Sredni Vashtar Reads Homestuck

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    TT: It's a bogus copy she coded herself. The real game file she downloaded is totally legit. 
    GG: What? Really? 
    TT: Got it right here myself. Checked it out. 
    TT: File's fuckin' clean as a whistle. 
    TT: A whistle that overcame a major substance abuse problem. Trying to get its life back on track. 
    TT: The whistle is holding down a steady job now. It's taking things one day at a time. 
    TT: Eat a fuckin' dinner off that whistle. 
    GG: ... 
    TT: Ok I'll shut up. 

It runs in the family, I see.
  • That's the best Dirk quote, and a lot of quotes were in the running.

I meant that Jane was the least popular of the alphas (though she's quite famous for being the 'chubby' character)

Among the Dancestors, I'd say that Latula has the least going for her.
    I have a friend who comes up with stuff like that at the drop of a hat. Coincidentally, he was a very early follower of Homestuck. I value his friendship.
    So, Roxy wanders through dream-bubbles when she sleepwalks in the Medium, thus unwittingly passing by a number of deceased (and living) characters from the previous universes.

Cooooool.
    "He does often profess his love for adventure, I suppose."

I am going to use this euphemism at least once in my life. It will be glorious.
    Soooooo...

An alternate version of Feferi reached god tier with Eridan, then both of them died, and her ghost ended up reviving the Wayward Vagabond, who rebuilt Can Town with Dave and Terezi. That is strange and wonderful.

Also, Karkat and capes, Ghostbusters II MMORPG... and who are UU and uu anyway? This could be terribly interesting.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    :D
  • Soooooo...

An alternate version of Feferi reached god tier with Eridan, then both of them died, and her ghost ended up reviving the Wayward Vagabond, who rebuilt Can Town with Dave and Terezi. That is strange and wonderful.

Also, Karkat and capes, Ghostbusters II MMORPG... and who are UU and uu anyway? This could be terribly interesting.
    If I remember correctly, you find out a lot more about UU and uu in Act 6 Act 3, so you should be getting close to finding out about them, given your current position in the story.
  • edited 2013-07-23 01:22:46
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Ah, OK!

On a somewhat related note, Meenah and Aranea have introduced themselves. Interesting how far afield they are from their descendents/ancestors—although in Meenah's case, quite similar to but less malevolent than her alternate self.
  • Ah, right, the dancestors.

Take great pleasure in those two. It just goes downhill from there.

Oh, don't be so dramatic, Yarrun. Just because one of the worst characters in Homestuck is coming up doesn't mean that he has to give up hope. There's still the magnificent conversation.

Oh, yeah, the magnificent conversation. Can't forget about that.
  • edited 2013-07-23 01:59:50
    Who, precisely, fulfils your definition of "the worst character in Homestuck," if I might ask? We have already dealt with Gamzee's baffling grotesquery (and will no doubt continue to); while things can always get worse, how is always an interesting question.

We've already met the Marquise Mindfang and Her Imperious Condescension's equivalents, as well as two others in the form of UU and uu. So, who next? Who is the nadir?
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    There are... a few more to come. ^_^
  • edited 2013-07-23 02:02:50

Who, precisely, fulfils your definition of "the worst character in Homestuck," 
    you do not understand, Hussie refers to the character as the worst character in homestuck in the comic itself.

though it is a joke character, as most of the dancestors are.

honestly i think you should skip Openbound and just like read the summary of it on the wiki.
  • One of the worst. Specifics are important.

Basically, there's this one dancestor who was intentionally written with no positive traits to speak of. And his entire existence revolves around being a jerk that nobody likes. You'll see.

^ There is one moment in the Openbound(s) that's worth seeing in-comic, a nice bit with Karkat and Terezi (albeit one that highlights the growing problem with Terezi's character, but we'll break that bottle when we get there). It's at the end of the second one, which also has the worst character and the magnificent conversation.

But yeah, I wouldn't fault you for skipping the other two. There's only one or two bits worth seeing in each one, and each one takes about 10-15 minutes.
    I never skip the interactive flash pages because I love those. :)
  • edited 2013-07-23 02:05:46
    ^^^ Skipping is for the weak! I am braver and stupider than that!

^^ This makes sense.

^ I do, too.
  • I mean, you'd skip them with the intention of coming back later, after you finish catching up.

