psycho-pass 2, on the other hand, fuuuuuuuuck psycho-pass 2.

it makes the first season look restrained in its use of violence and makes no goddamn sense to boot
  • It does a good job at making interesting characters but seems really ham-fisted and pretentious sometimes.

Doesn't mean I'm not going to watch it.

• 3 episodes deep into Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl

no idea what to make of it

at all.

it's not even that it's weird, it's just that it's pretending to be a slice of life show right now, and I know things are going to pop off in some direction eventually, but I'm not sure how or when.

there's plenty of clues that something weird is going on. You don't bring up shit like a girl going missing for several months and being found floating in the sea, and the mother never remembering conceiving her without it leading somewhere.
  • in a way

I really like anime (and media in general) like this because like usually when something weird or strange or supernatural is a main plot element, the characters find out about it super early on. That moment of discovery, where the characters' old lives crack apart beneath them and they discover the truth of their universe, and if it's a good show, that we share with them, is usually incredibly short--15 or so minutes--if it happens at all.

shows like this extend that and unspool it over the course of a whole series, creating an underlying mystery. Maybe something'll happen, maybe something won't, but it's more interesting than if they had just told us from day one. If it DOES happen, we won't know what until we get there.
  • apparently there is a bad guy in sword art online named DeathGun

and one of his lines is "DeathGun is my name and the name of my gun.... My gun brings death."

this makes me want to see this
    That sounds amazing but don't because Sword Art Online is bad.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    my brother insists that Sword Art Online is great

i haven't seen it but most things he has recommended me have been enjoyable
    actually, i'm curious

what's wrong with it?
    Your name is Hope, you give us Hope.
  • Tachyon said:

actually, i'm curious

what's wrong with it?

I haven't seen anything past the first episode, but I have heard that it's wish-fulfillment-y and might also poorly characterize the female lead as a result.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Tachyon said:

actually, i'm curious

what's wrong with it?

It just seems dumb and wish fulfillment-y.
    fair enough

i was thinking of maybe at some point binging a lot of kids' action series as research for a thing, maybe i'll watch it when i do that and make up my own mind
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    SAO has a predictable plot alongside boring characters and weak characterization for almost everyone, alongside a gross wish fulfillment overall vibe to it. The last I don't take inherent issue with in this, but it shows as a weakness when every other aspect isn't much to write home about. This is just a tired summary of the show, mind, and I've only seen ~16 episodes of the first season. Nonetheless, if you want VRMMORPG drama and the like, go to Log Horizon, not SAO. If you want, I could PM you my thoughts in full later (I just don't like talking about it, and publicly there are a lot more fun things to discuss than that boring show).
  • kill living beings
    also .hack

wheeeee jumps off a cliff
    i don't particularly want a VRMMORPG drama at all tbh, it's not a concept that particularly interests me

to clarify, for 'the thing' i was planning on watching a fair amount of bad cartoons, to get a feel for the cliches

(this may not be a thing i end up doing)
    Well, it's definitely not a show worth watching, so go for it, I guess.
    not gonna do that right now, anyway

tho while you're here:

PSG: which is better, sub or dub?
    I don't have any preference per se, honestly. Both are really good in my eyes, although I'll have to go with the dub for - in my eyes - getting the Anarchy sisters' irreverence across better. Admittedly I'm focusing on that aspect due to not having watched through all of the sub in years, and there are definitely things I don't have the energy to elaborate on at the moment. But I'd go with it, it definitely works well.
    ok, thank you!
  • edited 2015-05-31 17:34:04
    Tachyon said:

actually, i'm curious

what's wrong with it?

SAO is legit for...three episodes. Mind, it's not great, but it's tolerable.

It's around episode 4 when things really start to suck. Basically an interesting premise and honestly fantastic visuals are wasted because the author has zero grasp on romance, character development, tension, subversion of audience expectations, drama, comedy, or any method of keeping the viewer invested other than its male power fantasy protagonist.
  • Anyway, I'm fine with dubs. I usually watch, like, one episode (the first, usually) of the dub to see if it's worth following. 
    i asked my brother what was so good about it and he said the soundtrack mostly, and also the first season had a good story and there was one particular antagonist who was really nasty in a way that was really hatable and made you want to see them get taken down

i asked what he thought of the criticism that it was wish-fulfillment and he said he didn't think it was
    You know what's a good Shonen? Hunter X Hunter
  • edited 2015-05-31 17:37:26
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    yeah i wanna watch that

You're the second person to recommend it to me i think
  • Tachyon said:

the soundtrack mostly

Eeeeeh, it's OK.

And oh yeah, it totally is wish-fulfillment. The protagonist (Kirito) describes himself as "nerdy, shy and awkward" despite possessing none of those traits, and his assessment of his abilities is never shown to be skewed. 

Basically it exists so that teenage nerds can pretend that they're brave and powerful and badass. It's wish-fulfillment at its finest, and not even entertaining wish-fulfillment at that. 
  • Panurge said:

You know what's a good Shonen? Hunter X Hunter

Yeah do this. It's cooler than Yu Yu Hakusho, which I just found boring.
    ^^ yeah i'm not doubting you or anyone here, just relaying his opinion i guess

He got me into a bunch of shows that i liked to a greater or lesser extent (FMA, One Piece, Baccano!, Fairy Tail) so i tend to trust his opinions, but it sounds like he's wrong on this one
    oh also Death Note, which isn't one of my favourites but it was reasonably entertaining
  • Man, one problem I have with the Fate series is that they have really cool world-building but it's not very well integrated. 

Like, there's a lot of abilities that seem to come out of nowhere because the show assumes you've gone through all the info-books on the matter. 

This is present in both Fate/Zero and UBW, although the former had less instances of that happening.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    ^^ I liked Death Note when I was younger, and I remember really liking L in particular.

I want to rewatch it at some point because I'm curious if I'd still like it, but it's low-priority on my list ATM.
    The rumors of a Death Note movie have resurfaced, incidentally.

With Adam Wingard of all people as the director.