The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• i wanna go into Philadelphia proper tomorrow and go thrift shopping
  • Bow before your Queen, lowly mortals! Central Avenue’s eternal 8-year-old. [she/her]
    I can't believe the 2014 is almost over :(
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    naney said:

hopefully he'll get internet back in the next few days so we can watch stuff

I'd suggest that one of you trip by the library for a couple of hours and download whatever you'd like to watch, but I'm not sure if that would be feasible.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

IQ is bullshit

As are secret handshakes

No, those are goodshit
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Anonus

You need a WB shield cap
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Yes I do
  • the beau is reading a book aloud sideways
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I still kinda want Anonus to read me a story...
  • well if it's any consolation a book read sideways makes very little sense
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    DOS Perot: You boot it, it decides whether it wants to run
  • I still kinda want Anonus to read me a story...

Get him to read you 101 shades of Dalmations. 
    I wouldn't mind AU reading me The Hundred and One Dalmatians, actually
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

I still kinda want Anonus to read me a story...

Get him to read you 101 shades of Dalmations. 
    is that like furry BDSM or something
  • Calica said:you're right.  how dare atheists be proud of their beliefs.  if you're religious, it's a-ok to celebrate the things you believe in, but no god?  that's just wrong, and you should be ashamed
    also how dare you celebrate someone who believed weird things.  if you're an atheist, only being absolutely perfect is allowed.  conservapedia said so

But atheism isn't a belief; it's a
    lack of belief. By default it's something uncelebrateable. Antitheism is a belief, as is particularly emphatic secularism, or, hell, veneration of a particular scientific figure. But atheism in and of itself isn't a belief and as such can't really be celebrated. Like, what holiday can you make out of simply "No god?" I mean, I guess there's "Yay, people doing things of their own accord," but that isn't inherently atheistic in nature nor is it a belief inherent to atheism, in that under an atheistic system of beliefs the viewpoint that, as a counterpoint, everything is a result of predetermined genetic destiny (being that even if nature makes a smaller portion of identity than nurture, nurture is still informed by other people's nature) can just as well be derived from the (lack of) belief.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I never thought I would see Imagine Dragons play Zelda music, but I guess that happened
  • edited 2014-12-28 02:45:00
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Kexruct said:

Calica said:

you're right.  how dare atheists be proud of their beliefs.  if you're religious, it's a-ok to celebrate the things you believe in, but no god?  that's just wrong, and you should be ashamed

also how dare you celebrate someone who believed weird things.  if you're an atheist, only being absolutely perfect is allowed.  conservapedia said so
    But atheism isn't a belief; it's a lack of belief. By default it's something uncelebrateable. Antitheism is a belief, as is particularly emphatic secularism, or, hell, veneration of a particular scientific figure. But atheism in and of itself isn't a belief and as such can't really be celebrated. Like, what holiday can you make out of simply "No god?" I mean, I guess there's "Yay, people doing things of their own accord," but that isn't inherently atheistic in nature nor is it a belief inherent to atheism, in that under an atheistic system of beliefs the viewpoint that, as a counterpoint, everything is a result of predetermined genetic destiny (being that even if nature makes a smaller portion of identity than nurture, nurture is still informed by other people's nature) can just as well be derived from the (lack of) belief.
    It's an identity.  You can celebrate an identity.

Also, a lot of atheists believe in secular humanism, which i can understand wanting to celebrate.
  • neil degrace tyson isnt an atheist

i feel like i need to point this out in case it hasnt been earlier
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Isn't he agnostic?
  • edited 2014-12-28 02:55:42
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Wikipedia said:

When asked during a question session at the University of Buffalo if he believed in a higher power, Tyson responded: "Every account of a higher power that I've seen described, of all religions that I've seen, include many statements with regard to the benevolence of that power. When I look at the universe and all the ways the universe wants to kill us, I find it hard to reconcile that with statements of beneficence."[46][47]:341 In an interview with Big Think, Tyson said, "So what people are really after is my stance on religion or spirituality or God, and I would say if I had to find a word that came closest, I would say agnostic ... at the end of the day I'd rather not be any category at all."[48] During the interview "Called by the Universe: A conversation with Neil deGrasse Tyson" in 2009, Tyson said: "I can't agree to the claims by atheists that I'm one of that community. I don't have the time, energy, interest of conducting myself that way... I'm not trying to convert people. I don't care."[49]

