Rambling about TV history

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    No, it's a tape I made when I was trying to collect logos....looks like there's a bit of the Christmas 2002 SNL at the beginning, too.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    oh
    Oh wow, MeTV actually ran a public-domain episode of Daniel Boone instead of getting it from Fox. I wonder why.

Also, it would seem The Big Valley was published before 1978 without a copyright notice...that would explain why MeTV's prints have a Simpsons-esque copyright card tacked on after the Four Star logo.
  • edited 2015-01-12 06:09:29
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Intdresting. COZI is running the 1992 colorized prints of Zorro, but there's no distributor logo at the end (neither the Buena Vista castle nor DADT).
    I understand the business logic behind it, but it's irksome to me that live-action seems to be "sure, whatever" but animation is tightly guarded

You never see the Hanna-Barbera stuff turn up on places like Hub Network (when that was still around) or on those retro subchannel networks
    but then again, WB was perfectly happy to loan out the DCAU (which included such premium franchises as Batman!) to Hub Network, for whatever reason
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    What is the business logic behind it?
    Animation is central to the brand they want to put forth. It's much easier to make it distinctive than live-action, which is why you've never seen 101 Dalmatians: The Series turn up on Hub Network scheduled in the middle of the afternoon
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    and yet i remember GMTV were able to show a mix of Nickelodeon cartoons, CN cartoons, Disney cartoons and 4kids anime dubs

odd
    I think things work differently in the UK than they do in the US

American TV is really kind of crap, the cable channels here tend to focus on mini-marathons of shows that aren't more than five years old (barring long runners like SpongeBob, which, once Nickelodeon's crown jewel, has become a disease slowly killing the channel)

Even Boomerang is moving away from the Hanna-Barbera back catalog it was created to be a "retirement home" for
    The Flintstones, once Hanna-Barbera's signature property, seems to be gradually fading from there

I expect it to be either completely gone from the schedule or relegated to late nights within three years
    I would not be surprised if most people born in the last 10-15 years knew the characters entirely from the vitamins and Pebbles cereal

We'll see how the WWE movie goes, I guess
    Heh, someone mentioned Kate & Allie on a blog I follow. I still ship those two, and the lovey-dovey theme song that totally makes it sound like they're dating sure doesn't help.
    oh hey, ABC took its 1978-1979 promo tune from a pop song as well

and yes, the Oak Ridge Boys were signed to ABC Records at the time
  • edited 2015-02-15 05:59:46
    Okay, dammit, it seems that march/fanfare Real People used as its theme song is stock music of some sort. I just heard that exact same track in the Albert Brooks film in the middle of the first episode of Saturday Night Live (which NBC is rerunning at the moment). Now I'm wondering where it came from...being that was 1975, it'd have had to be APM, Capitol or DeWolfe. I don't think Bruton existed yet.
    Also, holy hell dat Pro-Soloist in Billy Preston's second song. It was easily a good 6-8 years ahead of its time with those monosynth riffs in it.
    YAY THEY LEFT THE SNAKE ON AT THE END

It was an in-credit snake, but still!
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079724/

I only know about this thing because Eric S. posted the tail end of the credits on his YouTube channel. This is so totally an unsold pilot, it hurts; the plot screams "Love Boat ripoff".
    Speaking of Eric S.: Holy hell, he found the Coca-Cola Sunburst!

• and it has the 1993 jingle

weird
    Yeah. Also, I think people were expecting it to have the 1982 "A unit of The Coca-Cola Company" tag instead of mentioning CCT.
    When I was little, I was used to Merrie Melodies shorts playing "Merrily We Roll Along" twice because of the AAP logo. i have to wonder if the post-1948 LT/MMs even circulated back then; it seems just about everyone had the AAP/UAA (pre-1948) ones, but the later ones and the made-for-TV stuff from the 1970s/1980s was confined to CBS and ABC for a long time.
  • WB selling off any of their cartoons in the first place is the sort of thing that would never happen today, but in those days Bugs Bunny and the other Looney Tune stars were not considered "brands"

I know WB needed the money (Paramount sold off its library too and they were even more desperate; it is a testament to their continual punishment for being even meaner than the other studios that they've never managed to grab it back from the 50 owners MCA/Universal has had over the years) but still
  • edited 2015-03-29 06:24:47
    Speaking of MCA...it seems like MCA released some utter crap back in the 1980s, when they first started doing first-run. It seems like a lot of their schedule was bad CanCon sitcoms, bad American sitcoms that just happened to be CanCon-ish, shitty remakes of past glories (a Dragnet revival and The Munsters Today), or weird game shows (one of which, Puttin' On the Hits, seemed like it was trying its best to compete with Solid Gold and Star Search). 

