General Video Game Thread

Comments

• edited 2014-06-10 13:22:31
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    *looks at list* Persona 5 will be a thing. :o Miko again considers purchasing a Playstation 3.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    The Four Job Fiesta has begun!
  • edited 2014-06-16 22:59:35

david o'reilly is makin a video game

FEATURES

* no controls

GENRE

Mountain Simulator, Relax em' up, Art Horror

so you know it's gonna be good
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-06-18 21:47:20
    Hey Glenn, you've played Oath in Felghana and I assume you've done it on Nightmare if your comments on Origin were anything to go by.

Is there a special pattern to keeping Gyalva from spiking the entire floor, never flipping them back, and just freely fireballing or ramming you on your one square of not-death, or is it seriously just dumb luck?  The rows of explosions frameskip me enough that the right moment to jump and hit him in the head never actually renders and accepts input, so I'm already going to be dragging this fight out double-time by having to whirlwind him at chest height.

I hate to put this game on the Better PC Backlog, especially with how well I've been doing up till now.  But if there's no way to deliberately goad his AI into leaving me with usable terrain and I can't end the fight quickly, I'll have to.  I've watched Inferno videos and didn't see anything obvious causing the more favorable AI like I did for Chester's Feint of Doom (it also appears to be impossible to simultaneously stand on both rows for the height boost like they did, and I assume my lower settings are causing an approximation slip).
  • > Hey Glenn, you've played Oath in Felghana and I assume you've done it on
    Nightmare if your comments on Origin were anything to go by.

No, the only Nightmare-difficulty stuff I've done in either game is boss time attack at Nightmare difficulty.

As for Gyalva, I'm wondering if you have two squares of not-death, rather than one, though I'm not sure that's enough to make a difference.
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-06-22 18:33:36

Okay, this game is on sale on Steam for $1 until Friday.  $3.39 as part of the summer festivities.

I tried it through some unscrupulous means because I'm broke as a joke, but do yourself a favor and buy it, because it's rad as hell.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-06-19 11:00:44
    The non-flippabble spots are two squares each, but vertically.  He hits them simultaneously with all attacks and the safe spots are too far to move between.

You can jump the fireballs that normally give you an attack opportunity just fine -- I can even throw charged fireballs of my own to keep chipping at him -- but if he does the barrage from the background or starts a ram from your end, you're basically fucked.
  • Gyalva down.  I beat my head against him for the better part of three hours, and on the run where I finally killed him I took no damage.  While I did indeed do a very smooth job of it, I owed it mostly to the fact that during the 3-4 times he randomly trapped me in a corner he also randomly decided not to dick me over by charging or fireball barraging.

I'm sorry.  I love this game to pieces, but that's a really badly designed boss.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Yarrun: It's really good.

And Ashley Burch! I love Ashley Burch.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-06-22 17:36:03
    Man, for as much as people whine about the second Chester fight, it's not really that bad even on Nightmare, just really long.  I nearly took him down on my second try.  Fucking Schultiger was harder than this.
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-06-22 19:49:14
    okay so

I don't have any Steam cash but I do have $4 in Amazon gift card codes

anyone want to trade for Tiny & Big?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-06-27 01:26:47
    I'm right near the end of my Oath in Felghana Nightmare run, just grinding up the last couple armor upgrades for Galbalan.  After I do the boss rush and kiting olympics Berhardt, I'm thinking about liveblogging Inferno.
  • Anyone need Steam Summer Adventure Cards to complete their sets?
  • PLATINUM IS MAKING A LEGEND OF KORRA GAME.

I REPEAT:

PLATINUM IS MAKING A LEGEND OF KORRA GAME.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Excited, but cautious. It's licensed and production will likely be rushed.

I still don't like the Korra show, mind you.
  • does anybody? I thought the general consensus was that it was disappointing.
    I don't know about the general consensus, but I know there is a large number of folks who love it.
  • I know one guy who likes it a lot but that's about it.

Good for fans of the show I guess.

I only saw the first....three episodes? I think? And then stopped watching after the development of a love triangle became super-obvious.
  • The first few episodes are absolutely phenomenal but then the rest of the first season- which I didn't watch past, by the way- squanders the series' potential. The onus of this is often placed on the love triangle, but I found most of the issues to be pretty deep tissue stuff while the love triangle was more of a minor annoyance.
    The problem with Korra is that it is everything I didn't want.

I wanted Book 1 to be about fighting for equal rights, trying to take back control amidst chaos, finding middle ground between the powerful and the powerless. But it wasn't, it was all over the place.

I don't know what I wanted out of 2, but I certainly didn't want bastardized New Age kumbaya wa-wa Daoism.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Man, you guys have not been talking about enough roguelikes while I've been gone

Y'all disappoint me
    I don't really have the patience for roguelikes.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    My gf plays Crawl but roguelikes are maybe a little too brutal and random for me to get into.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    The only roguelikes I consistently play are FTL: Faster Than Light, the Binding of Isaac, Teleglitch, and Don't Starve. I could talk your ears off about the first two, but I genuinely doubt anyone wants that, so I generally keep it to the places where I think I can get a response, if I feel like talking about them.

