Sredni Vashtar Reads Homestuck

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I'm not necessarily saying that they themselves are certain to have any particular importance—they have lost a significant degree of agency, and that is annoying—but that the action itself might be important in some bizarre roundabout way. Consider that nearly every throwaway gag in the comic from the first few acts has had some kind of importance later, even if it is simply a recurring motif of sorts. Having most of the sympathetic side characters say, "Screw this, I quit," moments before something really important happens is not inconsequential.
    OK, since I am now caught up on Homestuck...

Is there a Problem Sleuth thread?
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    ummm no. ^_^ There was a general MSPA thread once but it got deleted I think. The Homestuck thread or webcomics thread is fine though, unless you want to make a thread about it. :) Problem Sleuth is very convoluted compared to most webcomics but it does not come anywhere close to Homestuck's order of magnitude, in either length or complexity. It is still funny and great though. :D
    Yes.

I have noticed that the telephone symbols correspond to the charms involved in leprechaun romance. Given Pickle Inspector's elf paintings, the connection is amusing to say the least.
  • edited 2013-08-01 14:15:23
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    HS has many references to Problem Sleuth, which has references to Bard Quest and Jailbreak, and HS also takes influence from Hussie's old comics (i.e. the lusii are probably based on Humanimals, the rap battles are from And It Don't Stop, the clowns are from Whistles, and also he was always obsessed with horses for some reason). :)
    I got that the lusus naturae were from Humanimals pretty early on, although I was not aware that the rap battles were a callback.
  • If there's one thing that Homestuck has taught me, it's that horses are hilarious.

The phrase "majestic stallion" cracks me up.
    In order to underline the silliness, you must flex while saying it.
  • Yarrun XIX said:I think Ali means more 'why does Hussie spend time writing Cronus scenes when he could be writing adorable stuff about Nep and Equius'.

Which is understandable.

That's easy, though.  Hussie doesn't really
    do adorable, at least not for extended periods of time.  This isn't that story.
  • You know, I really don't like the notion that Hussie is in any way obligated to do what anyone but him wants to do with the story.
  • Eh, I can understand wanting a story to go in a different direction.
  • He's not obligated to do anything.

Buuuuuuuut, people are still going to want different things, and they should be allowed to want.
    I actually agree with Kexruct here. While I can full well understand the desire for a different focus from time to time, much of what makes the story as striking as it is is the consequence of Hussie moulding the form to fit the narrative; to say what he should or should not do with the narrative seems to be counterintuitive in some respects, beyond being a little presumptuous.

I will freely admit that I really like Nepeta and would not mind seeing her used more, even if it is in a tangential fashion. She is, I think, a pretty good example of Andrew Hussie's ability to write a character that would ordinarily be cloying or obnoxious with enough nuance that they are genuinely charming and interesting. The same goes for Equius, and to a lesser extent many of the more focused-upon characters like Terezi or Dave. They have schticks, but they are endearing because they have actual characters.

The problem is that characters like that tend to fall to the wayside when the main story gains speed. Which is, again, understandable if frustrating. Then again, that he has not resorted to eliminating such characters entirely is a relief... and provocative, seeing as it leaves open the possibility of him pulling out something completely unexpected if he really wanted to, or doing nothing in particular and just leaving me shrugging.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Kexruct said:

You know, I really don't like the notion that Hussie is in any way obligated to do what anyone but him wants to do with the story.

I never said that he was obligated.  I just said that I'm ticked that he does stuff that I don't want him to.

Oh, wait, I'm sorry I disagreed with you.

You're right.  I'm wrong.  Sorry.
  • No, that's fine Aliroz.

Yeesh, I spend so much time and energy trying to get people to agree with me but when I do I just kind of feel like a jerk.
    (2015 self)
    It's not you, I do this whenever anyone disagrees with me.

Seriously, ask the folks at Yack Fest.
  • edited 2014-07-09 16:19:42
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Reminder that as soon as this the FINAL UPD8 rolls around I am reviving this thread with aplomb.
  • edited 2014-07-11 15:18:13
    fight. dream. horse. love.
    I really need to reread HS before that comes around

I think I lost track of the story around the time of the Scratch/Roxy Jake Dirk and Jane...

• edited 2014-07-11 15:18:03
    Getting lost at that point makes sense, really...
    (2015 self)
    I never really cared much for or about the Alpha kids.  I didn't like them, didn't dislike them.  I just didn't care.

Reminder that as soon as this the FINAL UPD8 rolls around I am reviving this thread with aplomb.

Reminder to myself, because goddamnitall, Hussie, when are you even going to say something or something? I need closure. The world needs closure. Also, I miss liveblogging, and liveblogging stuff like Vattu just would not have worked half as well.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    It seems like most of the people that were reading Homestuck are reading Cucumber Quest in the meantime.
    Cucumber Quest is my jam, but I'm caught up, and waiting makes me sad. I like to read continuous stories continuously. Which means that I might have to literally wait months for enough story to accumulate to occupy me for a few days. Homestuck occupied me for two whole weeks, sometimes for fourteen hours at a go; if I had not slowed down at points and rested my brain, it would have taken me perhaps half that time, given how much of a potato chip experience it is. And a unique one, in many respects: It was more like watching a television show or reading a very strange novel than a comic per se.
  • Homestuck really is quite wonderful, isn't it? A lot of people got burnt out but that's only because it was just a thing to get fandom-y over and fandoms are basically just fads.
  • ...that was pretentious, my apologies.
  • edited 2014-08-20 23:38:23
    Fandoms are weird as hell.

