Talkin about Tumblrs, man

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    John Green seems like a genuinely nice guy, if a massive sap (and that's not necessarily a bad thing), but his brother seems a little more interesting. They're probably fun at parties.

But there are seriously more interesting people in the world, let alone to be offended by.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Once again, Macklemore's stupidity is his own best defence.

He'd need to be smarter than he appears to be to have the motives that Tumblr accuses him of holding.
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
  • Best possible version.
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers
    re: people not liking iggy azalea

she called herself a slave master in a song, said mexican girls have boxy bodies (???), and

just kind of in general doesn't seem like a pleasant person
  • edited 2014-09-17 21:09:32
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ...well then.

Officially worse than LSP ever was.
  • sounds like she needs to

work work work work

work on her problematic opinions and attitudes
  • Frankly she comes off as stupid, unpleasant and shallow.  
    Yeah...
  • Even setting assholery aside, she's just not a very interesting artist.

Almost any (literally any?) song by or featuring her could be improved if she were replaced with Nicki Minaj, who she bites so hard Nicki probably has marks.
    She clearly wants to be the next Nicki Minaj and never will be. She's just not interesting enough. She makes Charli XCX boring by association, and while I guess that's not too great a feat... really now.

Also, I was not aware until recently that Nicki Minaj was half-Indian. Or from Trinidad. That's actually really cool.
  • I think A$AP Ferg is also from Trinidad.

Also I actually like Charlie XCX, or, in any case, I like the chorus of "Fancy", which is sung by her.
  • Many of the Caribbean islands that were at one point claimed by Britain now have fairly substantial minority populations from other British Empire lands.  Indians and Hong Kong Chinese in particular. 
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Azalea would be more interesting if she rapped with her natural Australian accent.

And y'know, rapped about stuff she actually had experience with.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    First things first she's the realest
  • edited 2014-09-17 21:47:36
    ^^^^ I honestly do not care for the chorus to "Fancy" at all, but I really do enjoy "I Love It (I Don't Care)".

^^^ I am well aware, actually. Trinidad in particular has a significant Indian population, although there are such curiosities as Chinese-Jamaicans out there.

^^ Yes.
  • I went to college with a Chinese Jamaican, which is why I knew :D
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers

Azalea would be more interesting if she rapped with her natural Australian accent.

And y'know, rapped about stuff she actually had experience with.
    I thought you were talking about Azealia Banks for a second, despite the conversation topic being Iggy Azalea.

i mean they're both drama starting female rappers so w/e
  • I think Iggy used to rap in her natural accent.

I vaguely recall her being on one of the BET cyphers with T.I. and the rest of GrandHustle.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    She should have kept doing it, then.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Iggy: Shut up. Just shut up.
  • azealia banks got some beats from machinedrum

that's all i know about her besides her mixtape with the mermaid on the front was boring as tits
  • Dad used to employ a Chinese-Jamaican. Good guy, he was. Also have a god - aunt who's White - Jamaican. There's definitely more variety in the Caribbean than people give it credit for.

As for Iggy, my thing is that she really doesn't have an excuse for any of this. T.I. seems compelled to defend her by saying she's not from here. And yet, it's not like kidnapping Aboriginal children isn't a thing that happened in fairly recent times. Her ignorance of American social issues indicates that she was ignorant of Aussie issues back home, which means she doesn't care about black people no matter where they're from.

Also, Fancy sounds much better as a 1920s flapper tune. Look it up on YouTube.

• I have come to the realization that I can't name a single other artist on GrandHustle besides TI and maybe Iggy if she's still on that label.

Is Young Dro on GrandHustle?

Is Young Dro still alive? Dude dropped off the face of the earth.
  • edited 2014-09-17 22:41:46

As for Iggy, my thing is that she really doesn't have an excuse for any of this. T.I. seems compelled to defend her by saying she's not from here. And yet, it's not like kidnapping Aboriginal children isn't a thing that happened in fairly recent times. Her ignorance of American social issues indicates that she was ignorant of Aussie issues back home, which means she doesn't care about black people no matter where they're from.

To be fair, one can care quite a bit about issues where you come from and completely misunderstand issues from other places and stick your foot in your mouth over them. I have no idea how aware she is of Australian racial issues and I really don't want to make those sorts of accusations about someone without evidence. But at the same time, if she has so immersed herself in black American culture, she really has no good excuse to be so clueless about race in the US; and to whit, some of her worst statements are offensive entirely outside of that paradigm anyway, so it's moot.

OH WOW

OH WOW
    I was very pleasantly surprised.
    Oh man I am fanboying SO HARD over how awesome the degree to which Severin is an unreliable narrator in The Book of the New Sun! ^_^
    Ohmygod, I just got back from Antigone and here's my new Sad!Creon meme
    I ship the Father in Bruno Schulz's The Street of Crocodiles with The Officer in Kafka's The Penal Colony!!!!!
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I'm pretty sure that's just a thing that happens to charismatic actors in general. If Nicolas Cage is any indication, it would be happening if he were white, too.
  • edited 2014-09-19 19:54:26
    The real problem with the post is that it completely ignores the fact that Jackson's other big, complex role was the Bible-quoting hitman in Pulp Fiction, which is the ultimate origin of the whole meme.
  • edited 2014-09-19 19:55:49
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I find amusement in the fact that Jules Winnifred and Nick Fury were both Disney characters for about a year (they bought Marvel in 2009, triggering their divestment of Miramax to an investment consortium the following year)
    Nick_Fury_Tombstone.jpg

And really, the reason why they got Jackson to play Fury in the first place is because of earlier roles like that. The man can play subtle and broad at the same time and generally projects an aura of cool. Which is to say, why complain about fans making jokes on the man's legacy and not instead celebrate that legacy?
  • edited 2014-09-19 20:10:38
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I'm not connected to any "fandom" in any way, and actively seek to avoid such things. 

But I feel like that person - an active participant in fandom - sees a greater trend in fanworks where other, whiter characters are given meatier, move involved roles while Fury is given comedic roles. Maybe the story bends itself backwards to contrive a situation to say things that Jackson is famous for?

That's what it seems like to me; an observation that there's a widespread idea on what role a specific kind of person can play, possibly based on their skin color.

Sredni: Actually no, they got Jackson to play Fury because Fury forced them. Back in the day when they were doing Ultimate comics (wherein they made a new comics universe with new, "updated" characters for newer readers), they decided to draw Fury to resemble Jackson. Jackson agreed to let them use his likeness, but only before making them sign a deal that gave him all future roles in any movie adaptions.
    I think the person's talking about meme-based jokes and GIFs and things rather than fanfic.
  • edited 2014-09-19 20:14:14
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I believe otherwise, but sure; GIFs are a far more understandable format and place for that sort of thing, just because of how GIFs work. Quick, snappy bits instead of the complicated and the inferred.
    Pffffft.
  • kill living beings
    is this jerkcity
  • kill living beings
    this is jerkcity
  • it is jerkcityhd
  • edited 2014-09-19 20:31:21
    kill living beings
    Those are good movies
    I was about to say that the choices are cliché but not actually bad.
  • kill living beings
    well yeah, the point is the edge is all. i mean "underground"
    I am well aware. I do get jokes, you know.
  • kill living beings
    i don't :(