Upgrading to Vanilla 2.1

edited 2014-11-29 04:19:37 in Administrivia
So as of now, Lee is upgrading the forum software. The forum's discussion lists still show Vanilla Poppy, but the threads have Vanilla Blue, avatars are small again, and Open Sans has reverted to Lucida Grande as our font.

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    That looks like another dumb 2.0.x bug to me. I haven't actually started the upgrade process yet, I'm just making preparations for it.
  • edited 2014-11-29 04:24:43
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Oh.

I went to the Dashboard and still saw 2.0.18.4, so...
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    The cosmetic details are something that can be ironed out once we're sure everything's functional anyways...
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    So the timestamps seem a bit wonky. I don't remember posting anything here on November 28...
    When you get the chance, can you modify the way the site stores time? And de-vague the timestamps again? (The forum posts' actual times reveal themselves upon mouseover, but the PM threads' don't)
    Maybe change this "X.XK" stuff back to specific numbers?
    I'll have to see where that is in 2.1...
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Weird things... some threads with posts that i hadn't seen were marked as read for me.  The activity page is blank.  Until Byakuren posted, the final page of the tumblr thread contained no posts, but was listed at the bottom of the page all the same.

Not complaining, just trying to help.

Also the discussion list is Vanilla Blue, not Vanilla Poppy, contrary to what Anonus' post said.
  • Also, the quote button isn't working for me, but I'm not sure if that's a bug or just part of the upgrade process.
  • edited 2014-11-29 15:09:11
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I actually did manage to get Poppy to behave locally; I'll be uploading it once I get some sleep here.

There's a newer version of Quotes for 2.1, I may need to install that.
    Okay, quotes are working again and Poppy is back. I'm gonna get some sleep, as mentioned.
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    is the side bar supposed to be underneath all of the posts/threads?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It's not intended to be, no.

Try clearing your cache, 'cause I was seeing that before but it's fixed now.
  • Forum system now seems to subtly mark if you've participated in a thread before.

And also indicate page number in browser title bar.  I wonder if this fixes the weird "skipping last post" bug.
  • edited 2014-11-29 19:09:31
    If you are not on the last page of a multi-page thread and you quote a post, the quote goes in the postbox at the bottom.  Then you write your comment and hit post.  Your comment will now show up...at the bottom of the page you are on.

That's fine and dandy except you haven't read the last page worth of posts.  But the forum pretends that you have, for the purpose of checking whether there are new posts.

I will need to check this to make sure.

Edit: BUG CONFIRMED.  This happens even if you're not quoting, just replying.
  • edited 2014-11-29 19:15:07
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Similarly, if you are on the last page of the thread and you make a post, your post will appear immediately below the last post at the time at which you opened the page.

Which is to say, if you were ninja'd, you won't know it until you refresh the page.

Ninjas getting stealthier.
  • Also, I can no longer tab to the Post Comment button from the post box.

This was a problem with the previous Vanilla version, for some browsers, though not for Firefox/Waterfox.  But now it is for this.
    Tachyon said:

Similarly, if you are on the last page of the thread and you make a post, your post will appear immediately below the last post at the time at which you opened the page.

Which is to say, if you were ninja'd, you won't know it until you refresh the page.

Ninjas getting stealthier.

There was once an option to allow threads to live-update, but it seems to be gone now...
  • kill living beings

Forum system now seems to subtly mark if you've participated in a thread before.

do you mean how the count of posts unread only shows up if you've posted ( or maybe just read) a thread before? I was going to call that a bug but I guess it's just an interface change. sa does the same, anyway
    i thought it was a bug but actually i can see it being preferable.

Reduces the compulsion to clean away all the red boxes by opening every thread, maybe.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Tachyon said:

i thought it was a bug but actually i can see it being preferable.

Reduces the compulsion to clean away all the red boxes by opening every thread, maybe.

