Discussion of TV Tropes

Comments

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    THAT'S BESIDES THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD!

*Bans Matt, except doesn't.*
  • edited 2012-02-28 03:19:36
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'm just here to gay the place up
    Fine, fine, so to bring things back on topic, mentions TvTropes :p
  • edited 2012-02-28 03:24:30
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Naw, screw it, let's just fill the thread with ponies, Homestuck, and kitties. 

I am ok with the ponies part at least ;3
  • The sadness will last forever.
    I really miss Forum Games.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

RARITY DERAIL!

imageimage
    She is a pretty pony, but I have to admit that Daring Do had a real impact on me and has become my fav pony. I hope they do more stuff with her in the future!
  • I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    I dunno.

Some bans do seem silly, agreed.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    Well...I really, really don't want to talk about it.
  • Well, SA is a horrible place to even try to look for TVTropes stuff. They severely exaggerate the bad stuff AND don't even know what's going on. That, and they do nothing but mock us, so why listen to 'em?
    Because there used to be a degree of truth amongst all the bullshit and circlejerking. I won't say or defend the SA thread, because it's pretty much shit (Hell, even the other goons have taken to mocking that thread) but I will say that there was definetly a time where these guys tended to actually have something more meaningful to say besides "All tropers are paedos, lolol"

Y'know I hate it when people say this. It's true, but so is the opposite, which is that being a jerk doesn't automatically make you right either.

that's missing the point of the statement, though. In fact, while it's true and I won't argue that, the fact is that you need to accept when someone's right, regardless whether you like them or not. You can't just contradict truth for the sake of spiting others. That's intellectually dishonest.

RE: The Heap: It's funny, but I'm pretty sure I used to talk to people there way back when I joined, like Bobby and Tzetze. Hell, I remember a time where me and Bobby where giving him advice cuz he was depressed about the whole "Not knowing what to do with my life" thing. 

...well, now I'm feeling nostalgic.
    Actually, yes, we can easily ignore them if they're doing it through insulting means. If you can't honestly say how you feel without being a jerk, your opinion has very little chance of being taken into account.

And whatever time that was isn't even shown, since nobody ever links to their(apparently) good posts about TVTropes. Since most of it is crap, apparently, it's better to not sift through the crap to get the very FEW constructive criticism. It's why it's not even worth using as an ideal source at all for criticism. It's hard to tell when they have a point because of the tons of flaming.
  • What is your obsession with flaming? You keep using that word.
    It's a horrible thing and shouldn't be used to get across your opinion. I ignore any and all that uses it. It invalidates your opinion alone.

Not to mention, nobody should flame in the first place. It's not impressive whatsoever and proves absolutely nothing.
  • I see you have strong feelings on the subject.
    Most likely because I'm sick of these type of people(and for good reasons).
    I explained them earlier.
  • shouldn't be used to get across your opinion.
    No-one flames to make a point, then it wouldn't be flaming. Flaming is where you subtly incite an argument, then sit back and roast sweet marshmallows of lulz in the flame war you just caused or reignited.
    Actually, yes, yes they do. People flame to prove things all the time.

And flaming is nothing but insulting, it's not actually part of a flame war in the first place. They just go hand in hand.

Flaming = Insulting someone, simply put.
  • edited 2012-02-28 11:40:37

Flaming is more specific then insulting people though, so say "Insulting people" if you mean simply insulting people.
    Except they're not different at all.

You described a Flame War earlier, which is two or more people inciting literal flaming.

Btw, "Computer Slang to insult or criticize angrily in an electronic message." Sounds like Flaming is an insult to me.

I see zero difference as the point of flaming someone is to insult them. You aren't flaming if you're not insulting. Thinly veiled flames count too, of course.
  • Actually, yes, we can easily ignore them if they're doing it through insulting means. If you can't honestly say how you feel without being a jerk, your opinion has very little chance of being taken into account.
    Which is fine and dandy when we're talking about personal matters, and even then, it's still applying denial to a truth in order to spite someone else, which is stupid and should not be done by anyone over the age of 15
  • If you can't honestly say how you feel without being a jerk, your opinion has very little chance of being taken into account.
    Well, if someone was overly touchy, that would lead to them simply ignoring any negative feedback.

Which is kinda exactly what is happening.
    It has nothing to do with personal matters. Or being sensitive.

There's a difference between negative feedback and actual flaming.

I could care less about what flamers think, and there's zero reason to ever give them the time of day. Insult-felts do not even deserve attention in the first place. Whatever point they had is long in a sea of insults. I don't have time to sift through the crap to find the few useful stuff. Snip away the crap, and there may be something worth listening to. Since I have to spend a lot of time trying to find the only things worth listening to, I can spend it better listening to actual constructive criticism. They actually deserve attention since it doesn't take an hour just to find the parts worth listening to.

In addition, if I have to spend to about an hour to find the "truth", then it's a real waste of time that anybody else could've told me in a non-insulting fashion. I have zero reason to waste my time on that crap. It's easier to walk away then to bother.
    That'd be if I was flaming them. I'm ignoring them because they flame. Not actually insulting them.

And you don't have to be positive or negative to have a valid opinion. You just don't have to flame.
  • Irene, I think you missed the point of Squiddle's post.
    I missed nothing.

I'm not looking for a teal;deer version of any posts. I'm looking for only criticism and not flames. If most of it is flames, I got better things to do. Not worth reading if it could be summed up in under two sentences with no flames. That's just removing the flames, though. If there's paragraphs of non-flames, then they're totally worth reading. If not, ignored.
    Knock it off, Squiddle. You know I'm not flaming you at all.
  • Either way, more patient tropes have dredged through that thread, retrieved complaints and filtered the bullshit out. After that point, there's no excuse not to consider them.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Irene, squid's post was taking the piss and not serious at all
    I don't consider people who flame, end of story. It is far from worth the tredge when they don't have even know what the point of what was being said. I have read through it before. And guess what? They consistently misread the actual context. If they can't understand what is being actually said, then what they say is false and stopped being constructive.

@Whale: And I find that annoying. I'd rather not be mocked, thank you.
  • No, Squiddle was making a point underneath the silliness and was mocking your argument, not you.
  • @Whale: And I find that annoying. I'd rather not be mocked, thank you.
    Then don't give a reason to mock you
  • Now here.

Squiddle's point was that, if you dismiss arguments as "Flaming" without reading them, no dialogue can take place.
    Or you can not NOT mock someone anyway. That's a better idea.

^ If they're flaming, there's no dialogue needed. Remove the flaming and a conversation is worth having. Otherwise, waste of time.
  • Or you can not NOT mock someone anyway. That's a better idea.
    Ideally, yes, and that works when you're talking to reasonable people. 
  • But what if they're not flaming, you just perceive them as such?
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Why did Eddie deny the whole Made of Meat thing?
  • He denied it? B-but It's there!!!!! o_0
This discussion has been closed.