Anime

Comments

• edited 2014-07-30 20:07:53
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    So, so much irony surrounding the Tachikomas. I still want one.

I had forgotten how Major Kusanagi's final conversation with the Laughing Man managed to tie the Tachikoma subplot into the main plot of the season. That was really cool.

As much as the Laughing Man ultimately had a good cause and was right about the state of the world, he was kind of a sanctimonious ass about it. And all those flowery speeches he gives—I can buy that he spends more time with books than with people. Funny that, for all his sanctimony and all his "I'm not a team player", he ultimately can't make a positive impact on his own. It's the pigs at Public Security Section 9 who ultimately bring down the phonies.

Come to think of it, there was some pretty nice foreshadowing in the Major's advice to that nobody hacker at the very beginning of the first episode. The advice to either clean up his own act before whining about the state of the world, or to just keep his head low and ignore the state of the world.
  • kill living beings
    caulfield is kind of useless too, so it works
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Almost up to date with Hunter X Hunter.

This is rapidly becoming my favorite Shonen series ever, and it makes me sad that the Anime is probably gonna end after this arc.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    'cuz the mangaka's constantly sick?
    Lilly said:

Yeah, plus he was born without the part of your body that makes you give a fuck about schedules.
    Odradek said:

Lilly said:

Yeah, plus he was born without the part of your body that makes you give a fuck about schedules.
    isn't that part of the body called "not being married to the creator of Sailor fucking Moon"
  • edited 2014-07-31 21:09:49
    Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    like, i'm pretty sure she's at fuck-you-money levels, and if not she really should be
    Lilly said:

Odradek said:

Lilly said:

isn't that part of the body called "not being married to the creator of Sailor fucking Moon"
    Part of it is. The other part is "not being the guy who did Yu Yu Hakusho"
    so yeah, fuck-you-money levels
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Odradek said:

The best endorsement of Hunter X Hunter I can give is that there's an arc where the heroes are acting out of fear, revenge, and ruthless pragmatism and the main villains are acting out of pure, overwhelming, childlike love for each other and for their society, and you can still see why the heroes are the heroes and the villains are the villains.

The selling point is indeed accurate. Odradek isn't even covering the half of it, though, is the funny part.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Texhnolyze.

I have only seen two episodes and I am in love.
  • edited 2014-08-04 20:44:43
    fight. dream. horse. love.
    I can already tell that Aldnoah.Zero is going to take way too long to resolve this false-flag assassination plot, which is a shame because they had some great propulsion coming off the 3rd episode.

sigh, anime storytelling~
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I am now current with Hunter X Hunter. It's a pretty great show.
  • polnareff monologing about how great having a family would be to the woman whose son he killed is pretty much the funniest thing ever
  • god he's such a fucking dingus
  • tonight, you can think of me as your son

fucksdfiofhasljnz<nmzxm,xs im dying over here
    That is a hilarious scene.
  • you know what JoJo reminds me of the most

those times on the playground where you'd go about with your friends doing roleplay things where you'd fight w/ stupidly OP superpowers and whoever would win would be the person who would the one who could outhax the other
  • granted i only ever did that in summer camp w/ pokemon battles but you get the idea
    naney said:

you know what JoJo reminds me of the most

those times on the playground where you'd go about with your friends doing roleplay things where you'd fight w/ stupidly OP superpowers and whoever would win would be the person who would the one who could outhax the other

I used to sorta kinda do that a lot when I was, I dunno, eight.
    naney said:

you know what JoJo reminds me of the most

This is a super-great description.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I still like Battle Tendency more.
    I swear I am barely a fifth of the way into Texhnolyze and it is one of the darkest things that I have ever seen yet also... somehow perfect? As in there is really nothing wrong with it and it is doing exactly what it intends to do without a hitch or a hiccough. And I get the feeling that it's just going to keep getting darker while still being this well-executed.

Also, first time since the final arc of Fullmetal Alchemist that I have seen a female character make a sleazy advance on a helpless male person that was played for horror and repulsion yet devoid of misogynistic animus. Kudos, show. You made me wince. In a responsible way.
  • I swear I am barely a fifth of the way into Texhnolyze and it is one of the darkest things that I have ever seen yet also... somehow perfect? As in there is really nothing wrong with it and it is doing exactly what it intends to do without a hitch or a hiccough. And I get the feeling that it's just going to keep getting darker while still being this well-executed.

