Anime

Comments

• And even then, what's more interesting tends to be the planning and strategy that goes into the battle, rather than the battle itself.  Contrast, say, Subaru's personal battle in Nanoha StrikerS with Teana's.  Subaru's battle is all about action -- constant direct clashes with her opponent, interspersed with some dialogue.  Teana's battle happens in spurts and involves lots of running around, diversions and illusions, and tactical planning.  I found Teana's battle far more satisfying than Subaru's.
  • edited 2014-07-03 11:31:34
    ARGH PAGETOPPER

well i guess it wasn't that bad

anyway, Sredni Vashtar, I wrote some responses to your reply to me
  • edited 2014-07-03 11:33:23
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    All I remember about Nanoha was all the people on TVT going on about how the two female leads were either totally awesome, or how the fact that they were ambiguously gay (at least at first) made their junk happy. :P I admit it kind of made me not want to watch it.
  • edited 2014-07-03 11:34:34
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    @Glenn: Or the scenes in the witch labyrinths of Madoka Magica, which really are just a feast for the eyes. Apparently Hunter x Hunter has some great strategic moments, or so the beau informs me, but I can't vouch for that personally.

Hmm. You might really like RahXephon, actually. Also curious as to what your reactions to Mushi-Shi and Natsume's Book of Friends might be.
  • edited 2014-07-03 11:39:04
    RahXephon has been on the edge of my to-watch list for a while.  I think I've seen the first episode or half-episode.  Seemed reminiscent of Neon Genesis Evangelion, which I also enjoyed.

I'm just often not necessarily in the mood for something.  Like, I have had Spice and Wolf on my to-watch list for a while but I just haven't really felt like watching it for some reason.

Re Nanoha: yeah, it was a big thing on TVT, and apparently much bigger there than outside it -- as I learned when I tried to talk to other anime fans about it.

The one thing that bugs me most about part of the Nanoha fandom is that subset of individuals who complained that Nanoha and Fate grew up and were no longer lolis.  Those people may kindly dismiss themselves away from the rest of us Nanoha fans, thank you very much.
  • edited 2014-07-03 11:44:43
    Yeah, that's hella skeevy.

From what I can tell, RahXephon has less in common with Evangelion than Eureka Seven in tone and themes, although I have seen neither of the latter so I cannot confirm this. Chiaki Konaka was one of the chief writers on the show, but I think it was mainly a director-led effort, and the director in question hasn't done a lot else. There's still a quiet, introspective vibe to the show with some seriously dark moments, but it's less unsettling and alien than Konaka's collaborations with Ryutaro Nakamura - closer to his work on the earlier episodes of Digimon Tamers, actually.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I've seen suggestive art of Nanoha and Fate as the little girls they were in the first series. It made me want to scrub my brain out with Double Clorox. ._. 

And yes, they did grow up, and they're very pretty as adults. I kind of wish they were more lovey-dovey, but then, there's always things like Wife and Wife if I want to see that.
  • edited 2014-07-03 11:48:39
    suggestive art of anime girls is like

a dime a dozen

and i wouldn't even give a dime
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    True, but I also knew there were a bunch of lolicons on TVT that liked them, and ugh.
  • re adult Nanoha and Fate

but they're military officials

do you really expect them to be romantic exhibitionists?
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Apparently Hunter x Hunter has some great strategic moments, or so the beau informs me, but I can't vouch for that personally.

Speaking of, I like the way Hunter X Hunter toys with the shonen cliche of "massively overpowered villain" to make it so that attacking the enemy stronghold feels like storming the beach at Normandy, at least at the point I'm on.

Drawing up complicated battleplans to minimize the enemy's strengths, realizing that no plan is going to survive contact with the enemy intact, realizing that death is a strong possibility, but judging that accomplishing the goal is worth the risk of getting torn to shreds by an overpowered behemoth.
  • edited 2014-07-03 11:54:45
    I swear that the dark side of the anime fandom manages to out-gross even video games.

^ I really want to watch this, because that is something I haven't seen outside of, like, Berserk.
  • edited 2014-07-03 11:55:13
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS

re adult Nanoha and Fate

but they're military officials

do you really expect them to be romantic exhibitionists?

Hmm, good point. (My grandparents on my mom's side were Army, and "cute" is not the right word to describe their relationship, not by a long shot. Alcohol was involved. :P) 

Then again, Nanoha and Fate adopted a daughter together, and I figure that's cute enough.
    Yeah...
  • I swear that the dark side of the anime fandom manages to out-gross even video games.

but videogames have custer's revenge

has the anime fandom successfully combined sexual demeaning with racism yet
  • ...why did i ask this

I swear that the dark side of the anime fandom manages to out-gross even video games.

but videogames have custer's revenge

has the anime fandom successfully combined sexual demeaning with racism yet
  • edited 2014-07-03 11:57:13
    ^^ Yeah, probably. Consider hentai. Or don't. Actually, yes, don't.

Now let's resume talking about how great these shows I'm recommending you are and how you should see them.

^ THAT DOESN'T COUNT.
    I liked Ergo Proxy all the way through.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Odradek said:

I liked Ergo Proxy all the way through.

I have heard mixed things, but I will probably see it eventually.

Although I have Wolf's Rain and Texhnolyze in the queue after RahXephon, so that's gonna wait...
    Also, I'm gonna watch Shigurui at some point, gods help me.
  • I might have seen one ep of Ergo Proxy.

