The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Last I heard from my GP was that the PCT had approved funding, so it's like "WHY ARE YOU DANGLING THIS CARROT FOR NO REASON."
  • The sadness will last forever.
    Holy shit, I just got accepted to my local university!!
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    So today I learned that I ruined one of the enzymes for Cell Biology lab by forgetting to put it back in the fridge. To make matters worse, I remembered five minutes after leaving school, but I was in a hurry to catch my bus on time. So I feel like it was stupid and easily preventable and I was just being a spoiled brat.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    ^^ Awesome!

^ Aww, that sucks. If it helps, that bus driver wasn't gonna wait for you to go back and put that thing in the fridge. :P
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    You're right. And it's not like there was much I could do for the next hour besides eat at McDonald's, which doesn't take nearly an hour and I already had something else in mind for lunch.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    You know what trend I'm glad died out? TVs that only had RCA jacks on the front.

The idea seems to be that you can switch between things easily without having to climb behind your TV, but when you have something "permanent" like a DVD player (like I have with my TV here) it just looks tacky to always have the cables coming out the front like that.

I guess now that every TV comes with 2 composite video inputs, 3 component inputs, 7 HDMI ports, and an S-video in a peartree, manufacturers realize there's not much need to swap things out anymore.
  • edited 2013-02-07 17:01:14
    The sadness will last forever.
    ^ ^ ^ Yeah, it is. :)

The only music channel I have is Escapes.

I have no cable.
    So I caught this out the corner of my eye, and stared at it for a moment going, "wait, who is 'Justice4207'?"

Derp.
  • http://www.buzzfeed.com/lilis2/reasons-why-in-n-out-is-better-than-five-guys

i have never even seen either of these places

but FUCK I AM STARVINGGGGGGGGGGG ;A;

At least food stamps get renewed saturdayyy~ ^w^
  • edited 2013-02-07 17:19:12
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    In 'n' Out sounds interesting. I'll consider it.

There are places I would like to eat at more often. However, I lack funds.
    I've eaten at Five Guys but never In-N-Out...they don't have them around here...
    I've seen one in the Atlanta area, I think. I'd have to double-check to see if it actually exists.

I have eaten at Five Guys, and I enjoyed it.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    They're both good. 

I think Five Guys makes better burgers, but In-N-Out is significantly cheaper and faster.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Also, half the things on that list where pretty dumb. 

There are peanut shells at Five Guys because they give you free freakin' peanuts.

In-N-Out DOES have Animal style everything, however. I'll grant them that.

Still "OMG, TOO MUCH TO CHOSE FROM" is a dumb reason to to dis on Five Guys. 

Also, I'm surprised they didn't mention the price or the fact that you get your food MUCH quicker at In-N-Out.
  • Well, I've definitively failed my first math exam. I'm kind of happy about it. I mean, it sucks that I'm going to have a terrible grade until the next exam, but the fact that I failed an exam I didn't study for is comforting.

Exams, quizzes, tests and other tools of assessment are supposed to show what you have learned from the class. We tend to forget that because they're also used to check if you're qualified for things, and that often takes precedence over learning the material. Nowadays, I feel that more people write tests to see who can pass an arbitrary goalpost than to accurately measure how much the class knows. Likewise, most students, upon getting an A, think "I aced the test!" instead of "I've mastered the material!". We put more importance on the result of knowledge rather than the knowledge itself.

I guess what I'm saying is that I feel that the grade I'll be getting on that exam is proportional to how well I've mastered the material, and I'm glad that I didn't get a grade higher than I deserved. And though my grade's busted for that class, I now know that what I did for this test wasn't right, which means that I can learn from my mistakes and do better next time.
    Justice42 said:

Still "OMG, TOO MUCH TO CHOSE FROM" is a dumb reason to to dis on Five Guys.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that.
  • edited 2013-02-07 18:03:20
    I had a bad day today. I just sort of felt vaguely depressed all day.
    Sorry to hear that, Kex. I hope things get better for you this evening.
  • They'd have to. I'm not at school anymore :P

Cluttered desktops are for non-princesses. v_v
  • I'd participate in that thing, but my background sux.
  • What irritates me is that I love this class but it still gets swamped by the loads of ennui going to a stupid redneck school causes.
  • And I just learned my father is moving to Knoxville, so there's no chance whatsoever of me going back to my old school.

Wonderful.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    could you have gone back anyway?
  • I'd always sort of assumed that because I left for an arbitrary reason going back would hardly be that much more difficult.

Maybe it wasn't the best logic, but still.
    Oh...
  • edited 2013-02-07 20:23:08
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I'm pondering generation names, since "millennials" are in the news again, and I'm actually wondering where I fit in. I guess in technical terms, I'd be Generation X, since my parents were most certainly Baby Boomers (1950 and 1955, respectively), but I've never felt like i fit that label because it seems so broad. I mean, Fast Times at Ridgemont High is ostensibly a Gen X movie, and it came out when I was getting ready to start kindergarten. I wouldn't start high school myself for another 9 years.

Emotionally and friendship-wise, though, I feel more like a Millennial. Most of my brothers were born in or after 1980, my friends have come from both groups but have been leaning towards the Millennial side recently, and so on.

I guess I fit into the 5 years or so of overlap between Gen X and the Millennials, in that case.
  • So, writing dilemma.

In my comic, I decided there weren't enough female characters, so I decided that it might be a good idea to switch the genders of some less developed characters. I thought of one, but here's the problem: his defining trait is his extreme devotion to the (male) antagonist, and I'm worried that if I make this character female it'll come off as sexist.
    I consider myself a Millennial, though "2000s kid" is probably a surer descriptor.
  • i'm a person who was born
    NBC affiliates

Y U no use First Impact
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Kexruct said:

So, writing dilemma.

In my comic, I decided there weren't enough female characters, so I decided that it might be a good idea to switch the genders of some less developed characters. I thought of one, but here's the problem: his defining trait is his extreme devotion to the (male) antagonist, and I'm worried that if I make this character female it'll come off as sexist.
    Especially if someone finds out that she's originally male

then you'll probably get accusations of gay erasure or some shit like that
  • I am listening to Machinedrum's Room(s) and I'm just going to go to bed because fucking internet is so slow.
  • Kexruct said:

So, writing dilemma.

Especially if someone finds out that she's originally male

then you'll probably get accusations of gay erasure or some shit like that
    So, keep the character male?
    Plot bunny:

Spoiler:
    Teenage twins who discover the ability to trade bodies, and then proceed to do so on a regular basis.

...Has that been done before?
  • I am listening to Machinedrum's Room(s) and I'm just going to go to bed because fucking internet is so slow.

Machinedrum is

A.) One of the best producers around right now

B.) Irritatingly difficult for me to listen to for some reason
  • he's also friends with TNGHT. Fun fact.

anyway, night.

good night Mojave.
  • i

want

fuckin'

cookies
    So...no more Saturday mail. :\
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    But there is Thursday night Imi!