Also, first time since the final arc of Fullmetal Alchemist that I have seen a female character make a sleazy advance on a helpless male person that was played for horror and repulsion yet devoid of misogynistic animus. Kudos, show. You made me wince. In a responsible way.
    Been meaning to dig into that for a while. Now I want to even more.
    An acquaintance of mine has said that Texhnolyze is a lot like Shigurui in that it is unquestionably a work of art but also so unrelentingly bleak in its tone and outlook that it is very difficult to actually recommend to people. Of course, Shigurui is also notorious for its unusually realistic displays of extremely brutal violence, but Texhnolyze is no slouch in the gore department in its own right - this is a show where artificial limbs are a key plot point - so that's an added hurdle.
  • kill living beings
    i still haven't watched more than an episode, i think. it's weird, it's not like lain was any faster, but i still get a bit impatient
    Huh, I found the pace decidedly quicker than lain's was. But regardless, push forward. It's a very strange and interesting show.
  • i wasn't expecting to have a visceral FUCK YEAH reaction to hearing Roundabout

or to kinda empathize a wee bit with Dio? parents who drink really fuck you up :/
  • edited 2014-08-16 08:06:34
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    The hypest part of the first (maybe second? can't remember) part of Jojo cartoon is always the end of the episode, when that guitar kicks in.
  • joseph joestar is the greatest at all times god bless
  • "lungs are vital for hamon users", unlike us normal folk who don't need them for anything no siree
    ...I think that I recognise those voice actors, but I have no idea where from.
  • kill living beings
    did those even air on tv

...I think that I recognise those voice actors, but I have no idea where from.

japanese dubs have the same voice actors as every anime iirc
  • kill living beings
    wat
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    i'm guessing the middle character means "no"
  • kill living beings
    yes, and yet, wat
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    Princess Jellyfish has basically the perfect opening theme.

Just thought I'd tell y'all.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I feel like Stardust Crusaders is just basically the villains going "Mua-ha-ha! You've fallen into my dastardly trap!" and then the heroes going "No, YOU have."

I feel like Stardust Crusaders is just basically the villains going "Mua-ha-ha! You've fallen into my dastardly trap!" and then the heroes going "No, YOU have."

In fact it is I who am behind YOU

Odradek said:

In fact it is I who am behind YOU

(I used the TVT image because it's quicker than actually going to look for it)
    I started watching Kyosogiga. It's quite interesting, and it's got a very nice style.

So like there's a monk named Myou who has the power to make anything he draws appear? People don't like him. Then one of the black rabbits he draws - Koto - falls in love with him and makes a bargain with a bodhisattva; the rabbit gets the bodhisattva's body to spend time with Myou for his own good, and when Myou loves her back Koto has to give the body back.

They do, and they start a family, with Myou drawing the deva-boy Kurama and a demon-girl Yase as siblings for his new son Yakushimaru, and eventually move to the static world of Looking-Glass Kyoto of Myou's creation. But Koto must leave, because she's spent far too much time already, and must return her body. Myou and Koto leave, the father passing his prayer-beads and title to his son, making Yakushimaru the second Myou. The parents promise to return.

Years later, the three siblings are adults, still in the static world. Kurama and Yase spend their time on their estates, passing the time, watchful for their parents' return. But Yakushimaru just slacks off, passing the time by fucking his girlfriend or riding around in his scooter.

But that all changes when a burst of light not unlike the one associated with Myou's creative powers blazes in the sky, out from it falling a young girl with a giant hammer who calls herself Koto, accompanied by familiars bearing the name of the sacred "Aum" mantra, claiming to be from a faraway parallel earth and looking for a black rabbit.
    I still need to give Kyousougiga a proper watch. The design and animation team were part of Kenji Nakamura's crack art squad on Mononoke and others and it shows, but it is fascinating in its own right. Apparently it goes into some very bittersweet, sad places as it goes on; I really like those sorts of stories, strange but poignant.
    Skip episode zero. Everything you see there will be shown elsewhere.
    Alas, I did not. I was a bit confuzzled, but I get that it's basically just a condensation of the first half of the show that theoretically spoils things but only falls into place once you've watched the rest of what it covers.

On a different note: Goddamnitall, someone needs to re-license Noein for streaming so I can finally see the rest of that show. I'm craving a resolution to my curiosity and just something kind of sinister and pants-on-head bizarre in general. I don't care if it doesn't gel with me completely. I need to know.