Internet Critic Discussion Thread

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    What are your thoughts on that song?
  • it's fine. I'm not a huge fan but it's Rae Sremmurd being themselves and it's good that Gucci is finally on a big hit.

I just kinda feel like I already know how Todd feels about Rae Sremmurd.
    I have noticed that a lot of people who really disliked them before have actually been fairly positive about "Black Beatles", so it's maybe not that cut and dry. I haven't heard the whole thing but I thought what I heard was pretty OK.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I will never stop appreciating Todd's unironic and deep appreciation for Kris Kross
  • He's overthinking the title.
  • Yeah.

Yeah he is.
    Odradek said:

I will never stop appreciating Todd's unironic and deep appreciation for Kris Kross

Kriss Kross have some genuinely good songs and are indirectly responsible for "Streets Is Watching (Freestyle)" which is one of the best songs on a DJ Screw tape.

He's overthinking the title.

It's like getting angry "Roll Over Beethoven" doesn't resemble Beethoven's music at all.

Yes I know ELO did a cover that sampled the 5th Symphony, I'm talking about the Chuck Berry version

• Genuinely disappointed that 21 Pilots wasn't on here
  • In I go! Time for pithy one sentence to one paragraph comments on the songs and on Todd!

Don't read this if you haven't seen the vids yet

Daya - "Sit Still, LOOK PRETTY", this is one of those songs I've heard like four times and thought each time "that was alright". Seems like a weird one to single out but :shrug: "Scars To Your Beautiful" (mentioned in the segment) is leagues worse.

Drake & Future - "Jumpman", yeah that's fair

Ruth B - "Lost Boy", I have literally never heard this before but it sounds awful. I hate plastic piano ballads and why Peter Pan?

Machine-Gun Kelly f. (I didn't see the lady's name) - "some song", what is this (also Todd this is an interpolation). Kelly has gotten thousands of times worst since he was an XXL freshman. The drums in this song are fucking horrendous.

Zay Hillfiger & Zayvion McCall - "JuJu On That Beat", I still have no idea how an okay freestyle over "Knuck If You Buck" charted.

Shawn Mendes - "Treat You Better", this is one of those songs that I find too innocuous and vapid to really hate. The weird yelp is really funny but that it's the song's only notable feature says a lot

The Chainsmokers & Daya - "Don't Let Me Down", this is actually the worst piece of music ever recorded. I actually don't understand why it exists, who could listen to it and enjoy it, and in what possible context.

Zayn - "Pillowtalk", yeah

Gnash ft. Olivia Brian - "I Hate U I Love U", this is another one I am pretty sure I have literally not heard before. Who is this man? What is this? I actually laughed aloud when Gnash started ' ' r a p p i n g ' '. This is horrendous.

Nick Jonas & Tove Lo -"Close" what is this

Charlie Puth - "eh I didn't catch the title", Puth is one of those guys that I hear people talk about how they hate him all the time but I have literally never heard a Charlie Puth song in the wild. He is the single most douchey-looking person I've ever seen though

P!nk - "Fire", NO.

Justin Bieber - "Love Yourself", I actually kinda like this one

G-Eazy & that one other lady - "Me Myself & I", eh

The X-Ambassadors - "Unsteady", I don't understand this song. It's just a disembodied chorus.

Lukas Graham - "7 Years" man, I had almost managed to forget this existed.
  • for the record this is what Machine-Gun Kelley used to sound like. He wasn't good back then either but he was alright (and had the benefit of being on one of the worst XXL Cyphers ever*)

*HopSin, Roscoe Dash, Machine-Gun Kelly, Future, Danny Brown, Kid Ink, Macklemore, Don Trip, Iggy Azalea
    Gnash sounds like a dude in my philosophy class who thinks he's smarter than he is explaining his decisions to someone who doesn't care.

Like exactly

It's not like he's really rapping it
    I just rambled about this awhile on Twitter, but it occurred to me this morning, having watched that list before I went to sleep and with it fresh in my mind, that "Don't Let Me Down" is so riddled with weird breakdowns and drops that it's structured less like a pop song or a dance jam than it is a Job for a Cowboy-style deathcore track, and I think that similarity might be intentional.
  • dae remember that contortionist track that starts with a breakdown and then like, reverses out of it
    Alas, no. I might look it up after I finish listening to... soprano bagpipe rapping nightcore.
  • born in Vienna in 89, he was obsessed with theories of language and time
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    did they seriously give that girl and her Peter Pan vine an entire song? that's incredible
    Why does it sound so sad? Did Peter Pan die of substance abuse?
    When I first heard snippets, I thought it was a metaphor implying that the narrator's real life sucked and that s/he felt trapped and wanted to live in that storybook and never grow up because growing up meant something scary to them for personal reasons. In particular, I was wondering if the weird tension between the implied gender of the narrator and the female singer had some significance. Unfortunately, the lyrics don't really seem to give much room to that implied darkness, and are just incredibly clumsy to boot, which would work if the child narrator thing were clearer but it just winds up in this grey area of lots of vague implications without even subtle payoff. It's sort of like the lyrical equivalent of how every Sam Smith tune that isn't a dance banger collab is all slow burn and no release to the point that it stops being sexy and heartaching and starts to get monotonous and irritating.