Hm... i can understand feeling that way (why should disbelief in God mean you have to be part of a 'community'?), but to my mind, if you don't actually believe in God or gods, then you're atheist by definition. Agnostic is kind of a different thing that overlaps with it, it's like, the position that we don't or can't know, as opposed to being convinced that atheism must be absolutely true.

Not that it matters i guess, i'm not about to tell anyone what they can or can't call themselves, but it sounds like he is an atheist.
    NdGT is charismatic and well-spoken, but sometimes he says stupid things. Still miles better a science role model than Dawkins.
    He's an acceptable modern day Carl Sagan.
    i watched a video once where they spoke together.  Tyson seemed to know a ton of things besides astrophysics and was easily the more entertaining speaker.  Dawkins seemed kind of in awe of him.
  • Tyson himself is fine, I just kind of get tired of the circlejerk surrounding him.

In fact I would be willing to bet that he gets tired of the circlejerk surrounding him.

Also it bothers me that a ton of quotes are often misattributed to him when they were said by other people.
    Isn't that like a meme?  Misattributing quotes to him and seeing how many redditors believe it was him?
  • Tachyon said:

Isn't that like a meme?  Misattributing quotes to him and seeing how many redditors believe it was him?

It eventually became a meme, but only because people did it so often already anyway.
    Also there was that baffling interview he gave where he said asking too many questions about epistemological foundations leads to nihilism, which is a strange position for a scientist to take at the very least.
    That sounds like a strange position for anyone to take...

Was it one of those sceptic-as-boogieman type things?
  • I keep forgetting that skeptic is spelled with a C after the S in the UK and thinking you're talking about septic tanks for some reason.
    I'm not sure where people get the idea of philosophy as the practice where people smoke weed and come up with armchair ideas as to what goes on in black holes
  • I don't think most people actually know much about philosophy, nor do they know anyone who studies it, so the isolation lets the stereotypes just perpetuate ad infinitum.

It doesn't help that even basic philosophy is pretty complex, so it's not really something you can teach in say, grade school, to give everyone a basic understanding of it.

But honestly this is just the sort of thing that bugs me about discussion about Tyson, he's not a philosopher nor a philosophy student, so him having a poor understanding of philosophy is completely expected.
    it's ok, if i'm breaking out words like 'sceptic' like i know what i'm talking about chances are i'm talking shit anyways

in other news the LWA2 Kickstarter updated a few days ago.
  • Tachyon said:

it's ok, if i'm breaking out words like 'sceptic' like i know what i'm talking about chances are i'm talking shit anyways

#SelfRekt
    I think the idea of a renaissance man who knows something about everything is still alive in a time where that's basically impossible. So people ask scientific experts about things they're not experts in, and they give answers because hey, it's an interview why not, and then dumbasses take it as gospel.
  • Panurge said:

I think the idea of a renaissance man who knows something about everything is still alive in a time where that's basically impossible. So people ask scientific experts about things they're not experts in, and they give answers because hey, it's an interview why not, and then dumbasses take it as gospel.

You can't even trust scientists to know much about fields of science they haven't studied. 

Astrophysics and virology have little in common, for example.
  • My attitude on these things is to defer to experts, but to make sure the people you're deferring to are actually experts.
    Tachyon said:

Heh
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    The solution to Windows issues is to install Linux.
    And then enjoy your Linux issues!

Which is to say, now your problems are your fault, not the software's.
  • Linux is for two kinds of people

1. fuckin' nerds
    2. people who actually know how computers work
    there is some overlap in the categories

in any case I am not that kind of nerd, nor do I know how computers work.

as annoying as Windows is, I know Linux would just frustrate me more.