It was vaguely intriguing, I think.
  • kill living beings
    loling at the faces in that parasyte stuff

"?!"
  • Glenn, I think you're conflating several different things with regards to why people like "craziness" in anime.

Nui crazy is not the same as Daily Lives of High School Boys crazy.
    This is true.

Cromartie is not Higurashi.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Yeah, you tend to do that like a whole lot, and then also act like the almost-strawmen like inferior stuff out of some weird sense of contrarianism.

I can vouch for the Hunter x Hunter fight scenes being exactly like what Odradek and naney have described them as, too, though I'm only 12 episodes in.
  • Actually I kinda do enjoy the deadpan absurdity of Cromartie.
  • edited 2014-07-03 15:34:26
    Crystal said:

Yeah, you tend to do that like a whole lot, and then also act like the almost-strawmen like inferior stuff out of some weird sense of contrarianism.

I don't actually think that the stuff I like is necessarily better.  I just think it's different, I guess.

And not very well-represented, but this notion is based on the fact that stuff tends not to catch my fancy very often -- whereas I see people going bonkers with glee over the next show by Studio Deen or the next show starring Nana Mizuki or the next show by Gainax or whatever.

I guess I just don't understand that feel...
  • edited 2014-07-03 15:32:01
    Further RahXephon observations: Even setting aside the heavy involvement of the director, one can see the show's tone as almost a golden mean of the primary script writer's styles - these being the men behind serial experiments: lain, Noein, Planetes and Revolutionary Girl Utena. Which is certainly no slouch team. But it makes sense and it feels extremely tonally cohesive.
    Not related to the above show: I am trying to find ludicrously obscure anime shows still worth watching. So far Ashita no Nadja and the original version of MAPS look somewhat promising.
  • ^ for that purpose I usually recommend Rocket Girls.
  • Not related to the above show: I am trying to find ludicrously obscure anime shows still worth watching. So far Ashita no Nadja and the original version of MAPS look somewhat promising.

Dunno about obscure, but I think you'd enjoy Level E. I haven't watched the anime, but I very much enjoyed the manga. Plus, it's only 13 episodes, so it's pretty short.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    If you want obscure, try California Crisis!

(Quality is not guaranteed; hilarity is)
  • edited 2014-07-03 16:16:31
    ^^^ Hmmm. Not sure if it's my thing, and the director and series composer have done little else - the latter was the show-runner for Junjou Romantica (which is supposedly unusually tolerable for yaoi) and scripted much of Ginga Densetsu Weed (like Watership Down, but with feral dogs! huzzah!) but that's it - but the involvement of JAXA and other elements are intriguing. Maybe.

^^ I have heard decent things about that one!

^ Funny-bad is good.
  • ^^ For just a 45 minute one-time thing, that seems like good snark material to watch with my friends.  Thanks.
    Finished up RahXephon.

That was an odd ending. I think I'm going to need to mull over this, but my brain feels tired. The stinger at the very end, while expected, was quite satisfying, and I do like what they seemed to be saying overall, but there are a lot of plot details that I need to let fall into place. The pieces fit, but they're all over the table.

Anyway, I'm going to watch Wolf's Rain now, because for some reason I am really liking symbolism right now. And wolves. I like wolves. Yeah...
  • kill living beings
    maybe read the dandelion girl
    I liked that a lot. Thank you.

Although I already understood the part that touches on those themes. I'm more puzzled about [why Mr. Bodyhopper was exiled or sent out by the Mu, and what exactly Maya's intentions were]. I mean, I have theories as to what was going on there, but I'm going to have to think about it.
  • kill living beings
    i have no idea. it seemed like a part of the plot that wasn't too relevant to the point of the show but gets gone over in the supplemental material for nerds. like evangelion's great ancestral race.
    There are clues to both, but it feels like the latter is more up to interpretation.

Anyway, now I'm torn: Should I watch Now and Then, Here and There before, after, or concurrent with my viewing of Wolf's Rain?
  • edited 2014-07-04 16:52:39
    Screw it, after. I can wait to get my heart ripped from my chest.

Then I'll watch Texhnolyze. For maximum misery.
    The first episode of Tokyo Ghoul was good. I hope the protagonist gets less wimpy.

Mind you, all his reactions in the latter half of the episode were understandable given his circumstances, but his timidity was a bit annoying in the first half, before shit hits the fan.
    Wolf's Rain is really, really good, you guys.

I mean, it's Keiko Nobumoto's baby - she was head of story on Cowboy Bebop, and her writing was arguably just as important to its tone as Watanabe's direction - so it's not like that's a surprise, but really, go watch this. It is not only in the same league in writing, but this is BONES at the top of their game in the animation as well.

And I still have about twenty episodes to go. That's pleasing rather than daunting.
  • kill living beings
    is tokyo ghoul about a half-ghoul (whatever) who doesn't want to be a ghoul and it's horror or whatever. i think i heard some guys talking about tha

is tokyo ghoul about a half-ghoul (whatever) who doesn't want to be a ghoul and it's horror or whatever. i think i heard some guys talking about tha

Yes
    Akame Ga Kill is the dumbest thing I've seen in a while and I'm probably gonna end up watching every episode of it.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    is that a kill la kill sequel/ripoff
    Lilly said:

is that a kill la kill sequel/ripoff

no
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    no
    So I'm watching episode six of Wolf's Rain and Tsume's been kind of a dick for a while but then there are more and more of these moments where you see something more there and then finally the moment comes around and all I want to say is, "FUCK YEAH, TSUME. FINALLY."