Upgrading to Vanilla 2.1

Comments

• agreed on that
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    :<
    Although if we switch to Vanilla Blue my sig image will clash anyway, so i might as well lose it.
  • i meant agreed on removing sig images if sigs move to the bottom of posts
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    FWIW, I think the signatures look alright in proportion to the posts as they are right now.
  • i like sigs a lot as they are now too
  • edited 2014-11-30 04:30:24
    one thing I liked about TVT's forum system, as well as Vanilla, was that it didn't have bottom-of-post signatures.

I'd gotten really, really sick of sig images.

they're funny or nifty the first time, perhaps interesting a few more times after that, but thereafter they're just something to gloss past, and to take up bandwidth to load.
  • sig images on like the bottom of posts are the most annoying things
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Autistic Avenue would prefer it if the "Flag" button and IP address were above the sig instead of below, but if everyone else is fine with the way it is, I'm not gonna whine.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I guess I shouldn't... yeah, that's way too 2006.
    The only thing i dislike about the signatures being where they are is that it means the Flag button gets moved.
  • yeah same

is there a way to move the flag button next to the quote button?
  • I'm okay with the Flag button being misplaced.

Makes this pad look more quaint and gives it character, I say.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    naney said:

yeah same

is there a way to move the flag button next to the quote button?

Man, I kept accidentally flagging posts when we had it like that.
  • edited 2014-11-30 04:35:05

i kept accidentally clicking flag but i don't think i ever actually accidentally flagged something because you have to type out a reason for the flagging and then submit it
    OTOH, having the flag button move about could be confusing to newbies.

Also, i just dislike the inconsistency.
  • I think we should ideally put the Flag link after the gear icon, so it can't be confused with Quote.

Actually, we should just unpack the gear icon completely, like it used to be.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I'd have to hack Vanilla itself to fix that :/ It's doable, but it'll make upgrades funky later on.
  • Can we disable response boxes except on last page?  If the forum's gonna have that bug where you can "skip" a bunch of pages and post anyway.
  • edited 2014-11-30 04:43:35
    kill living beings
    sorry if this has been mentioned but the config page says I don't have permission to have a signature.

Oh. I have a signature anyway. I'm such a rebel.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    ...I don't have permission to have a signature either. How bizarre.
    You have a signature, you just don't have permission to change it.

Hope you like being not a Katawa Shoujo reference.

I think we should ideally put the Flag link after the gear icon, so it can't be confused with Quote.

Actually, we should just unpack the gear icon completely, like it used to be.

i'm guessing that, as a mod, you see a gear icon on every post?  Regular users see the icon only on our own posts, and we're unlikely to be flagging those...
    Okay, I added a new event to Vanilla and now the signatures look right.
  • edited 2014-11-30 04:48:53
    I guess so.

Well, the gear only appears when I mouse over a post.

That said, the gear only contains Edit and Delete for me, so I presume it only contains Edit for you.  Which makes it pretty pointless, and just there to make me have to do an additional cursor-move and an additional click to do an edit.
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-11-30 04:49:25
    I'm more of a "signatures on top" guy too. Because let's face it, how else would you guys know that I Steam platformers? :P

I guess the only quirk would be finding a decent way to make it work across the board.
    Yes, from a user perspective i'm not sure what's gained from the vanishing gear.

All it does is make editing your post slightly less intuitive if you're new to the site.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Would this application of the 2.0 Blue make the forum look more like it used to?
    i am entirely happy with how signatures look at present.
    Agreed.
    It would seem that YouTube videos are click-to-load now, which should help with pages that have zillions of them.
  • Holy shit, the thread DOES NOT UPDATE AT ALL when you post.

EVEN IF YOU'RE ON THE LAST PAGE.

this forum system must be anti-pirate, because it is clearly pro-ninja
    There used to be an option that would allow posts to appear the second they were made - it was called "live updating" - but it seems to be gone now. It would help...
    Also, I know this is a lot of requests, but could you make it so that the PM text begins under the avatars again? It currently begins next to them and it looks awkward...

Holy shit, the thread DOES NOT UPDATE AT ALL when you post.

EVEN IF YOU'RE ON THE LAST PAGE.

this forum system must be anti-pirate, because it is clearly pro-ninja

• edited 2014-11-30 05:26:04
    could we remove the bolding from the /me statements?  they're kinda obnoxious being extra-bold and extra-huge like that.

and in general just make formatted (and formattable) like normal posts?
    we could just not use the "/me" statements
  • TachyonTachyon
    objects to this proposal on the grounds that the "/me" statements are rad.
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    /me objects to this proposal on the grounds that the "/me" statements are rad.
  • actually, putting them inline in the post but basically auto-prefixing them with one's username replacing "/me" would probably work best.

For example, "/me does something" becoming:

glennmagusharvey does something
  • I think they'd be cool if we could tweak how they work to something manageable. They do seem a bit obnoxious as is (which is presumably why MJ's uncomfortable with 'em).
    i don't want to use them if they're seriously making MJ uncomfortable, but i was having fun with them.
    Tachyon said:

i don't want to use them if they're seriously making MJ uncomfortable, but i was having fun with them.

• We can do anything if we do it together.

Tachyon said:

• edited 2014-11-30 05:40:13
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I've also got a thing of my own to say:

Is there any way that you could make the page numbers bigger?

It's kinda hard to actually use them for their intended purpose at the size they're at now.
  • also could you make the /me text the same size as the normal post text?
    Done and done.
    Rad.
  • edited 2014-11-30 05:53:28
    Awesome!  Thanks!

...now I would ask for them to be formattable like normal posts but that would probably just get really hairy...and also take away from their very simple, IRC-like nature.

Awesome!  Thanks!

...now I would ask for them to be formattable like normal posts but that would probably just get really hairy...and also take away from their very simple, IRC-like nature.

That would also probably require more than simple CSS tweaks, too...