On the subject of Gnash, though: What he's doing isn't so much rapping as that post-hardcore fragile speak-singing thing that a lot of emo frontmen do during quiet, introspective sections of their songs. You hear it in everything from Slint to American Football to Ion Dissonance. The issue is threefold here: He's trying to force it into a rap flow, which can work in theory but tends to sound listless and metrically shapeless in practice; he's not a very compelling emo vocalist or rapper to begin with, with too little mic presence and minimal emotional intensity, not letting his venom or sorrow sink in because he can't deliver it effectively; and, finally, the lyrics are horribly catty and mean-spirited braggadoccio which the aforementioned lack of swagger can't carry as appropriately arrogant and the lack of real pain or self-awareness can't carry as confessional "I'm such a shitheel" gut-spilling. He seems to be aiming for both, Kanye-style, but he falls miserably short, so he winds up sounding like just another casually misogynistic teen preener.

I've heard about most of these movies, and wanted to see most of them, but have only seen two of them
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Let's see...

Kubo and the Two Strings: Heard of, and still intend to watch. Definitely aesthetically pleasing.
    Swiss Army Man: Haven't heard of, but his description sold me on watching it. Sounds like a blast.
    The Fits: Quasi-horror magical realist inspired by real events with black women in leading roles? Yeah I'm down.
    The Lobster: Quietly insane musings on romance, I'm down.
    High Rise: I still need to read the book, so...
    The Witch: On my list, in part thanks to @Odradek.
    The Love Witch: Convinced on the aesthetics alone, but I'm liking more than just that.
    La La Land: Not sure if I care.
    Arrival: Apparently it's pretty good and all the people I've talked to who like it or have seen liking it has me convinced I should watch it.
    Moonlight: Yeah I'm down.
  • Todd's best of list prediction: The Sound by The 1975 will either be #1 or on the honorable mentions with the caveat that if it had charted better, it would have been #1
  • I think I know what that is and you should know that Vimeo doesn't embed here properly
  • edited 2017-01-28 08:21:32
    Kexruct said:

Todd's best of list prediction: The Sound by The 1975 will either be #1 or on the honorable mentions with the caveat that if it had charted better, it would have been #1

Correct. Maybe it would have charted better if its parent album didn't have the worst title of the year.

Since he's putting old songs that somehow charted in 2016 on his list, I'm surprised that Empire of the Sun's "Walking On A Dream" wasn't on there.
  • the list

Coldplay - Adventure of A Lifetime
    Beyonce - Sorry
    Drake & Rihanna - Too Good
    Dnce - Cake By The Ocean
    Adele - When We Were Young
    Weeknd featuring Daft Punk - Starboy
    Mike Posner ft. SEEB - I Took A Pill In Ibiza (Remix)
    Ariana Grande - Into You
    Bruno Mars - 24K Magic
    The Chainsmokers ft. Halsey - Closer

Honorable Mentions

1 Direction - Perfect
    Fat Joe & Remy Ma featuring French Montana and InfaRed - All The Way Up!
    Sia - Cheap Thrills
    Justin Timberlake - Can't Stop The Feeling!
    The 1975 - The Sound
    OneRepublic (?!) - Kids
    Kung vs. Cookin' On 3 Burners - This Girl 
    The Chainsmokers ft. Roses - Roses

I'm really surprised that "Closer" won but a pretty solid list over all

also someone congratulate Kex
    So that's noted joke thief The Fat Jew in the Cake By The Ocean video, huh
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    regarding the #1:

Not sure about the top pick but the two runners up are pretty great.
  • I actually really like "Closer" so I'm okay with it winning

surprised it won out over "24k Magic" though.
    If Bruno Mars ever pastiches a New Jack Swing song, it's going on the best of list for sure
  • I mean if Todd's theory is correct, that should be the next album right?

New Jack Swing can make a comeback. I like it.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    i'm totally hype for that if it does happen
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

The fake Pokemon names on these cards are hilarious
    It's going to be weird if Lindsay shows up in either Kyle or Todd's videos from now on
  • edited 2017-02-10 15:08:26
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Todd and Lindsay broke up a while ago, if it's any consolation.

I think they still live together, though.
    Also cameos stopped being such a thing after Channel Awesome started breaking up
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Say what you will about Todd, but his ACLU donation drive was pretty inspiring, and puts him above Lindsay and the like.
    Lindsay probably raised money too

She's probably an alright person who had a moment of shittyness
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    True, true.

I think this stung for me more because I had already been falling out of love with her for some time before that, so this was just sorta a final confirmation for me.
    Yah

Funnily enough my post was about that too

And right above it was a post that was much smugger and more insulting to her, which she decided to ignore
  • edited 2017-02-10 15:21:56
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Odradek said:

Also cameos stopped being such a thing after Channel Awesome started breaking up

I seem to remember hearing that at least some of the cameos were forced by Rob or Michaud. I wonder how true that is.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Odradek said:

Yah

Funnily enough my post was about that too

And right above it was a post that was much smugger and more insulting to her, which she decided to ignore
    Wait, which post?
  • edited 2017-02-10 20:22:28
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Aah I did not see that, since I didn't read anything before the linked posts. Noted.
    I think it's easier to brush off smug maundering about "anti-critical fait accompli" than it is to confront the fact that you fucked up in a small but glaring fashion because the former is essentially empty flame bait but the latter can make you feel really small and stupid and worthless. That's obviously not your fault, and I'm sure she was just having a bad night all around and that was just the cherry on top, but I get why *that* would be it.

Anyway:

Dan-O hittin' it out of the park, yo.

This was good until it defended Le Film Artistique Russo Brothers Capitaine Amérique which is utterly inexcusable under any circumstancces
    And using box office returns as a metric of quality, which is doubly inexcusable