PTA OOC

edited 2012-01-22 22:55:02 in Roleplay & Games
So, get to posting your characters here (I'd suggest doing it in a file off the site that you can easily edit, or on something like Google Docs, and linking it here)
Tagged:

Comments

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Quick question before we get started. Are we starting at trainer level 0? Most of the campaigns I've seen start out a little higher than that, so I was just wondering.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Yes you'll start at level 0
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    All right. I should be able to get my character draft done tomorrow evening. There are a couple of things I'm undecided about, though. Unless you don't mind an "either-or" entry in the sixth slot of my wishlist, I'll try to decide on one of the two Pokémon in it by then.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ I don't mind an either or
  • I'm confused as to how to distribute stats. What are the averages, maxes, etc.?

I know I'll be a female psychic named Violet or Violetta. That's about it, so far.

• edited 2012-01-23 15:07:15
    You get 64 points to distribute. You can't start with any stats below 6 or above 14. I think 10 is meant to be average for a human. And for your stat modifiers, it's +1 for every two points above 10, or -1 for every point below 10.

BTW, I'm probably going to sit in this campaign, though I won't play because I'm already in one.
  • edited 2012-01-23 15:49:58
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Ok, so that leaves getting anywhere from one to two more players (since there is Professor Gator and Superglobe)

As a note, you'll be starting in Cherrygrove, so I'd suggest you try coming up with a reason to be there
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Johto, the first city you go to after leaving New Bark Town
  • http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Cherrygrove_City

Bulbapedia is among the best resources for this game ^_^
    Okay, then. I've got a basic character outline written down. All I have left is my motivation to go to Cherrygrove City.

Would it be all right if I went there to get my starter at an adoption event? I was planning on having my character come from Azalea Town, and that was the best reason I could think of at the moment to be in Cherrygrove.
  • Better than mine, I was just gonna have my character have moved (creativity, motherfuckers!) But it did give me the opportunity to build up a bit of a backstory.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^^ Perfectly fine. In fact, that helps me out some

We'll still need a third player to come in and make a character
  • I'm almost done with mine, I just have some questions.

How do we determine:

*money

*no. of Pokemon seen (obviously caught is 1)

?

other than that only thing I need is a good starter Pokemon.

also is 16 too old for a protagonist here?

• edited 2012-01-23 21:32:20
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    I don't think there is a limit on age, provided it isn't something like an 80 year old

You scan Pokemon with your dex. It takes three rounds, or thirty seconds, in a battle

I'll have to check on the money
  • Yeah but how do I know how many she's already seen? Unless we are not starting the game with pokedexes, which is fine, then I'll just put one.

I still am not entirely sure what I want my starter to be. Currently entertaining both Litwick and Sableye.

I'm a bit less creative in terms of starters. I'm actually currently torn between Squirtle, Bulbasaur, or making Ekans or Buizel my starter and putting someone else in the vacant wish list slot. (By the way, Superglobe, if you haven't already, the rulebook suggests making a wishlist of 6 Pokémon you would want to get during the game.)

Also, where should I upload this file that isn't too public? I know I shouldn't be, but I'm a little paranoid of someone coming across it by accident.
  • what would they possibly do with it ._.?

Anyway, I have not made such a list. Is it required? I wouldn't be able to stick with it anyway.

I don't think it's required, it just kind of gives the GM an understanding of what kind of Pokémon you want.
  • Ghost, Psychic, and Dark.

Subtypes optional. Maybe the odd Poison or Ice if we don't run into enough of those.

Just sayin'

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    You usually start out with a Pokedex from what I can tell, with no Pokemon previously scanned. Sort of a just got it recently thing

Gator: You could upload it on Dropbox if you want to get an account for this, or do a text version on Google Docs and allow only certain accounts to see it

Superglobe: The GM Guide mostly states the wishlist as a way to reward you guys with something other than items (although this doesn't necessarily mean you'd catch the Pokemon for certain)

It doesn't say how much money to start with, how to award you guys with it, etc. so assume the usual starting amount from the games (3000 Poke each), and I'll throw in 5 Pokeballs, 3 Potions, and an Antidote
    Just an update for tonight: I am finished with the Word document detailing my character, and I have uploaded it to Dropbox. I'm still not sure how to link it here, though.

Also, I've revised it a little. I was originally just going to be uncreative and make a character based on myself and my favorite Pokémon, but I decided to save that for another campaign and make one that's similar to me in broad strokes, but has different interests and is less shy and awkward. Does that sound like a good idea?
  • wait you were supposed to do a word doc? I've been editing the PDF.

