Internet Critic Discussion Thread

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    You don't need to Cinema Sins a song
  • Also the plot actually makes perfect sense to me so idk.

But w/e I don't watch Todd for Good Opinions I watch him to find new music and also because he is le funny flailing arms pop song man

Also the plot actually makes perfect sense to me so idk.

But w/e I don't watch Todd for Good Opinions I watch him to find new music and also because he is le funny flailing arms pop song man
    It's like the way he talks about movies is invading the way he talks about songs
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

Also the plot actually makes perfect sense to me so idk.

Same. It's a bit of an on-the-nose metaphor but it's a children's song, sort of, so it works.
  • edited 2016-10-30 17:15:45
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I will say that I want to watch the Billy Jack films someday.
  • same

also Witchcraft Destroys Minds & Reaps Souls is indeed a p cool album, albeit not nearly as heavy as Black Sabbath
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I have to listen to that album soonish.

I also have to say that I honestly prefer the original version of this song.
  • alright so am I out of my mind

or does "Closer" sound an awful lot like....MC Monty's verse on "679" by Fetty Wap

• I'm far from the first person to have this thought apparently

It's one of those weirdly elemental hooks that could easily have been stumbled upon independently by five different people in the same time frame. Which doesn't preclude the possibility of direct imitation, of course, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were merely an amusing coincidence.
  • Likewise, but The Chainsmokers are also known douchebags, so it wouldn't shock me if they stole it either.
    Fair enough.

I have serious mixed feelings about the song. As Todd and Mark Grondin have pointed out, the framing is weird and it's hard to tell to what degree the assholery is meant to be off-putting, and the voices here are... well, yeah, but the obsessive stream-of-consciousness detail is way more interesting than one tends to expect from this sort of pop song, and the song architecture is simple but effective.
    I agree but still don't like that the Chainsmokers are someone we're supposed to take seriously
    I dunno, maybe it's my exposure to really freaky music and bizarre stylistic about-faces effecting cultural brain damage over here, but an electronic act best known for a lousy novelty single turning into a viable if bland pop act with serious chart clout, while surprising, isn't all that bad to me. I mean, I would much rather be forced to acknowledge that The Chainsmokers are capable of writing actual hits than pretend that Chris Brown deserves my respect or recognition.
  • They're both pretty terrible people and honestly I think Chris Brown is the better musician. Not that that's saying a ton.

Well I guess The Chainsmokers are two terrible people but, yeah.
    "Sleazy and asinine comments plus possible plagiarism" does not hold a candle to "vicious domestic abuse and rampant sociopathy."
  • Yeah, the Chainsmokers haven't given me any real reason to hate them the way I do Chris Brown.

Perhaps it's easier to separate artist and art in their case because they (usually) leave the spotlight for other artists (Rozes, Halsey, Phoebe Ryan, Waterbed, etc.), but still. I look at them and think "wow, they kinda seem like jerks," but I look at Chris Brown and I actively want to see his career go down the drain despite knowing it won't happen anytime soon.
  • TreTre
    edited 2016-11-18 00:20:42
    (also I actually genuinely like their music, enough that I legally own "Roses"; Chris can be pleasant to listen to but his lyrics often perpetuate the worst kind of chauvinism and I can't get into it)
  • edited 2016-11-18 00:23:18
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Which is why I kind of feel uncomfortable with that kind of direct comparison. Two entitled douchenozzles who say catty things about other (often more talented) musicians and make creepy dick jokes are certainly highly unpleasant, but beating the crap out of a woman and consistently showing zero remorse for that and any number of violent, mean-spirited and offensive actions and statements in the wake of that is fucking horrifying. This man should not be allowed a career in show business, or really any career that involves regular human contact.

^ His misogyny permeates his work in a really gross way. Even if I weren't aware of his behaviour, it's just so... eugh.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I can't say I'm fond of... really, anything that I've heard from them (which is slim as is), but did find Todd's begrudging respect somewhat mirroring my own confused contentment with it. This is one of those common cases with me where I could theoretically like the final product, but too many of the components don't work with me; from that seemingly omnipresent style of EDM that I struggle to articulate but seems like something you'd find at a mosh, to all of their individual vocals, to just not liking The Chainsmokers as people much (although I find myself separating them from this track here since it's not filled with particularly noxious or virtuous ideas a la "Blurred Lines"), nothing individually resonates. But it's trying for something, and although it comes across as not all there to me, I like that it is at least them seemingly trying, no less when contrasted with other songs of this ilk.

Man I feel so awkward when I try and talk music, because I'm like, so bad at it, but whatever.
    Blocked in the USA :(
    This song is fine
    I think Todd was pretty fair there.
    Yeah this is a solid episode.
  • edited 2016-11-25 14:59:40
    You know, I don't think anyone posted this.

Quite liked this video. Went a long way to explaining some of my own thoughts on game design, particularly my thoughts on difficulty.

Kind of understates the importance of accessibility for less skilled/disabled players, though. 
    I watched that and it is good, though there's a little too much "if you play this the wrong way you cannot have fun"
    But still, good video
    I'm looking forward to the new format, assuming he was serious about that.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    That episode led me to look up the Wittenoom asbestos mine referenced in "Blue Sky Mine"

That shit is terrifying and kept me up till 5 AM

The context of "Beds Are Burning" is also pretty fucked up, but not as viscerally scary to me, which I feel bad about
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I haven't watched that video, but

*hugs*
  • edited 2016-12-03 01:13:07
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I should mention that the video itself is quite good, and I'm going to watch it a second time

If anything, Midnight Oil seem like genuinely good people
    Honestly it's kinda clear to me that Todd's heart hasn't been in the pop song reviews for a while and One Hit Wonderland is his real baby now
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I think part of it is that he seems somewhat out of his element with most recent pop music
  • Well yeah, I mean it's obvious, to me anyway, that someone who's really focused on traditional musicianship and songwriting like Todd doesn't really understand a lot of the recent trends in pop.

shrug
  • Hopefully someone makes Todd do M.I.A - Paper Planes so he's forced to spend the epsiode explaining Sri Lankan politics.
  • edited 2016-12-06 01:44:11
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    And The Clash's "Straight to Hell".

Not as its own episode, obviously, but explaining the provenance of the key sample in "Paper Planes" is actually kind of important given what M.I.A. is going for.

Hopefully someone makes Todd do M.I.A - Paper Planes so he's forced to spend the epsiode explaining Sri Lankan politics.

He's done with Patreon requests for the time being. You're going to have to make sure you get him with that next time. :P
    You could always ask him if he's planning on doing it anyway.
  • edited 2016-12-13 07:11:42

You could always ask him if he's planning on doing it anyway.

No, I have a better idea.

I would pay $100 if it meant that Todd had to review Wonder fucking Wall. It's technically Oasis' only Top 40 hit. It's a WGWAG.

It is genuinely honestly weird to me that people who think Judeo-Bolshevism Cultural Bolshevism Cultural Marxism is a thing hadn't been shaken off of Kyle's Patreon long ago
  • Hotdiggetydemon (the genius/a-hole behind the Pony.mov series) did an in-depth and...fairly tasteful analysis of why the new PPG cartoon doesn't work.

There's, like, two jokes in there that bugged me in there, so...fair warning, i guess.