Discussion of TV Tropes

Comments

• I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    What's "Made of Meat"?
  • edited 2012-02-28 15:58:49

^ ^ ....Are you serious?

She was the OP of the Fetishes thread too.
    ^^ I can see why he denied that type of crap. It's better left ignored.

^ I never saw it.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    ^ You're joking right? Please be joking.
  • edited 2012-02-28 16:03:14

I can see why he denied that type of crap. It's better left ignored.

That was so completely warped that I am no longer continuing with this conversation with you, as you have lost.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Apparently I dreamt FE was denying stuff and FE never denied anything
  • edited 2012-02-28 16:06:45

Ah.

That seemed kinda too crazy.

...It's kinda sad that it didn't even occur to me to check, on account of Eddie's recent behaviour.
    Denying the event is fine. It's drama better left unsaid. Especially when it makes the Administration look bad.

Trying to stop drama from happening is a good thing. It's why some bad stuff is not said since it gets into Flame Wars. Better to stop it before it ignites in the first place.

Plus, he apparently didn't deny it, but my point still stands. You stop drama from happening with mod powers. Smart move.
  • Not this shit again.
    ?

A psychopathic guropony-clopping bitch who tried to kill somebody over the internet and attempted to mail anthrax to a ton of tropers when she rage-quitted.

Not really, no. She was a weird kid with mental problems who started to harass AFGNCAAP/Harmattane/SPACETRAVEL. She reported the whole thing and she was banned

^^ I can see why he denied that type of crap. It's better left ignored.
    Yes, because harassing doesn't cause problems at all, how foolish of me to think so.

Anyway, I don't think Eddie denied the whole MoM incident, but he denied the whole Haven incident, which was also harassment, if incredibly dissimilar in any other department.
  • Your "Point" has caused you to fall in my esteem substantially.
  • It's the "Stop making me insult/mock you" thing that started occuring awhile ago. While yes, sometimes when somebody says stupid shit, it may seem okay to mock them or call them out on their stupidity, but all it does is well, cause drama and problems. A different manner of addressing it usually stops this from happening but also lets the poster know "That's no good bro."
    Not really,
    no. She was a weird kid with mental problems who started to harass
    AFGNCAAP/Harmattane/SPACETRAVEL. She reported the whole thing and she
    was banned

Nu uh, I WAS HERE LONGER THAN YOU, I GET TO TELL THE MAEDOMEATU STORY, NOT YOU, I HAVE SENIORITY BEHIND ME, to otherwise confirm my side of the story, and she did not infact do, that, and instead did what I said. You you baka.

Apparently I dreamt FE was denying stuff and FE never denied anything
    What?
    Yes, he did deny the Haven stuff. Which is already over, so there's no use talking about. Or maybe he gets that he made a mistake and doesn't see any reason to constantly talk about it either. He should've apologized, and then we move on. Also, you know, constantly bugging FE about his mistake is harassment too, btw. It's why we drop things instead.

My "point" is that you kill drama before it starts if you can. That is indeed a smart move if it's possible. You won't always know it's drama, but as soon as it comes up, lock the topic, etc.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    My "point" is that you kill drama before it starts if you can. That is indeed a smart move if it's possible.
    No, that is what people have a tendency to call "paranoia".
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    What?

I thought FE said that Haven was the only person who said they were being harassed over PMs that didn't make it up
    I'm fine with paranoia if it stops Flame Wars and Drama.
  • You are pretty much alone in that.
    Paranoia breeds distrust. Distrust breeds drama.
    Paranoia does not equal okay.
  • You're thinking of the internet as gotham city there, buddy.

It's the "Stop making me insult/mock you" thing that started occuring awhile ago. While yes, sometimes when somebody says stupid shit, it may seem okay to mock them or call them out on their stupidity, but all it does is well, cause drama and problems. A different manner of addressing it usually stops this from happening but also lets the poster know "That's no good bro."

To be honest, I think it's a matter of the people you deal with. Some people can be approached in a rational manner, which involves being calm, rational and clear and who listen to what you say. Others are so self deluded and unwilling to shake their views that they just deserve a little shake up in order to reconsider what they think. Of course, people being people, they start forming an scenario in their mind where they start dealing in false dichotomies in order to treat their opponent as...well, an opponent, rather than a person to discuss with.

You you baka.

sure sure, viani, whatever you say. --gives you a cookie--

Less Drama = Better. I don't see any positive parts of Drama or Flame Wars.

Trust won't get any better anyway no matter what route they take. So there's no point in letting anything start if it can be avoided.
  • Also, you know, constantly bugging FE about his mistake is harassment too, btw. It's why we drop things instead.

It's really distasteful to compare threats of violence to this, particularly when the person concerned is reading.

Irene, I would like to ask you to talk about something else. You're pretty much digging yourself into a hole here.
  • edited 2012-02-28 16:39:12

The internet is Gotham City, but Juan is Batman.

People can get confused on this.
    You're pretty much digging yourself into a hole here.
    Harassment is Harassment is Harassment. I'd like to note the issue was taken care of anyway. He's far from perfect, but annoying the Admin isn't helping the case and it never will be.

