The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Same.
  • also like fully 80% at least of the games I own wouldn't work on a Linux.
    i can see learning to use Linux being rewarding, but i'm not sure i have the patience to teach myself.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    moo
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Tachyon said:

And then enjoy your Linux issues!

Which is to say, now your problems are your fault, not the software's.

now they're ati's fault or whoever
  • kill living beings
    wow that's a pretty sad xkcd comic
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Being a Renaissance Man was easier when there was less to know.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    That's why Doc Savage only could exist in 1911.
    I have heard it said that it's actually impossible to be a Renaissance Man (polymath) now just because of the vast increase of knowledge
  • Honestly it was probably always impossible. It was just easier to look like you knew everything a few hundred years ago.
    g(3,3,3)
  • Tre said:

non-copyright-infringing Displacer Beast from Adventure Time confirmed for Neil deGrasse Tyson

• Tachyon said: Kexruct said: Calica said:you're right.  how dare atheists be proud of their beliefs.  if you're religious, it's a-ok to celebrate the things you believe in, but no god?  that's just wrong, and you should be ashamed
    also how dare you celebrate someone who believed weird things.  if you're an atheist, only being absolutely perfect is allowed.  conservapedia said so

But atheism isn't a belief; it's a lack of belief. By default it's something uncelebrateable. Antitheism is a belief, as is particularly emphatic secularism, or, hell, veneration of a particular scientific figure. But atheism in and of itself isn't a belief and as such can't really be celebrated. Like, what holiday can you make out of simply "No god?" I mean, I guess there's "Yay, people doing things of their own accord," but that isn't inherently atheistic in nature nor is it a belief inherent to atheism, in that under an atheistic system of beliefs the viewpoint that, as a counterpoint, everything is a result of predetermined genetic destiny (being that even if nature makes a smaller portion of identity than nurture, nurture is still informed by other people's nature) can just as well be derived from the (lack of) belief.

It's an identity.  You can celebrate an identity.

Also, a lot of atheists believe in secular humanism, which i can understand wanting to celebrate.

Again, I dunno if it's so much an identity in and of itself so much as a collection of traits assembled under the banner of atheism when none of those traits are inherent to atheism. Not a perfect comparison, but imagine if people celebrated the concept of theism in general. Not a particular religion, just identifying with
    any religion. It's kind of meaningless to celebrate because theism in and of itself implies almost nothing about an identity aside from traits more-or-less arbitrarily assigned to it.

For this reason, celebration of atheism most often takes the form of implied intellectual or moral superiority over theists; in other words, it becomes not about lack of belief, but disdain for belief. Secular humanism is another form and it's quite a bit better, but by my estimation it seems quite a degree less common. I can't think of any adequate manner to celebrate atheism without throwing other identities into the mix because atheism is either a lack of an identity or an identity that is too broad to actually pin down any traits inherent to the identity than can be celebrated.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Sometimes I feel weird

I could never really get into AT

It took me ages to really get into Dexter's Lab, but I enjoyed Cow and Chicken, a show that seems to have rubbed most people the very, very wrong way, and when I was a kid, I preferred Looney Tunes and the MGM shorts to most of the Cartoon Cartoons

then again my mind also went "eww" at the second and third seasons of Johnny Bravo at first, whereas most people didn't seem to notice the difference
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Atheism is the belief that there is no god and it's just as valid as any religion.
  • kill living beings
    @mbeisen said:

people have every right to be pissed about @neiltyson's isaac newton tweet - he failed to account for Julian to Gregorian switch

oh shit
  • @mbeisen said:

people have every right to be pissed about @neiltyson's isaac newton tweet - he failed to account for Julian to Gregorian switch

oh shit
    #rekt
  • when I said "Proud Atheist" I put it in quotation marks for a reason.

It's the name of a tumblr blog (and an associated twitter account I think) a lot of these people seem to reblog from. Much of what it posts (that I see anyway) is only tangentially related to atheism, and much of that is kind of half-baked.

I don't really have any problem with atheism in of itself.
  • Me saying earlier that I shouldn't post when I'm tired was kind of an indication that I didn't really want to talk about this anymore.

Not that I can stop anyone, but still. We could be talking about more interesting things.

Like frogs or something.
  • Atheism is the belief that there is no god and it's just as valid as any religion.
    I'm aware of what atheism means. I'm not questioning the validity of disbelief; I'm stating that disbelief isn't equivalent to a specific belief. 

Specific secular sets of belief- secular humanism and its ilk- are beliefs because they describe things believed in, not beliefs excluded. 

There's a reason why Proud Atheism will invoke either antitheism or secular humanism.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I have Linux on this machine, but then I've been using a Unix of some sort since 1995, and I was playing with DOS before that. 

