PTA OOC

Comments

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    You'd be correct
  • my ride has still not arrived. So I made a quick post.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Unless a Pokemon has the lowest loyalty possible, you guys can control their actions. I may occasionally hijack the Pokemon to give you hints as to their loyalty level though
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Wait, were we supposed to pick our starter's nature? I thought we couldn't do that.

I'm guessing that's what the "different temperaments" thing was hinting at.
  • edited 2012-01-28 16:24:00
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Yep, you can choose their nature, gender, and stat distribution

Not base stats though

Wait, does the trainer manual have that?
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Oh, really? Cool. I'm guessing this is Level 5, as usual.
  • edited 2012-01-28 16:37:44
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Yep, level 5

How did I typo that?
    All right. Cammy's character sheet is ready.

Also, I made her ability Overgrow, since I'm guessing we're starting out with the normal abilities before we add any of the alternate/Dream World ones later on.
  • edited 2012-01-28 17:44:16
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    If it says High Ability, then that can't be added until later

Otherwise feel free to choose it (although I think Bulbasaur's only non high ability is overgrow)

Edit: Sorry, but you can't use that layout for stats. Stats cannot equal the same, so when a Pokemon levels up, points have to be added to make them unequal

You'll need to take one from Special Attack and add it to either HP, Attack, or Speed
  • edited 2012-01-28 18:39:31
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by that, but I reallocated that point to HP. The picture has changed as such.

Also, sorry about my absence. I was making dinner.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    It's ok

And you were pumping up Special Attack more when stats were still tied. As far as I can tell, until all stat ties are broken you have to put in points to break them (and never create a tie either)

For example, take a Pokemon with the following:

You can give it 5 points. So first point can't go in defense or special defense because four stats are tied

So let's say you go with this:

Now you can't put a point in 3 as there are ties still. Putting it in 5 creates a tie, and so does putting it in 6. So the next point has to go in 7

Then 6

Then let's say speed

Then Special Defense again

After a few more levels, everything works out
    Okay then. I thought you could have ties if the stats were on the same level in the stat hierarchy, but I can go with this. Cammy's Special Attack seemed a little overpowered anyway.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Well we can't do much else until Globe gets on. Even if you skipped the plot and went to the gym, with the way Pokemon battles are handled in the wild, you'd die in the wild without backup
  • edited 2012-01-28 21:00:46
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Yeah, I know about the group ambush thing. It really is designed for more than one player.

It seems like Superglobe should be back from that spaghetti dinner event shortly, though, provided we're in the same time zone.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Yeah
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    So if Globe doesn't get on in an hour or two, another session tomorrow?
  • Oh, shit you have to make a character sheet for the Pokemon too?

Uh. I actually thought you would do that, being the GM.

Ohkay, well what do I need to put down? And where do I find move lists and stat values and stuff?

Did you get the PDFs of the rulebooks? They're in the "Pokedex" one. You'll also need the Player's Handbook for natures, since they work a little differently than they do in the games.
  • I got the PDF of the Player's Handbook, I didn't know there *was* another one.

Gahh, I hate PDFs, they slow my computer down.

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    The premade sheet tells you what you need to put down

Litwick's base stats are

5 HP
    3 Attack
    6 Defense
    7 Sp Attack
    6 Sp Defense
    2 Speed

Choose a nature and modify the stats as needed (remember that the nature of the Pokemon also affects how you roleplay with it, and how you treat it may make it more or less loyal depending on said nature)

You'll have 5 points as it is at level 5. The rules for distribution have already been covered
  • uhh.

I don't even know the natures.

I AM FREAKING OUT BECAUSE I AM NOT PREPARED FOR THINGS

also Violet and The Other Dude need to bump into each other soonish.

• edited 2012-01-28 22:45:57
    I can help you with the nature. Since you get to pick for your starter, is there a particular stat you want to raise or don't mind lowering?
  • Sp. Attack (as it's Litwick's most important) and/or Speed.

But given that nature effects how you interact with the Pokemon, I don't want one that would make it annoying to RP either. I want a friendly pokemon, you know?

• edited 2012-01-28 22:49:08
    You're in luck there. Special Attack boosts tend to be some of the friendlier natures. I'd recommend Modest, which is +2 Special Attack and -2 Attack. Since I don't think Litwick learns many physical moves, it shouldn't be a problem.
  • I think it can hypothetically learn a couple.

We'll give him a modest nature, then. So that makes Sebastian's stats:

5 HP
    1 Attack
    6 Defense
    9 Sp Attack
    6 Sp Defense
    2 Speed

before modification, correct?

