Discussion of TV Tropes

Comments

• edited 2012-02-08 17:39:13
    I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    I don't even understand what you mean by "indent" either. I'm an idiot, man...

Anyway, faking a rage doesn't help either. It was pretty much impossible to tell apart, so... he got banned for the ragequit. Fake or not, it doesn't change the reasoning behind it.

Not really, no.

1) I was sick of the place because it was stressing me out

Why not just leave without any of that then?

2) I knew if I just left voluntarily I'd be back in an hour

Exactly.

3) The mods there do not ban on request, and never have.

And for good reasons. Basically, if a person asks to be banned, they're just Trolling. This is a special note, since trolling isn't allowed, but it's easier to laugh and ignore them till they actually do something truly wrong. It might seem dickish, but there is no need for a person to ask to be banned. Just leave in the first place.

• The sadness will last forever.
    I've lurked TVT since october 2008.
  • That's kinda sad.
    Yes, it is.
  • If you want to know why I prefer the distinction be made, I don't like the term ragequit as it implies that I quit in order to prove some kind of point, which was not the case. I'd never heard the word "ragequit" used in that particular context before, but it's apparently how Fast Eddie views things.

I don't even understand what you mean by "indent" either. I'm an idiot, man...

There is an indent button. It's a bunch of thick lines with a small blue arrow next to it. It's midway between the highlighter and the undo button.

• edited 2012-02-08 17:38:26

Fast Eddie views things though some sort of pair of bizzaro world specs.

I used to think the site could be fixed, but then I went to Wiki Talk.

I thought the mods were nice people, I found out they were a buncha, well, dicks.

How Ironic.
  • I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.

so I posted some half-assed rant, was reported, and banned. You can believe me or not, and you can also decide for yourself as to whether or not that qualifies as "raeg", but suffice it to say, Cygan Angel being banned had nothing to do with my leaving. I barely knew the girl.

That sounded pretty ragey to me. Even if you were joking. And you did mention, atleast in that particular post, that you were disappointed she got banned for having controversial views(which wasn't even the reason, since it was more or less egging the staff on, and purposely flaming them, even if subtlely).

For the record, I even thanked Madrugada afterward, and you can PM her to ask if you don't believe me.

I believe you.

Also, you cannot read my thoughts and I would appreciate it if you didn't act like you could.

Right. Just don't accuse me of wanting dicks to be allowed. Because that was never my intention either.

^^ This.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    I lost interested in tv tropes when they said that sex=gender
  • That sounded pretty ragey to me. Even if you were joking. And you did mention, atleast in that particular post, that you were disappointed she got banned for having controversial views(which wasn't even the reason, since it was more or less egging the staff on, and purposely flaming them, even if subtlely).

That you remember my post better than I do is a testament to how little I cared about it, I suppose. 

Right. Just don't accuse me of wanting dicks to be allowed. Because that was never my intention either.

I haven't accused you of anything, other than going about this kind of thing the wrong way, maybe.

If it sounded like I did, than I apologize.

I thought the mods were nice people, I found out they were a buncha, well, dicks.

I actually have to take issue with this, simply because the only mods I ever had problems with were Eddie, Fighteer, and blackcat. Bobby and Morven are perfectly fine people, and if we're counting the "new" mods, so is Katrika.

Fast Eddie views things though some sort of pair of bizzaro world specs.

His site, so... and many who try to change his views are not doing a good job of it. I've seen him convinced, but many keep raging at him.

I used to think the site could be fixed, but then I went to Wiki Talk.

I've seen some pretty good fixes myself.

None have I found to practice in Dickery whatsoever. They're all good people, and if they were actual dicks, they wouldn't have kept the position. FE is pretty adamant about not allowing dicks on HIS Wiki/Forum.
  • edited 2012-02-08 17:44:57

> Implying Fast Eddie wasn't the one being a snarky dick

And it is his site. And that is why I really ought to leave.
  • edited 2012-02-08 17:45:40
    That you remember my post better than I do is a testament to how little I cared about it, I suppose. 

Long story short, you reap what you sow. Mostly why I would rather avoid even fake rants. Trust me, I know how you feel.

I haven't accused you of anything, other than going about this kind of thing the wrong way, maybe.

If it sounded like I did, than I apologize.

Well, you sure made it sound like that. But forgiven.

If you wish to, Naney. Also, why does this site have a character limit for messages? It's kind of annoying, to be honest.

Getting out of TVT is a good option. Staying in TVT is a bad option.
  • Long story short, you reap what you sow. Mostly why I would rather avoid even fake rants. Trust me, I know how you feel.

Hm? I'm not particularly upset about being banned (other than a brief period of withdrawal I went through, but let's not discuss that), just mildly annoyed that people tend to assume they know why I left.

I guess it doesn't matter very much, but it's still irritating.

Well, you sure made it sound like that. But forgiven.

I have a tendency to not make myself very well understood, so it's possible I did. (this, incidentally, is why I don't like arguing).

Anyway, not something to dwell on.

Disagree, draco. I love the place.

