A Music Discussion Heap of The Heapers' Hangout Forum [NO EMBEDS]

Comments

• Currently enjoying Jake "virt" Kaufman's standalone chiptune albums, FX3 and FX4.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Now I'm listening to Stereolab's Sound-Dust. From the period where the music critics just collectively stopped giving a crap about Stereolab. This is really good stuff.

destroy_all_music_critics.exe
    How much is a white guy who's never been to Jamaica and doesn't smoke weed allowed to like reggae? Whatever that amount is, I think I've exceeded it.
    Pleasantly shocked to find a copy of Pepe Deluxé's BEATitude at the local used music store. Listening to it, I can recognize a lot of the ingredients that went into Queen of the Wave (AOTY 2012, NEVA 4GET); they're just not mixed quite as well here. The whole thing just feels like a collection of songs, not an album. Good songs, though.
  • edited 2014-05-27 19:50:36
    I only got Solange's music after she beat up Jay-Z. Should I feel guilty about this.

^ I have a hard time finding any of their albums that aren't Queen of the Wave.

^^ Depends on whether you listen to modern reggae.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I really like bluegrass you guys.

Depends on whether you listen to modern reggae.

Old and modern, about evenly mixed.
  • I really like bluegrass you guys.

Any groups in particular that you really like? I don't really know much about Bluegrass outside of the few old Bluegrass records my dad had, but I've found that there's some really good music and very talented musicians in Bluegrass.
  • edited 2014-05-27 22:54:47
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Gangstagrass is right now my favorite, and has been for a while, but they don't really count because that's also half-hip-hop.

Right now making my way through Union Station and Dan Tyminski's solo albums.
  • Gangstagrass is right now my favorite, and has been for a while, but they don't really count because that's also half-hip-hop.

Right now making my way through Union Station and Dan Tyminski's solo albums.
    Alright, cool. Any albums in particular that you would recommend?

Also, have you ever listened to any of Bela Fleck's stuff? If you haven't, I think you might his music enjoyable.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I don't really pay attention to albums when I start on a new artist. I just get all the music they've put out and put it on shuffle.

I just tried Bela Fleck, and I don't really like that particular sound.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Not really at all the same genre, but for some reason I think that you would do well to look into 16 Horsepower's work, as well as the frontman's stuff as Wovenhand.
    Sredni: Now this is sound that I like.

I think my issue with Bela Fleck is that the drums are too strong. I like it better when the guitars, banjos, and fiddles drive the music.
    I am glad to have been of help. Meta is more familiar with those projects than I am, but I really like their work.

Speaking ofslightly rootsy things with an interesting twist, Gastr Del Sol's Crookt Crackt Or Fly is easily one of the weirdest records that I have heard in a very long time. It basically alternates between the kind of wilfully sloppy yet deft math-rock that Trumans Water plays as performed almost entirely on acoustic guitars, and something akin to ambient industrial soundscaping with jazz instruments instead of synths, with spurts of distorted electric guitar and fierce drumming in between and more than a slight balladeering vibe.
  • edited 2014-05-28 01:09:33
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    For other bands in the jazz-meets-bluegrass style but with less prominent drums, you may like Dave Grisman, The Jazz Mandolin Project, or The Absynthe Quintet (their misspelling, not mine).

I freaking love nearly all of 16 Horsepower and Wovenhand's output, but the bluegrass influence varies quite a bit from album to album.

And speaking of Union Station... Alison Krauss recorded an album with Robert Plant, produced by T. Bone "roots-music encyclopedia" Burnett. Behold the majesty.
  • edited 2014-05-28 19:48:33
    I'd like to hear more J-pop/anisong make use of chromaticism.

...actually, I'd like to hear a lot of pop make more use of chromaticism.

Not key-change chromaticism.  Ornamental and harmonic chromaticism in general.