These days, if you want something that just works, you skip the desktop and get an Android device...even Windows can be incredibly frustrating at times (I hate you so much Windows Update).
  • That's not to imply that it is a less important or valid thing to identify with, just that the makeup of atheism as an identity is fundamentally different in its negativity to a positive belief.

Negative and positive are kinda loaded words but my attempt was to use them in the most neutral manner possible.
    on the farm

on the farm

.decide sheep pig | chicken who wants to be a dog
    o_O
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    depress
  • Press the Amy key and release a gorilla. 

@mbeisen said:

oh shit
    #rekt
    rekt status:

[ ]not rekt
    [X]rekt
    Today in "Strange Occurrences" : I was just looking through the VHS tapes, and I found a opy of Mulan that had been cued to "I'll Make a Man Out of You".
    what else have you found?
    THere's not much in here at the moment. ...an old copy of the first X-Men movie, a Key Video print of Blue Hawaii, The Best of Friends, and that's about it.
    Kexruct said:

Atheism is the belief that there is no god and it's just as valid as any religion.
    I'm aware of what atheism means. I'm not questioning the validity of disbelief; I'm stating that disbelief isn't equivalent to a specific belief. 

Specific secular sets of belief- secular humanism and its ilk- are beliefs because they describe things believed in, not beliefs excluded. 

There's a reason why Proud Atheism will invoke either antitheism or secular humanism.
    i'm not seeing the significance of the "belief in the existence of"/"belief in the lack of" distinction you're drawing here.  Shared religious identity isn't about some single shared belief, it's about a whole set of shared beliefs and traditions, and practicing those traditions.

But i'd maintain there *is* a shared atheist identity with its own set of traditions and heroes and associated ideas, and that's probably the "community" that NdGT said he wasn't interested in being a part of.
    Anonus said:

It took me ages to really get into Dexter's Lab, but I enjoyed Cow and Chicken, a show that seems to have rubbed most people the very, very wrong way, and when I was a kid, I preferred Looney Tunes and the MGM shorts to most of the Cartoon Cartoons

then again my mind also went "eww" at the second and third seasons of Johnny Bravo at first, whereas most people didn't seem to notice the difference
    i'm fairly sure i was much too young to notice the difference between the seasons of JB (i can't even remember what was what season, since they were shown out of sequence), but i did like Cow and Chicken.  i disliked the art immensely, but i watched it because my brother was into it and i found much that was amusing.

i always did prefer the old Looney Tunes shorts to, like, all of the Cartoon Cartoons (that i've seen).  i don't know if i'd feel the same way now, but Looney Tunes struck me as being quite witty at times, and also as having a particular kind of charm that i guess is probably to do with their age.
    From what I've been seeing, yeah, there is something of a "bro-atheist" identity (or stereotype, at least); fedoras and watching people like Thunderf00t and The Amazing Atheist are said to be involved.
    That's not really what i was talking about, although it's certainly connected to it.

There are atheist communities that are at least marginally less shitty and un-self-aware than that.
    Actually no, that's not fair at all, some of them are considerably less shitty and un-self-aware
    i noticed tumblr seems to have a privilege blindspot where atheists are concerned

that's not to say that atheists are an oppressed group in somewhere like the UK

but tumblr at large doesn't seem to have a problem stereotyping the entire movement as tedious, anally-retentive, misogynistic boors

it's not as bad as the thing with white girls where tumblr itself sounds sexist at times, but it's along the same lines i guess
    Actually, what does an atheist community even look like? Do people just stand around and talk about how much they don't believe in God?

Because I'm hugely religious and I've been to theist communities and that's pretty much all we do. Stand around and talk about how much we believe in God.
    That doesn't sound like any church i've ever been to.

Christians talk about, like, how the exams are going, or what we did over the holidays, or stuff that's been in the news recently.

Sometimes religion comes up but you don't stand there talking about it continuously
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    What would you guys recommend for headphones in the $20 range?
  • edited 2014-12-28 12:45:28
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    No, I mean when we're specifically there to discuss our beliefs, that's all we do.

I just don't see people specifically discussing why they don't believe in something or refrain from doing something.
    i think you can discuss that, and i can see people doing that

but atheists gathering *specifically* to discuss their beliefs doesn't seem like it'd happen often

can't help on the headphones thing, sorry, the products and prices are different here anyway
    i suppose when i say i can see people doing that, i'm talking about people raised in countries where religion is the presumed default and where being an atheist means adopting a belief different from that of your parents and most of your peers

people would need a reason for doing that, and talking about that reason doesn't seem out of the question
    Tachyon said:

i think you can discuss that, and i can see people doing that

but atheists gathering *specifically* to discuss their beliefs doesn't seem like it'd happen often

can't help on the headphones thing, sorry, the products and prices are different here anyway

context for that last post, lost on the bottom of the page

serves me right for doubleposting, i know
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    Linux is fun!
    Linux is sexy.