The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• So I did a silly thing.

Mother let me borrow her 2008 Pontiac to take to the store just now. Since I rarely get to drive that one, I took it for the world's shortest joyride--by which I mean I went two traffic lights further than I needed to and turned around in a Target parking lot.

While I was driving it, I noticed the turn signals were acting funny, so when I got home I decided to check and make sure they were all lighting properly. I did it the same way I always do: hit the flasher button then walk around the car and check that all four of them are lit up.

But then when I went to turn them off...I couldn't. I pressed the button again but they kept on flashing.

So I freaked out and went up to my parents' room to wake up Dad to help me. I was kinda panicky and I said "I hit the flasher buttons in Mom's car and now they won't turn off!" But I inadvertently woke up Mom too, and all she heard was "I hit...in Mom's car!"

So Dad came downstairs and got a coat on right as I got back outside and somehow managed to turn the flashers off. (I still don't know what I did differently.) Result: My parents now have to try to get back to sleep and I made a fool of myself and BRRRGHGV.
    You are adorable
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    (In reference to an undead character)

"Life is like wine, best enjoyed in moderation. I don't envy Brutus' hangover. *chuckles*"

I really, really like that line.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    ...So even my bumbling idiocy is cute to you guys?

Good to know, I guess.
  • edited 2013-02-08 01:32:21
    Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Bumbling idiocy is cute to a lot of people.

That is why Dojikko is a thing.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    do you ever drink non-diet soda sweetie
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    ...pff, I can't find the flashlight I was using for a pretend microphone before I went to the store

How will I sing along with '80s songs NOW

...pff, I can't find the flashlight I was using for a pretend microphone before I went to the store

How will I sing along with '80s songs NOW
    do what I did as a youngun

cut out a microphone from paper

KUSA logo flag optional :P
  • edited 2013-02-08 01:41:18
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    ^^^ Sometimes, but not very often.

I actually wanted a Pepsi Throwback tonight, but Meijer didn't seem to have any, so I went with a Diet Dr Pepper...

^ Aww, I'll bet you were a cute kid.
  • edited 2013-02-08 02:37:54
    Sing FREELY

(Or learn to sing in a chorus, like I did in high school.)
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I think

I should probably go to bed
    lee4hmz said:

CA: That crosswalk is long enough that I'm surprised they didn't build a bridge...

I keep wondering how they set up the timing. The minimum time required for a walk phase would far exceed the amount of the time to clear Powers Ferry Road's vehicular traffic. Not to mention the mess it would cause to try to have any sort of signal progression along either road...

The only thing I can think of: they must have it configured so the pedestrian phase is only called specifically when somebody presses the button. It would still be a mess, and honestly the crosswalk probably shouldn't exist, but it's better than throwing up the walk phase every single time.
    Good night Imi.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Hey
  • Someone put that I was a Dojikko on my troper page...

Well, I do trip over my own feet and drop things...

I wish I were female.
    I wish I had somewhere to explore.
    I wish I had a mystery to solve.
    I wish I had something great to write.
    I wish I had something I could be proud to put my name on.
    I wish I was passionate enough about a field to pursue a Ph.D.
    I wish I could be a better friend to my friends.
    I wish I could know who considers me a friend.
    I wish I could be one of the cool kids.
    I wish there was something I was an expert on.
    I wish I didn't live in the artificial suburbs.
    I wish I didn't live in a backwards, bigoted country.
    I wish I had the power to make any of these wishes come true.
  • I consider you a friend :3

Aww, thanks... *blushes*
    you got a friend in me
    Yay friendship! ^_^
    You know, most places in the US, U-turns are allowed unless there's a sign specifically prohibiting them.

In Columbus, Ohio, the exact opposite is true. There's a citywide prohibition on U-turns, unless you specifically see this sign:

i didn't know that U-turns were allowed in a lot of places
    It might be something that varies by state. Double-check your driver's manual before you go making U-turns and telling the state trooper your girlfriend said it was OK.
  • edited 2013-02-08 05:22:51
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I went and did just that, because I'm bored. From the Colorado driver's manual:
    U-TURNS - U-turns are forbidden unless they can be made without endangering other traffic. Prohibitory signs are usually posted at hazardous locations. U-turns are normally permitted where your vehicle can be seen for a great distance. However, it is always preferable to continue to the next street or turn-around area if a U-turn cannot be made safely. Do not try to make a sudden U-turn in front of traffic traveling either direction.
    That seems to imply that U-turns are legal in Colorado as long as (a) no sign prohibits it and (b) you use common sense and don't turn when it's not safe to do so.

Of course, that's assuming the text in this manual is actually reflective of the relevant statute, which is a pretty safe bet, but not always true.
    Mother has said that U-turns were "totally illegal" but I didn't know/remember if that applied to the whole state...
    It's possible Denver and/or Aurora have their own restrictions, too. Like I said, please don't take my word for it.
    You know what I'd like to do within my lifetime? Become known for one thing, then do something else completely unexpected.

So people would be like "Did you know that X was by Alice H? Yes, that Alice H!"
    Basically, a reverse Suzanne Collins

I actually did a double take when I saw her credited as the writer of the Little Bear episode "Little Sherlock Bear" (which I remembered from my early childhood but did not think about who wrote it)
    Actually, you've brought up a good point: It wouldn't matter what order I do them in. I could get known for something, then do something different, but I could also do something, then get known for something different.

It's that "yes, that Alice H!" that I crave.

...this is stupid
  • Naney said:

I mean, it's not as good as the original

but it's good
    Miley is doing a track with Tyler the Creator and Mary J. Blige, who knows anymore?
  • I know a guy at school who thinks he is Brilliant But Lazy. In reality, he is Lazy And Also An Idiot.

This is the guy who thought North Korea was a powerful nation, btw.
  • there is little practical difference between the two anyway.
  • Cynics are annoying enough when they are intelligent.
  • Kexruct said:

I know a guy at school who thinks he is Brilliant But Lazy. In reality, he is Lazy And Also An Idiot.

Do we, by chance, happen to go to the same school? :P
  • Trust me, when I call someone an idiot, that person has to be REALLY dumb.
  • The cynic/idealist divide is largely manufactured anyway, most people are one or the other depending on what's being discussed.

Also is it bad that I sorta hope this snowstorm hits so I don't have to go to work tonight?

also I changed my twitter name.

• I figured.

Actually, you've brought up a good point: It wouldn't matter what order I do them in. I could get known for something, then do something different, but I could also do something, then get known for something different.

It's that "yes, that Alice H!" that I crave.

...this is stupid
    Actually, it isn't stupid. I'm hoping at least one thing I write gets big so people notice the other stuff I've done too, just for kicks.

Or maybe I might become known as a Polygon writer (fingers crossed) and then people don't expect it when I say "hey, I write books too!"
    hey
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    It's weird to find an insane internet philosopher, go on his blog, and see a nude self-shot.
  • there might be coffee
    http://www.dolekemp96.org/main.html

There is well bizarre stuff on the internet.

• effin gorgeous
  • contarp? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
  • Naney said:

contarp? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
  • Spoiler:

PS1 level gore