The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    naney said:

like it's your goddamn job

?
  • edited 2014-09-23 00:47:41

NAYSAYERS

NAYSAYERS ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
  • like I refuse to believe that there are people who think they are creating serious intellectual discussion but also use the suffix "-bro" to describe groups of people completely straightfacedly.

I cannot live in that world.

mixing highbrow and lowbrow terminology is hip now
  • Wilhelm said:

like I refuse to believe that there are people who think they are creating serious intellectual discussion but also use the suffix "-bro" to describe groups of people completely straightfacedly.

I cannot live in that world.

mixing highbrow and lowbrow terminology is hip now
    I refuse to be a part of this new world order and will now commit sudoku
  • im gonna run CERTAIN TUMBLR PEOPLE over with one of those fisher price cars
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    a Fisher-Price car?

pictured: the method by which i will dispose of those who IRRITATE ME GREATLY
    that's a Little Tikes car, silly
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Go back to mommy and your Fisher-Price toys.

the guy who runs the tumblr I snatched that from is a bit of a nerd, basically it says "Lit-bro defuses the Alt-bro's smug attitude by calling him racist and sexist because that's how educated people talk nowadays"

also
    like, the people that go into Ivy colleges and maybe into PhDs media job, and write lightly new historicist analyses of HBO shows for a magazine, and grew on Nabokov and Pynchon and Delillo and talk about Knausgaard and Tao Lin and analyze the politics of the Billboard 200 and one day a serious press will buy their debut novel
    the fact that this is so evocative to me despite me not knowing a single person like this is kind of scary to me

I don't personally know them, but I recognise it right off the bat in the same way that I recognise the people who do fit the Alt-Bro stereotype right off the bat. Both are really just terribly insecure people who want to look cool and fit in without compromising their sense of individuality and "specialness," which is actually kind of sad, but the Lit-Bro types just seem way more bitter about it. And the funny thing is, I hang out with people who hit a lot of the points of both types and they're perfectly nice and smart and fun to hang out with and, while certainly not perfect, don't feel like they have to front.

Go back to mommy and your Fisher-Price toys.

typical Playskool fanboyism
  • naney said:

anyhoo

http://lovemeow.com/2014/09/lupo-giant-maine-coon-cat/

LOOKIT THE BIG KITTY

LOOKIT

ITSOFLOOFY

That's an amazingly big cat. Maine Coons are awesome.
    Maine Coons are bobcat-sized and sweet as pie. They also tweet and twitter. It's adorable. I want one.
  • Super Alt-Bros vs. Great Lit-Bros
  • I have viewed the most recent Gravity Falls episode.

That was peculiar.
    Awooooo, Lit-Bros of London...
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I like Pynchon, I guess I'm a terrible person
    Also I wanted one of those cars when I was little but I never had one
  • Also I wanted one of those cars when I was little but I never had one

they are about 60 bucks, you could purchase one if you so desired
    I don't want one anymore.

I wouldn't fit in it, for one thing.
  • kill living beings
    typical terrible
  • does anyone else think that homura's buckler and the Splendid Screen look vaguely similar?
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    They both look like very generic shields.
  • ULTRA-RAD HACKER REFUGEE FROM THE FUTURE
    beep boop bop
  • ULTRA-RAD HACKER REFUGEE FROM THE FUTURE
  • edited 2014-09-23 07:52:21
    edit: never mind, content deemed to be in poor taste
    A), That would be in highly poor taste.

B), That would be talking over people who have had these experiences, and you don't have the right to say what is and isn't a relevant factor.

C), It's not even accurate.

D), Shame on you.
  • glenn you seriously need to learn like

basic tact.
    A black body is a concept in physics, guys.

I'm not sure how much it makes sense as social commentary, though. Or if it actually makes sense at all.
  • There's an event here on campus about race attitudes, police responses,
    and related topics
    , and it's called "Policing the Black Body".
  • edited 2014-09-23 05:48:52
    Yeah, sorry i forgot to put a note mentioning that it was a physics thing.

Let me know if the joke is still tasteless even with that information.  If you still feel it is, then my apologies, I'll take it down.

