Forum Software FAQs [updated 23 Jan 2013]

Comments

• Anonus said:

Not only are they ugly, they're animated, too.

EGADS. D:
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I prefer the power of silly text. ^w^
  • On the mobile site, the "see full website " button is a bit too close to the post comment button. Is it possible to fix this?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Heh, I've had trouble with that too, especially since I tend to zoom in real far...poor vision, you know how it goes.

We'll have to see if that's something Lee can tweak, but it doesn't sound like it'd be too difficult.
  • Alright, thanks.
  • So, is it fixable?
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I haven't had a chance to look at it, but I would think so.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    So, for the curious, I think I figured out why hashtags seem to work or not work at random.

In the HTML source of a post...if there's any sort of HTML tag before or after hashtag...it ain't gonna work.

Thus the reason they tend not to work with the WYSIWYG editor is its tendency to separate line breaks with <p> or <div> tags.

#eeyup
    Speaking of the WYSIWYG editor, I'm seriously tempted to replace it with TinyMCE and see if the post-eating problems stop. Apparently there's at least one plugin that does it; I'll have a closer look when I'm not at work.
    TinyMCE? I like this idea...
  • Okay, since I'm guessing that the "see full site" button isn't fixable, could you add a "see mobile site" button on the normal website?
    The odd thing is, I'd kind of need the second to fix the first...I'm not quite sure how Vanilla decides a browser is "mobile" or not.
  • lol what the fuck happened in here guys need to chill. its an internet form
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 2012-12-14 00:48:02
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    A sort of "safe haven" thing or something?
  • edited 2012-12-14 01:20:48
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Isn't that what the PM threads are, though?

I guess we could somehow add the full postbox to those and give them titles, but it would essentially be the same thing.

• I think there should be a way to lock your avatar or something.
    "Lock" it how? You already have to be logged in to change it, and that requires a password...
  • Maybe you should just lock your fucking computer? It's seriously not that difficult.
  • Okay, okay, sorry. I was really stressed when I typed that, I really should've thought that over before I posted it.
  • Would there be a way to display our time zones?
  • I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    "7. This is not the place to discuss TV Tropes's policies, drama, or bans. Repeatedly doing so outside of private messages puts you at risk of being probated or banned. If you'd like to do that, try this place."

I'm not sure how this isn't already covered, man. It's been a rule for months.
  • I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    There is no need. We do not discuss the drama here according to the rules. It's as strict as it can be anyway.
  • It's usually not a huge deal when it's discussed.
  • You seem to be the only person here who has a problem with it though.
  • Usually what happens when TvT comes up is that a few people will discuss it and you'll occasionally pipe in and say how stupid it is to talk about it.
  • When was the last time this happened? If you're bothered by it so much, you don't have to participate.
  • I don't like it either, to be perfectly honest.

Also can we wait for a mod to chime in here? Really should not be arguing in an Admin thread.

The current rule was written with the intent of allowing casual mentions of TVT because we found that banning literally every mention of the site was a pain for users and mods alike. Not a lot of drama results from comments like "Remember when Imi posted [funny thing] in the original Heap?", so it's not worth policing them.

That said, Anonus and I agree that the current rule needs way better enforcement. The 26 December example linked above is exactly the kind of thing the rule is intended to prevent, and I should have put a stop to it after that first post. From now on that's how we'll be doing things.
  • Sorry about that.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Is it possible to change the Date settings on each post because I really prefer a DD/MM/YYYY setting.
    On the sidebar of your profile there should be a "Custom Date Settings" link. There are a couple presets, or you can fill in your own.
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-01-04 10:41:14
    Yeah, for example, mine is gussied up so it has stuff like "Central Avenue on Jan 04, 2013 at 10:02 am" with each post. 

You don't have to make it like that though, you can make a format that suits your fancy.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    The limit is already 8000...I guess I could raise it.
This discussion has been closed.