Well, now the compulsion is to either make all the threads greyed-out or make all the threads white.
    Yes, actually.
    (2015 self)
    On the plus side, the "Save Draft" and "Post Comment" buttons have differing text sizes but the same height.  It makes me aware of the buttons, and that awareness makes me more aware that I'm choosing to post a comment, and that makes me think a bit more before posting.
    The PM CSS weirdness should be fixed now.
    Should we leave the signatures on the bottom?

Also, could you apply the sidebar hack to Vanilla Blue?
  • Forum system now seems to subtly mark if you've participated in a thread before.

do you mean how the count of posts unread only shows up if you've posted ( or maybe just read) a thread before? I was going to call that a bug but I guess it's just an interface change. sa does the same, anyway
    I actually meant the greyed-out status.  But yeah, I didn't notice that before.  That's interesting...
    Also, could you make it so that the "OnlineNow" display has five avatars per row?
    I can't decide whether to put the top signature before the comment body, or leave it in CommentInfo. Leaving it in CommentInfo means it'll look weird if you're logged in as a mod because of the IP address being tagged on.
    i don't like how sigs are below the avatars.  Were they always like this?
    No....I'm currently tweaking things.
    Cool cool.
  • edited 2014-11-30 04:07:49
    Can you change number of new posts display back to the original format?  So it doesn't display "1.2K" but rather something like "1247".

This way, massive numbers of posts will look funnier.

FYI, this is the exact opposite of a recommendation I'd give you for a serious website.  But this is the website I go to for two-bit silliness.
    Please can you switch off the 'edited at such and such a time' thing?  It is horrid.
  • I'm not really a fan of that either. (Less of an eyesore than TVT and IJBM's variants, though.)
  • edited 2014-11-30 04:11:18
    For some reason, I see an option to delete everyone's posts except for mine.  I wonder if it actually works...

Edit: never mind, now I can delete mine
    Tachyon said:

Please can you switch off the 'edited at such and such a time' thing?  It is horrid.

I actually like that it's now put up at the timestamp rather than appended to the end of the post.  So if you want to make an edit to make a post look a certain way, it won't affect it.
    ...will any of this stuff break if we switch from Vanilla Poppy to Vanilla Blue?
    It's just another reason to feel self-conscious when posting.

This way, if i make a mistake and have to go back and fix it, my post will forever be branded with this shameful edit marker.
  • Tre said:

I'm not really a fan of that either. (Less of an eyesore than TVT and IJBM's variants, though.)

I'm going to wait for the dust to settle on this, but it looks like I might ask UE to switch IJBM to this new Vanilla version, for a number of reasons, but this being one of them.
    Why are you so set on Vanilla Blue?  Do you prefer it?
    (2015 self)
    Yeah, I edit my posts quite a lot, and I don't like that marker.

I guess the solution is to post things that I won't feel a need to wipe clean later, to post in perfect grammar and spelling.
    Tachyon said:

Why are you so set on Vanilla Blue?  Do you prefer it?

To be honest, yes. I only stopped using it here because when IJBM switched over to its current server, it was using Vanilla Blue and not Vanilla Big City for the first week or so and I wanted to be able to easily tell HH apart from it.
    Defaultsmarty includes a version of the 2.0 Blue; it'd likely be easier to tweak that than to go messing around with the acutal defautl theme.
    Should we switch to that?
    i don't have a particular problem with how Vanilla Blue looks, but i associate it with things going wrong, since that's when i most often see it.
    So the Flag button is in a different place depending on whether you have a signature or not, and if you have a signature, depending on whether or not the post has been edited.
  • it's fun when it happens
    It may be better to put signatures back on the bottom; it seems like 2.1 inserts all kinds of extra crap in the header whenever it feels like it and the signature just gets in the way. :P
  • butt signatures on top makes them look like titles, which is why they were better
    i liked how signatures looked when they were at the bottom of posts, FWIW.
  • edited 2014-11-30 04:24:52
    If signatures are at the bottom of posts, then I will request that sig images be disabled.  Because they make signatures more annoying to skim past.

Right now, at least the signatures are to the right of the userpic, so visually it doesn't conflict with the post.