Best and Worst Disney Animated Features

1235»

Comments

• ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Tachyon said:

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with movies about cows.  i have not seen that particular movie about cows so i cannot say whether it is good or not, although i am not an urbanite in any case so i don't know who you mean by 'you people'.  Can't we just let our opinions stand by themselves?

Sorry.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Anonus said:

Haven't seen it yet

but remember, Disney owns the X-Men so that's fine :P
    It's really not. There was no intrinsic reason for the Snow Queen to be treated like Rogue. Her parents forced her to hide her power with gloves, but when she revealed it, all their subjects were happy with it. So the theme of rejection by normal people was absent. The purpose of a screenplay is to tell a good story, not remind you of other things the corporate owner owns.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    ":P" indicates that I am joking
  • edited 2013-12-27 18:02:26
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I saw Frozen yesterday. I really liked it a bunch for many reasons.

Two main reasons being Elsa (of course), and the fact that this movie was both familiar (all the stupid songs, all the colorful characters that you see and hear for once and never appear again), and yet absolutely uncharted territory (multiple protagonists, treating a kind of love that isn't romance to be just as powerful and magical). 

Especially that last one. I don't think they've ever done that, I don't think.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    It's called storge. And it would have been a good moral if they didn't contrast it against eros by makig Hans a mustache-twirling villain in a film that claims to be inspired by Hans Andersen. I almost threw up in my mouth when that plot twist hit.
  • Mr. Darcy said:

I almost threw up in my mouth when that plot twist hit.

i think this is a weeeee bit of an overreaction

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    would it kill you guys to use spoiler tags?

lately they've been giving their movies titles other than those of the source material, which i think is an effort to show they're not straight adaptations, rather original stories inspired by the fairy tales

but Disney have never been known for faithful adaptations; there is no dragon in the traditional Sleeping Beauty
  • edited 2013-12-27 20:26:25
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    No, it needed to be contrasted with eros. That's what the film is trying to make you do; set up the sisterly relationship, try and distract you from that by introducing two strapping young men as romantic leads, and then turn it all the way back again. What we feel going through the movie mirrors what Anna is currently experiencing. And if you were paying attention (which admittedly I wasn't the first time around), you'd notice that Hans was no good.

Tachyon: I think it's because like...they're trying to trick boys to see the movie? Because apparently boys wouldn't see a movie with a girl's name in the title? That's why they did it with Tangled. Dumb, though.
    if so, that is dumb

but i doubt it's entirely that, given they made The Princess and the Frog rather than The Frog Prince
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Well yes, but The Princess and the Frog was the last traditional (i.e, hand-drawn, two-dimensional, marketed to girls) Disney movie. And it apparently did not do so well.
    i suspect that poor marketing decisions were responsible

the film itself is charming
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I didn't see it. It's probably just as good as all the others.
    (2015 self)
    <Is there any hats in Frozen?
    There are quite a few hats, yes.
    I saw it

It was a lot of fun

Apparently people hate Olaf; he was less obnoxious than I figured he might be when I first saw him

Also, did anyone see Horace Horsecollar's T-shirt with Captain America's shield on it in "Get a Horse"?
    (2015 self)
    The sheer existence of Olaf makes me not want to see the movie.

How long is he in it?
    He's one of the main characters...he's in it for like 2/3 of it

He has a very funny musical number
    Let me put it this way. You know Iago? From Aladdin?

Olaf is basically Iago.
  • edited 2013-12-28 21:55:58
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)

Let me put it this way. You know Iago? From Aladdin?

Olaf is basically Iago.

So he's the best thing in the movie and is voiced by Gilbert Gottfried?

Or do you mean that he is actually a villain.
    I don't feel he's the best thing in the movie. But I'm saying that he's a comic relief character among other slightly-less capable comedic characters. And he would be really annoying, but the performance is balanced just on that razor's edge to be just acceptable, and he's consistently funny.

Olaf's in a lot of the movie, but he's not that important, and only comes into his own slightly near the end.