Doctor Who

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    >I wonder how the Doctor could stick his hand in it in "Cold Blood" with no ill effects.

He wrapped it in a handkerchief.

Sometimes I forget just how silly this programme is...
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Maybe it was a NULL handkerchief.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    So I asked my parents if I should try some of the old series.

My dad said "yes, they're great" and my mother said "no, they're boring."

WHO DO I BELIEVE
  • Yourself

just watch the five doctors. it's ridiculously fun.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I keep wanting to watch some Fourth Doctor episodes.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Try "City of Death" or "The Horror of Fang Rock".

The pacing of the old stories tends to be slower, but I don't think they're boring.  And that's not a rule, either.  "Ghost Light" moves very rapidly, for instance, to the point where if you're not paying attention it's easy to miss things.
  • Just started watching the 10th doctor's first episode.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    What, the CiN special or the Xmas one?
  • edited 2012-05-15 14:15:38
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    thats the CiN which happens between Parting of the ways and the Xmas Special.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I like to think that after Mr. Magpie died, his shop was inherited by a family member who sold it to a huge national chain. The national chain then used the Magpie name for several of their stores, and eventually created a "store brand" of electronics by slapping the Magpie name on some cheap Chinese imports.

And that's how Magpie Electricals was on the Starship UK in 3295 when its sole owner died in 1953.
    Erm, Maybe Mr Magpie didn't die in 1953 because of the cracks in time
  • edited 2012-06-06 05:56:49
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Well then I went back to 1953 and stabbed him so there my theory still works >:(
  • edited 2012-06-06 14:54:49
    :|
    Anonus said:

I wonder how the Doctor could stick his hand in it in "Cold Blood" with no ill effects.

You never talk about that two-parter much.

Nobody ever remembers the Chris Chibnall and Mark Gatiss episodes.

(Fuck, I thought that post was on page 3.)
    Fouria G said:

Try "City of Death" or "The Horror of Fang Rock".

The pacing of the old stories tends to be slower, but I don't think they're boring.  And that's not a rule, either.  "Ghost Light" moves very rapidly, for instance, to the point where if you're not paying attention it's easy to miss things.

Generally, the Seventh Doctor's episodes are the fastest-paced and easiest to watch, but not the best.

And yeah, "Horror Of Fang Rock", "City Of Death", "The Stones Of Blood", "The Horns Of Nimon" if you want a good laugh, or just download Seasons 13-14 and watch them chronologically.
    So I am watching the "God Complex" and I wonder, what could possibly be behind Door 11 aka the Doctors Door.
  • So I finished Tennant's run a little while ago. I liked his episodes. Some were kind of flawed but most of them were solid.

I think my favorite of the specials was probably Planet of the Dead, if only because I kind of got a crush on Lady Christina (who should totally come back, I mean, really).
    The previews are out for the new series and Daleks, really?

I think they should be retired for a while because they have lost their edge.
    I guess that's because Moffat doesn't use them like Davies did. I think they were more of a menace when he was running the show.

And I liked Lady Christina too, Tre.
  • So I just watched up to the end of The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone.

I like Series 5 so far, it feels like a new show but it's still obviously Dr. Who. Also, the production values seem to have rocketed upward since the last season, though that might just be the jump to HD or something, I dunno.
  • edited 2012-08-05 17:43:14
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I guess that's because Moffat doesn't use them like Davies did. I think they were more of a menace when he was running the show.
    I guess.
    I thought this was pretty cool to look at.

(Notice they refer to the character as "Dr Who" as well as the show)
  • Have they ever actually called the good Doctor "Doctor Who" in the show at all besides when that question crops up? Because it seems like his name is for all intents and purposes "The Doctor", but the first series' credits had him listed as "Doctor Who".

Also Sarah Jane was in those poster things. Weird how even after all those years she was still definitely recognizable. (RIP Liz Sladen.)
    Have they ever actually called the good Doctor "Doctor Who" in the show
    at all besides when that question crops up? Because it seems like his
    name is for all intents and purposes "The Doctor", but the first series'
    credits had him listed as "Doctor Who".
    The Peter Cushing Doctor was called "Doctor Who"

• TreTre
    edited 2012-08-10 16:48:13
    Ahh, I see. Cool.
    The Peter Cushing Doctor is also a non-canon Doctor.
    As far as the new series goes, I believe it was actually Tennant himself who requested they credit him as "The Doctor", rather than "Doctor Who" as Eccelston had been.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    The Peter Cushing Doctor was also a human. 
  • The Peter Cushing Doctor was also a human. 

lolwut
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-08-11 12:01:49
    Well, if ever I go back into the pre-2005 Who archives I know what I will not watch.

In other news, we finished Series Five last night. Was pretty good overall, had a bit of flubs here or there (did Rory really have to die two episodes in a row? Granted, one time didn't count cuz lolDream Lord, but still) but Matt Smith's a good successor to Tennant for the most part, as is Moffat to Russell T. Davies.

Whelp, Series Six. Apparently this one's a doozy.
    Speaking of Series 6, I keep feeling disappointed that the Series 7 material released doesn't hint at any more Silence. Nothing about that felt resolved to me.

Maybe it's being kept hidden.
  • Wait, damn, I meant S5. Fixed.
    Ugh, spoilers, sorry.
  • Nah, it's cool. Tumblr already kinda spoiled everything loooooong before I even started watching the show.
    Au: That post didn't really spoil anything beyond "the Silence exists", so I think you're cool.

Tre: I know how that goes. When the season was running, I had to avoid Tumblr every week until I got around to the latest episode, because people quite literally take offense to the idea that they shouldn't post unmarked spoilers.
    Fucks sake, River Song is appearing in Series 7 :(
    GOD I KNOW RIGHT
    I thought the story arc was over now but noooo, its almost as bad as the ruddy Daleks being back.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I actually like River Song and Daleks.

Daleks are fun no matter what you do with them (that said they resurrected the Daleks in World War II so why wouldn't they come back?).
    Its weird watching Fear Her now the Olympics are over.
    Daleks are fun no matter what you do with them (that said they
    resurrected the Daleks in World War II so why wouldn't they come back?).
    I dont think they should be back for a while because they look tired.

So the premiere date for Series 7 has been announced (it's the same date in the UK, US, and Canada).
    Sweeeeeeeet.
    I get to see it a whole 7 hours (I think) before people and I'm going to spoil it :3
    omg spoilers

A Dalek story that didn't suck

Indeed, though I like some of the others.

I had difficulty following the ending; did he transport himself into the TARDIS somehow?
  • edited 2012-09-02 06:39:03
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

I had difficulty following the ending; did he transport himself into the TARDIS somehow?]
    Yes he did as the TARDIS was on the ship

ETA:

The woman playing Oswin is the same woman who is going to be the next companion and that char is called Claire Oswin.

Just watched "Asylum of the Daleks".

I was kinda proud of myself for picking up on the whole "where did she get the milk?" thing before the Doctor mentioned it the first time.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ I just assumed her ship had something like those devices in Star Trek