Internet Critic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Curious if anyone watches LittleKuriboh's "Mark Remark", Spoony's "Wrestle Wrestle", or "OSW Review".
  • Odradek said:

I'm still kind of amazed how few people realize (or maybe people just don't care) that "Work" is in creole and Riri is not just mumbling.

Anyway I dunno. I also think that both of these songs are Fine. 

I was hoping he would make a bigger deal about the fact that Sean Paul is back on top of the pop charts, because that is surreal.
  • also I want one of Sia's two-color wigs. I wonder how expensive they are.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Okay so obviously I'm a straight dude, but other guys really think Kratos is the kind of character straight/bi women and gay/bi men find attractive? Really? Really?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Speaking as a queer dude: Muscle worship and bara definitely put a lot of emphasis on that body type, but at least in the first game, the full package is pretty much entirely a heterosexual male power fantasy embodied, and a very specific flavour of it as well. The design in the game's sequel, though—incidentally where the character shows some depth and pathos—is decidedly sexier, but that's more because he looks and acts like an actual human with feelings, which is intrinsically sexy no matter who you're asking for the most part.

(Although terrifying killing machines can be hot. I'd just rather they looked like Neferpitou or Asuramaru... >///>)
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I remember "She-Bop" being pretty controversial for its subject matter back in 1984, but "I Touch Myself"? Not an eye batted. Q-94 (which did things like, say, editing the "Sex" out of "I Want Your Sex") ran it completely uncut.
    Two new Folding Ideas vids in less than a week. Apparently Dan is back in business.
  • One of those is just a repost from another site unfortunately
    That was not an angle I had previously considered but it brings together two aspects that I did rather interestingly.
  • Mm, I've never been a huge fan of the "completionism is bad" angle of Undertale

Most of that particular angle is contained in the Genocide route which is a really odd way of going about it. It becomes this weird thing where a game is criticizing the notion of wanting to get a complete thematic appraisal of it, and I don't know how well that applies to the idea of "not wanting to let something go." Plus, the theme of "don't get yourself too involved in a game" just strikes me as... rather trivial?  As an element of a larger point about the value of letting things go it's functional, I guess. 

I don't know if that's necessarily a problem with the game itself though; it's really more an issue I have with the way the game is interpreted.

Like, if it really is a game about how you shouldn't bother 100%ing a game and how that kind of thing is detrimental to growth as a person, it's weird because the bulk of that message is contained within the confines of something treated mechanically as a legitimate playstyle. 

But in my mind, the point of "let this particular media go" moralizing is to convey that past a certain point, you won't be able to get more content out of something, and it's better to look inward and understand what the work meant to you as opposed to what it can give to you. (I think ME3's original ending was a pretty beautiful example of that, actually.) But the Genocide route does provide additional thematic context to the work as a whole, and in doing so, undercuts that supposed message. 

And again, I don't know if that's the fault of the game itself! But it's certainly an aspect of discourse that I disagree with because I don't think it's supported by the text.
  • I sorta psyched myself out as I was writing that and it was left rather confusing as a result. This may seem obnoxious but I'm gonna put some retroactive emphasis on the part of it that I think most sums up my thoughts:

Kexruct said:

But in my mind, the point of "let this particular media go" moralizing is to convey that past a certain point, you won't be able to get more content out of something, and it's better to look inward and understand what the work meant to you as opposed to what it can give to you. (I think ME3's original ending was a pretty beautiful example of that, actually.) But the Genocide route does provide additional thematic context to the work as a whole, and in doing so, undercuts that supposed message. 

Kexruct said:

I sorta psyched myself out as I was writing that and it was left rather confusing as a result. This may seem obnoxious but I'm gonna put some retroactive emphasis on the part of it that I think most sums up my thoughts:

Kexruct said:

And that's the point: You'll eventually run out, and trying to glean more from the story by going against the spirit of the game that made you feel so strongly about it in the first place is the wrong way to go about getting more, rather than, say, writing fanfiction or video essays or something.

^ I saw that but forgot to post it. Good vid.
  • I don't think you understand what I said.

My point is that having the genocide route be its own experience with genuine thematic weight undercuts the point about the hollowness of 100%ing a game.
    Not really, given its mechanics and ultimate narrative purpose. Setting aside the fact that it's a wry tribute to all those goofy "cursed game cartridge" creepastas, the fact that there is an option but it requires rejecting the entire spirit that the game was created in has its own weight. Maybe you wouldn't have done it that way, but it doesn't defeat the point.

