Discussion of TV Tropes

Comments

• Fair enough (shrugs)
  • edited 2012-02-08 16:32:42

@Superglobe Exactly. I can talk with CA and Bunny, without the atrocious "Writers" and people who whine about their personal live all the time. Win / Win.
  • It's not a terrible place. It just happens to house some very unpleasant people.
  • I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    Yeah, and I do my job by hollering and avoiding acting like a dick. Not every time, and I cause trouble too.

Don't say stuff you don't know what you're talking about, Spain Sun. I am not perfect, nor did I imply I was perfect.

You act like a horrible person and you'll be treated as one. That includes all the consequences.

They don't like you because you're doing a horrible job making them like you in that situation, Beholder.(no, I'm not referring to you specifically, just the general idea of "you") If you're going to make people hate you(which only you yourself can do), then by posting more, you're not going to exactly help your situation. It's better to leave because less trouble will be caused. This only applies if it's literally your fault.
  • edited 2012-02-08 16:34:41

Eh, it's a wiki so the Terrible People edit until it suits them.

That includes all the *consequences.*

NO!!!! I SHALL BE BANNED!!! FROM A WEBSITE!!!!!!!

• And I am only here because TVT used to be a big part of my life and I just can't let it go. Used to be home, you know.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    You act like a horrible person and you'll be treated as one. That includes all the consequences.

Except this doesn't happen on TVT

• edited 2012-02-08 16:35:36
    I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    Terrible is subjective, anyway. If anything people think something is terrible, that's how it's generally defined for the purpose of the wiki.

And not everybody who edits it that way.

You're quite wrong about that, Whale. Consequences include people flaming you.(not that they should)
  • edited 2012-02-08 16:35:36

^^EXACTLY.
  • edited 2012-02-08 16:37:48
    (sigh) And my problem is exactly the opposite, but oh well, everyone heard that now. Then again, we do nothing but talk in circles in this thread anyway
  • Our enemies hide in METAL HUGBAWKSES.

And this thread is destined to forever go in circles.
  • Don't say stuff you don't know what you're talking about, Spain Sun. I am not perfect, nor did I imply I was perfect.

Oh I know perfectly well what I'm talking about. Because for the longest time I too was under the impression that as long as I hollered all the bad things, they'd go away. Did not happen.

They don't like you because you're doing a horrible job making them like you in that situation, Beholder.(no, I'm not referring to you specifically, just the general idea of "you") If you're going to make people hate you(which only you yourself can do), then by posting more, you're not going to exactly help your situation. It's better to leave because less trouble will be caused. This only applies if it's literally your fault.

Are you honestly trying to imply that people who are strongly disliked are either banned or leave voluntarily? That's absurd. People wouldn't complain about people who annoy them on there if they were consistently banned, or otherwise dealt with. But they're not, which is why anyone who might want an intelligent discussion has to put up with racists, sexists, homophobes, straw nihilists, wannabe Socratics, and a variety of other things. In the end, it turns into not being worth the effort, which is why TVT is the way it is. The only people who care enough to fix the problems are fanatics, who are also insufferable when they're on about their pet issue(s), making the only real solution to leave (permanently, in my case).

That's obviously all situational, but in the end it really does not matter who on that particular day is being a jackass, where they're being one, if they've been one before, and where else they were a jackass before they decided to be one now. They're still being a jackass, it's still stressful, and it's still not worth it.

One of the reasons I vastly prefer this site is that it's so apolitical. I could not tell you what most of the folks here think about Issues X, Y, Z, and F. Nor do I care, nor do I expect them to care about my stances on the same issues. That sounds like it'd stifle discussion, but it doesn't. Because people find other things to talk about, things that are not so important, and things less likely to end in inferno.

So sure, if you're willing to put up with a stream of idiots that'll never cease, stay on TVTropes. If you--like me--are not, then your best option is leaving. 

• *expects a picture of a teal deer to show up soon*
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • And again, everyone here complains about not doing enough to fix the problem which for me did not need fixing and it's the attempts to fix it that made me leave.

Again, not even saying that it is wrong.

