Anime

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Watched more Texhnolyze.

Yoshii is one scary motherfucker.
    Nichijou is expiring on Crunchyroll at the end of the month. u_u

I will be watching that tomorrow, I think...
    Again: I need to see this show.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    I stopped watching that one on ep 9 or so because the player crashed and I lost motivation.
    Watching the first episode now and...

*SALMON*
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    half of the jokes are obscure (to us, I guess) Japanese culture references but the other half are balls-out fucking insane in the best way possible
  • kill living beings
    the rain at the temple scene is definitely one of the primary achievements of human civilization
    Holy shit, Texhnolyze just went full Kafka and it was literally one of the most horrifying things that I have ever seen in a television show. For all the body horror, human tragedy and moral void in this series, it was the single quietest episode so far that actually made me want to recoil.

Like, I sort of saw it coming, but then you get to the lip of the pit and you actually look down...
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

I swear I am barely a fifth of the way into Texhnolyze and it is one of the darkest things that I have ever seen yet also... somehow perfect? As in there is really nothing wrong with it and it is doing exactly what it intends to do without a hitch or a hiccough. And I get the feeling that it's just going to keep getting darker while still being this well-executed.

Also, first time since the final arc of Fullmetal Alchemist that I have seen a female character make a sleazy advance on a helpless male person that was played for horror and repulsion yet devoid of misogynistic animus. Kudos, show. You made me wince. In a responsible way.

When did this happen in FMA?
  • edited 2014-08-30 12:35:06
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ["To make love to the son of Hohenheim."]

'Nough said. Ew.
    And that's Texhnolyze.

That was on par with Grave of the Fireflies in terms of just how depressing that whole experience was. Possibly even more so, somehow.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Watched Paranoia Agent.

Satoshi Kon continues to be a mad genius.
    That is a great show. "Happy Family Planning" and the anime production episode are seriously the best things ever, but even setting those aside it's just brilliantly put together.
    Observation: One of the main themes in Nichijou strongly resembles the melody to the verse of Gary Numan's "Are Friends Electric?", which is appropriate since Nano is best character.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Not gonna lie, the new Fall Anime season looks pretty boring. All sequels, except for the Parasyte anime
    Most recent anime seasons have been fairly uninspiring. I can probably count on both hands the number of shows that I have actually wanted to see in the last two years, including one or two that actually surprised me.
    Haibane Renmei is one of the most soothing things that I have seen in a long time despite the fact that the first episode has a pair of wings burst out of a girl's back in a disturbingly realistic fashion. Incidentally, this speaks less to what I have been watching (though I have been watching some rather frenetic and grim things) than the fact that it is such a peaceful programme. It is like drinking really fine unsweetened green tea.
  • kill living beings
    you watched the whole thing yet or
    I am about a quarter of the way in. I know that it gets darker in tone and I can already see the purgatory thing pretty clearly, but that doesn't change the fact that it has such a serene tone at this point.
  • edited 2014-09-06 00:52:29

in other news i cannot stop watching Haibane Renmei and it is just fucking destroying me

for some reason i was expecting something kinda cutesey and slice-of-life-y

but instead i got a quiet fantasy/drama that perfectly hits almost
    all of the underlying fears/worries/neuroses/obsessions that i rarely if
    ever talk about with others

help

• kill living beings
    yeah it's the only good depiction of depression i've seen in moving pictures

anyway monthly girls nozaki kun is funny as hell
  • ULTRA-RAD HACKER REFUGEE FROM THE FUTURE
    naney said:

Yo. Like. This shit is hilarious.

This shit is my effing jam.

You gotta know what I mean.
  • finished Haibane Renmei last night

im gonna have to watch it a few more times but

it might just be my fave anime ever
  • up next on my to-watch list: Princess Jellyfish and

• Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    So I watched the first couple of episodes of Michiko to Hatchin

It's a show about a girl with a super abusive (adoptive) family who gets taken away from her misery when her escaped convict mother comes crashing into their house on a bike and kidnaps her

They then go on an adventure to find Hatchin's mother while avoiding the cops and her foster family who wants her back for the child support money

As far as I've seen it's a pretty fun show that hits all the right cords both in terms of comedy and touching moments

It's also an anime which doesn't take place in Japan, or America even, rather taking place on a fictional island that has Brazil as a strong cultural influence, which is pretty interesting

Also, the opening is pretty bitchin'

• Bunny said:

So I watched the first couple of episodes of Michiko to Hatchin

It's a show about a girl with a super abusive (adoptive) family who gets taken away from her misery when her escaped convict mother comes crashing into their house on a bike and kidnaps her

They then go on an adventure to find Hatchin's mother while avoiding the cops and her foster family who wants her back for the child support money

As far as I've seen it's a pretty fun show that hits all the right cords both in terms of comedy and touching moments

It's also an anime which doesn't take place in Japan, or America even, rather taking place on a fictional island that has Brazil as a strong cultural influence, which is pretty interesting

Also, the opening is pretty bitchin'

It's pretty good for the most part. Some episodes are hit or miss, but it's worth it just to get to the last 4 episodes.

And yeah the opening is bitching.
  • naney said:

up next on my to-watch list: Princess Jellyfish and

You should totally watch Shirokuma Cafe. It has the VA of the Medicine Seller from Mononoke play a talking Polar Bear who runs his own cafe and loves bad word puns.
    ^ I have heard really good things about that show and most of the complaints directed at it just strike me as very "you are not allowed to have fun"-ish, so maybe someday.
  • i have that on my "to watch" list too

also Princess Jellyfish is very, very fun. highly recommended.
    I need to finish it when we get our Netlix back, among other things.
  • mostly i use netflix for Star Trek
    I use Netflix for movies and the handful of series I'm interested in that are on DVD but not on Hulu.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Watched the first arc of Mononoke. It was... something, that's for sure.
    Probably the weakest arc, but it's a good introduction. Keep going.
  • edited 2014-09-16 20:42:16

Watched the first arc of Mononoke. It was... something, that's for sure.

