A Music Discussion Heap of The Heapers' Hangout Forum [NO EMBEDS]

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

speaking of deafheaven and other musicians

Zardonic said:

What's with all the hate? I find this pretty similar to Enslaved. I think it's actually the shoegazers and hipsters who don't understand what they're listening to. This is black metal, love it or loathe it. The only difference is the chords. I'm hearing a lot of major 7ths here as opposed to the usual minor 3rds and diminished 5ths. And that, in my book, makes it interesting enough.

Perhaps you need a bit of Ved Buens Ende, Virus, Enslaved, Shining and Agalloch to understand where this sound truly comes from.

Zardonic sums up my feelings on things
    Oh, I'd say there are plenty of bitchy metal purist types who think it's not kvlt enough - I've run into several; they are annoying - but the other side definitely has its own contingent of people who aren't getting the reference points.
  • Just got back from seeing Les Miserables on Broadway. Man, that was a hell of a show. I really wish I could go back and see it again.
  • edited 2014-06-11 00:30:39
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Since you all know your music, I figure I'd bring my questions here. I'm looking for more people like Jean Michel Jarre. I have enjoyed everything I've listened to by him, but the standouts are: Magnetic Fields (especially Part 1), Oxygène (Parts II through IV sticking out), "Industrial Revolution" from Revolutions the most, and "Whispers of Life" of Interior Music. If it matters at all, I really didn't like Équinoxe compared to the rest. I like dance music, though my closest references are some of Kesha, really.

I also enjoy the entire soundtrack for The World Ends With You, though it's made up of a lot of different people (which might not be too helpful), and I'm not sure if listening to other works Ishimoto's been involved with would help.

I can list off more music talk tickles my fancy if it helps. Sorry about this not being a very detailed post, I'm not big into music, and am still trying to just learn how all sorts of stuff work, so doing so is fairly out of my reach at this point in time.

I'm also checking out relevant people in the Wikipedia articles for the albums I mentioned, like Gershon Kingsley for example, but again I figure you all would know where I should look.
  • Tangerine Dream is rather like JMJ
    The aforementioned Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Ash Ra Tempel, Manuel Gottsching and perhaps Cluster, NEU! and Harmonia should be to your liking.
  • ya tangerine dream was gonna be my response and 2 people beat me to that, but for real listen to tangerine dream. cluster is also a good shout

kraftwerk is also a hugely obvious one, if you havent delved into their discography already

and if you want a similar sound but perhaps with a focus away from the german krautrock aesthetic then the output of some of the ghost box label might be up your street, try this Advisory Circle track for instance
  • re metal discussion: deafheaven is alright but i think theres a lot of fuss made about them for what they are. i'd prefer stuff like the amesoeurs album, and most of the influences listed by zardonic, etc. over deafheaven

i havent listened to much lately but a cracking metal release that i only just discovered is Mare's self-titled ep. the only thing they ever recorded but it is the bomb
  • that is the canadian mare, not the norwegian mare, btw. why do so many metal bands have the same names
  • i like deafheaven because they're kinda like a midwestern screamo band trapped in the body of a black metal band and that's a fun combo that i like
  • though as "hipster black metal" bands go Krallice is the best

or WITTR if people still think WITTR is a hipster band idk
    sunn wolf said:

that is the canadian mare, not the norwegian mare, btw. why do so many metal bands have the same names

relatedly, the Shining that Zardonic was talking about there was most likely the DSBM band, not the weird jazz one
  • WITTR released a new album recently, it sounds well up my street but i haven't listened yet, here's a cool and good review of it http://lastrit.es/reviews/7329/wolves-in-the-throne-room-celestite
  • it's on bandcamp fwiw

Wolves in the Throne Room are: 
    Nathan Weaver: Vocals, Guitars, Synthesizer, Broken Mellotron, Field Recordings. 
    Aaron Weaver: Drums, Guitar, Percussion, Korg Polysix, Korg Mono/Poly, Field recordings. 
  • also speaking of screamo influenced black metal Cara Neir are dope
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    It is a shame Prince is a crazy man who hates the internet, because otherwise I could post videos of songs of his I like.
  • So...

To Be Kind lives up to its hype.

Big time.