But... what the hay, it's sad. Feel like a freak again, and TVT used to be a place where I didn't.

Not a criticism, again. Just an observation. Just an incompatibility.

I'm sorry. I probably annoy everyone, and should drop the subject already. Just can't leave it alone...
    "Oh I know perfectly well what I'm talking about. Because for the longest time I too was under the impression that as long as I hollered all the bad things, they'd go away. Did not happen."

Being "bad" in your opinion does not make it bad to the Mods. If they didn't find it bad, that means they noticed something we didn't. No user is infallible, and they won't do exactly what you want either anyway.

"Are you honestly trying to imply that people who are strongly disliked are either banned or leave voluntarily? That's absurd."

Yep. Because that does happen. Maybe not often, but people get driven off because they're not liked.(which, let's be honest, they caused it themselves almost all the time.)

"People wouldn't complain about people who annoy them on there if they were consistently banned, or otherwise dealt with."

Somebody being annoying to you is not banworthy. People breaking the rules is banworthy.

"But they're not, which is why anyone who might want an intelligent discussion has to put up with racists, sexists, homophobes, straw nihilists, wannabe Socratics, and a variety of other things. In the end, it turns into not being worth the effort, which is why TVT is the way it is. The only people who care enough to fix the problems are fanatics, who are also insufferable when they're on about their pet issue(s), making the only real solution to leave (permanently, in my case)."

You know most of those get talked to, right? You know that it's better to try and proves their views wrong than to ban those you don't agree with, right? That's my problem with this; I don't care if I disagree with a person. A person has a view you don't like? Live with it. Mods are not your Nannies. That, and TVT doesn't even allow half of those things anymore. We actually have rules to, you know, eliminate them. Nobody is telling you to agree with it, but either don't say anything or try to prove them wrong.

"That's obviously all situational, but in the end it really does not matter who on that particular day is being a jackass, where they're being one, if they've been one before, and where else they were a jackass before they decided to be one now. They're still being a jackass, it's still stressful, and it's still not worth it."

Having a view you don't like does not make them a jackass. Whatsoever. But Jackasses sure do get modded. Flaming is more being a Jackass than having a view you don't prefer. Nobody is saying t agree with them.
    "So sure, if you're willing to put up with a stream of idiots that'll never cease, stay on TVTropes. If you--like me--are not, then your best option is leaving."

I find them ten times more tolerable then those who flame and whine that they didn't get their way. Also, guess we shouldn't listen to 90% people in the world, since everyone acts like an idiot anyway. If you want to ignore idiots, be my guest. But being an Idiot does not make you a bad person either.

Argh, space.
  • edited 2012-02-08 16:58:43
    One of the problems is that they decided to make logging in and registering one in the same. Now, this sounds okay on paper, but the problem is, it makes it easy for total twits, fuckwads and idiots to just walk in and make people miserable. Compare that to Something Awful, which charges a one-time fee for registering. Say what you will about that, but it significantly reduces the amount of twits, fuckwads and idiots that usually flood TVT. And even with sites without a fee, there's often other restrictions, like an age restriction and the like. 
  • Being "bad" in your opinion does not make it bad to the Mods. If they didn't find it bad, that means they noticed something we didn't. No user is infallible, and they won't do exactly what you want either anyway.

Don't try to get "objective" on me. Rules are arbitrary and so is their enforcement, as determined by the worldview of whoever made them (Eddie, in this case) and whoever is carrying them out (the mods, in this case). 

I would not have problems with TVTropes' rules if they made any logical sense. As it is, I could go on there right now, promote genocide and get away with it as long as I did so politely, but the first person to call me out can get banned for a personal attack.

If you don't see something wrong with that, you're either Lawful Neutral on the D&D chart or something else entirely.

Compare that to Something Awful, which charges a one-time fee for registering. Say what you will about that, but it significantly reduces the amount of twits, fuckwads and idiots that usually flood TVT.

SA is no better than TVTropes.

You know most of those get talked to, right? You know that it's better to try and proves their views wrong than to ban those you don't agree with, right? That's my problem with this; I don't care if I disagree with a person. A person has a view you don't like? Live with it. Mods are not your Nannies. That, and TVT doesn't even allow half of those things anymore. We actually have rules to, you know, eliminate them. Nobody is telling you to agree with it, but either don't say anything or try to prove them wrong.

