The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Pretty cool, actually.

Other than one guy, all of my coworkers are pretty cool dudes. There's also the fact that I can't mention working at Wegman's anywhere my real name is publicly available (which I don't think includes here, since this is not a Social Media Site, per se) since doing that and then doing anything that violates their extensive Social Media Policy could cost me my job. That's pretty much the only downside though, it's not a hard job, and I seem to be pretty capable of doing it well.

Furthermore, everyone has one aisle to stock. Mine contains (among other things) taco shells, pickle jars, mustard, and--awesomely--Pocky. Other than that, after getting done with some rather dull computer work I spent time learning the ins and outs of properly stocking things, conditioning the aisle (making it look pretty, basically) and so forth.

I also accidentally walked out with a company boxcutter, I should e-mail them and notify them.

• Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    Why on earth would they fire you for mentioning on (for instance) Facebook that you work there?
  • It's not the mentioning in of itself. It's mentioning and then violating their Social Media Policy, which is very, very extensive and covers quite a lot of things. Basically, I'd not be allowed to say anything at all negative about the store, allowed to curse at all, allowed to make any "crude" or "vulgar" statements, and I'd have to quantify pretty much everything I said with a notice that it is only my own opinion and not that of the company's.

I'm not sure how thoroughly it's enforced, and am guessing "not very", but it never hurts to be cautious. 

I'm more worried about the boxcutter, frankly. Those things are probably pretty expensive considering how fancy ours are, and it occurs to me that I don't actually have any way to contact the store. ._.

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Can't you just take the boxcutter back tomorrow (or whenever your next workday is) and explain that you took it by accident?

The second day of my internship I accidentally walked out with the key to my supervisor's office...and it was a Thursday, so I had to wait until my next workday (Tuesday) to return it. I was scared for a while there, but she didn't seem to mind.
  • I could, but I feel like they should know.

I guess I'm just overly worried. 

Well that's good, good to hear you like it so far. You mentioning the social media policy had me a little wary because I was thinking it was one of those places that demanded access to view what you post/say. 
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    You have it on your profile page. You should probably take it off of there.
    Anonus said:

You have it on your profile page. You should probably take it off of there.

this
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Okay, just making sure you don't get fired.
    On a kind of related note, one of my friends at Camp Pen noted to me that the Navy/Marine Corps intranet finally got around to blocking access to my comic which I'm wondering if they autoblocked it because webcomic indices point to it or they actually ran across it and were all what the fuck is this
  • Speaking of Marines, one of my superiors (I have several managers, vice managers, team directors, etc to answer to) Dale, is an ex-marine. 
  • oh, interesting thing for anyone who knows me from TVTropes that is wholly unrelated to work. I found out that my stepdad's grandmother passed away recently. Her last name? Spain.

ex-marine. 

unless he used that term on himself, say "former marine"

"ex-marine" is generally considered an insult and many of them snap at people who say that even if they've never been in the military
    me, I don't really care but some are dicks about it. 
    Damn, this T-storm knocked out the entire neighborhood
  • "ex-marine" is generally considered an insult

...Why? "Ex-marine", "former marine", it's the same thing. How can "ex-marine" be an insult?

Is that a Monthy Python-like thing, in the sense that "ex-marine" is like saying that the person in question is dead?

• TUMUT CREW REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tumut
    Yo, did somebody say rats?
  • edited 2012-08-17 10:34:35
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I'm trying to get a FreePBX install going at work, and since it's not working on Debian wheezy for some reaosn (I'm getting a mysterious 500 error from the Web interface), I'm using their install CD, which is based on CentOS. 

Using CentOS is like going from Windows 7 to WINDOWS 95. I'm fucking serious. The installer is horrible and keeps getting confused; the kernel doesn't like the fact that I have an IDE CD-ROM and won't work at all unless I use USB (even SATA makes it barf since it doesn't like the motherboard—what the fuck?!); and once I did get it to continue without complaining about the motherboard, it complained about not being able to find one of its files and aborted the installation. 

I'm tempted to just replicate the setup we had at Linode and use Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Also, there's a thread on KYM where someone used a GIF of Jigglypuff socking Clefairy, and I couldn't help but start singing "THE BITCHES LOVE ME CUZ THEY KNOW THAT I CAN ROCK".

Okay, that was a Pikachu video, but still, Pokemon slapfight!
  • TUMUT CREW REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tumut
    Oh. The squirrel thingies.

They aren't as fun as regular rats.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Smugleaf said:

...Why? "Ex-marine", "former marine", it's the same thing. How can "ex-marine" be an insult?

Is that a Monthy Python-like thing, in the sense that "ex-marine" is like saying that the person in question is dead?

I think that it's one of those "in it for life" things. I supposed the only "ex-marines" are the dead and the disgraced.
    Reminds me of how my littlest brother would get all upset when my other brother would call him "ex-Fuzzy". ("Fuzzy" was his nickname when he was a baby.)
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    the morning sun has vanquished the horrible night
    acme
  • edited 2012-08-17 11:33:21
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    "I was on a first date with a girl and wasn't paying attention as I was crossing the street. A car went zooming down the road, and the girl actually had to pull me back and act like the hero. It was pretty emasculating."

Oh, heaven forfend someone try to save your life, macho man! :P
    DAMMIT WOMAN I'D RATHER BE DEAD
    *riffs*
    And now...
    lee4hmz said:

macho man! :P

I want to snap into a Slim Jim for some reason. :P
    this mug has been compromised
    PORCUPUFFER
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    BIG BERTHA
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    GOOD MORNING PERSONS
    BOSS BASS
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Jean de Fillet
    "SPLONCH" is a great sound effect
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Do we have a Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends thread? I can't remember and our search function is straight out of Windows 95. 
    I don't think we do, at least not in the General Media category.
  • CA: Yeah, the search function makes me sad.

Also, I need to motivate myself to finish putting stuff away. The mandude might be visiting me this weekend.
    Ah, thanks. I'll just post this here then:

> Terrence
    > Tara

That has to be intentional, right?

Also, it just occurred to me that all three cartoons Lauren Faust has worked on had Tara Strong in them. Hmm...
  • The sadness will last forever.
    pizza
  • Ah, thanks. I'll just post this here then:

> Terrence
    > Tara

That has to be intentional, right?

Also, it just occurred to me that all three cartoons Lauren Faust has worked on had Tara Strong in them. Hmm...
    Four. Faust also did/is doing Super Best Friends Forever which has strong as Batgirl.
    Faustian bargain