Upgrading to Vanilla 2.1

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I don't really like that read threads end up being greyed-out, or that there is nothing marking one's own posts as such chromatically anymore...wondering if those things can be changed.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    whee thank you based lee
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I really like the new color scheme, although I'm also with @Anonus on this one.
  • im not a fan either
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i'm not super sold on the colour scheme, but i quite like the greying out of read threads.

Since unread threads don't always have red boxes anymore, i keep overlooking new threads.  The greying out helps me notice which ones are new and which ones i have already read.
  • i keep trying to PM my beau links to cool things i find and music and stuff and it keeps getting wiped

and i've tried clearing my cache and stuff
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    See, that is a problem, since you seem to be the only one having that issue, which is gonna make it hard to track down the cause if we can't reproduce it.

What browser and operating system is this?
  • Firefox 33.1.1, windows 7
    That's the exact same as i've been using, so i doubt it's either of those that's causing it.

Firefox 34.0 is out now, btw.
  • sometimes i have my browser on for like a week at a time by accident

i'll update now >_>
  • Tachyon said:

i'm not super sold on the colour scheme, but i quite like the greying out of read threads.

Since unread threads don't always have red boxes anymore, i keep overlooking new threads.  The greying out helps me notice which ones are new and which ones i have already read.

This.

The greying out is like a useful silver lining in light of the lack of the red new thread notifications being missing.  But ideally, the latter would be restored, rendering the former moot.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I admit, I find the new way rather unintuitive, but I figured I'd get used to it.
  • I know I put this in The Megathread already, but just so it doesn't get lost in the ether: is it possible to change the "banned user" image?

I'd be willing to contribute a replacement if necessary.
  • edited 2014-12-03 05:41:32
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    How about an icon with a red "HH" logo in it? Or a red icon with a white "HH" logo in it?
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-12-03 06:42:39
    image       image
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    I'd stick the word "banned" in there somewhere.  Maybe underneath in inverted text, or on one of the crossbars
  • edited 2014-12-04 17:24:54
    No, seriously, every time I see the HH lol, I think of Amida.

On another note:
    Is there way to "unfollow" a thread?  So that it no longer pops up the glaring yellow new posts indicator for oneself.  Presumably, this is unsetting the "follow" status that is added when one checks a thread for the first time.

It would be nice if fixing that also produced a way to autofollow every new thread too.
    You can unbookmark a thread by clicking the star next to the thread on the Recent Discussions page.
  • But it's not even bookmarked.  It's just a thread that I've read before, and because I've read it before, now when it gets new posts, it gets a yellow notification marker.
    Are you talking about the notification pop ups, or just those yellow boxes?

Until the recent update, all unread threads had the boxes...
  • The yellow boxes.

The recent update makes it so that:
    * If you've never read a thread, it has no box.
    * If you've read a thread and it has no new posts, it has no box.
    * If you've read a thread and it has new posts, it has a yellow box indicating the number of new posts.

I want to change it so that:
    * If you've never read a thread, it has a yellow box indicating the number of new posts.
    * If you've read a thread and it has no new posts, it has no box. (same as current)
    * If you've read a thread and it has new posts, it has a yellow box indicating the number of new posts...but you can choose to "unfollow" the thread even to go back to the forum thinking you've never read it and thus not displaying the yellow boxes.
  • kill living beings
    SA's forums have this. 's doable
  • I don't know about SA's forums, but I've used Hummingbird's forums (which are free to join, for what it's worth), and they have a thing where you can choose four statuses for a thread:

1. Watching: You will be notified of every new post in this topic.  A count of unread and new posts will also appear next to the topic['s listing in a forum or category view].
    2. Tracking: A count of unread and new posts will appear next to the topic.  You will be notified if someone mentions your @name or replies to your post.
    3. Regular: You will be notified if someone mentions your @name or replies to your post.
    4. Muted: You will never be notified of anything about this topic, and it will not appear in your unread tab.

This forum system has a "notifications" thing, which is like a higher-level watchlist, along with a regular watchlist.  It also has an "unread" tab, which is more like the general watchlist.