Action Pack was actually a step up.
    oh my god: 

they forgot the new version of the SPT logo that starts with the Sony logo before the "O" shines and expands into the SPT logo
  • edited 2015-04-04 04:52:29
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    aka the "You Can Have Sony Pictures When You Pry It From Our COLD, DEAD HANDS" version
    Hmmm, interesting....I'd half-forgotten about this. The original theme for The Magical World of Disney was based on "A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes" from Cinderella, not the usual "When You Wish Upon a Star" (which was only used at the end). It seems some prints of the 1988-1990 intro use the 1986 Disney Sunday Movie theme instead.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    lee4hmz said:

oh my god: 

every time I think I've become too autistic someone more autistic comes along and puts things in perspective
    that thing is great, I swear
    Usually I get annoyed with people's half-assed attempts to recreate classic motion graphics, but...it's GoAnimate. 
    Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in my thread, but: 

The first song in that training video, after the logo, was everywhere at one point in the late 1980s/early 1990s; I particularly remember a swimming pool company that advertised on Richmond TV that used it in their ads. 

Turns out it's clean enough to Shazam. XD It's "Shooting Stars" from Network Music.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    lee4hmz said:

Usually I get annoyed with people's half-assed attempts to recreate classic motion graphics, but...it's GoAnimate. 

i liked the ones with people because it made it feel so half-assed it looped around to full-assed
    . o O { the Home Improvement theme is just the Roseanne theme played faster, and with slightly different instrumentation }
    ahahaha the Conners are drinking Shasta
    lee4hmz said:

. o O { the Home Improvement theme is just the Roseanne theme played faster, and with slightly different instrumentation }

and both shows are owned by ABC Warner now

ooo
    Oh wow, I was just watching the Wednesday's Child segment on WRC, and it turns out they are still using parts of Working for You...in this case, a snatch of the long News4 Today close, probably my favorite cut in the package. ^_^
    (the cut that begins at about 1:18 in the demo reel on SouthernMedia)
  • edited 2015-06-04 04:42:12

Okay, I recognise the terminals the "Disney Channel Operators" are using. Those are the Hazeltine/Esprit terminals CableData DDP/SQL used to use...that was the cable billing system everyone used back in the day. When my mom was working dispatch at Jones back in the 1990s, that was what she used.
    The parents had it on MeTV last night, and I noticed that their prints of Black Sheep Squadron have the 1997 Universal Worldwide Television logo on them, instead of one of the 1975-1991 logos. 

Universal almost never retags anything from the Revue or MCA eras, so this was a bit of a shock.
    it's so awful that Universal is owned by COMCAST now
    Wow, that thing is pretty 90s. Also, I remember being upset when it premiered because I missed the old "mosaic" ident from the late 1980s/early 1990s.
    Watching older episodes of Law & Order is weird because you can tell who some of their sponsors were. All the computers were IBMs, and the phones make AT&T Merlin/Partner rings.
  • edited 2015-06-14 00:30:23
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    lee4hmz said:

Wow, that thing is pretty 90s. Also, I remember being upset when it premiered because I missed the old "mosaic" ident from the late 1980s/early 1990s.

I don't have any memories of it from when it was actually in use but I've always loved the sheer datedness of the "The Remote Stops Here" identity

The "America's Favorite Cable Network" stuff was pretty nice too, and age has been kinder to it than the TRSH identity
    "Saturn: A different kind of company. A different kind of car." General Motors wearing a mask.
    yup
  • An ID for a network that would one day become one of the foremost purveyors of Gritty Cable Dramas:

I don't even remember what FX's gimmick was then.
  • Interactive TV in addition to being Fox's answer to Nick at Nite, I think