Doctor Who

1235»

Comments

• all I know about Capaldi is that he played a character that swears a lot on some other show
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    also he helped Craig Ferguson get his start

I don't know why this would be devastating

The Doctor's been played by older actors before
  • Anonus said:

I don't know why this would be devastating

The Doctor's been played by older actors before
    because a lot of the teen/tween girl fans were only watching the show for the cute doctor
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    You say "teen/tween" but my mother totally stopped watching after they replaced David Tennant. :P
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I think there's a rule that every time they regenerate the new Doctor is a younger man.

And hopefully they call attention to that.
  • edited 2013-08-07 13:44:20
    (flower path)
    I don't think it's a rule, just a tradition.

And my mom's opinion on David Tennant was "Why are they trusting Barty Crouch Jr.?"
    Today's the 50th Anniversary.
  • Just got around to watching "The impossible planet"/ "The Satan Pit".

Not sure how I feel about it to be honest. It was a cool concept, but I think I would have enjoyed it more if they hadn't shown the monster and it was left (more) ambiguous as to what it was, like in "Midnight".
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-08-24 17:41:20
    Not sure I like Capaldi Doctor.  Granted Tennant and Smith were going to be borderline impossible acts to follow, but this one just isn't very likable.
  • I haven't seen any of his stuff yet, since I've been catching up on all the stuff I missed. What makes him not that likable?
  • Instead of weird and Doctor-y, he kinda comes off like a bitter Alzheimer's patient.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Bee said:

Instead of weird and Doctor-y, he kinda comes off like a bitter Alzheimer's patient.

So, valeyard?

Twelfth incarnation is valeyard, right?

And, wow, Capaldi is second-to-last, then.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    > implying they won't find some way to write around the 13-regeneration limit when the time comes
    I thought River Song transferring her remaining regenerations to the Doctor was meant as a way around it
  • > implying they won't find some way to write around the 13-regeneration limit when the time comes

I think they might have done it already.

Spoiler:
    I heard something about the doctor getting a brand new set of regenerations or something with the end of series 7, when he regenerated into the twelfth doctor. Don't quote me on that though.

• ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Anonus said:

I thought River Song transferring her remaining regenerations to the Doctor was meant as a way around it

Spoiler:
    Man, I don't think any of that arc had much of a permanent effect.  I mean, how many times dd Rory die, and the whole "you totally see the doctor die in Utah and there's absolutely no way we are going to get around it or fake you out" thing, and the "plastic people who look just like the real people and it turns out that what you think is amy is actually one of them".
    And I think the universe ended at least once.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-08-25 21:36:08
    Yeah they already did.

Spoiler:
    Turns out Eccleston was ten -- there was another regeneration during the offscreen Time War before the revival series started (John Hurt), who shows up for a special with Tennant and Smith.  And then counting Tennant's aborted regeneration to heal himself without changing, Smith was the last one.  And he knew that throughout all the various "seriously you die this time" prophecies.

Smith's tenure ended with the Time Lords giving him a full set of regens.  So even though we call him twelve, Capaldi is actually fourteen.

The thing with River Song wasn't a new set of regenerations -- it was a one-time heal.