The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    You betrayed me, Proto Man!!

I'm gonna break you, Mega Man!!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • No, actually, they're pretty much the same type of people, right down to the threads they have about each other and congratulate themselves on not being goons or redditors. 

Reddit's sort of enormous though. Statistically speaking, they can't all be the people you're describing. I know for a fact there's even a reddit dedicated to criticizing the rest of reddit.

• No, actually, they're pretty much the same type of people, right down to the threads they have about each other and congratulate themselves on not being goons or redditors. 

Reddit's sort of enormous though. Statistically speaking, they can't all be the people you're describing. I know for a fact there's even a reddit dedicated to criticizing the rest of reddit.

And, if I know human behavior, there's a reddit dedicated to criticizing that reddit.
  • Kexruct said:

TvT isn't usually sexist, though. They have problems, yeah, but sexism is rarely on of them.

*chokes on laughter*

@CAD video: Tom Preston watching Tom Preston be strangled made me laugh
    Tbh, I never saw sexism on TvT outside the OTC

But the OTC was full of racist homophobic transophobic people so sexism was just completing the set.
    If anything, OTC's problem was that there was little middle ground between fanatical conservatives in self important liberals.
  • About finished my paper-writing quota for the day.

Questioning whether to just buckle down and finish or pop in that copy of Arkham City that I haven't touched since I bought it.

(All these Steam sales mean that I have more games than I actually play. Playing a new game allows me to validate my purchases. But it's also wasting time, which is bad)
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Dear Windows app developers,

When I minimize your app, that's because I want it to appear in the taskbar. If it has a notification icon, that's fine, but having a notification icon is not an acceptable substitute for appearing in the taskbar. If you want an option to have only the notification icon visible at any given time, the correct way to do so so is when the user hits the "close window" button, not the "minimize window" button.

Yours truly,
    Central Avenue
    Windows user since 1995
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Yarrun said:

No, actually, they're pretty much the same type of people, right down to the threads they have about each other and congratulate themselves on not being goons or redditors. 

And, if I know human behavior, there's a reddit dedicated to criticizing that reddit.
    Yeah, its called ShitRedditSays or r/SRS IIRC.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

Troper Tales had its fair share, mostly Nice Guy whining. IJBM could be pretty dire at times, from what I remember.

I remember the trope pages themselves, for the most part, being actually very critical of sexism, although there was a bit of a backlash against that so I don't know if that's still the case.
    Fouria G said:

Troper Tales had its fair share, mostly Nice Guy whining. IJBM could be pretty dire at times, from what I remember.

I remember the trope pages themselves, for the most part, being actually very critical of sexism, although there was a bit of a backlash against that so I don't know if that's still the case.
    Troper Tales and IJBM are before mah time though.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Troper Tales is almost not worth counting, though, since it was made of 95% concentrated dumb.
  • I remember the trope pages themselves, for the most part, being actually
    very critical of sexism, although there was a bit of a backlash against
    that so I don't know if that's still the case.
    I still occasionally go on TVT and it seems like a million Double Standard and Gender Counterpart tropes have popped up...which...I mean, I feel it's a little ridiculous especially when one trope could be made to embody both.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.

Dear Windows app developers,

When I minimize your app, that's because I want it to appear in the taskbar. If it has a notification icon, that's fine, but having a notification icon is not an acceptable substitute for appearing in the taskbar. If you want an option to have only the notification icon visible at any given time, the correct way to do so so is when the user hits the "close window" button, not the "minimize window" button.

Yours truly,
    Central Avenue
    Windows user since 1995
    I wonder if there's an app that enforces windows apps to behave like what you're suggesting. This kind of thing irritates the shit out of me too. 
  • I remember the trope pages themselves, for the most part, being actually
    I still occasionally go on TVT and it seems like a million Double Standard and Gender Counterpart tropes have popped up...which...I mean, I feel it's a little ridiculous especially when one trope could be made to embody both.
    It'd have to be a loooooooooong trope page.
  • edited 2012-12-09 17:22:07
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    @ CA: That is perfectly true.

@ JZ: Oh dear.  I was afraid that might be the case.

