Doctor Who

Comments

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Why so?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    ...You know, I kinda want to re-watch all 6 seasons now.

Perhaps I'll do that over spring break, in between reading Homestuck
    I like Fear Her to be honest and its a shame that Tennant isn't doing the final leg of the torch relay
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    "The Wedding of River Song" had a kind of constructedness to it, but I think they effectively created the sense of inevitability and fatalism.  As with "The Big Bang", the climactic part of the story really felt final, like this was it, the end of the line.

But of course, it wasn't.  It was almost a joke at the viewers' expense, because the Doctor has the situation totally under control, and that information is merely withheld from us.
  • Did the Doctor really plan his resurrection in The Big Bang? I thought it was one of those things that River Song, being Miss Mary Sue, came up with. 

And definetly agreed on the Wedding of River Song. Again,  think it would've been better as a two parter of some kind. At the very least, I liked Dying Eleven a lot more than Dying Ten. He has a lot more of fight within him. 
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    ...it seems that I didn't dislike a lot of apparently unpopular episodes.
    No, the Doctor didn't plan that in The Big Bang.  I meant he planned his escape in Wedding.

I actually liked that they mixed up the formula a bit; I felt the whole two-part finale thing was getting a little predictable.
  • I liked the idea of changing things up. I just don't think the episode and story benefitted from being a rather speedy ending
    I actually liked that they mixed up the formula a bit; I felt the whole two-part finale thing was getting a little predictable.

Weren't series 3 and 4 a 3 part ending?
  • edited 2012-01-30 05:55:46
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    They're not strictly speaking allowed to do stories spanning more than two episodes.  They managed a three-part finale for Series 3 only by cheating a bit (the plot is continuous and "Utopia" doesn't really work on its own, though).

"Turn Left" has pretty much nothing to do with the finale other than the cliffhanger tacked on the end.  I guess it does incorporate some information about Rose, but it's a Trickster's Brigade story and it has a clear beginning and resolution.  It doesn't have anything much to do with Daleks or vanishing planets.
    It doesn't have anything much to do with Daleks or vanishing planets

Donna and Wilfred are talking about "the stars going out" towards the end of the episode which what the weapon Davros is creating would do.
    Yes, but that aspect of the setting was running throughout that arc, that was just the first episode to really call attention to it.

The plot itself is distinct.  You can watch "Turn Left", minus the ending, and get a complete story, providing you keep in mind that it's part of a longer arc.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    The Starship UK is the kind of silly thing I love about this show.

Union Jack EVERYWHERE, hell, America doesn't spam our flag that much at the Fourth of July! :P
  • I'm about to watch the rest of "Fear Her" right now, I guess.

I love how it uses the old London 2012 Olympics logo, it's much nicer looking than the current one.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Am I the only one who liked "Love and Monsters"?

Yes, I cringed a lot and yes I thought it was vaguely pandering, but it was something different!
  • I thought it was pretty good, myself. A nice change in pace.
    I enjoyed it.  I didn't hate it.  I just thought it was kind of weak for a Doctor Who episode, and I didn't like the ending.  But it would be false to go so far as to say I didn't like it.

As a matter of fact I think I enjoyed it more at the time than with hindsight, actually.  With a lot of episodes I find I'm more critical when I look at them again now, when at the time I just went with the flow and enjoyed them for what they were.
    ^ I'm like that with a lot of MLP episodes. "Mare-Do-Well" gets dumber the more I think about it, to name the obvious example.
    I think I'm more charitable towards MLP than Who because the former is aimed at a slightly younger demographic and on the whole seems less ambitious, conceptually.  I generally expect it to be relaxing and amusing, rather than suspenseful and dramatic.
    ...Seeing the Daleks talk about being "pure" makes me somewhat uncomfortable now
  • edited 2012-05-11 00:08:41
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Daleks were always alien Nazis.

Alien saltshaker Nazis.
    Oh, it's not the Nazi part that worries me...AU knows what I'm talking about.
    Or rather, it is the Nazi connection that worries me, but not in relation to the Daleks.

...This is stupid, why'd I bring it up?
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I remember you mentioning it a few times, CA. Don't worry. I'm pretty sure those thoughts are not going to turn you into a genocidal maniac.

I'm not sure what else to say except hang in there and I hope you feel better soon.
    The "purity" thoughts don't have to do with race or anything, in her case.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 2012-05-11 00:16:44
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Don't you guys know LOGIC:
    • The Daleks talk in terms of "purity"
    • The Daleks are meant to be Space Nazis
    • My unwanted thoughts center around "purity", albeit not with regards to people or ethnicity
    • Therefore, I am literally Adolf Hitler
    Q.E.D.
    ...This was a stupid derail.

Instead let's talk about how silly the "spitfires in space" scene from "Victory of the Daleks" was.
  • edited 2012-05-11 00:20:09
    -Removed because changing the subject-

On a silliness scale of one to ten, I give that scene a 9.8.
    Honestly, more than anything really it's just that the word "pure" or the invocation of "purity" makes me slightly uncomfortable all on its own now, because it reminds me of unpleasant thoughts.

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    All I can say is; "don't worry about it." Unless you start freaking out about race or ethnicity, you can stay preoccupied about purity as much as you like.
    I'd argue that purity is actually an unattainable goal in any case and not worth stressing over, but I got the impression that you can't actually help it.
    ^^Said "purity" thoughts are very reminiscent of OCD, though.
    Oh huh. That might be worrisome, then.
    Am I the only one who liked "Love and Monsters"?

No lots of people really loved it

But the equal amount of people really fucking hated it
    Allegedly, hence why it ranks as "average" in polls.

But on the Internet, I seldom see anyone claiming to have loved it, while people who hated it are everywhere.
    I thought it was OK, not bad, but not great. The Abzorbaloff was stupid but that was about it as far as being dumb went.
    What is it with you people and "Love and Monsters"? It seems to get brought up almost every time Doctor Who is discussed here...
    "Love & Monsters": Secretly HH's favourite Doctor Who of all time.
    Because its the worst episode of NuWho by a country mile?
  • edited 2012-05-11 18:06:07
    ^ "Victory of the Daleks" says hi.
  • edited 2012-05-11 18:07:30
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Victory of the Daleks had the Doctor threatening the Daleks with a Jammy Dodger, that beats all of Love and Monsters :p

ETA: Also it had Spitfires in space.
    Eh.  I can't really defend L&M, and I'll admit that VotD had its good points.  VotD is still the only episode since the revival that actively pissed me off, though.

I didn't think L&M was worse than, say "Last of the Time Lords" or "The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe".  It was a meh episode, that's all.
    I dont remember the D,W&W because I was so plastered on Xmas Day.

Last of the Time Lords has a stupid Deus Ex Machina though
    You know what would suck? If you lived somewhere with the crack from series 5, but instead of losing your loved ones to it you just lost items.

"Honey, have you seen my car keys?"

"What car keys?"

"The keys to my car. Don't be dense."

"Honey...your car never had any keys!"

"...Then how the hell did I drive it here?"

"...That's a very good question."
    I wonder how the Doctor could stick his hand in it in "Cold Blood" with no ill effects.

You never talk about that two-parter much.
    Honestly I forgot about that one until now.
  • edited 2012-05-13 03:40:44
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    "Honestly I forgot about that one until now."
    *snicker*