Possibly the best Swans album since Swans Are Dead, or if we're only counting studio albums than since Soundtracks for the Blind at least. Easily in the top five of their releases. It is basically perfect, at least in the second half, which is wall-to-wall all-time great songs.
  • This is certainly something

the attached EP is good regardless of any secret alter ego weirdness.
    So, Sunn Wolf, what are your thoughts on Nocturnal Emissions? I am currently listening to Spiritflesh, which is why I ask.
  • my thoughts on nocturnal emissions is that i remember being q impressed by some of their stuff a couple years ago but havent got much further w/ them? something i should revisit probably

anyway i came in here to say that the new ben frost album is real good. bye
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Section, since you liked Miles Davis' Bitches Brew, I think you'd be interested in his A Tribute to Jack Johnson as well. It's a continuation of that sound, though not quite as dense because there are fewer musicians, and large portions of it sound more like rock than like jazz.
    Great LP. Listened to it on vinyl with two of my friends while I was stone sober and they were high as kites and I ended up dancing across the hardwood in my socks and going into this weird monologue about how I visualised the music as a kind of celestial haunted ballroom.

It was a good night.
  • Hunger Pangs is dope
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    ^^^ Thanks for the recommendation. That album is on my list now.

For now though, I'm listening to The Jesus & Mary Chain's Psychocandy. 

They were very obviously inspired by the Velvet Underground songs "Sunday Morning" and "White Light/White Heat", but I love those songs and I dig the sound that results from combining them.
    Currently listening to a compilation of musicians produced by Joe Meek. A big ball of surf, rockabilly, and 50s pop, with just enough otherworldly production that the tracks from Meek's pet project, I Hear a New World, don't sound out of place at all.

The Fabulous Flee-Rakers have a track named "Green Jeans". It's a rockabilly cover of "Greensleeves" and it's so stupid it's beautiful.
    ^^ I prefer their earliest, ugliest stuff like "Suck" and to a lesser extent some of their later work, but that's still a solid LP.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    Does anyone else ends up having non-existing music playing in their dreams?
    Yeah, I've had that happen a few times. Once it was a reggae song with really, really, really long horn solos. Another time, it was 16 Horsepower's cover of "Wayfaring Stranger", but rearranged as a big band swing number.
    I have non-existent music play in my dreams every now and again, and I always wake up wishing that it were real. Sort of like how Jhonn Balance talked about trying to make a song that sounded like a dream that he had had of The Butthole Surfers' music before ever having actually heard the band.
  • Byakuren said:

Does anyone else ends up having non-existing music playing in their dreams?

this is allegedly how Aphex Twin creates his music, so you are not alone
  • edited 2014-06-19 09:03:30
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    I wish that music was real too.

Not often you hear something that sounds like GY!BE + Igorrr + Tera Melo

I ain't a musician unfortunately.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I'm listening to old Michael and Janet Jackson tracks (Rhythm Nation 1814 and Dangerous era, with a bit of earlier stuff mixed in).
  • edited 2014-06-19 10:12:54
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I really want to know what gear Teddy Riley used on "Remember the Time", since I love the instrumentation in it. I know he performed it solo for American Greed using just a V.Synth and a talkbox...
    Byakuren said:

I wish that music was real too.

Not often you hear something that sounds like GY!BE + Igorrr + Tera Melo

I ain't a musician unfortunately.

Being a musician is way easier than people make it out to be. It's all about time and a passion for self-improvement.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    When I tried composing it was like trying to play with playdough with mittens
    Then try to compose something else and work your way up to that.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    Prepare your ears then. U_U
  • download a crack of FL Studio and fool around.
  • edited 2014-06-19 18:12:11
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ Hehehehe.

^ That's not a bad idea, actually.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    Last time I was composing I was using a tracker..
    Now I'm listening to "Pump Up the Jam" of all things. Again, I really want to know where that bass line came from. It's too harsh to be Moog bass, but too gooey to be a 303, so I'm betting it's a DX7 or something FM-ish.
  • edited 2014-06-19 20:33:55

the basic sound is redolent of a simple square pluck that you can get out if any analog synth, but with a fuckton of unison which i'm pretty sure is something you can only get with an analog modeling synth or FM, most likely a DX-21 given the time period.
  • HA i did the google and it seems that i was right.
  • (*does the funky duck dance*)
    Good detective work, lover!

*smooch of congratulations*
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Should I explore Hall and Oates outside of their singles?
    Naney: I remember an Oberheim Matrix-12 being mentioned in the liner notes, and I think it had some pretty wild modulation capabilities, but it's still an analog polysynth at its heart. So yeah, either that or a DX series.
    Welp, this is a distressing move.

I think this is pretty important...
    That would be utterly terrible if it went through.
  • Written in a very alarmist tone.

It'd be awful if it did happen but I'd prefer to save my outrage for if it actually does, and I don't think it will.
  • really liking TNT so far

anyone have any more cool post-rock for me to check out? Longform electronica in the vein of The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraverse is cool too.