Anime

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    I am glad that Naney and Crystal are watching HxH, because the events in the latter half of the Chimera Ant arc are fascinating and I want someone to talk to about them.
  • I have not, although I have heard that the latter half leaves much to be desired, which is unfortunate.

I've heard that opinion, but personally I find it to be kind of an overstatement. The second half isn't as good as the first half, but I still found the second half enjoyable.
  • edited 2014-07-20 11:31:51
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

I have not, although I have heard that the latter half leaves much to be desired, which is unfortunate.

I've heard that opinion, but personally I find it to be kind of an overstatement. The second half isn't as good as the first half, but I still found the second half enjoyable.
    I will keep that in mind.

On a different note...

Apparent moral of episode twenty-two: "Thou shalt not fuck with Toboe."

Or the show-runner for Lucky Star. That episode was dark.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit

Best characters
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Isaac and Miria are indeed amazing.
  • im watching JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...

I have not, although I have heard that the latter half leaves much to be desired, which is unfortunate.

I thoroughly enjoyed both parts, though I think the second half is just as enjoyable. The most noticeable difference to me is how it goes at a much different pace than the first half (plus a few new characters are introduced, of course), which I find fairly fitting given the events up to that point. There's more to it naturally, but that's what comes to mind. I could be mistaken in my guess, since it's been awhile.
    Bunny said:

Best characters
    Isaac and Miria are wonderful.
  • his hat is his hair

fucking incredible
    So, finished episode twenty-six, which was the broadcast ending, and... you know, they could have ended on a worse note, but it leaves a lot of things hanging that beg to be resolved. So, on to the DVD episodes! Huzzah!

Oh, and the creepy annoying owl sort of kind of almost gets explained! Wow!
  • his hat

is his hair

this is the best anime of all time
    naney said:

his hat is his hair

fucking incredible

Watchin' Part 3 first?
  • kill living beings
    :x
    ...these next few episodes are just going to be an endless procession of D: without respite.

I am certain of this.

All of the D:
  • Crystal said:

I thoroughly enjoyed both parts, though I think the second half is just as enjoyable. The most noticeable difference to me is how it goes at a much different pace than the first half (plus a few new characters are introduced, of course), which I find fairly fitting given the events up to that point. There's more to it naturally, but that's what comes to mind. I could be mistaken in my guess, since it's been awhile.
    That's a fair point.
    *...*

D:
  • episode 3 be like

"Only then will appear the wretched beast."

0-0

Help.
    You know, as horrifying and sad as that all was, I really, really liked that ending.
  • well that's good!
    I am totally going to have to re-watch this thing some time in the future. There is a lot going on that it took me a while to catch onto.
  • edited 2014-07-20 17:35:17
    Also, about that last episode: In all seriousness, the scariest anime antagonist that I have yet seen. Not the most monstrous or evil or threatening or grotesque. Just...

There is something truly terrifying about a character that has absolutely nothing to lose who believes with every fibre of their being that they are in the right despite having every sane indication that they are deeply in the wrong.

[AND THOSE EYES.]
  • edited 2014-07-21 16:48:35

You took everything out of the fridge and didn't bother putting any of it away!
    Devo/Soul Sacrifice aka Umberto Eco
  • edited 2014-07-22 11:32:58
    Enjoying Natsume's Book of Friends very much. Exactly what I needed: Quiet, understated and melancholy but also funny and a little strange.
    Just found out that the director of the much-lauded Gatchaman CROWDS was none other than Kenji Nakamura, also known as the man responsible for Mononoke and Trapeze.

It's on Hulu. I am so watching this.
    Hey Naney what's your read on the members of the Royal Guard right now? I'm interested to see how it changes as you finish the arc.
  • like in terms of humanity vs antitude?
    naney said:

like in terms of humanity vs antitude?

That's a good axis, but your opinions in general would be interesting.
  • hmm.

