The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    naney said:

(*dixie plays faintly in the distance*)

predictably, my mind went to the mouse in the red vest
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

For all the hoopla over the Galaxy S5, it's inner dictionary is terrible.

doesn't recognize possessive contractions at all

on my S3 I switched to Swype as soon as I could
  • Lilly said:

For all the hoopla over the Galaxy S5, it's inner dictionary is terrible.

doesn't recognize possessive contractions at all

on my S3 I switched to Swype as soon as I could
    what's swype?

is it a better keyboard?
  • Swype is a keyboard that lets you write by swiping your finger through the letters of the word without lifting it.  It does some more stuff too.  Its advocates love it.  Not everyone does.
  • oh, my default keyboard already does that
  • though typically i just tap every key individually
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Yeah, there are a couple keyboards that offer the swiping functionality these days

I know Google Keyboard does, but its swipe-type algorithm seems a bit more finicky than Swype's
  • I got pissed off at Android at version 2.2 and use iphones now.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Heh, the first smartphone I owned had Android 2.2

I later updated it to 2.3, which was a welcome improvement in almost every way

It wasn't until 4.2 that I really fell in love with Android, though
  • edited 2014-09-22 21:14:24
    lg's default keyboard has that functionality too
    I use CyanogenMod on my Galaxy S III so I don't actually have any of Samsung's default stuff left, lol
  • potential new internet usernames, based on the posts on this page of this thread:

FuzzyCat4512

FlickeringJewels6981

PossessiveContractions212
    PossCon68

HasNoCenterLine

FinickySwipes

50Tired

LoveForAnAndroid

DixiePlayer
  • my singing of rapid melodies is horribly out-of-tune

this distresses me

yes i know i've never had any formal voice training and i'm simply running off my sense of absolute pitch

but it still ashames me
  • turns out the source is actually a slightly slower than complete fuckup tempo

here's my attempt at source tempo: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1DHtJEbC3pi

let's try doing more of it.  http://vocaroo.com/i/s1nVu6W73JZj

the hard parts about the intro figuration:
    1. crosses borderline between my normal voice and falsetto
    2. rather long thing for a single breath

also, in case you were wondering, i do this every time i find a new favorite song or show or something
    the only reason i'm posting this is because at least a few of you might recognize it
  • damnit why is this song growing on me
    One thing I've always wondered about: those people who swear by Windows XP even to this day...are they just okay with never ever having more than 4 GB of RAM?

I mean, there is an amd64 version of Windows XP, yes, but I can't imagine it's all that compatible with modern hardware...it seems like it was only the Windows 7 era when 64-bit Windows became mature enough for daily use...
  • edited 2014-09-22 21:55:22
    ^^ i dare anyone to make a bad pun about precisely that

under the condition that it has to be a pun on the song's name
  • One thing I've always wondered about: those people who swear by Windows XP even to this day...are they just okay with never ever having more than 4 GB of RAM?

I mean, there is an amd64 version of Windows XP, yes, but I can't imagine it's all that compatible with modern hardware...it seems like it was only the Windows 7 era when 64-bit Windows became mature enough for daily use...
    no one who is still willingly using Windows XP because they like it knows enough about computers to have any conception of what "4GB of RAM" is.
  • edited 2014-09-22 22:03:58
    the last chord (the Gb (or F#) major chord) feels meaningless

of course, the entire song being largely built on a IV V iii vi (or VI VII v i) progression kinda makes it ambiguous whether it's in the relative minor or relative major

i still think it's more in Eb minor than Gb major though, despite the last chord

heck, it even has a Bb7 chord at one point

also, VI VII v i interpretation of the chords indicates a harmonic direction toward an Eb minor chord

furthermore, the intro, which is transposed one half step lower (yes the song nearly STARTS with a gear-change modulation) than the rest of the song, further tonicizes the relative minor in that role, by ending in a picardy third on D (i.e. D major chord, in D minor)
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    trading sequence
  • what's the term for a statement (not a question) for which one doesn't expect a response?

like, a rhetorical question, but not actually a question
  • in school newspaper:

"According to Josh Cantor, the director of Parking and Transportation, the on-campus residence population has more than doubled since 20005." [sic]
    20005 B.C. presumably, which would make the statement true, yes?
    Or 20005 Unix time, which would be 5:33:25 am on 1 January 1970
  • edited 2014-09-22 22:29:52
    fight. dream. horse. love.
    This nasty ‘Portrait of the Alt-Bro as a Young Dumabss’ article is the first hot shot fired in a decade of cold war between the Lit-Bros and the Alt-Bros: Lit-Bros — like, the people that go into Ivy colleges and maybe into PhDs media job, and write lightly new historicist analyses of HBO shows for a magazine, and grew on Nabokov and Pynchon and Delillo and talk about Knausgaard and Tao Lin and analyze the politics of the Billboard 200 and one day a serious press will buy their debut novel — hate it that Alt-Bros act like they’re more highbrow than them despite only going through a liberal arts college education and maybe a rando MA.

Now, the Alt-Bros think that they’re more highbrow than the Lit-Bros cause they’re way more into stuff like Stein and Lautreamont and Brakhage and Jarry and Joyce and Satie and The Boredoms and Anthony Braxton and Kant and Derrida and Marquis de Sade and Rosalind Krauss than than Lit-Bros are. And Alt-Bros think they (Alt-Bros) apperceive culture and art and politics at a simultaneously more abstract and more embodied level than that of the Lit-Bros. (They’re sorta right.)

But Lit-Bros are superior polemicist to Alt-Bros, and excel at playing someone else’s game, so here’s their trick for turning all of this around against the Alt-Bros: Lit-Bros know that modern (late 00’s and on) Ivy educated activist discourse is today’s final cultural authority, and that this discourse sees critical philosophy and critical aesthetic theory as atavistic relative to modern iterations of gender-race-disability critical theory that mostly detach from its Phenomenological and Hermeneutic and post-Structuralist roots and conceives of themselves as a concrete and definite analytic apparatus, and so the Alt-Bro’s desire to break out of circumscribed analytic apparatuses — to try transcend some given discourse or to dialectically evolve a dyad or whatever — that used to be the defining virtue of a critical-theory radical is now used to paint the Alt-Bro as a daydreaming Platonist whose dumb ass is crypto-conservative.
  • was that deliberately written in the most brain-melting manner possible, or am i just hella dumb?

cuz it took me two tries to read that last paragraph
  • > Tao Lin

when i saw this i was wondering why you were talking about the pianist

then i googled the name and found an author
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    the guy who runs the tumblr I snatched that from is a bit of a nerd, basically it says "Lit-bro defuses the Alt-bro's smug attitude by calling him racist and sexist because that's how educated people talk nowadays"

also
    like, the people that go into Ivy colleges and maybe into PhDs media job, and write lightly new historicist analyses of HBO shows for a magazine, and grew on Nabokov and Pynchon and Delillo and talk about Knausgaard and Tao Lin and analyze the politics of the Billboard 200 and one day a serious press will buy their debut novel
    the fact that this is so evocative to me despite me not knowing a single person like this is kind of scary to me
  • kill living beings
    naney said:

was that deliberately written in the most brain-melting manner possible, or am i just hella dumb

i'm disinclined to read past the first clause myself

i'm a dumb-bro

also i mostly know tao lin as the author /lit/ constantly mocks
  • i have never read anything by tao lin

holy shit i need to read more ._.
  • edited 2014-09-22 22:38:30

the guy who runs the tumblr I snatched that from is a bit of a nerd, basically it says "Lit-bro defuses the Alt-bro's smug attitude by calling him racist and sexist because that's how educated people talk nowadays"

also
    like, the people that go into Ivy colleges and maybe into PhDs media job, and write lightly new historicist analyses of HBO shows for a magazine, and grew on Nabokov and Pynchon and Delillo and talk about Knausgaard and Tao Lin and analyze the politics of the Billboard 200 and one day a serious press will buy their debut novel
    the fact that this is so evocative to me despite me not knowing a single person like this is kind of scary to me
    i got it, it just took a bit of chewing

also same on that second bit
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    this also means, in a way, that the Disney classes I sometimes think about are now reality :P
  • is it just an artefact of youtube video playback, or do the p-shooter shots in mega man 9 and mega man 10 look more beam-like than they did on the NES Mega Man 1-6?
  • Heh, the first smartphone I owned had Android 2.2