^^ It doesn't really make any sense as social commentary, but I was trying to shoehorn in something just for the sake of querying whether I could make an effective pun out of it.

I was just being...perhaps a little open with my thoughts I guess?  I just wanted to say what I was thinking, with less of a filter.
  • Then it goes from tasteless into "still sorta tasteless but now mostly nonsensical and very easily misconstrued".
  • Okay.  Sorry about that.

FYI a "black body" is something that absorbs all the electromagnetic radiation (e.g. light) that hits it, and is "black" in the sense of the color it'd appear if you looked at it.

I was trying to analogize "light" to "attention".  It was really stupidly shoehorny, sorry.
  • edited 2014-09-23 06:37:00
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    See, I got part of that, in that the color black is said to absorb all light. I didn't need to know about the physics thing.

But it's still a really horrible thing to say.

Like Glenn, I don't know what you are. Every possible color of your skin, every ethnicity you could be would lend a different context. But each context would still be a horrible result.
  • I understand your motivation, but sometimes funny things must cede to good taste. Except that it wasn't even that funny to begin with.
  • You should totally go to the thing, if you have time. The history of Afro-Americans and the popo is a bramblebush of factors leading to dehumanization, in that it's tangled and complicated and painful to interact with.

it'll be fuuuun. Trust meeeeeee.
  • edited 2014-09-23 07:58:42

See, I got part of that, in that the color black is said to absorb all light. I didn't need to know about the physics thing.

But it's still a really horrible thing to say.

Like Glenn, I don't know what you are. Every possible color of your skin, every ethnicity you could be would lend a different context. But each context would still be a horrible result.
    I just overestimated the acceptability of posting potentially-offensive stuff, even here.

I'm sorry I posted it; I definitely didn't mean to offend anyone.

All I meant to do was to simply post an unrefined piece of nonsense straight from the mental sandbox.  A mental sandbox wherein connections are made between all sorts of things, including those things that ought not to be connected anyway.  This -- connecting "black body" in the event title to "black body" as a term in thermo/physics -- is such a pair of the latter type.

(I reposted the essence of it for reference since I blanked my earlier post.)

I figured it would be offensive if I actually DID crack a pun with the intention of humor.  But I thought I would be okay if I didn't have a good pun, and simply discussed trying and failing to come up with a good pun, and also added the point that a pun could be non-humorous but "uncomfortably apt".  I guess it wasn't enough.
    Like just the place that you made your conclusion is horrible. The idea that as black bodies they're diverting attention from more important things? Disgusting. What's more important than their lives? 

I need you to understand the severity of this. It's a pun, it's a joke; sure. But the logic that the joke reached to, that's...that's just really really awful.
  • edited 2014-09-23 08:35:18
    I actually pointed out (in the post I blanked...ironically) that that implication is rather disturbing.  I pointed out exactly what you're saying.  And pointed out that's how it shouldn't be, but how it's happening right now.
    Alright, then. I guess you understand.

It just seemed like you were taking it lightly.
  • edited 2014-09-23 08:38:02
    ...also, pre-empting potential criticism:

my use of "rather" does not mean to downplay severity; I just tend to use understatement a lot.

edit: ninja'd
  • edited 2014-09-23 08:49:23

Alright, then. I guess you understand.

It just seemed like you were taking it lightly.
    Very sorry that I came off as such.

In other news, I'm watching the UN Climate Summit that's going on right now in NYC.

https://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1722935254001/?bctid=2730069555001&autoStart=false&secureConnections=true&width=800&height=450

programme: http://www.un.org/climatechange/summit/programme/

livetweeted using this hashtag: https://twitter.com/hashtag/climate2014?f=realtime

I just got feels from Kathy Jetnil-Kijiner's poem.  It's a poem she wrote addressing her baby, and the world that child will look forward to.

Also, the UN has good intermission music.
  • I am regretting that I didn't take Spanish in high school right now.
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    Si hubieses hecho eso ahora entenderías lo que acabo de escribir
  • kill living beings
    ultraviolet catastrophe
    phone booth
  • It is really hard to type with a cat sitting on one of your arms.