Chances are I'll get into other roguelikes eventually, though it just won't be immediate. I already have enough games to play (roguelike or otherwise), can all too easily get sucked up into them, and would need texture packs to deal with the much older ones because I'm a filthy casual.

That said, Bunny, if you've got any recommendations for free roguelikes I'll happily note them down for later. Probably post my thoughts here, too, once I do play any of them. Similarly: Does anyone know about any games similar to FTL? It's probably one of my favorite games, so I'd love to note down any others like it. The pseudo-real time/real time strategy and resource management aspects are thoroughly appealing to me.
    The only roguelike I really have to recommend is dungeon crawl stone soup as the best classic roguelike.

Although if you have an android device, Pixel Dungeon is a lite roguelike well worth your time.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I do not. Downloading Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup right now though, the Tiles version specifically. That looks pretty nice. I'm absolutely sure that I could get used to games that use ASCII, I just find it very unappealing to look at.
    Understandable. ASCII is not everyone's cup of tea.
  • The only Roguelike I've ever played was the original Rogue. I liked it, but couldn't get far because there were so many commands to remember.
  • Kex, you should play The Binding of Isaac.

Everyone should, but you specifically, because it's heavily Zelda-inspired and is also a roguelike.

Play the demo on Newgrounds first though to make sure it runs on your computer.

So anyway, we got Titanfall from Gamefly the other day. My final verdict is that it's fun but god I wish I had better internet.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Kexruct said:

The only Roguelike I've ever played was the original Rogue. I liked it, but couldn't get far because there were so many commands to remember.

Dungeon Crawl is a more accessible version of that, because there's much less stuff to remember.

Also I once saw a blogger say that BOI was proof that Team Meat didn't know what they were doing, and sure proof that they would fail once Super Meat Boy fervor went down.
    Also ordinary people don't need computers, and this germ theory of Messiur Pasteur's is patent nonsense.
  • Oath in Felghana Nightmare complete.  Galbalan was exactly as nasty as I expected, but I had gotten so good at optimizing my damage output while beating my head against him on Nightmare that I tried him on a lower difficulty and got the achievement for a flawless kill without too much trouble.

Doing the boss rush tomorrow, and might have to leave it on overnight to finish Tuesday, but I'm totally capable of killing every boss there at appropriate level.

And then...Inferno.  God help me.
    I am reaching Miko-like levels of concentration and determination on the seventh Tricky Treasure in Rayman Origins, and I still haven't done it.
  • I loved the treasure chases.  Which one is that?
    The one with the ice floes
    Also I just did it
  • good job! :D

the last three are gonna kick your ass, so get excited :P
  • So, questions for any Dark Souls players: Does starting class have much bearing on play style and building a character? Also, what's a good stating gift?
    It's more of a suggestion and a starting equipment load than a straight jacket. Warrior, Wanderer, and Pyromancer are all good starters.

The Master Key is hands down the best gift. Old Witch's ring lets you talk to an otherwise silent NPC. Tiny Being's Ring is a lie.
  • Odradek said:

It's more of a suggestion and a starting equipment load than a straight jacket. Warrior, Wanderer, and Pyromancer are all good starters.

The Master Key is hands down the best gift. Old Witch's ring lets you talk to an otherwise silent NPC. Tiny Being's Ring is a lie.

Okay, good to know.

Any general advice you can give someone with no experience with this franchise?
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I'll go against popular opinion here and say don't take the Master Key on a first run. It makes progression a lot less obvious, and can lead to some really nasty situations if you don't have prior knowledge about them.
  • I'll go against popular opinion here and say don't take the Master Key on a first run. It makes progression a lot less obvious, and can lead to some really nasty situations if you don't have prior knowledge about them.

What would you recommend instead of the Master Key?
  • Black Firebombs are better than the Master Key on your first time through.

Odradek said:

Okay, good to know.

Any general advice you can give someone with no experience with this franchise?
    Equipment load is important. You want to stay below 50% of your max for a good dodge roll.

Sorcery scales with intelligence, Miracles scale with Faith, Pyromancy gets stronger as you upgrade your flame with a trainer.

If you aren't making progress in an area, try exploring somewhere else. Dark Souls is practically a Metroidvania.

As soon as you can, buy a shield with 100% block from a merchant. The relevant shield stat is Stability not damage.

Experiment with weapons. Find a move set you like.

Don't level up Resistance

Attunement controls your spell slots

If you see a man trapped in a barrel, roll to free him, don't attack.

Three NPCs are murderous liars. Have fun figuring out which ones.

Read item descriptions. Even keys.