• edited 2012-01-28 22:53:59
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Here, I have a partially filled out text version of the sheet for you

Sebastian (/ HP)
    Level 5
    XP 
    Litwick (Sex)
    Ghost Fire
    Modest (+2 Sp Atk -2 Atk)
    Breeding Groups

HP: 5
    Atk: 1
    Def: 6
    SpA: 9
    SpD: 6
    Speed: 2

Evasion:
    Atk: 
    SpA: 
    Both: 

Attacks:

Overland: 
    Surface: 
    Underwater: 
    Sky: 
    Burrow: 
    Jump: 
    Power: 
    Intelligence: 
    Yep, I think so. Also, ties between stats aren't allowed in this campaign, so keep that in mind when you're putting in your points.
  • awesomesauce.

Some of this I don't know how to figure out (Jump, Power, Overland and Intelligence? I assume the rest relates to HM moves.)

Sebastian (/ HP)
    Level 5
    XP : 0
    Litwick (Male)
    Ghost/Fire
    Nature (+2 -2 )
    Breeding Groups

5 HP
    1 Attack
    6 Defense
    9 Sp Attack
    6 Sp Defense
    2 Speed

Evasion:
    Atk:  3
    SpA:  7
    Both:

Attacks:

Astonish

Ember

Minimize

Smog
    Overland: 1
    Surface: n/a
    Underwater: n/a
    Sky: 6
    Burrow: n/a
    Jump: 1
    Power: 1
    Intelligence: 4
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    That's not how the evasion stats work exactly

I have been on my phone this whole time so I'm getting info as fast as possible

The capabilities decide things such as if the Pokemon can act on its own, how fast it moves (speed is for turn order), and stuff like that
    Litwick's Capability stats:

Overland: 1
    Surface: n/a
    Underwater: n/a
    Sky: 6
    Burrow: n/a
    Jump: 1
    Power: 1
    Intelligence: 4

Overland, Surface, Underwater, and Sky are the number of spaces your Pokémon can move in a turn on the ground, while swimming/surfing, while diving, and in the air, respectively. Litwick spend most of their time levitating, so the Sky stat is probably the one you'll be using most.
  • okay. Edited the post.

Now, are move lists for each Pokemon in the player handbook, or do I have to download the Pokedex PDF from 1d4chan?

• edited 2012-01-28 23:06:51
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Ninja'd
    The move descriptions are in the Player's Handbook, but sadly, the move lists are in the Pokédex. Litwick knows Astonish, Ember, Minimize, and Smog at level 5.
  • oh.

Cool. I take it they don't match those in the game, cuz that's not what I recall them being for my Litwick.

Which is cool. I'll add those in.

I think part of it is that Litwick don't come at level 5 in the games unless you breed them. You'd need Bulbapedia to figure it out otherwise.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Oh, choose from Haunt, Blaze, Flame Body, and... Crap can't recall the other one...
    Flash Fire. This makes you immune to Fire-type moves (and powers up your own Fire moves in the process) and Freezing.

Flame Body gives you a random chance of giving a Burn to an enemy that makes contact with your Litwick. Whichever sound better to you, go for it.
  • edited 2012-01-28 23:40:38
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Litwick also has the glow, firestarter, heater, shrink, sinker, phase, and I think one other capability

Glow means it produces light, Phase lets it go through solid object (with very tight rules if I recall), heater means it produces heat, shrink lets it reduce its size, firestarter... obvious, and sinker means do not let it go in water as it can't swim at all and will plummet like a rock

It has all these at once
  • edited 2012-01-28 23:44:27
    The last one's Invisibility, which does exactly what the name suggests. If you use that in battle, your Litwick can't use any moves, but he'll have higher evasion.
  • I will add those, then. 

Why does it have shrink? It's a fucking candle.

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ Minimize autogives it. Since it gets it as a starting move, I guess that's why?
    I guess because it melts itself? I don't know either.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    I make characters frown too often
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    I'll try to keep going as long as possible, but if I suddenly stop replying for the night, assume I have either collapsed from exhaustion or else have died
  • edited 2012-01-29 01:18:52
    Is it just me, or am I writing too much for this? I think I might have the most posts in the IC thread, and they tend to have a lot of detail to them. I feel like I'm hogging the spotlight a bit. Sorry about that.

^I think I have a little less than an hour left in me, actually.
  • Yeah I feel a bit lost right now, really.

I suppose it works okay, though. As Violet's supposed to be an introvert, and wouldn't say much. Plus, she is deeply uncomfortable right now, since she doesn't really know Ryan, so that's doubly true.

• edited 2012-01-29 01:20:40
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ I can hold out that long then

And I don't mind my posts being crowded out currently. Not sure how Globey feels, though

Edit: I've been Shedinja'd!
    ^^Oh, okay. Sorry about that. I'll keep that in mind for our next session and try to hang back a bit more.
  • s'alright.

I'm not great with "sessions", by the way. I tend to drift in and out, so um I may post later on too, if I can find something for Violet to say/do that requries no immediate interaction.