:D

It gets even better after the first arc, so I'll be interested in seeing what you think when you finish. Also, before you watch the last arc, you should watch the last 3 episodes of Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales, which has the original story that led to Mononoke getting it's own TV show, since the last arc in Mononoke is a retelling of that story (sort of).

^ and Ninja'd
  • Watched the first episode of Futari wa Precure on a whim out of a desire to watch something "Magical Girly".

idk what I was expecting but this show is strange.

also every piece of music in it is amazing.
    This is what PUAs Actually Believe

• LWLW
    edited 2014-09-18 23:52:04

I usually say moe stuff is garbage as some kind of self-deprecating joke, but reading this review and encountering certain fan behaviors associated with those shows and similar media is making me increasingly annoyed with them.

First off, the idea that someone could have an emotionally fulfilling relationship with a fictional character does not make sense to me given the inherently one-sided nature of that "relationship." Honestly, obsessions with fictional characters generally do not seem healthy to me.

The "waifu" talk about characters in games is similarly annoying in my mind, especially in light of the rather unfortunate views about women among some people who play games. Granted, this type of behavior is not limited to anime/manga and games; I have also seen it related to characters in MLP and other western animated shows.

That is all probably just preaching to the choir though. I guess I only mention it because I feel like the type of talk mentioned above is prevalent enough that reading anime and games sites often requires wading through a bunch of it, something that can be frustrating when it bugs you.

To make a long story short, I guess I understand a little better why some people dislike seeing anime avatars, especially anime avatars featuring young girls, on forums, YouTube, and the like. While I still think that sort of prejudice is largely unwarranted, the types of behavior mentioned in this post (among other things) definitely make me less inclined to want to tell people I like anything anime-related.
  • the aunt from grave of the fireflies is my waifu
  • edited 2014-09-18 23:50:21
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ Yeah, same.

There is also the added layer of infantilisation in moe media that the reviewer touches upon which can be really uncomfortable. It does a disservice to women by putting forth this weird ideal of pathetic fragility and ill-serves male viewers in a host of smaller ways, not the least of which being the implication that a basic power disparity is essential to relationships.

I have no problem with cute characters and designs, but I do have a problem with how the portrayal tends to be crafted and used. It's kind of sleazy.
  • I have never actually seen anyone use the term "waifu" in a non self-depreciating sense. Also a lot of "moe anime"....isn't, like the examples people always cite are Lucky*Star, which is a sitcom, and K-On! which has its share of creepy fans and is not great, but is a pretty typical comedy as well.

in unrelated news

I started watching the newest Precure series (something about the original puts me off and I can't place my finger on what), and I have made the following observations.
    • hair in this universe is some shiny metal/plastic substance that can be freely shaped to the hair-haver's whim
    • Terribad and Kindabad are the best possible names for evil henchmen
    • Cure Lovely's idea of spreading love all over the world is punching the fuck out of everyone.
    • what the fuck is that weird like, not-quite-CG style they switch to sometimes? It's weird.
    Lucky Star is basically anime!Seinfeld, yes, although the character designs and stereotypes definitely play on moe culture for the sake of humour. K-On! is... well, it's not a sappy drama, but it's definitely pandering to that crowd. When I think of the sleazy side of moe, though, I generally think of stuff like Kanon or a lot of the carbon copy tripe that bubbles up from the void each year.
  • Thing is like

I don't know of anyone who watches that stuff.

In fact other than Kanon itself (which I know absolutely nothing about other than its status as "the third one" in this argument), I cannot name a single show in the described vein.

Basically all I am getting at is that I am not sure what is being discussed when "moe anime" is brought up. Even stuff  that appears outwardly shloozy at first glance like YuruYuri has merits.

I guess there's My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute. But isn't even that a comedy? My assumption was that the problem there was a contingent of the fanbase taking what was supposed to be a stupid comedy as genuine.
    I don't think that you want to know the kind of people that like that sort of thing without a sense of irony.
  • kill living beings
    being a comedy doesn't preclude parts being meant seriously

example: I've watched a few episodes of my little sister can't etc. at one point some online fanficish bullshit by the sister gets an anime adaptation and there's an episode revolving around editing interference and stuff. obviously this is a ridiculous fantasy, like some Eragon shit, but the jokes aren't mocking the idea of some teen's garbage getting a tv show, that's just taken for granted as serious.

I stopped watching around there, forget why I started in the first place, it was just so pandering. it still had irony! just not in the right places for me to feel that nobody on the production team actually wanted to fuck their sister

I get this with anime a lot really
    So does this mad sensation of wanting to comb down the main character's hair in Bakemonogatari ever go away?
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    nah
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    but how else will we know whether he has a boner
  • being a comedy doesn't preclude parts being meant seriously

example: I've watched a few episodes of my little sister can't etc. at one point some online fanficish bullshit by the sister gets an anime adaptation and there's an episode revolving around editing interference and stuff. obviously this is a ridiculous fantasy, like some Eragon shit, but the jokes aren't mocking the idea of some teen's garbage getting a tv show, that's just taken for granted as serious.

I stopped watching around there, forget why I started in the first place, it was just so pandering. it still had irony! just not in the right places for me to feel that nobody on the production team actually wanted to fuck their sister

I get this with anime a lot really

I have never actually seen Oreimo. So that could well be the case (is that even on anymore? I don't keep up with these things).

Like I don't doubt that this idea of horrible Sankanku nerd-pandering moe must come from somewhere, I just don't know where.