Talkin about Tumblrs, man

Comments

• kill living beings
    excellent

i mean i get clothes costing money, really i do. but a t-shirt. something about it costing a hundred times what i'd pay. it even has a design on the back! it seems like something I'D wear, except it's made of god's fur
  • yeah i looked up the shirt (http://www.farfetch.com/shopping/item10739621.aspx)

this isn't helping though. why does it cost $500? it's a t-shirt. is it radiation hardened? made of extinct animals? i don't see anything in the pictures. maybe it appeals to some other sense? like it smells really nice, or alters your proprioception to make you feel like you're flying

i mean it's a nice-looking t-shirt i guess but

it's made by valentino

that's the only reason

most high-visibility fashion labels exist mainly for the gratification of people with fucktons of money on their hands

it is possible to buy a really, really good t-shirt cutting no corners using the best materials and the most careful construction and the most studied of fits

and those run like 35-40 bucks a pop tops
  • edited 2014-09-28 00:53:30
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ That shirt looks really, really comfy.

I would not pay a tenth of that price for it, but it really does look amazingly comfy.

^ Yup.
  • kill living beings
    how do you even point that out? like... if you get an abercrombie and fitch shirt or whatever they've got it plastered in huge ass letters. for valentino do you just go like, "oh, my new shirt's from valentino", rip it off, hand it to them so they can examine it, and then jump in your pool of hundred dollar bills?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Because touching it causes the insanely wealthy to instantaneously reach climax.
  • you don't point it out to others you just think to yourself "i have so much fucking money that i can spend 500 dollars on a completely nondescript t-shirt"
  • edited 2014-09-28 00:56:45
    meow meow meowtherfuckers
    wtf rich people are weird buying an expensive shirt couldn't possibly express the true extent of your wealth

buy a figure of each girl from touhou and then we'll talk, losers
  • kill living beings
    this is a revelation. it's like rich kids of instagram all over again

brb sobbing into my forty two dollar a lecture education
  • edited 2014-09-28 00:58:30

http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice/comments/207ezs/side_by_side_rick_owens_450_tee_vs_hanes_5_tee_or

on the other side of the designer clothing spectrum, in this reddit post a man makes an argument for a particular expensive t-shirt that actually does make a kind of sense
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Psh, these amateurs have nothing on me buying movie studios and TV networks and shit
  • A lot of old money (ie. people who grew up rich and have never been anything but) don't really have a concept of how much things are supposed to cost, because they don't really have a concept of how much money is worth.

I recall once reading an anecdote (I think on Cracked of all places) wherein a hotel worker was tipped $5 in ones one time, and over $100 in twenties another time, because to these people money is so common that the only conception of its worth they have is "more bills = more money".

Basically this shit exists to take advantage of the rich and ignorant.
    naney said:

http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice/comments/207ezs/side_by_side_rick_owens_450_tee_vs_hanes_5_tee_or

on the other side of the designer clothing spectrum, in this reddit post a man makes an argument for a particular expensive t-shirt that actually does make a kind of sense

Of course, the guy does point out further down the line that most people would and should not pay anything close to list price for one of those shirts, even if it is a work of art.
  • kill living beings
    it's just so weird for me...

i guess most of what i buy is books. there's some social showoffyness there but i don't give a damn, being a college student. but even then, like.

I saw this in a B&N once. I thought it was ostentatious - the actual text is two thousand pages of tiny font describing bone structure in mind-numbing detail, you know, it's not like it needs to look good. I don't remember what it cost, like twenty dollars? forty? online now it's listed at about $20 but that might have dropped from the premier.

i got my copy used, five bucks. it looks like crap, cover's all ripped up and shit.. if i wanted to show off i can imagine spending $20 instead. maybe i could get a revised annotated copy, a set, who knows, that's like $100. but $1000 that's just i can't even understand
    Rare books are a vice that I would be willing to expend exorbitant amounts of money on were I in the position to do so.
  • edited 2014-09-28 01:31:24
    kill living beings
    well that's different. it's like buying a t-shirt... that macklemore wore once

i mean i still wouldn't much care for it, but i would at least have some doxastic understanding.

btw if you're ever in portland hit up powell's pearl room
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers
    the only thing i ever splurge on is food

like, my parents might give me some money specifically for getting clothes and i'll be like, "oh, i don't want to waste their money..."

but will i buy an overpriced smoothie if given the chance

you bet your ass i will.
    Food is another thing that I will splurge on. I am, I suppose, a hedonist at heart. Within reason.
  • Thing is though that with food and rare books there is some pleasure to be derived other than "I just SPENT a LARGE amount of MONEY!!!!"
  • kill living beings
    hello sirs and madams, your meal is ready - spätzle made from human eggs, topped with gold dust

now i'm hungry
  • i spend the spare money i have on clothes

though most of it has been saved up for the trip to see the beau that i'll be buying tickets for tomorrow
  • kill living beings

Thing is though that with food and rare books there is some pleasure to be derived other than "I just SPENT a LARGE amount of MONEY!!!!"

gotta be careful with the utilitarian stuff really. i have a looooot of books i've barely even opened. >_>
  • I would also buy a lot of food if I had spare money

not even like, fancy food, just an enormous amount of soft pretzels of various kinds.
  • edited 2014-09-28 01:43:52
    meow meow meowtherfuckers
    well, splurging on clothes is okay if they're unique items that you can't get for less anywhere else

i mean, they're a large part of what people will judge you by whenever they see you
  • edited 2014-09-28 01:45:06
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

Thing is though that with food and rare books there is some pleasure to be derived other than "I just SPENT a LARGE amount of MONEY!!!!"