I am not obligated to go through the logical process with every racist fuckwit that walks through the door. Nor am I obligated to "just deal with it". If that kind of thought is fostered (and it is, by virtue of actively suppressing people who speak out against it) I will leave, and I have left.

• I learned interesting things about literary analysis from Something Awful.

I learned how to shove a frozen marshmallow up my ass on TVT.
  • SA has an entirely different set of issues that I don't much feel like talking about here.

"Don't try to get "objective" on me. Rules are arbitrary and so is their enforcement, as determined by the worldview of whoever made them (Eddie, in this case) and whoever is carrying them out (the mods, in this case). "

Then follow the rules as they're put out there. It's not hard to avoid being a dick. You think they'll get offended? Don't say it. Easiest solution ever.

"I would not have problems with TVTropes' rules if they made any logical sense. As it is, I could go on there right now, promote genocide and get away with it as long as I did so politely, but the first person to call me out can get banned for a personal attack."

Not only is that kind of topic now banned, but he was not breaking any rules at the time. Stop bringing him up. He's already not able to do it ever again, and he's already being watched. And you couldn't either. Being polite about your view won't do anything if the view is not allowed. It's not being thumped because you're being a dick, it's being thumped to avoid flaming and horrifyingly problemsome arguments.

"If you don't see something wrong with that, you're either Lawful Neutral on the D&D chart or something else entirely."

I see something entirely wrong with flaming people for having a view you don't like. Banning the view is fine. Banning a person for their views is not. There is a difference between advocating something and talking about it. Banning the conversation is 100% better, anyway.

• edited 2012-02-08 17:04:41

The complete inability to just ignore anything?

^Indent for quoteblocks.
    Those things are more work then they're worth, Naney. The quotation marks do fine.

You want to ignore it, just ignore it. It's... VERY easy. Don't post, don't read. If you cannot, holler it. If the Mod doesn't consider it a problem, stop bringing it up. The solution isn't even difficult in the first place.
  • Not only is that kind of topic now banned, but he was not breaking any rules at the time. Stop bringing him up. He's already not able to do it ever again, and he's already being watched. And you couldn't either. Being polite about your view won't do anything if the view is not allowed. It's not being thumped because you're being a dick, it's being thumped to avoid flaming and horrifyingly problemsome arguments.

And we only did that after what, a full year of pestering? And how often is this actually enforced? Genuine question, because that rule took effect the day after I was banned.

I see something entirely wrong with flaming people for having a view you don't like. Banning the view is fine. Banning a person for their views is not. There is a difference between advocating something and talking about it. Banning the conversation is 100% better, anyway.

Oh, I pretty much agree.

Just that, at least in my entire stay there, we never banned the conversation. It was always on a rudeness/politeness axis, rather than "hey it might be a terrible idea to have a conversation about this".

I'm not just covering OTC and the like, I can think of examples since my earliest days there. Recall that Guitar Bizarre person we were talking about a few pages back? It took him months of picking fights, ranting half-coherently at people, and being a general tool to finally get banned. It should not have taken that long. 

I don't know who to blame in that process, and I don't particularly care. It's a problem, and it's not going away any time soon.

You want to ignore it, just ignore it. It's... VERY easy. Don't post, don't read. If you cannot, holler it. If the Mod doesn't consider it a problem, stop bringing it up. The solution isn't even difficult in the first place.

How easy something is to ignore depends entirely on what kind of personality you have. Indeed, if I could ignore all the bad things about TVTropes I never would've left.

• No, your post is difficult to parse.

Banning the view is bad. Banning a person for their views is fine.

FTFY.
  • There's honestly not much of a functional difference between banning a view and banning people for having that view. You're basically doing one by doing the other anyway.
  • Urgh, whatever.

I just need to leave TVT.
  • edited 2012-02-08 17:13:36
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • This is about as dramatic as the Heap gets.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    Honestly, I just want to facepalm.
  • I guess.