I later updated it to 2.3, which was a welcome improvement in almost every way

It wasn't until 4.2 that I really fell in love with Android, though
    Meanwhile, I caught the wagon early and got a 2.1 Galaxy S1, which didn't actually pique my interest very much beyond "not being an iPhone" until 2.3

and then 4.0 came out and I was like "ahhhh i need it" but I didn't have an upgrade ready so I toughed it out and went through a jailbreaking phase on my iPod instead

when I finally did get an upgrade, though, it had 4.2 on it IIRC and that was da bee's knees

and even though the phone I got after that was nabbed, I'm still rocking 4.4 on my Kindle
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    recurrence relations recurrence relations recurrence relations recurrence relations 
    moo.
  • This nasty ‘Portrait of the Alt-Bro as a Young Dumabss’ article is the first hot shot fired in a decade of cold war between the Lit-Bros and the Alt-Bros: Lit-Bros — like, the people that go into Ivy colleges and maybe into PhDs media job, and write lightly new historicist analyses of HBO shows for a magazine, and grew on Nabokov and Pynchon and Delillo and talk about Knausgaard and Tao Lin and analyze the politics of the Billboard 200 and one day a serious press will buy their debut novel — hate it that Alt-Bros act like they’re more highbrow than them despite only going through a liberal arts college education and maybe a rando MA.

Now, the Alt-Bros think that they’re more highbrow than the Lit-Bros cause they’re way more into stuff like Stein and Lautreamont and Brakhage and Jarry and Joyce and Satie and The Boredoms and Anthony Braxton and Kant and Derrida and Marquis de Sade and Rosalind Krauss than than Lit-Bros are. And Alt-Bros think they (Alt-Bros) apperceive culture and art and politics at a simultaneously more abstract and more embodied level than that of the Lit-Bros. (They’re sorta right.)

But Lit-Bros are superior polemicist to Alt-Bros, and excel at playing someone else’s game, so here’s their trick for turning all of this around against the Alt-Bros: Lit-Bros know that modern (late 00’s and on) Ivy educated activist discourse is today’s final cultural authority, and that this discourse sees critical philosophy and critical aesthetic theory as atavistic relative to modern iterations of gender-race-disability critical theory that mostly detach from its Phenomenological and Hermeneutic and post-Structuralist roots and conceives of themselves as a concrete and definite analytic apparatus, and so the Alt-Bro’s desire to break out of circumscribed analytic apparatuses — to try transcend some given discourse or to dialectically evolve a dyad or whatever — that used to be the defining virtue of a critical-theory radical is now used to paint the Alt-Bro as a daydreaming Platonist whose dumb ass is crypto-conservative.
    I have read this three times and come to the conclusion that there is no world in which it can mean anything.
    I think I get it, although the overall impression I get is that of useless intellectual masturbation
  • like I refuse to believe that there are people who think they are creating serious intellectual discussion but also use the suffix "-bro" to describe groups of people completely straightfacedly.

I cannot live in that world.
    then you are a denial-bro
  • In other news, I made myself popcorn chicken at home and it actually tastes alright for once.

Took like an hour to cook though, I wonder if our toaster oven isn't having some issues.

this is, like, "low-budget 80s sci-fi: the music video"

I am amused
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

the dub voice work is actually pretty good (except maybe for the creepy little sister...then again, maybe she's supposed to be kinda off)

just that that, and the OP, are about the best things in the story
    (the OP is pretty nice)

the story itself is kinda okay/meh, at least as it is presented
    setting premise/mechanics are also meh

there's also a (virtual) rape scene in it, which didn't do much other than merely act as an additional dose of drama for the heck of it
    (my apologies for pointing this out, but it seems like something that couldn't avoid mention)

in any case, i don't recommend it.

Yeah, reading about that latter bit made me go "eeeugh." If you can handle a scene like that well and with the proper gravity, then I think a story should not be afraid to go there, but that's just unnecessary and gross. Making a brutal and disturbing sexual assault trite or petty in context (by which I mean in a meta sense, not on the part of the assailant) is really reprehensible.
  • like it's your goddamn job