Nothing to really reply to on that, Spain Sun. And well, you put out a rage, people thought you were mad because of a banning, so you left. They only had the single rant to go off of, so it's natural to go with the only data you have. Of course they're wrong, but there was no way for them to be right, respectively.

And people who understand me? Bleh.
  • On a mostly unrelated note, can you please not call me "Spain Sun"? I am Superglobe on Heapers' Hangout.
    It's the only name I truly know you by. I met you as that person...

But fine. I'll do that here and only here. I find it honestly easier to remember. Since I don't go by people's current usernames, signatures, titles, or even avatars. I go by who I met.

But yeah.
  • I lost interested in tv tropes when they said that sex=gender
    generalization. I never said such a thing, and I'm sure plenty of people agree that it does not equal that.
    You act like a horrible person and you'll be treated as one. That includes all the consequences.
    I agree and disagree. I think horrible people should be treated better than people who aim to be horrible but fall short.
    And this thread is destined to forever go in circles.
    Getting out of TVT is a good option. Staying in TVT is a bad option.
    I disagree.
    Hm? I'm not particularly upset about being banned
    lolb& is B&
    We've entered an endless recursion in time.

TL;DR

I HAVE THE ATTENTION SPAN OF CORN

Could I have a short summary of all this nonsense?
  • But fine. I'll do that here and only here. I find it honestly easier to remember. Since I don't go by people's current usernames, signatures, titles, or even avatars. I go by who I met.

I don't know who several people here (yourself included) are.

And honestly, I don't like Spain Sun as a name much anymore.

• edited 2012-02-08 18:13:08

My little sis freaking loves Selena Gomez.

And mulling over, I've decided to stay on my current course: Posting once or twice a day, and just not giving a fuck.

I rather like Naney. It suits me. And Bunny gave it to me.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • And mulling over, I've decided to stay on my current course: Posting once or twice a day, and just not giving a fuck.
    There you go my son. Never let internet bullshit distract you from talking about your favorite video games, or your favorite animated series that you have nobody IRL to talk about it with...
    When did they say that? :/
    Everyone on the Wiki Talk was like Pluto is no longer a planet Created a rule decreeing that everyone was to believe that sex=gender and that anyone who did not share this opinion was breaking the rules.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Gender
  • edited 2012-02-08 18:19:22
    @Tnophelia: To be honest, being horrible is being horrible. However, yes, you can try and make a horrible person see the light. But if they're aiming to be horrible, they're much harder to help.

@Superglobe: I hate it when people called me Dev when I used the name Deviot. Only because it sounded wrong. Many call me other names, I only find 'em annoying if they're clearly offensive.(or if it sounds off) Dev isn't how you pronounciate Deviot. It's Deev. For example. And I'm not really going to say my TVTropes name on here anyway. People barely like me anywhere, so they can't judge me by my old name, and only what I say here.
  • edited 2012-02-08 18:19:42
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    ...Tnophelia, are you being serious here?
  • Could I get the exact link to this "Decree?"
  • I think it's fairly obvious, considering Irene was a nickname that only one person used on TvT, besides Irene her/himself here. 

Whatever, all I can say is this: It's your choice to go and post wherever you want to post. I can't criticize someone for liking TvT because it'd make me an hypocrite, even if my opinion on the site has definetly gone down. 

However, acting as if the site's flawless and as if the moderation's even competent betrays either a lack of standards or a lack of understanding how people, the internet and administrating things work. Or both.
  • @Tno:
    To be honest, being horrible is being horrible. However, yes, you can
    try and make a horrible person see the light. But if they're aiming to
    be horrible, they're much harder to help.
    It rests solely on what kind of horrible it is. If somebody is being a Tard Of Hatred and wish to rant about the popular things they hate, it's best to ignore them and let them get themselves into trouble. If somebody is having IRL issues but refuses all help to get them fixed, it's best to disregard them and move on. If somebody has a lifestyle choice that causes a lot of divided opinions (I support beating my kids when they get out of line), but they are generally nice, it's always best to check relevance to the topic-at-hand.

One thing I noticed is that Yack Fest doesn't have a goal beyond "Talk about each other and random things". What is one topic that rises up and causes problems quite a lot? Personal views and choices of others that people don't agree with. There is a 100% chance shitstorms happen because somebody talks about KodomoNoJikan, not because of the work, but because of the fact that "people like this shit" and the people who like it want to defend themselves, and thus the shitstorm is started.

The forums would be a much better place if they just went "Being a pedophile or supporting it is a bannable offense" would curb so much of these problems. </unrelated>

...it has appeared I have run out of things to put in this paragraph.
    ...Tnophelia, are you being serious here?
    I was evaluating the fact that somebody said that TV said sex=gender, which they didn't. I may not devoting all of my emotions, tact and dedication to this discussion, but I am trying to be serious in the best way I can.
    I find the staff far more competent than half the users, though. Not every decision is perfect, but people thinking flaming others is the best way doesn't do them any favors. Not counting FE, since he's debatable, if they weren't competent, they wouldn't be on the staff. It speaks for itself. I far trust them more than any random user.