• New Every Frame a Painting.
  • edited 2016-09-13 04:54:54
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Reading the description, I must admit that is a fair criticism of the MCU, and an actually novel way of looking at it.

I'll watch the video later.
  • Reading the description, I must admit that is a fair criticism of the MCU, and an actually novel way of looking at it.

I'll be interested in what you think of it. It was pretty insightful for me when they brought up Temp music, because I didn't really know that was a thing, but it being a thing makes perfect sense in hindsight.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Nier has a thing where the very last ending you can get (after playing the second half of the game a bunch of times, revisiting old places with new perspective), where you can choose for the protagonist to give up their entire existence to save the life of one of the supporting cast. And that means the game erasing your save file in a very visual way. Your skills, your items, your weapons; everything in the menu, gone.

It's kind of saying; "Okay, we've been through this a dozen times, this is the last thing you can do. Good bye, don't come back."
    New Brows Held High on Trnka's Midsummer Night's Dream. It's sad.
  • edited 2016-09-19 21:50:07
    Why this? Why now? I'm Going to Tell You a Secret packages a
    live album from Madonna's 2004 Re-Invention Tour along with a DVD
    documentary directed by Jonas Akerlund and originally aired on MTV and
    VH1 last year (what, Madonna no longer commands a big-screen release?).
    Both discs are riddled with songs from her woebegone 2003 album, American Life,
    which was such a profound flop that her follow-up was labeled a
    comeback by simple virtue of its not sucking. The generally fabulous Confessions on a Dance Floor, despite its flaws,
    worked overtime to undo the damage perpetrated upon Madonna's career by American Life,
    and it proved she could still do stellar dance music and be, you know,
    fun. So why remind fans of something you've worked so hard to make them
    forget?

Maybe Madonna wants the last laugh at critics who panned her most
    "personal", "substantial", "topical", "political", and "ambitious" album
    to date. After all, Re-Invention was one of the highest-grossing tours
    of 2004. That makes it successful, but it doesn't necessarily make it
    any good, as the live disc-- Madonna's first ever-- handily proves. The
    show starts with Madonna reading from scripture, specifically the Book
    of Revelations, in a spaced-out but serious voice. The track is called
    "The Beast Within", and it's not exactly a welcoming start to a pop
    show. Describing a "beast with ten horns and seven heads," she intones:
    "And the whole earth followed the beast with wonder/And they worshipped
    the beast saying who is like the beast and who can fight against the
    beast/It opened its mouth and uttered blasphemous words against God."

As if the song itself weren't enough, "The Beast Within" segues
    smoothly into... wait for it... "Vogue". That progression, from
    revelation to rump-shaking, from religious doom to secular dance, is
    hilarious and utterly absurd. I'm Going to Tell You a Secret
    gains almost all of its entertainment value from such kitschy extremes
    and bizarre juxtapositions. The full minute of gunfire and explosions
    that kicks off "American Life" is the pinnacle of the show's oblivious
    excess, and that song's pro-Madonna metal-rap is the album's most
    ridiculous moment. But then there's her cover of "Imagine", written by a
    celebrity as out of touch with real life as Madonna herself. She even
    prefaces it with the solemn request, "Please listen carefully to the
    words of this next song. We need to make the world a better place."

I'm Going to Tell You a Secret is all the funnier for the
    seriousness with which Madonna attacks such moments, which gives the
    proceedings a camp quality. Not good camp, like Liza with a Z, but good-bad camp, like The Apple.
    The show would be better if the songs were better, obviously.
    She highlights too many of the bad tracks off American Life, but even when she does dip into her impressive back catalog, the results are less than stellar. "Vogue" is the same version we've been
    hearing for sixteen years, and despite her introduction that "this is a
    no-sitting-down song", her tepid version of "Like a Prayer" doesn't give
    us any reason to stand up. It's the final set (well, most of it anyway)
    that reveals what the show might have been. Not only does she have some
    amazing songs in her canon ("Holiday", "Into the Groove", "Music"), she
    possesses the talent, power, and money to make them exciting and fun.

The documentary fills in some of the head-scratching moments from
    the album: Madonna does a simple backbend during "The Beast Within",
    pathetic in her earnest but mistaken conviction that it is both
    erotically suggestive and gymnastically impressive; her dancers, dressed
    in fatigues, buck wildly to the explosions that begin "American Life";
    and while the bagpipes play, she and her posse sport a kind of hip-hop
    kilt that's one of the most unsexy articles of clothing ever designed.
    But the film is more noteworthy for the access director Akerlund has to
    the "real" Madonna. His camera follows her to dancer auditions, to her
    dressing room, to her hotel room, to her romps with her children (Rocco,
    by the way, steals every scene he's in, hilariously deflating the
    pretensions of everyone around him).

