Internet Critic Discussion Thread

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    "Mexican Radio", or: the song Central Avenue barely remembered hearing at 2 AM on the radio when she was 7
  • Hell, I like Oasis. A lot, actually.
  • They're not a bad band they're just, I dunno

even for someone like me who might be described as a bit musically conservative there's something really weird to me about how Oasis is just essentially "The Beatles but less so" and people seem....fine with that.

I don't think they're awful or even below average, I just don't dig what I might call the conceit.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

They're not a bad band they're just, I dunno

even for someone like me who might be described as a bit musically conservative there's something really weird to me about how Oasis is just essentially "The Beatles but less so" and people seem....fine with that.

I don't think they're awful or even below average, I just don't dig what I might call the conceit.

This is the worst video Todd has ever made 

The guy at 5:23 is worse than many war criminals
  • But we can agree they're better than Blur and Pulp is better than both?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Not really? What I've heard of Blur is either on par with or a bit better than Oasis, and I haven't heard enough of Pulp's work to form an opinion despite having a decent amount of respect for Jarvis Cocker.
    COME BACK WHEN YOU LIVE IN A REAL CITY DUDE
  • edited 2016-10-05 00:00:52

Not really? What I've heard of Blur is either on par with or a bit better than Oasis, and I haven't heard enough of Pulp's work to form an opinion despite having a decent amount of respect for Jarvis Cocker.

You're right, we can't, but I've spent so much time trolling on the Internet that I am unable to frame my personal opinions as anything other than universal truth. "Can we all agree" is an easy 3x multiplier to replies.
    Ehhhhh, sometimes?

• idk if this counts as criticism in any real way but if you haven't watched Nick "RockLeeSmile" Reineke play through fantastically shitty Silent Hill fangame Alchemilla, you really should. It's a slow nosedive into madness.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Aw man I really need to finish that sometime.
  • edited 2016-10-05 01:51:00

fantastic
    While I can tell it's a Unity game, you gotta give the devs credit for using their own terrain and skybox.

inb4 it's actually Unreal
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I gave up on mocking Unity once I found out Cities: Skylines is a Unity game
  • How does it compare to the recent SimCities (4 and the "reboot")?
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Take this with a grain of salt as I've mostly read a lot of reviews and watched a fair amount of LPs, but it's a pretty solid if imperfect entry in the genre that brings a lot to the table, and comes across as a more refined return to form.
    It's a lot like SimCity 4 if you updated it with 3D graphics instead of the fixed isometric camera angles

Gameplay-wise it feels a lot less clunky and limited than what little I played of the 2013 SimCity

idk if this counts as criticism in any real way but if you haven't watched Nick "RockLeeSmile" Reineke play through fantastically shitty Silent Hill fangame Alchemilla, you really should. It's a slow nosedive into madness.
    This is great, I'm on part 4 already

My only complaint is that he doesn't actually try and solve any of the puzzles himself
  • He was drunk tho, so it's kinda understandable.

I think he does try later and it leads to shenanigans.
    I'm watching further and yeah he does eventually try solving the puzzles

And of course the puzzles themselves grow increasingly nonsensical
  • the last like three videos are so fucking good
    Holy shit the morgue doors puzzles were probably some of the least fair things I've seen in a game of this type

Especially since they're trying to use the same area for two puzzles at once
    Just did

Oh my god his gasp of relief at the end is priceless

The gimmick is what you think it is but he at least keeps it entertaining

I lost it at "It's on the internet! That means it must be real!"
    I don't think TITS is aware that fedoralords generally aren't the type to ever be Shawn Mendes fans
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I haven't watched the video yet, but he's conflating dudebros with fedoralords, isn't he?

That seems to be a common mistake on the Internet.
  • Watching the Critic's Top 11 Gravity Falls Episodes.

I haven't finished watching it, but Northwest Mystery Manor is only #9, so I'm already kind of turned off.
    Delirium said:

I haven't watched the video yet, but he's conflating dudebros with fedoralords, isn't he?

No, actually, the song is really Nice Guy-ish
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    CarnEvil said:

Delirium said:

... Yeah, it is.
  • edited 2016-10-20 18:16:13
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    That said, it does feel like Todd is doing a “I didn’t know anyone who voted for Nixon" routine in this video.
    Delirium said:

CarnEvil said:

Delirium said:

... Yeah, it is.
    Incidentally, this is the song I made that exact complaint about some months ago.
  • Delirium said:

That said, it does feel like Todd is doing a “I didn’t know anyone who voted for Nixon" routine in this video.

????
  • edited 2016-10-20 18:43:11
    We can do anything if we do it together.

Delirium said:

????
    He seemed to assume that, because the "nice guy" archetype is so mocked in his circles, it's become a laughing stock everywhere, when that's simply not true.
  • Delirium said:

I mean, they're both pretty arbitrary archetypes, so I don't really think there's all that much of mistake to make

• it's a set of behaviors given a pejoarative label to make hating people easier. Like "SJW".
  • Hot take: ProJared is kind of annoying
  • ive... watched something by him?
  • edited 2016-10-21 14:24:23
    CarnEvil said:

youtube.com/watch?v=gHOGstXeOhI

If nobody acts like a "nice guy" anymore because we've been making fun of them for years, then, well, we've been making fun of them for years. The video's humor comes from an overdone concept, so it's not funny.
  • So I am watching the Todd vid

it's telling that I didn't actually know that the three songs mentioned in this video were by the same person.

Also the way the camera zooms in on him when he says "such a nice guy" is great.
    I need to see that movie first
    Hilariously, the only non up-on-movies person I've heard talk about it was some weird fascist conspiracy theorist rambling about how it was french nihilism
    Todd is such a grumplestiltskin
  • oh "One Tin Soldier" is apparently one of those songs that makes me cry and I'm supposed to be embarrassed about it
    I'm with you, I think. It's a saddening song. I mean, I agree with Todd that certain images are more striking than others and the bitter sarcasm of the choruses is arguably the best part, but for all its anvil-dropping, I think I actually like this one?

Also, discussing this episode is now giving me serious déjà-vu. Like he's covered this before and we already talked about it.