For starters:
    * flattened scale degree 6 in major keys, for use in minor iv chords
    * flattened scale degree 2 in minor or major keys, for Phrygian flavor (in minor) or Neapolitan flavor
    * raised scale degree 4 in major or minor keys, for that bright shining sunny day feel (major) or a jazzy feel (minor)
    Sure, these starter ideas could be used cheesily (and they have), but we'll need to have some of this before we get onto some far cooler but more complex ideas, such as:
    * augmented sixth chords (which can resolve to the dominant or other chords too)
    * simultaneous leading tone + subtonic
    * V7 with flattened fifth
    * V7 with simultaneous flattened and normal fifth
    * V7 with flattened fifth and simultaneous leading tone + subtonic
    * a bunch of colorful/expressive ideas that can come out of contrasting major and minor by tonicizing major while in minor or tonicizing minor while in major
    * a bunch of colorful/expressive ideas that can come out of contrasting the chromatic and dissonant with the diatonic and consonant
    * using temporary modulations to and from distant keys

For example: the passage from 0:09 to 0:19 in this song (please pardon the Precure vid if you're not into that stuff), "Storm" by Jam Project.
    *clears throat*

SWANS ARE IN THE MOTHERFUCKING BILLBOARD TOP 40.

• apparently the new eyehategod album is hella good

i will have to buy it in a year or two
  • *clears throat*

SWANS ARE IN THE MOTHERFUCKING BILLBOARD TOP 40.

That's awesome.

Also, found out recently that both Paul Masvidal and Sean Reinert both came out as gay publicly recently, which I did not now until a few days ago.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-c1-gay-heavy-metal-20140508-story.html#page=1
  • wow cynic is even gayer than i thought they were
    So, for someone with minimal prior exposure to Swans, is the new album a good entry point?
    MetaFour said:

So, for someone with minimal prior exposure to Swans, is the new album a good entry point?

Yes and no. It is utterly brilliant, but very intense and best experienced in context.

I would suggest The Great Annihilator first, personally.
  • addressing Odradek's post in the classical-ish thread:

i have no clue who that is!

(*le google*)

she seems like a nice enough lady. she sure can rap fast at times! but her lyrics seem rather boring, at least on this song that i'm listening to
  • also the beat seems kinda... obvious?

but as pop music goes it is nice enough.
  • Iggy is not a very notable rapper.

Apparently she's one of those people tumblr hates, idk. She provides some needed mixing up to Ariana Grande's "Problem", but that's about all.
  • I had legitimately never heard of her until just now

so i guess tumblr must not hate her all that much?
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Speaking of which Iggy Azalea is the first artist since The Beatles to get a hit in both the 1 and 2 spots of the chart at one time. Thoughts?

EDIT: Although she's only featured in the second song.
  • She doesn't get a lot of coverage, again, just because she's not very interesting. Which is sort of a shitty thing to say about a person, and not the type of thing I'd normally say, but in her case it's unfortunately rather true. I'd kind of file her into the same place as Flo Rida and Pitbull, honestly. Functional, but not something I could sit through an album of.

(though I've argued before that Pitbull is a better rapper than people give him credit for, but nevermind that right now)

I say tumblr hates her only because I've seen a number of posts (by which I mean somewhere from 6-10) deriding her apparent racism. She's one of those people who thinks white people are discriminated against in the rap industry, which is probably the only thing she has in common with Haystak.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I say this because this might be a thing where a person is secretly more interesting than you think.

Apparently it is not.
  • edited 2014-05-29 17:59:39
    We can do anything if we do it together.

MetaFour said:

Yes and no. It is utterly brilliant, but very intense and best experienced in context.