Re: Something Awful, it's a while since I've read the forums, but I distinctly recall goons being prone to criticizing one another as well, although mainly along pretty clearly delineated factional lines (i.e. gung-ho social justice types vs. FYAD trolls).
  • Kexruct said:

I remember the trope pages themselves, for the most part, being actually
    Yeah, long pages tend to get split so that the server doesn't crash every time they're edited.
  • Kexruct said:

I remember the trope pages themselves, for the most part, being actually
    Yeah, long pages tend to get split so that the server doesn't crash every time they're edited.
    Fuckyeah Eddie Coding
  • Considering he's the only person programming it, it's actually quite impressive.
    I was honestly surprised at how bad Eddie's coding was considering Eddie was supposed to be a coding genius.
    I was never sure what to make of Something Awful. All I really know about it is that I feel left out when #yackfest tends to go on about it, since a significant number of the channel regulars are also goons.

I maintain this is one of many things on TVT that should be corrected on a technical level, not an editorial level. As a result you have pages split rather arbirtrarily (at one point Vriska had a page to herself) and it makes the site a pain to read.
  • edited 2012-12-09 17:28:12
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    You cant really paint a site like SA as somekind of hive mind.
  • Kexruct said:

Considering he's the only person programming it, it's actually quite impressive.

sure.

But part of being a grown-up is knowing when to get help.
  • edited 2012-12-09 17:28:12
    I think it's less of an Eddie thing and more of a "it's a little hard to get really long pages" thing.

Granted, yeah, he could work on raising the upper limit.
  • He codes enemy AI in games for a living. That has little in common with wiki coding.
  • eggy loking thign
  • Mr. Truant said: Kexruct said:Considering he's the only person programming it, it's actually quite impressive.

sure.

But part of being a grown-up is knowing when to get help.

I'm just saying, you tend to complain about people
    a lot.
  • I do wonder what games he's worked on, though.
  • I have a personal vendetta against Eddie.

He codes enemy AI in games for a living. That has little in common with wiki coding.

It could just be that the wiki whatever-the-fuck the site is built on is a gigantic piece of shit to begin with. 
  • edited 2012-12-09 17:33:17

I have a personal vendetta against Eddie.

You and at least half of TvT.

Eddie and at least half of TvT, for that matter.
    A lot of successful sites (such as Twitter) got their start with only one programmer.

The difference, to me, is that most of said sites were attempting to do something that hadn't been done before, at least to some extent. TVT, on the other hand, just needs basic wiki and forum functionality, and there are plenty of existing wiki and forum software packages readily available that function much better than TVT's software. Why not move to one of those? It would be a pain to convert everything over, yes, but in the long run it would save users and staff alike a lot of frustration when things just plain don't work.

(And yes, I know TVT started with PmWiki, but Eddie claims to have rewritten all but one line of its code.)
  • edited 2012-12-09 17:37:49
    Eddie has a personal vendetta against himself?

He was a website admin...
    A website admin with a grudge...
    But now, he'll discover that his biggest enemy is...himself

This summer, Fast Eddie is...The Target.

But yeah, as much as I hate Eddie, I'm like the one person out of all the Troper social circle-things that doesn't hate TVT.
  • Wait, I could've worded that better.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Here is your daily dose of adorable for the day

• What I meant was that Truant and at least half of TvT seem to hate Fast Eddie.
    And Truant seems to hate at least half of TvT.

(And yes, I know TVT started with PmWiki, but Eddie claims to have rewritten all but one line of its code.)
    If it's as horribly broken as you all say (I dunno, I've never really been to TVT) then he should probably undo all of that
  • Questo va fuori a tutti DJs
    This one goes out to all the DJs
  • Questo va fuori a tutti DJs
    This one goes out to all the DJs
  • Hey, CA, I think the posting mechanism is borked now.
  • Oh I don't really think I hate all that many people on TVT.

I mean, the worst I could say about 95% of them is that they are/were kinda boring, insecure teenagers.

While that's not the sorta person I'd wanna hang with, "hate" is a strong word.
    ...talk about irony
  • edited 2012-12-09 17:49:20

YAY HUGS

(* Reciprocates, purrs*)

If it's as horribly broken as you all say (I dunno, I've never really been to TVT) then he should probably undo all of that
    The problem is that Eddie is both impulsive and stubborn, not really a great combo for an admin.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

The problem is that Eddie is both impulsive and stubborn, not really a great combo for an admin.

Sadly, I think you've hit the nail on the head.

He does mean well, though.
  • Eddie used to actually be quite the cool dude. So I thought at the time anyway.

I don't really know if he changed, or just my perception of him did.

I always liked Janitor better, though. Maybe it was just because she was around so rarely she had no real opportunity to fuck things up.