Forum Software FAQs [updated 23 Jan 2013]

Comments

• edited 2012-03-08 21:59:13
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I could access the rest of the Internet, though, albeit with a few problems here and there. This was the only site that wouldn't show up at all.

I know I probably shouldn't have put this in this thread. Just thought I should point that out in case it happens to me or someone else again.
  • edited 2012-03-17 02:51:20
    I wish I could go back in time and slap myself.
    If the software is really soft, can I use it as a pillow?

vv  

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Isn't that more of an infrequently asked question?
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    *points to Administrivia label*

In other words:

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Yes, pony image macros, that'll keep a thread serious and on-topic.
    Well I figured people would understand those. :P

Anyway, yeah, caption.
  • For some reason, Firefox seems to have acquired a sudden hatred for Vanilla, because it won't sign in for anything now. Chrome, on the other hand, works just fine.

Anyone know WTF is going on here?
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I've noticed Firefox seems to be working less and less with just about anything.

We have had problems with it at work.

I pretty much just use Chrome now, except for at work where IE works a great deal better with all our Microsoft stuff like SharePoint.
  • Firefox keeps making Windows crash for me.

Works fine on Linux though.
  • edited 2012-03-17 20:46:31
    I wish I could go back in time and slap myself.
    I'll take those posts as a collective warning to put off updating firefox until forever.

Also, I've noticed a rather random and silly delay between the time that someone posts in one of my threads and the time I actually receive the little notification in the bottom left corner.

That's actually pretty normal for Chrome, as well. I think that's Vanilla's doing. 
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Yeah, the notification thing has always been a little laggy. I just turned it off on my account, because it's not really that helpful anyway.
  • Yeah, that seems to be pretty consistent across browsers.
  • I wish I could go back in time and slap myself.
    I read basically every single thread anyways.

99% of the time I'm starved for new posts. Eventually It gets so bad that I dig deep and necro something.

• edited 2012-03-17 21:14:47
    On the subject of Firefox and Vanilla, I think I now have some idea of what the problem is now.

Namely, I think it's got something to do with the latest version of NoScript suddenly going on an aggressively defensive stance again, unlike the last several versions, which were pretty much passive.

Unfortunately, I'm not an expert on this sorta thing, so I'm still in the dark as to the specific issue.

"Eventually It gets so bad that I dig deep and necro something."

I hear that. :P
  • Ok suggestion for a preview of comments to see if things actually work and what doesn't work. Like when creating a discussion topic? 

Thanks~ TRC
  • I don't think that's really anything AU or CA can do anything about. That'd be Vanillaforums' thing.
  • I wish I could go back in time and slap myself.
    What on earth are those checkboxes?
    They're for the mods to split and merge threads 'n' stuff...but for some reason non-mods can view them too, even though they don't do anything.
  • edited 2012-04-25 21:04:35
    I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    Mod/Admin powers. Used to Merge/Unmerge/Delete topics.

To say the least, DON'T touch.
    Please don't.
  • edited 2012-04-25 21:04:48
    I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    Edited for obviousness.
  • They don't work anyways if you aren't a mod/admin/whatever
  • edited 2012-04-25 21:44:55
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

TAKE THAT, CRIMINAL SCUM!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • *bans and subsequently defenstrates squid just to be sure*
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Squid...used to be such a nice one, too...
  • The sadness will last forever.
    Yeah... :(
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Mods, derailing an Administrivia thread?

I am scandalized.
  • edit: nevermind, problem solved.

• Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    What username?
  • How do I un-bookmark a thread?

I accidentally book'd one while trying to dismiss it (can we even do that on this site now?)

Click the star again.
    I cannot log out for some reason.
    Try clearing your cookies for this site in your browser.
  • edited 2012-04-30 23:57:04
    The sadness will last forever.

Never mind, it works now.

So, do we get to have more topics on each page like we did on the old forum? Having to click through to page 2 wounds my soul.
    Wow, I hadn't even noticed it went back to 30 (the default). Changed back to 50.
    Hooray!
  • Is there an easy way to switch back to the mobile site without restarting the browser?
    Unfortunately...no.
    Edited the OP to remove the thing about bigger avatars.
  • edited 2012-05-13 23:39:20
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Added this bit re: usernames with spaces, which I'd been meaning to do for a while:

How do I get a username with spaces?

At this time you cannot register a new account with spaces in the name. If you would like a space in your username, post a request in the name-change thread and one of the admins will change it for you.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    How do I create spoiler boxes?

People usually just highlight their text and change it white.

Though a button that does it for us would be nice to have. Though, I'm not sure if their is a plugin for it.

Black or white highlights, I think.

This discussion has been closed.