Not like those mongrels who skipped the Intermission on their first run-through and never went back to it.
    Nay! I am of sterner stuff! Do you dare challenge my STRENGTH, Yarrunmace?
    So, now I'm on the DOTA homage section with Vriska and the stallions.

This is weird.
  • [Unlikable character's name redacted] apologists are just the worst.

Astounding how all of Tumblr's talk of ableism, sexism, and harassment go out the window when presented with an attractive character.
  • edited 2013-07-23 03:03:27

Who, precisely, fulfils your definition of "the worst character in Homestuck," if I might ask? We have already dealt with Gamzee's baffling grotesquery (and will no doubt continue to); while things can always get worse, how is always an interesting question.

You will definitely know them when you seem them. They're very skeezy and that's putting it mildly.

^ There is one moment in the Openbound(s) that's worth seeing in-comic, a nice bit with Karkat and Terezi (albeit one that highlights the growing problem with Terezi's character, but we'll break that bottle when we get there). It's at the end of the second one, which also has the worst character and the magnificent conversation.

Remind me again what the magnificent conversation is again.
    Kexruct said:

[Unlikable character's name redacted] apologists are just the worst.

Astounding how all of Tumblr's talk of ableism, sexism, and harassment go out the window when presented with an attractive character.

To be fair, I've never seen someone who falls into both the category of
    "[Unlikable character's name redacted] apologists" and is also someone
    who talks about ableism, sexism, and harassment. Then again, I rarely
    go on tumblr and even more rarely on Homestuck blogs, so I might be
    missing something.
  • edited 2013-07-23 03:40:11

You will definitely know them when you seem them. They're very skeezy and that's putting it mildly.
    Oh joy of joys. This should be fun.

I'm on the puzzle game with the skulls, by the way. Running it through the second time so as not to fail again...
    Am I a horrible person if I thought that Gamzee's salesman schtick was funny? I mean, yes, it is definitely disturbing and I still feel awful about what happened to those characters, but the whole situation is just so very surreal. I don't know whether to be amused or appalled.

And in a strange way, I like that. The fact that it is silly makes the underlying reality of the situation even creepier. It keeps me on my toes, as it were.
    OK, the exploding Tavrisprite was amazing.
  • Am I a horrible person if I thought that Gamzee's salesman schtick was funny? I mean, yes, it is definitely disturbing and I still feel awful about what happened to those characters, but the whole situation is just so very surreal. I don't know whether to be amused or appalled.

And in a strange way, I like that. The fact that it is silly makes the underlying reality of the situation even creepier. It keeps me on my toes, as it were.
    Nah, I found it funny for much the same reason. It's the kind of situation where you laugh at the sheer absurdity of the situation and yet feel kind of sad about it at the same time. You laugh and then kind of wince for laughing.
  • edited 2013-07-23 04:41:09
    Yeah. It's that careful balance of the absurd and the repulsive that has so far kept me from seriously disliking Gamzee in the way that others seem to. That said... I'm still not entirely sure what his deal is. He is clearly absolutely insane, pretty much to the point of existing in disorganised serial killer territory, but every now and then he has one of those creepy lucid moments, or is just completely placid.

Bard of Rage. Definitely suits him well.
    Vriska and Tavros Fuck Shit Up: The Movie.

I would watch that...
  • Yeah. It's that careful balance of the absurd and the repulsive that has so far kept me from seriously disliking Gamzee in the way that others seem to.

Same here. For all the horrible things that he's done, there's something about him that the morbid side of me can't help but find amusing.

That said... I'm still not entirely sure what his deal is. He is clearly absolutely insane, pretty much to the point of existing in disorganised serial killer territory, but every now and then he has one of those creepy lucid moments, or is just completely placid.

Bard of Rage. Definitely suits him well.
    Hussie (as in Hussie the character in the story acting as the narrator, not Hussie the author) later during one of the Act 6 intermissions flat out says he has no idea what's going on inside Gamzee's head or his reasons for doing things. So yeah, even the narrator has no idea what his deal is.
    Dirk and Roxy arriving on Earth in the aftermath of the Condesce's reign of terror puts a lot of things into perspective...
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    It does. Consider that their speech is peppered with troll-isms.