Exactly.

This can also apply to a really nice bespoke suit or a painting or even a nice car, but I feel like after a certain point functionality drops away and you're just throwing money in the air.

^ This is also true, but I prefer personal satisfaction to how others see me, at least in terms of monetary value.
  • Joyeux said:

well, splurging on clothes is okay if they're unique items that you can't get for less anywhere else

i mean, they're a large part of what people will judge you by whenever they see you
    yeah but the clothes being discussed here don't look any different than what you could buy at K Mart.
  • Joyeux said:

i actually spend most of it at goodwill

like a big purchace for me would be a 30 dollar thing at a consignment shop or on ebay
  • kill living beings
    goodwill has decent books sometimes

good store
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    When I have the means to splurge, normally it's on books or bras, honestly. I'm actually fairly passionate about bra fitting >_> It kinda changed how I felt about my body once I found out how to properly fit myself for them. It's just so much more comfortable and I feel like I look much, much better in them. Like, if I could, I would pretty much only purchase luxury hand-made Polish bras. Normally I buy them used or on sale, though, so it's not so bad. I have an Ewa Michalak Bm Czarny Tulipan that is my FAVORITE. It's just such a classy and luxurious piece of clothing. The only bad part about having lots of cool bras is that it's socially unacceptable to show them off, generally speaking. 

Books are my first and true love, though. They were basically my "social life" in middle school/early high school, and going out onto our balcony to read in the sun with my cat is still my favored method of relaxation. I've also got a real soft spot for buying nice copies of books - hardbacks, first editions, signed, et cetera. Since I have a Nook, I'll usually, ah, questionably acquire books I care less about. If I'm actually buying a book, I'd like it to be a copy that makes me happier to have in my room. 

Buh, I really need more money. 
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers
    I can never find any cute bras that fit me. No lacy bras or cute prints/patterns for me, just solid colors. ;_;
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    It does seem like nice clothes (for both men and women) are biased toward "average-sized" people, which can be whatever the designer or the store thinks "average" is. >.< I'm a big guy, myself, and it's hard enough finding clothes that fit that I tend to dress like i'm still in high school most of the time.
  • I tend to splurge very rarely, with the sole exception of holiday Steam sales en masse. I don't buy clothes unless something in my wardrobe is getting worn out, usually my mandatory pair of sneakers. As for books, I do live a block away from two different book stores, one of which has an actual reading area. It's easier to find a comfy spot and read for a bit than to physically buy it.

This all balances well with the fact that I usually have less than a hundred dollars to my name, and most of it is gift money rather than earned money.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Joyeux said:

I can never find any cute bras that fit me. No lacy bras or cute prints/patterns for me, just solid colors. ;_;

Hey, if you ever want help finding cute bras/finding the best size for you... feel free to PM me. Goes for anyone here. That's basically my hobby, honestly. Finding people the bras they'll be happiest with. There are SO many options out there honestly, once you know where to look. 
    I'm starting to wonder why Tumblr sold to Yahoo!

Considering that now they have to deal with things like this among other Yahoo! doom and gloom that's predated their acquisition of Tumblr

Though to Yahoo!'s credit, Tumblr has stayed Tumblr under their watch, and they've actually made improvements to the design of the site...
  • getting venture capital money is about selling while the selling is good
    I know, but I do wonder if anyone else kicked the tires on Tumblr...they probably didn't offer the best price/most attractive integration strategy though
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Capitalism perplexes me at times
  • I think the most expensive clothing item I have cost about $130, and it's a pair of boots that I expect to live longer than me if I treat them right.

Capitalism perplexes me at times

How so?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I dunno, just this idea that some group of people can buy a bunch of stock in a company and then say "we demand you buy AOL"
  • stock is ownership

having a bunch of stock is owning the company
    Dan Loeb used his stake in the company to force out Yahoo!'s previous CEO

Also, Disney's last two CEOs were essentially ousted by Roy E. Disney, who owned a big block of stock
    Dan Loeb did embark on one unsuccessful campaign: last year, he tried to push Sony to spin Sony Pictures, Sony Music, and Sony/ATV Music Publishing off into their own company. Sony said no, and to appease him, they began cutting jobs at Sony Pictures.

Fuck Wall Street
    eriophora said:

Books are my first and true love, though. They were basically my "social life" in middle school/early high school, and going out onto our balcony to read in the sun with my cat is still my favored method of relaxation. I've also got a real soft spot for buying nice copies of books - hardbacks, first editions, signed, et cetera. Since I have a Nook, I'll usually, ah, questionably acquire books I care less about. If I'm actually buying a book, I'd like it to be a copy that makes me happier to have in my room. 

Buh, I really need more money. 
    I feel much the same way about pretty much all of that.
  • i wonder what happened to the original starbucks tumblr

did they forget the password or something?
    That is strange!
    naney said:

stock is ownership

having a bunch of stock is owning the company

I get that, but out still seems strange to me somehow that people even do that
  • I have made a My Little Pony fanfiction story, that is designed to cure depression and other mental illnesses. I am looking for people to test out this story. But the story is quite long, and you have to read it all uninterrupted in one sitting, which will take probably up to an hour. Send me an ask, which you can do at the top left button on my page, if you happen to be interested in testing it out.
    im in fucking hysterics help
    where did you see this
  • on tumblr someone sent it to someone as an ask and someone i was following reblogged it and i have been laughing for 5 minutes straight