While her show is empty spectacle-- which would be perfectly fine if
    she weren't so obviously desperate to say something substantial-- her
    life as portrayed in this documentary is cloistered and withdrawn,
    marked by hours of quiet Kabbalah study but very little self-reflection.
    Whether intentionally or not, Akerlund reveals Madonna's supreme lack
    of self-awareness, from her embarrassing attempts at poetry (it'd be
    cruel to quote her verse here) to the condescending tone she takes with
    her dancers to her incredibly irresponsible visit to Rachel's Tomb
    despite the warnings of her host country and her security team.

But the real surprise on both the album and the documentary is that
    Madonna doesn't seem to be enjoying herself at all. "I had some fun back then,"
    she remarks to Akerlund's camera, referring to her wild days as a Material Girl
    and Sex goddess, "but you know, fun's overrated." No, it isn't-- Confessions taught us that much.
    On I'm Going to Tell You a Secret, Madonna is deadly serious about "waking people up."
    The secret she's going to tell us is the secret of life, the key to world peace and
    personal fulfillment. She'd pompously have us believe she's got it all
    figured out. Worse, clouded by her unwavering sense of mission, Madonna
    completely misses the fact that her songs have become a shared language
    among people who have very little common ground. Her music has been
    changing the world for more than two decades now, but sadly she seems
    unaware of this, her one true "secret" to pop cultural unity.

• We can do anything if we do it together.

Reading the description, I must admit that is a fair criticism of the MCU, and an actually novel way of looking at it.

I'll be interested in what you think of it. It was pretty insightful for me when they brought up Temp music, because I didn't really know that was a thing, but it being a thing makes perfect sense in hindsight.
    I've finally watched it, and I fully agree with it.

It's funny how, with the exception of the 300 music, the replaced music always sounds like a pale imitation of the original music.

• Do Trump, Lindsay. You know you want to.
    the devil said:

what a square

Same
    :O

I can't wait to watch this one when I get home.
    Now that I've actually watched it...
    CarnEvil said:

the devil said:

what a square

Same
    likewise
  • I think myself and El-P are the only two people on the planet who really like "Mexican Radio".
    I think it's pretty neat.
    I like it and I had never heard it before this review
  • Really? Wall of Voodoo are one of my favorite new wave bands, I used to talk about them constantly.
    I love it, and did before the review.

On the note of American New Wave bands, I am pretty flabbergasted that Todd forgot about Oingo Boingo.
    Todd seemed to be a little too fixated on deriving literal meaning from the lyrics and also I kinda felt like he was reading smugness into the band
  • edited 2016-10-02 01:50:12
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^^ I remember.

I also remember you being into Bomis Prendin way back, and knowing about WFMU, making you a rare specimen in most of my circles of friends.
  • ^^^ I remember.

I also remember you being into Bomis Prendin way back, and knowing about WFMU, making you a rare specimen in most of my circles of friends.

"NY Nightmare" is probably the most avant garde thing in any medium that I like.

related band Wm. Burke's The Hideous Truth is a bit too much for me tho.
    CarnEvil said:

Todd seemed to be a little too fixated on deriving literal meaning from the lyrics and also I kinda felt like he was reading smugness into the band

he seems to do that a lot and I kinda don't get it if it's just part of his "le frustrated pop man" shtick or if he actually just doesn't understand non-literalism.
  • BP is also one of the few semi-notable bands I have spoken to members of. Granted it was a brief conversation and it was years ago, but yeah.
  • edited 2016-10-02 01:53:05
    We can do anything if we do it together.

CarnEvil said:

he seems to do that a lot and I kinda don't get it if it's just part of his "le frustrated pop man" shtick or if he actually just doesn't understand non-literalism.
    I kinda suspect it’s actually largely the latter, looking from his Twitter feed.
  • idk his twitter is mostly about his fucking adorable dogs
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I think that's a part of the shtick, which doesn't work as well when it's a convenient way of obfuscating his views or leaning on ironic humor, as opposed to his direct commentary is actually just fine for what he tries to do.
    Delirium said:

CarnEvil said:

I kinda suspect it’s actually largely the latter, looking from his Twitter feed.
    I do remember him saying once that the lyrics of "Wonderwall" mean nothing but it doesn't matter at all in regards to the song's quality.
  • For some reason Todd liking Oasis doesn't surprise me even a little bit.
    Oasis's first two albums are fine.
    I mean he also likes Kris Kros
  • it's spelled Kriss Kross you philistine