For our purposes, I think that the "notifications" is roughly the same as bookmarking a thread.  We should replace Watching with "Unread", which means a thread we haven't seen yet.  "Regular" instead becomes "Following", which means that the thread's listing in the forum view remember whether we've read it and indicates new posts if it has any.  And finally, an "Unfollow" status for when one does not want to have anything more to do with a thread.
    @lee4hmz Would it be possible to put the "Index" link back on the top navbar? It would make things easier when using a touchscreen...
    A thing i still don't get... when a new thread gets created, the title is bold but no yellow box is present.  When i have read a thread post-update, the title is bold and there's a yellow box.

But when an old (pre-update) thread is bumped, the title is regular and there is no yellow box.  So there's absolutely no indicator that there are unread posts there, so i initially don't notice them.
  • so I am currently unable to access my inbox 

I click the mail icon and it brings up the list of conversations, but I can't go to any of them because the menu it brings up goes off the side of the screen.

This was working fine like literally two minutes ago.
  • edited 2014-12-05 00:26:25

try scrolling to the right

zooming out might work too

THAT SAID the fact that the menu does stick out a bit beyond the page when opening it bugs me
    or zooming out?
  • Zooming out worked but I had to zoom way the fuck out.
  • Tachyon said:

A thing i still don't get... when a new thread gets created, the title is bold but no yellow box is present.  When i have read a thread post-update, the title is bold and there's a yellow box.

But when an old (pre-update) thread is bumped, the title is regular and there is no yellow box.  So there's absolutely no indicator that there are unread posts there, so i initially don't notice them.

Entire new post display system is borked.
  • Also, if you have multiple pages of comments unread, checking just one page (your first unread page) will cause all comments to be read.
  • Can we make Youtube video embeding non-automatic?

Like, say, a button on the bar.  Like embedding an image.  That would be best.
  • I'm a little unsure what the point of doing so would be, especially since the videos are click-to-load now (ergo removing the performance hit many pages took before the update).
  • I've just generally disliked autoformatting, even for URLs.  For videos, though, they have the added detriment of being very large and attention-grabbing.
  • That's not a technical problem though, that's your personal preference.
    I'm taking down the banner since we've been running 2.1 for a week now.
  • And with that, the design integrity of HH finally restores itself. :P
  • Thankfully this is a wonderposting forum, or my not noticing threads that I haven't read might actually be a problem...
  • edited 2014-12-07 02:57:34
    Also I'm not sure how to feel about the new indent block.

The old indent block made a quoteblock.  One that looked different from a reply block if you didn't give it a quote target, but it still was set off by an extra box of color.

This one literally just indents.  It adds no extra spacing, nor color box.

On one hand, this screws up the old way of doing things.

On the other hand, this is more honest in being an indent button.

not sure how to feel about this
  • i definitely prefered the old way fwiw
    Ought to be easy enough to fix.
  • Yeah, the thing about thread listing colors for read/unreadposts/untouched is a bigger issue.
    Does anyone else find it harder to notice new private messages with the new setup?

i keep overlooking them...
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    No, but I did prefer how easy the inbox messages were to notice on the older setup. On the other hand, the new compactness is definitely up my alley. Maybe if they were moved right up next to activity like they were somewhat like before, although then the avatar would be left hanging there.

I prefer it this way overall, and actually am more concerned about the lack of avatar history (insofar as I miss them), relatively minor as it is.
    Can the timestamps be de-vagued again at some point?

Also, does the forum run on Unix time now? Because I remember some of the pre-upgrade timestamps being messed with immediately after the upgrade...
    Seconding the de-vaguing of the time stamps.

Unix time means no more time paradoxes when the clocks change, i guess.  Alas.  But probably for the better.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I looked into it, and I'm not even sure where the timestamps are being generated from. It looks like it'sone the zillion things they changed for no reason...even U_E's custom timestamp plugin is no help (though I seem to remember it needing a patch to do much).
    I'm going to go ahead and unannounce this now.