Also, Tumblr's not some monolithical culture. It's a bunch of different people, congregating in different places, doing different things. You would do well to remember that.
  • edited 2013-07-23 06:14:28
    Yes, although "alternate universe nonsense" also occurred to me.

I assume that the second statement was directed at Kexruct, correct? Unless you are referencing how many of the trolls (in both generations) parody specific aspects of Internet culture, in which case I am quite aware.
  • edited 2013-07-23 06:17:45
    Speaking of all that...

Dream!Jake, Mind-Ghost!Dirk and Aranea. Most awkward not-exactly-a-date ever.

...on that note, Phantasmal Erection would make a great name for a somewhat tongue-in-cheek experimental tech-death outfit.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I was talking to Kextruct, yes. Sorry I didn't make that clear.
    Also, Tumblr's not some monolithical culture. It's a
    bunch of different people, congregating in different places, doing
    different things. You would do well to remember that.
    I have a similar feeling about the tumblrs. :)
  • Yeah. It's that careful balance of the absurd and the repulsive that has so far kept me from seriously disliking Gamzee in the way that others seem to. That said... I'm still not entirely sure what his deal is. He is clearly absolutely insane, pretty much to the point of existing in disorganised serial killer territory, but every now and then he has one of those creepy lucid moments, or is just completely placid.

Eh, well my issues with Gamzee are more concerning the 'let's not explain why or how he gets to places he shouldn't be able to get to and just have him do funny, creepy stuff' approach that Hussie takes with his character, particularly in Part 6.

I did like the bit with the potions though.

And the magnificent conversation is the one that solely uses gifs.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    So Jake had a date with a ghost? Man, another Ghostbusters REFRANCE, in't it?

Yeah. It's that careful balance of the absurd and the repulsive that has so far kept me from seriously disliking Gamzee in the way that others seem to. That said... I'm still not entirely sure what his deal is. He is clearly absolutely insane, pretty much to the point of existing in disorganised serial killer territory, but every now and then he has one of those creepy lucid moments, or is just completely placid.

Eh, well my issues with Gamzee are more concerning the 'let's not explain why or how he gets to places he shouldn't be able to get to and just have him do funny, creepy stuff' approach that Hussie takes with his character, particularly in Part 6.

I did like the bit with the potions though.
    Well, being a bard at god tier with the Jokerkind Abstractus somewhat explains the matter of being in weird places for no immediately discernible reason. One could argue that he simply gravitates toward the place where he will cause the most trouble and confusion—the most rage at the inexplicable, as it were.

lee4hmz said:

So Jake had a date with a ghost? Man, another Ghostbusters REFRANCE, in't it?

Jake ain't afraid of no ghost sylph.
  • ...Hmm. I think I'll wait a bit before responding to that. You haven't gotten far enough, that's all.
    So, UU/Calliope is a Cherub.

This means something, but I am not sure what.
    Oh my. "Cal" names, green skulls, power-mad Hero of Time...

A great deal is beginning to fall into place here. Certain images of a not-so-pretty sort.
  • Shhhhh, you're not supposed to suspect that yet.

really? i thought it was pretty obvious almost immediately...
    Yeah, it's pretty obvious if you really think on it that Lord English is Calliope's brother, if not necessarily from that timeline or that point in the timeline. Green body, red blood, insatiable desire for conquest, godlike time powers, cheats at games—there is really no way around that one.

In honour of Jake's unfortunate predicament, some appropriate musical accompaniment.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Oh, you've gotten to the most uncomfortably awkward and un-cool scenes in Homestuck.  Passive-aggressive corpse-kiss because suicide to force your crush to kiss you.

Ugh, I hated that scene.
  • Which happens to be in the middle one of the best sequences in the entire comic.

Yeah, that pretty much sums up Act 6. Really awesome bits in the middle of relative mediocrity.
    Just watched [S] Caliborn: Enter.

That was possibly the most disturbing thing that I have seen thus far in this comic. Really and truly.

A brief aside: Caliborn—Calliope's psychopathic alter/brother and future Lord English—happens to take his name from a Middle English form of Caledfwlch, otherwise known as Excalibur, the legendary sword of King Arthur. I am going to assume that this has some kind of subtle connection to the sword Caledfwlch that appeared earlier in Dave's possession.
    Yeah, that pretty much sums up Act 6. Really awesome bits in the middle of relative mediocrity.
    >:/