Nobody is agreeing with FE's decision. Doesn't mean we should constantly bug him about it either. That serves no purpose whatsoever.
  • The internet is Gotham City, but Juan is Batman. 
    I am the mod. I am the banhammer.
  • Nobody is agreeing with FE's decision. Doesn't mean we should constantly bug him about it either. That serves no purpose whatsoever.
    Avoiding dangerous precedents, and making indignity and outrage felt are not purposes now?
  • Vigilante Moderation is best moderation.
    No, it doesn't even serve a purpose anymore. It's easier to drop it as the person who was supposed to be in trouble is in trouble. Plain and simple.
  • If we're supposed to be dropping it, why do you keep talking about it?
    Harassment is Harassment is Harassment.
    Lemon juice is acetic acid is sulphuric acid.
  • edited 2012-02-28 16:47:06
    The sadness will last forever.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ Yup.
  • edited 2012-02-28 16:48:04
    I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    I was talking about on TVTropes itself, not here.

That, and if they want to drop it... stop quoting me about it.

^^ My statement is still correct. Harassment is still Harassment. Some is worse than others, but it doesn't make it any less bad no matter who does it.
  • Tomato is tomatoe is potato is patato~ ^w^
  • And now you've started a meme.

Good going, Irene. 

^ Lol, rhyming.
  • edited 2012-02-28 16:50:32

Meme is mime is.... Can is Man?

This is a stupid meme.
    I guess I should point out that one should probably avoid cooking using sulphuric acid. Unless you're an assassin. Or a mad scientist.
  • Have you considered not using tautologies for arguments? It's kind of annoying
    It's also annoying to mock and insult people. It's much easier to not say anything and respond only with points.

And since when is different forms of harassment not harassment now? Because it isn't. Constantly annoying people doesn't make a difference of the context. It's still harassment. No matter who does it, it's wrong and should be stopped. The only thing the context does is change at best what the punishment may be.
  • I can see why he denied that type of crap. It's better left ignored.
    So, you're saying that ignoring problems that may represent an important issue that needs to be dealt with is comparably better to having some discussion about the problem that may raise some good points.

The thing is that there's no logical way to deny something that people already know about, care about and discuss. If a senator gets accused of rape or a teen goes on a rampage with his father's rifle, no amount of denying it is going to stop people from talking about it because people have been affected by it. Fans of the senator are going to be disappointed while victims of the teen's rampage may be traumatized. Just as it is in real life, so it is on the internet. Made of Meat's saga on TvTropes has left a noticeable impact on many of the tropers. I never knew her, but Aon talked about her a few times in the motherheap and she has an interest in how Made of Meat's getting along. I'm sure other people do as well. So, to deny that Made of Meat's presence ever occurred is naturally going to insult people.

To give a comparison, let's look at two presidents: Nixon and Clinton. Because Nixon denied the Watergate scandal, even though there was significant evidence against him and a lot of suspicion, he's ended his presidency in disgrace and is still remembered for the distrust that he raised rather than, per se, creating the national speed limit and starting negotiations with China. Clinton eventually came clear about his affair and managed to survive his impeachment and end his turn favorably. He's still fairly popular today. Essentially, if you address that your constituents have valid issues rather than denying it, you're going to cause less controversy in the long run.
  • It's also annoying to mock and insult people.
    It's also annoying when you take any attack on your vacuous arguments personally.
  • It's also annoying to mock and insult people. It's much easier to not say anything and respond only with points.
    We have been at this discussion for exactly 47 pages and you have done nothing but repeat the same flawed arguments all over again. We have replied to each of them and pointed out that they don't even follow a logical process almost everytime we have entered these discussions. And yet, here we are. Doing this once again. 
    Remember what I said earlier? If you're talking to rational people, be rational. 

turns out that the "If" there is a conditional clause. And the operative word in that sentence. 
  • edited 2012-02-28 17:02:36

Anyone got another topic?
    @Yarrun: I don't see even a point in continuing to discuss it anyway. FE almost never admits his mistakes. Just move on. That's the point.

@Inane: Mocking is not attacking the arguments whatsoever. It's attacking the person.

@Juan: Attacking a person is not being rational at all. That's the opposite. If you want to be rational, either don't reply or only directly prove the arguments wrong. You don't need any mocking or flaming to do that whatsoever. There is no "if", you're either flaming/mocking them or you're not.
  • edited 2012-02-28 17:08:16
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    What about [Other Retracted Name] and his neo con bullshit?
  • edited 2012-02-28 17:06:22

Mocking the arguments is the only way to argue with them once you have successfully debunked the yet they continue to be upheld.

^ (*Sigh*) Aren't you tired of mods going in and editing his name out of your posts?
    Or you could say nothing at all. It's a more rational solution. Mocking is not about the argument, it's just mocking the person completely. Honestly, people just can't, you know, ignore it and reply to other things. Why is this a terrible solution comparing to attack people?
This discussion has been closed.