• edited 2012-01-24 23:06:47
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I mostly did it to put background and stuff on it. I'll do the PDF once I've sent in the concept.

Also, sorry that I keep catching you off guard. I know that must be annoying.
  • Who me? Nah, it's not annoying. I'm just an easily confused person.

also for clarification, my character's name is pronounced "Violet Deep". The "Deep" part is not spelled that way at all.

That reminds me, I forgot to give my character a last name. I'll stick with the color theme you have started and name him "Ryan Blake." Looks close enough to "black," right?
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^^^^^ If you have the application and the file is in your public folder, you can right click it, click... Dropbox, I think the option is? You'll have an option that isn't typically in the right click menues at any rate. Then you can select copy public link

Going through dropbox itself... Erm, I forgot ^^; Shouldn't take too long to remember once I'm back on my laptop today

^ Sounds good to me

So, if we don't get a third person by... Saturday let's say, want to start the campaign anyways? </paranoidaboutthisgoingthewayofthatvampire rponijbm>
  • Fine by me.

Though I won't be around for most of Saturday so I'd only get a few posts in.

• edited 2012-01-25 19:42:26
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I'm fine with that.

Here's my character draft. Sorry it took so long.

Any details you want me too add or change, let me know.
  • edited 2012-01-25 20:19:40
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ Just a warning: Grass Ace is, if I recall correctly, a class that requires you to become a... Gah, I forget the exact class name but it requires 14 in both of your 8 stats, so you'd need four classes to achieve that layout which is impossible

I have no problems with it otherwise
  • edited 2012-01-25 20:32:09
    Double-checking the multiclass requirements in the rulebook, it looks like I do need to raise Strength, but only up to 10. I didn't see anything about Dexterity. Taking that into account, though, I'll tweak it a bit.

Edit: Done. Strength is now 9 and Constitution is 10.
  • edited 2012-01-25 22:23:29
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Type Ace - Prerequisites: Ace Trainer, 4 of the same Type Pokemon Owned in Pokedex

The Ace Trainer prerequisite means you have you make one of your classes Ace Trainer

^ Superglobe, you can't start out with a class at level 0. You can leave it there as, "I plan to take this class" though. So please remove the modifiers you got from the class
  • oh.

when do you actually take classes? ._.

Can I have my character just have like, unspecified psychic powers until then, then? Because her being psychic was sort of integral to her character.

• edited 2012-01-26 00:12:12
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    You can take a class upon gaining your first level and meeting the requisites

And I don't see the problem with that (especially since the class kind of says that Psychics are born with these powers...)

EDIT: Unspecified as in doesn't help you during battles or most situations, right?
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Alright, we'll be starting in, say... 9, 10 hours?
    So, at this point it would be in about 2 and a half hours? I think I can make it. I've got my character sheet set up in Excel (the PDF was a bit awkward and slow to load).
  • yall can start without me. I'll catch up later today.

a link to the thread would also be helpful.

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Gah of course I sleep in

Starting right away
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    A link

Once again sorry. >.< Was awake early enough then, in my infinite wisdom, decided that I had enough time to nab a bit more sleep
    That's fine. It's actually a good thing we started a little later, because I had some unexpected business to attend to. I'm ready now, though. I've started posting in the IC thread.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Ah, so it worked out well then

I wonder how late Superglobe will be? I can't start the plot up without both of you here (else one will be left out of the loop)
    I'm not sure, to be honest. I haven't talked to Superglobe quite enough to get an idea of what their posting schedule is like. That's the main reason why I'm spacing out my posts 15 minutes apart from yours. Sorry if that was troubling you any.
  • Just later today (I don't know *how much* later, I'm going to a spaghetti dinner)
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Well, I could make the adoption event go a bit longer, establish things a bit more and get some supplies to Gator that could be really helpful when you get back Super (A major plot point was pretty much planned for right after Gator got his Pokemon and bumped into your character, Super ^^;)
    Sounds like a plan to me. I just decided to have Ryan chat a bit with the breeder anyway.
  • *Please* don't call me Super. Globe, Globey, Spain, or Spainey are all fine. 

In any case, I was actually going to have Violet be picking up one of her old Pokemon transported via PC from her old home. Is that unacceptable?

(there's no reason she couldn't just happen to enter the Pokemon Center while that's going on)

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ Perfectly fine, Globe
  • 'kay.

I assume Pokecenters handle such things. As they have those PCs in them.