That said, Homestuck strikes me as one of those things that should be a real acquired taste that a strangely large number of people seem to share for whatever reason. I mean, it's really postmodern and self-referential and it has a stupidly involved mythology behind it that is at once deadly serious and completely absurd and making fun of its seriousness and absurdity through its own mechanics. The humour is at once lowbrow and highbrow, and it's about as far from "high-concept entertainment" as you can get without going full Joyce.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Troll romance is the secret of Hussie's success.
    I know you're joking, but...

Sort of?

Stuff that would normally be pander-y is brought up in canon and lampooned relentlessly while still being taken fairly seriously in some circumstances. It makes it easy to accept those things and enjoy them without guilt or irony while still recognising that they are kind of dumb, and that can be rather reassuring.

Hussie also tends to head off fan speculation or subvert expectations in some really fluky and entertaining ways, which can be pretty engaging. It's very textbook "art as communication," but in the best way possible.
    I was overstating a point for comedic effect, but not completely joking. Hussie did say (on his now-defunct Formspring account) that Homestuck had a huge spike in popularity once "Hivebent" was underway.

I legitimately think that the greater focus on romance, and an interesting setting that was practically begging for fanfic writers to cram their bad original characters into, attracted a lot of readers who otherwise would never have bothered. So that's how Homestuck made the leap from being something for Dinosaur Comics fans, to being one of the those fandoms big enough to get blamed for ruining the internet.
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    as you can get without going full Joyce.
    I keep hearing comparisons to Joyce, and it always confuzzles me because I associate that name with Big Serious Literary Importance which is a weird thing to associate with Homestuck

do you think you could explain it?
    I'm not Sred, but the one comparison I've heard is that Ulysses, Finnegan's Wake, and Homestuck are all hard to understand (Homestuck less so because whenever something baffling happens, an explanation comes up within the story itself eventually), play with spelling and grammar to tell us about the characters, and are dense with references. And because they all make you work to get your enjoyment, those who soldier through tend to be unusually defensive about them.
  • edited 2014-08-21 19:00:10

as you can get without going full Joyce.
    I keep hearing comparisons to Joyce, and it always confuzzles me because I associate that name with Big Serious Literary Importance which is a weird thing to associate with Homestuck

do you think you could explain it?
    I meant the comparison in this way: "High-concept" media plots can be summarised in a single sentence. The film version of Jaws is about scientists trying to stop a killer shark. Simple, straightforward, comprehensible. Now try to summarise the plot of Homestuck in a sentence in a way that meaningfully describes the action.

The best comparison to Homestuck in mainstream or experimental fiction probably wouldn't be Joyce, however, but maybe Pynchon or Vonnegut. Does that sound like I'm elevating it beyond its value? Only if you assume a value judgement or a pretence of importance. I'm not. I'm comparing storytelling style, humour and density.

And let's be blunt: Joyce loved dirty jokes and bad puns; Vonnegut did, too, and Pynchon certainly has his moments. The main differences come from format and cultural context.
  •  Now try to summarise the plot of Homestuck in a sentence in a way that meaningfully describes the action.
    "An altercation over business uniform causes a trans-universe slaughter that interferes with some kids' quest for self-realization."
    I do love that quip, but that sums up, what, the first half?

It also misses the entire Lord English thing, which by Act Six has consumed the entire narrative. It also ignores the whole running theme of vicious cycles.
    I'm nowhere near finished my second read-through of Problem Sleuth yet, but...

You know what?

Fuck it.

>SV: RESUME LIVEBLOG

ITS HAPENING BITCHES.
  • edited 2014-11-01 19:44:17
    Oh, jeez, the cakes. I had forgotten about this and it fills me with glee.
    "Quickly retrieve arms from drawer" remains one of my favourite gags in the whole comic. That and the bizarre pop culture references (and how they are framed) really do clue you in as to what kind of story this is going to be... but only in part.
  • edited 2014-11-01 19:54:25
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I just started reading Homestuck myself, so I can actually follow along with your re-reading. I'll comment if I can think of things to say, like now:

I know a lot of people hate the sylladex stuff, but I actually find it amusing.
    I missed the Fetch Modi. Love how that whole thing pays off. But yes, the stacking. That would be tremendously annoying.

I just started reading Homestuck myself, so I can actually follow along with your re-reading. I'll comment if I can think of things to say, like now:

Interesting that you should say that as I was speaking in praise of just that plot detail!

Good luck on your journey, fellow traveller.
  • edited 2014-11-01 19:59:48
    "Squawk like an imbecile and shit on your desk."

"It beckons."

This whole sequence, I swear.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

Interesting that you should say that as I was speaking in praise of just that plot detail!

Good luck on your journey, fellow traveller.
    Thanks!

I'm on Act 1 of Act 2 right now. I can't wait to see what Jade is like.
    Excellent!

...oh fuck, the ~ATH file on John's computer. I either completely missed or forgot that detail. I think I might remember what happened with it, but I'm not sure.
    I like how And It Don't Stop is among the games. Wonder how much Dave plays that one.
    "Could kill a cat."

Eep. ;_;

Love how much thought Hussie put into the silly little details.
  • edited 2014-11-01 20:38:03
    And Fancysantakind is among the original Strife Specibus abstrata. Playin' the long game, brah.
    "Sometimes you pray for burglars." I like that. Very Addams-y.

And there go the ashes. One forgets how clumsy John is.
    OK, Broblerone put me in stitches.
    The title animation where John is just standing in his yard on an empty street is pretty eerie and full of expectation. I've always really liked it for that.