Forum Software FAQs [updated 23 Jan 2013]

Comments

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Its just that I want to hide a video about River Song, oh the irony and metaness
  • @Central Avenue: That OP is really awesome.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Thanks, GMH.

There is a Vanilla plugin that adds phpBB-style spoiler boxes using the
    Spoiler:
    markup, but it's not installed so we would have to ask Lee to do it.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I'm at work right now, but I can do it when I get home.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Would it ever be possible to have timestamps on posts that say the exact time of posting, not just the day? (For posts more than a day old, obviously).
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I'd like that too. I know it's possible, since IJBM2 did it, I just don't know how hard it would be...
  • UE and Lee should compare notes sometime.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Is there a way to avoid jumping unexpectedly to a different page in a thread (e.g. after following an external link and back again)?

It's a minor annoyance at most, but I wondered how easily it might be fixed.
    ^ I never did quite figure that out, but as far as I can tell, Vanilla is trying to be a bit too clever in "guessing" which was the last page you read, so instead of taking you to where you were it takes you to the first unread page.
    Also, it seems there are parts of Vanilla that expect you to have clean URLs on, even if you don't have them turned on in the settings. Fixing that should be pretty easy.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    That sounds good.
    Is there any possible way in the whole wide universe to get rid of the http thing that automatically appears when you go to make a link/picture?
    Lee could probably do it. I know they got rid of it over on IJBM2...
  • IJBM2 currently uses an entirely different editor anyway.
    Well, yes, but before that you ditched the http:// bit, so I know it can be done.
    Make it so!

/Picard
  • I don't think it was mentioned in the right thread (*This is the right one, right?*) last night, but member/about me pages would be nice.
    I remember seeing the about me plugins mentioned someplace, but I can't remember where myself. Can someone repost it here, so I'll know where to get 'em once I have time to install them (most likely tomorrow night)?
  • Tre found em, letsee....

Here.
  • edited 2012-07-21 17:39:03
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    (This was silly, what would I even put on a profile page.)
    You can put whatever you want! I, for one, like the idea of profile pages.
    ^ Then why haven't you filled yours out yet? :P
  • edited 2012-07-21 21:35:37
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^^ I could, if I were interested in actually telling heapers about myself, beyond occasionally whining at you when I feel miserable.

You guys have fun with them.  I don't actually need one, I was just being a brat.  I only wanted one because other people had them.
    Wait, we have them now?

YIPPEE KI-YAY MOTHERFUCKER
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    We've had them since yesterday.

My post up there was originally a request to change how they worked, before I deleted it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 2012-09-29 21:27:58
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Can I make it?

I think I will make it.
  • edited 2012-10-07 04:17:05
  • edited 2012-10-07 04:24:52
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Frosty, the "Forum Software FAQs" is not the place for you to bitch about how you feel you've been treated and "condescending" pretty much falls squarely under rule 1 of treating others with respect.

There is pretty much no "nice way" to tell someone they should take a chill pill, and the fact that you that you thought you could get away with saying that AND posting this here is exactly WHY you get into trouble in the first place.

You've already got one warning, this pretty much warrants a second. Don't use sticky threads to protest these sort of things. 
  • edited 2012-10-07 04:35:55

"Software" suggestions; you seemed like you where being dismissive of other people's posts whether you meant to or not; "calmly" or not, there's no nice way to say what you said; and we're discussing how to deal with you as together, it's not just me. 

Last warning, which you may have just wasted depending on what I get to read in my inbox from you.
  • edited 2012-10-07 04:54:12

Frosty, you're not the victim. You turned would should have been a non-issue into a multi-thread, multi-page drama march and, if you must know, we have multiple other situations, flagged messages, etc... that you had a hand in that we've had to deal with.

Are you done?

None of this is even remotely appropriate for this thread.
  • edited 2012-10-07 04:41:44
  • edited 2012-10-07 04:48:14

Yeah, that's done.

No, the "Forums Software FAQ" is not even remotely close to appropriate for this sort of discussion. Bring it up with the mods via IM next time.
  • edited 2012-10-07 04:48:43
  • edited 2012-10-31 21:56:49
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    And now, a word from Linode about their status (as of 10/30):

Yay!
    Erm not sure where to post this but can we have some emotions pretty please?
  • noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY~

sad... :(

ANGRY!

OK?
  • First of all, "emoticons".

Secondly, you can literally use any emoticon from any website on the planet by copying the image address and embedding it with our image tool. image

So they're kind of unnecessary.

First of all, "emoticons".

Secondly, you can literally use any emoticon from any website on the planet by copying the image address and embedding it with our image tool.

So they're kind of unnecessary.

And you can decide what is neccessary since when?

I use two comupters so saving emotes is impratical
  • you don't need to save them
  • dude what

just sign up for literally any forum with a full range of emoticons, and copy and paste them when you need them.

Behold, courtesy of Somnova Studios' website

image image

Hell, we could make a thread for this if you really want all your emoticons in one place.

Hell, we could make a thread for this if you really want all your emoticons in one place.

You would not believe how helpful that would be

• edited 2012-11-01 18:16:29
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    To answer the initial question: we have Vanilla's default emoticons turned off because (a) they're ugly, and (b) they replace all text-based emoticons, which is undesirable.
  • Plus, we can use image macros, which are better.

Not only are they ugly, they're animated, too.
This discussion has been closed.