Still disagree, Tno. I hate the idea of silencing a person because you don't like their views. Just silence the topic. If they PERSIST with these views, there's a problem. I myself am Lawful Neutral, and Freedom of Speech still counts to me.

That, and the entire staff, including FE, made it painfully clear that they do not silence opinions, but they do silence subjects that are too inappropriate.
  • I think it's fairly obvious, considering Irene was a nickname that only one person used on TvT, besides Irene her/himself here. 

I don't pay very much attention to this sort of thing.

Heh, tealdeer.
  • I don't pay very much attention to this sort of thing.
    that's kind of rude then.
    I find the staff far more competent than half the users, though. Not
    every decision is perfect, but people thinking flaming others is the
    best way doesn't do them any favors. Not counting FE, since he's
    debatable, if they weren't competent, they wouldn't be on the staff. It
    speaks for itself. I far trust them more than any random user.

Still
    disagree, Tno. I hate the idea of silencing a person because you don't
    like their views. Just silence the topic. If they PERSIST with these
    views, there's a problem. I myself am Lawful Neutral, and Freedom of
    Speech still counts to me.
    WARNING, BELOW PARAGRAPH CONTAINS SOME SEXIST COMMENTS AND RACISM. CUZ I DONT GIVE A FUCK.

The most I care about the wiki is that it remains there. Sure it has tons of problems, but me devoting catalystic emotions into it and disappointing myself with the decision the people in charge make is not going to make things better on my end. All I will do is get angry, want to rage quit, dislike somebody because of their decisions, and enjoy the wiki/forums less.

The only other place that I am aware of that I can discuss Team Fortress 2, Elfen Lied, Twin Peaks, NGE, Dissidia, Final Fantasy Type-0, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,10,12,13 and 13-2, Madoka, AvatarTLA, RegularShow, AdvenTime, Dune, Snaiad, RandomFlashCartoons, Higurashi, Umineko, BlackLagoon, and WMG about Dora The Explorer is Gaiaonline...and their userbase has a problem with coming off as fucking e-retarded...like, Youtube comment retarded.

I have never encountered the moderators on a bad basis, and if somebody I enjoy gets banned, I'm not going to get mad or throw a fit, even if the ban was because "I really don't fuckin like em." I have been able to re-contact everyone I have been seperated from originally on that site with IJBM2 and here. Sure the ban is fucked up but it's not like me reasoning with the mods, getting mad at them or gaining mod abilities and unbanning them myself is going to help.
    @Tnophelia: I honestly shrug at someone getting banned. Whatever they did, they must've deserved it. I don't even bother to show anything but neutrality towards it. I only state why, and nothing more.

I've been thumped more than once, but that was for off-topicness.
  • @Tnophelia:
    I honestly shrug at someone getting banned. Whatever they did, they
    must've deserved it. I don't even bother to show anything but neutrality
    towards it. I only state why, and nothing more.

I've been thumped more than once, but that was for off-topicness.

Other people are not like you, unfortunately, nor are they like me.

Well snowbull didn't really deserve it, but there was nothing we could do about it, but yeah. Disagreeing with a mod is not worth a site-wide ban along with a lock on his troper page, and he never really explained to anyone beyond that.

I was thumped for rudeness quite a lot back in my "care about the internet" days, then I calmed down.
  • Whatever they did, they must've deserved it.
    Ehhhh

And IIRC I have 20 thumps.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I have never agreed with snowbull's ban (he merely asked for clarification on how he was "being a dick", IIRC), and fortunately I can't think of others like it, possibly excepting annebeeche's first ban (which was fortunately lifted the next day).
  • edited 2012-02-08 18:57:58
    ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    Five pages later and I'm still wondering what the hell that SWAT kats convo was all about.

Also, I firmly believe that not everyone banned deserves. Sure, most of the time, but let's face it, mods are people just like us, and people have emotions (except for the weird ones but fuck those guys) and people with emotions get pissed off and pissed off people do stuff that may not be entirely called for, and out of all the people I know, IRL or OL, Eddie is one of the most over-emotional and easily-pissed people I know. Just putting that out there.
  • edited 2012-02-08 18:59:16
    It depends. There was one ban of a troper where the reason was the fact that her page was pretty much filled with personal attacks on people in a thread she used to frequent. Then there's Anne's first ban, which was just a gut reaction, which isn't so justifiable.
  • edited 2012-02-08 18:58:46
    ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    ^^You leave.

^And that was totally justified. But, not every ban is that simple.
    You have to do something wrong to deserve it. It speaks for itself. Albeit, it may not be justified to everyone, but it was justified enough at the time for the banning.

@Tnophelia: Disagreeing with the staff won't get you banned in general. The context is key. If you do it by doing nothing but bitching at them, and aren't respectful, you're probably gone. Keep in mind that if it's with FE, I can agree that it's not often justified on his end. He's trigger happy, admittably. But as we said before, you can only hope the Mods cool him down a bit.

I do not like that he's a bit too dictatory, but it's one of those "deal with it or leave" situations. I do not agree with his views either.
    It's just easier to not get banned, really. It's not even hard to avoid it. :p
This discussion has been closed.