Rambling about TV history

12346»

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    lolololol Hardee's used "All Kinds of Good Stuff" as their tagline at one point

Hardee's: We Sell Food or Something
  • edited 2017-01-03 17:38:51
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    MORE MENTAL FLOTSAM FOUND

Specifically, it's a commercial for a TV rental place in Maryland, and that last part of the jingle has been floating around in my head without a tether for 30+ years.
    ABC was seriously into trolling the Reagan administration, it seems like, though that's not the reason I posted that here, uheheheheh thisisfine.jpg
  • edited 2017-01-24 04:54:44
    Hmm...I notice that the Operation Prime Time logo never seems to have gotten plastered with later logos like Rysher-TPE or 2929. The CLG says that Paramount got the rights for the older stuff, though I have to wonder if that's true for all OPT/TPE holdings or just Hogan's Heroes.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    What the fuck is even in the Rysher library anyway?
    From what i can tell, the Bing Crosby Productions library (including the movies they made in the 1970s after the Cox buyout) and the part of the OPT/TPE schedule they produced themselves (and wasn't acquired from outside producers) makes up a large part of it. I know Rysher made a few series during the 1990s, but hell if I can remember what they are off the top of my head.
    They also had the distribution rights to Saved by the Bell for ages, though I think new prints for local TV are being handled by NBC themselves.
    Hmmmm, apparently the early episodes of Ironside were copyrighted by "Harbour-UTV". Something tells me this was supposed to be "Harbour-Vue".
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    lee4hmz said:

And today in more "TV history I've been trying to find leads on for years, but hadn't gotten anywhere until now":

I remember being mystified by the old kids' series Big Blue Marble. Not because I remembered the show, really (it was just a teensy bit before my time),but because 1) I remember seeing the intro someplace, and noting that it was sponsored by former industrial giant ITT 2) its production house, Alphaventure/The Blue Marble Company, was mentioned several times in the back of Total Television in the awards section. 

As in the other thread, here's where it gets weird. 

After doing some spelunking on YouTube, and cross-referencing it to credits on IMDB, it would seem The Blue Marble Company was Robert Wiemer's baby. He also produced a few TV movies in the 1980s, and the rights to Big Blue Marble seem to have reverted to him. It also turns out that one "Richard Berman" was a producer on Marble, and yes, it's exactly who you think it is. Turns out Wiemer directed a few episodes of TNG as well. XD
    wait wait wait wait wait a second

is that where ITT Tech (rip in pieces you motherfucker) got its name from?
    Yup, they were a division of ITT the conglomerate for a long time, and then continued using the name under license until their demise.
    Oddly enough, one of their competitors around here, the Computer Learning Centers, was owned by Airco/BOC Gases for a while. Strange bedfellows indeed.

It seems like how good a '90s sitcom was is inversely proportional to how many naff Video Toaster effects they use in the intro. :O 
    Also, I can't seem to find any information on whether The Program Exchange actually still exists. Zenith Media didn't put out a press release about it, and I haven't found anything yet saying that NBCU got General Mills' rights to the Total TeleVision and Jay Ward shows (the entire reason the Exchange exists).
    (yeah, programexchange.com mysteriously disappeared, but that may not mean that much)
    OKAY WHAT IS THIS PIANO NOODLING

I swear I heard it in a commercial in the early 1980s and I've never been able to find the source. It sounds a bit like a variation on Tubular Bells, but it could be stock music, I don't know.
    OH HEY MORE MENTAL FLOTSAM - this time, it's the early 1980s Safeway tag. 

There are quite a few other goodies in that reel, including an old WDCA Mini-Fax and a Bain de Soleil commercial with the old jingle. Also, I'm pretty sure that's Mark Elliott on those Finger Pop Poppers ads. 
    THIS IS TV YOU MUST SEE!!!

HOLY CRAP A CARE BEARS LAUNCH AD

It's for the cards and not the toys, but still!
  • edited 2017-02-26 04:29:47
    This PSA at the end of what was apparently a Very Special Episode of 90210 seems soooooo quaint and preachy now. We've come a long, long way regarding sex positivity since 1992—they plug abstinence front and center, since I'm sure the evangelicals would have screamed bloody murder otherwise, but now I doubt anyone would care because we all know what safe sex is.
    And I also feel like the early 1980s seem less dated and awkward than the early 1990s do now. It may be because I felt awkward in 1992, but also because you can see little remnants of the late 1980s (MC Hammer, some of the styles) mixing with things that would come to define the 1990s, and it is bizarre.
    Thought: People have been able to dig up photographic evidence of pretty much every Viacom logo in existence, as well as the the original animated CBS EYE, the CBS In Color ident, and the Evil Eye. But no one seems to have found any trace of a predicted 1968-1971 CBS Enterprises logo. I have to wonder if the on-air logo just doesn't exist, or if CBS Enterprises only had a print logo and used the Evil Eye on air.
    Likewise, there's only a few things to indicate that CBS Films existed, like the end credits of The Whirlybirds.
  • edited 2017-04-03 16:28:18
    1950s TV show intros are weird. Everyone was lily-white, drove huge cars, and apparently smoked like chimneys.