Compared to other websites I visit/have visited, this barely qualifies as an argument.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Compared to other websites I visit/have visited, this barely qualifies as an argument.
  • > The realization you've spent 2 pages arguing over a stupid website

• Q: Have I lost interest in this conversation?

A:image

"And we only did that after what, a full year of pestering? And how often is this actually enforced? Genuine question, because that rule took effect the day after I was banned."

Strawdogging is enforced as long as they know about it. So that's all the time under the condition people do their jobs and Holler.

"Oh, I pretty much agree.

Just that, at least in my entire stay there, we never banned the conversation. It was always on a rudeness/politeness axis, rather than "hey it might be a terrible idea to have a conversation about this".

You were banned for your ragequit anyway. The timing was just coincidental. In fact, it had nada to do with you.

"I'm not just covering OTC and the like, I can think of examples since my earliest days there. Recall that Guitar Bizarre person we were talking about a few pages back? It took him months of picking fights, ranting half-coherently at people, and being a general tool to finally get banned. It should not have taken that long. "

Some people are dicks, no question about that. But we don't know the reasons why.

"I don't know who to blame in that process, and I don't particularly care. It's a problem, and it's not going away any time soon."

Ban the topic first unless the person in particular will not drop it. That's when they need to leave. Disagreeing with a person is still not banworthy.

"How easy something is to ignore depends entirely on what kind of personality you have. Indeed, if I could ignore all the bad things about TVTropes I never would've left."

You're ignoring it right away, and you stopped going there. You're not reading it, are you? You can't reply. So you're doing exactly what I suggested.

Banning a person for their views is discrimination. That's why a ban is the last straw. We shouldn't have to ban them in the first place, but that does happen. The priority of things are debatable, I won't disagree with that. I am against talking about horrible subjects in the first place. With those banned, those who derail it into that stuff is easier to make sure that they planned to cause trouble. And they aren't the same thing anyway. If you ban a topic, better topics can be discussed without issues. Just because they have a view on one thing, doesn't mean their views on other subjects are 'bad' either.

• You're ignoring it right away, and you stopped going there. You're not reading it, are you? You can't reply. So you're doing exactly what I suggested.

I suppose so, but this thread insists on reminding me the forums exist (I do not and never have had any real problems with the wiki itself).

Also, regarding my ban being a "ragequit", LOL. 

• edited 2012-02-08 17:24:25

^^image
    I had it with TVT. A long time ago.
  • You were there for very little time before you "Had It".
  • edited 2012-02-08 17:27:25
    I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    "I suppose so, but this thread insists on reminding me the forums exist (I do not and never have had any real problems with the wiki itself)."

Well, why are you posting on this thread then? And the Wiki and Forum are heavily intertwined from eachother.

"Also, regarding my ban being a "ragequit", LOL. "

That's exactly what it was. You raged because someone you liked got banned for pissing off the staff in some way.

@Naney: The coloring/etc to make quotes is too hard for an idiot like me to understand or remember. Sorry.

• edited 2012-02-08 17:29:06
    The sadness will last forever.
    I don't know why I put up with TVT's bullshit for so long. Oh yeah, the don't be a dick and no negativity rule. Pathetic rules if you ask me.
  • edited 2012-02-08 17:30:26

No, Spainy faked a rage to get banned because he has no self control.

^^Just indent.

^IT WASN'T ALL THAT LONG.
  • That's exactly what it was. You raged because someone you liked got banned for pissing off the staff in some way.

Not really, no.

1) I was sick of the place because it was stressing me out

2) I knew if I just left voluntarily I'd be back in an hour

3) The mods there do not ban on request, and never have.

so I posted some half-assed rant, was reported, and banned. You can believe me or not, and you can also decide for yourself as to whether or not that qualifies as "raeg", but suffice it to say, Cygan Angel being banned had nothing to do with my leaving. I barely knew the girl.

For the record, I even thanked Madrugada afterward, and you can PM her to ask if you don't believe me.

Also, you cannot read my thoughts and I would appreciate it if you didn't act like you could.

Btw, I was a lurker of TVT before I joined the forums.
This discussion has been closed.