Dear recommended their drone-popish stuff to me a while ago. This included that album, White Light on the Edge of Infinity, and Love of Life. I enjoy that stuff (plus some of Soundtracks for the Blind) more than what I've heard of their earlier or later output, but I recognize I'm in the minority with that viewpoint.
    White people aren't actively discriminated against in the rap industry in a meaningful way, but there is a somewhat uncomfortable tendency among some fans (again, see Tumblr) to get more up in arms about stupid shit that white rappers say than stupid shit that, say, black or Latino rappers say. It's a very 90's attitude that has somehow survived into the present day under the auspices of combating white privilege or whatever and it's honestly really stupid.
  • edited 2014-05-29 17:54:43
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

MetaFour said:

Dear recommended their drone-popish stuff to me a while ago. This included that album, White Light on the Edge of Infinity, and Love of Life. I enjoy that stuff (plus some of Soundtracks for the Blind) more than what I've heard of their earlier or later output, but I recognize I'm in the minority with that viewpoint.
    White Light and The Great Annihilator are basically perfect, and Love of Life contains several of my favourite later tracks of theirs, including one of the best love songs out there, period ("Her").

That said, picking favourites is hard.
  • edited 2014-05-29 18:05:01
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    For what it's worth, I second your recommendation to Meta for the first Swans album he should listen to.

The Great Annhilator has both the intensity of their industrial stuff and the tenderness of their drone-pop stuff. It makes for a pretty nicely unique combination in their discography.

MetaFour said:

Best experienced in context? Comparable to how The Age of Adz is improved by knowing how it's the culmination of all Sufjan's prior albums?
  • edited 2014-05-29 18:29:53
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    It depends on if you agree with the thesis you're positing - I prefer to think of All Delighted People or even the lunacy of Silver and Gold in those terms, although "Age of Adz", "I Want To Be Well" and "The Impossible Soul" are indeed glorious - but yes, in a way that is correct. To understand what importance To Be Kind has in Swans' discography, you should be familiar with their last studio and live albums before first dissolving (Soundtracks for the Blind and Swans Are Dead) as well as with the albums that immediately preceded it (The Seer and, to a lesser extent, the two-disc version of My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky - which, incidentally, takes its title from a song that ended up on To Be Kind). It is a very ambitious, very powerful album.
    Speaking of bluegrass, the prior weekend I picked up In Sacred Trust by Hobart Smith (published by Smithsonian Folkways). Finally got around to listening to it now. It's old-time music (i.e. not bluegrass per se, but the American folk tradition that bluegrass evolved directly from) and nice stuff. Solo banjo, solo guitar, solo fiddle, and so on.
  • White people aren't actively discriminated against in the rap industry in a meaningful way, but there is a somewhat uncomfortable tendency among some fans (again, see Tumblr) to get more up in arms about stupid shit that white rappers say than stupid shit that, say, black or Latino rappers say. It's a very 90's attitude that has somehow survived into the present day under the auspices of combating white privilege or whatever and it's honestly really stupid.

White rappers being under greater scrutiny makes perfect sense to me, but maybe I am too far deep into the issue to have a proper perspective on it. Though I will say that white rappers tend to sometimes get treated....oddly, by hip-hop press. Like that one time when that interviewer kept trying to get Yelawolf to say the n word.
    That is a serious dick move right there.
  • Though if I recall the interviewer himself was also white, so he had no real place to be asking the questions he was in the first place.

I don't have the video on hand though so I may be misremembering.
  • so the fall of troy got back together
  • glad to hear thomas erak got over his crippling fear of time signatures and can now get back to making albums that arent as good as doppelganger
  • as long as they are not as bad as In The Unlikely Event im ok with that
    So, I'm currently listening to "Body & Blood" from clipping.'s new LP, and... yeah, damn. Not sure that I've heard anyone tackle the "black widow" serial killer theme from that particular angle, and Daveed Diggs' flow has improved pretty significantly. "Work Work" is also really fun, although not *quite* on the same level.

I look forward to hearing this LP.
  • that hardstyle kick tho
  • edited 2014-06-02 19:21:27

ahahahaha Snipes you clever bastard
  • i am now in possession of Fear Factory's Demanufacture and Enya's Watermark.
  • Downloaded and printed the score of Stanchinsky's E-flat minor piano sonata.  Now to find time to go to the practice rooms.
  • DID YOU KNOW: Fear Factory performed at the 2012 Gathering of the Juggalos
    Not surprised, although I do not consider than an automatic mark against them.

Note the word "automatic," though.