Shaiapouf might actually be the most human of the guards ironically enough, just through his rather blatant neurotic-ness. Youpi seems to be developing a sort of "stoic, honorable warrior" personality

as for Neferpitou it's hard to tell
  • kill living beings
    so is this like a cross of shia lebeouf and a shoopuf
    Well I'm pretty sure all the Royal Guard are Actual Cannibals so
    Also ATTN everyone watching HxH

Notify me when you watch Episode 126.
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    Zankyou no Terror  is slow going thus far but definitely much better than Space Dandy, Aldnoah.Zero is not hugely interesting but offers some competent mecha action, Tokyo Ghoul has a supremely whiny main character but I still wanna see where they're going with it

anybody watching anything else this season?
    I will watch the new Mushi-Shi, but I need to finish the original first, and technically that started last season. I might watch Terror in Resonance at some point, because serious!Watanabe is fun, but to be honest not much has struck my fancy lately. I still haven't gotten around to most of the recent shows that I wanted to check out over the last few seasons, and I like to wait for the cours to wrap so I don't have to wait for new stuff.
    I will eventually get to Ping-Pong regardless of whatever else I do, however, seeing as Masaaki Yuasa is my spirit animal.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Incidentally, Mushishi is what my anime club is watching today.

Should be fun.
    Tokyo Ghoul has some pretty cool stuff going on, and I've heard there's some nice character development that addresses the spineless main character thing in the manga.
    Bunny said:

Incidentally, Mushishi is what my anime club is watching today.

Should be fun.
    It's beautiful and possibly the most traditionally Japanese animated thing you will ever see that doesn't have the word mononoke in the title.
    With episode 135 I have finished Hunter X Hunter's Chimera Ant arc, AKA the greatest arc ever written in a Shonen ever.

Dear god, that was amazing.
  • edited 2014-07-27 01:24:19
    Are we referring to all shounen series or arc-based tournament shows? Because in the former case, I think of the slow turn of the screw after the reveal of the real antagonist in the original Fullmetal Alchemist and that's a pretty high standard, both in terms of writing quality and sheer D: and :D-ness (in a good way).

Are we referring to all shounen series or arc-based tournament shows? Because in the former case, I think of the slow turn of the screw after the reveal of the real antagonist in the original Fullmetal Alchemist and that's a pretty high standard, both in terms of writing quality and sheer D: and :D-ness (in a good way).

Let me add a "that I've seen" disclaimer.

Still.
    Odradek, go watch the original FMA, please. Yes, it is arguably overhyped (although Brotherhood is more so), but it is also remarkably poignant and well-executed, and... well, occasionally really unsettling and grisly, but not in an exploitative way. But episode seven. Oh jeez.

Odradek, go watch the original FMA, please. Yes, it is arguably overhyped (although Brotherhood is more so), but it is also remarkably poignant and well-executed, and... well, occasionally really unsettling and grisly, but not in an exploitative way. But episode seven. Oh jeez.

I will get around to it eventually.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Just rewatched about half of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Since I know beforehand where the plot is going this time, I can better understand the foreshadowing and twists involved in getting there. Like, I just now picked up that the host of that chat room (who actually knew the Laughing Man) was the super-excited kid from that mental hospital.

It's kind of creepy how quickly the Laughing Man's original purpose got subverted to the benefit of the very corporations he was fighting against.
  • kill living beings
    huh, never noticed that (the spoiler), maybe i should watch again

anybody seen arise? i like the music, by that cornelius dude
  • edited 2014-07-27 23:03:30

huh, never noticed that (the spoiler), maybe i should watch again

anybody seen arise? i like the music, by that cornelius dude

Never noticed that either but now that you mention it, Meta, I can see it.

I've seen the first two episodes of Arise. I can't remember if the 3rd one is out yet. Music is pretty great, kind of ambivalent on Arise as a whole. Definitely not into it as much as Stand Alone Complex or the movies, but it satisfies the craving for more GitS for the time being.
  • edited 2014-07-30 20:07:19
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Bluh bluh.