Best and Worst Disney Animated Features

Comments

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I also enjoyed The Great Mouse Detective
  • edited 2013-10-25 19:40:21
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

Though, the Hunchback of Notre Dame  is apparently pretty horrible.

the movie itself?

it's dark but i don't think it's bad

Sorry, I meant it's sequel. 

The first one was okay.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i have seen none of the direct to video sequels

The Lion King ones seem to be liked enough, too. Though I've seen neither. 
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    See Lion King was Hamlet with lions, yes?

Lion King 2 was Romeo and Juliet with Simba and Scar's progeny playing the titular roles respectively.

And I liked it. And it made thematic sense.

And now I want to see a Midsummer Night's Dream, Twelfth Night, Love's Labors Lost, Titus Andronicus, and Julius Caesar with lions.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    And Lion King 1 1/2 was Rosencratz and Guildenstern Are Dead with a meerkat and a warthog
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^ ...dear gods, you're right.

I really liked Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I forgot about that one, yes.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens

also i'd be VERY surprised if The Jungle Book is out of print

certainly in the UK, Kipling's books are considered classics, maybe he's not as much of a big deal in the US?

... what? Of course Kipling's books are classics in the US.
    ... OH, right. You were counting the Jungle Book as having animal protagonists (like Rikki-Tikki-Tavi).
  • My personal favourite as of now is Tangled, because of an interesting heroine. Following closely second (it was my favourite until Tangled) was Beauty and the Beast - again, because I loved the heroine, the Beast was handsome, and "befriending the monster" is one of my favourite types of plot.

The least favourite, I think, is Cinderella - for an utterly bland and passive heroine. I also wasn't too fond of Princess and the Frog - I can't exactly articulate why, but I never wanted to rewatch it. And Pocahontas is just generally weak movie
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I really enjoyed Lilo and Stitch.

I would definitely rank Sleeping Beauty higher if the main characters were at all memorable. As it stands, the villain and the animation are the best things about it (and rightfully so), followed by the musical score and the side characters.

Lilo and Stitch is good.

We showed The Little Mermaid to Lain and I was mostly indifferent until Eric got into a firckin' ship in the middle of a crazy tornado whirlwind and staked a titan sized octo-Seawitch in the god damn heart. 
  • Heh, and people accuse Eric of all things of being a shallow love interest.

He is one of the most decent Disney love interests, I'd say - definitely better than Cinderella prince :)

As for him not falling instantly for a human!Ariel - well, you know, some would say that taking advantage of a mute crazy girl would be abuse, so...
  • I still liked Aladdin...
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    That is because Aladdin is awesome, and so is Mulan btw.
    I really liked Tangled. It's one of my favorites too.

Also I don't understand why Mulan is counted amongst the princesses; she's a commoner and a soldier, the furthest thing from a princess there is.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens

Also I don't understand why Mulan is counted amongst the princesses; she's a commoner and a soldier, the furthest thing from a princess there is.
    Because she's East Asian.
    I don't understand.

Unless you mean that they placed her amongst the princess' ranks so they could say; "Hey, they're not all white!"

I don't understand.

Unless you mean that they placed her amongst the princess' ranks so they could say; "Hey, they're not all white!"

That's exactly what I mean.

• ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

You know, I don't know why The Little Mermaid doesn't get flak like Hercules. They're both well-plotted and animated films from the same era that treat the original story with no respect. And Mermaid only had two good songs.

It's a conspiracy, yo; the greco-latinate culture sphere is all against the Slavics and Nordics.  Why do you not hear of the mythologies of Russia?  And why does everyone only ever see the Theme Park versions of Scandinavian mythologies and such?

It's a conspiracy, they're trying to keep the Nordic man down, and the Slavic man, too.
  • edited 2013-10-26 15:57:24
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Also, I really liked the Disney Hunchback movie; even the sequel, no matter how much the sequel stank and had no quality; it gave Quasimodo a nice, understanding friend who liked him and could stay in the Cathedral with him.
  • I'm not sure what I'd call my least favorite.

My favorite is The Lion King. Likely mostly for nostalgia reasons, though it really is awesome (and has some gr8 songs!)
  • edited 2013-10-26 22:28:39
    I think the Lion King is one of the objectively best animated features, but death of Mufasa used to be one of the most heart-wrenching moments for me as a child, and so it is a bit difficult for me to rate it on the "pure entertainment" scale. Odd thing - I really, really, really did not mind violence and death in media, never. But that "please wake up" type of reaction from Simba always gets me.

Mulan should not be a princess - she did not even marry a prince. Besides, the whole "princess in a frilly dress" is kind of opposite of her character. That being said, I do, very much, like her as a character, and I do like that her motivations are more complex than typical for action girls

Mulan should not be a princess - she did not even marry a prince.

Her love interest is a fellow soldier, and after the Zhou dynasty, there wasn't even a warrior nobility, IIRC, It's really quite ridiculous.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    I always wished we coyld see more of Mulan's awesome Dad.
    I'm not sure what I'd call my least favorite.

My favorite is The Lion King. Likely mostly for nostalgia reasons, though it really is awesome (and has some gr8 songs!)
  • Chicken Little was always a favorite of mine as a kid, and even now I count it as a guilty pleasure of mine, though I wouldn't consider it my absolute favorite like I did.

I don't actually think I really do have a favorite film from them, though I didn't particularly remember enjoying Home on the Range very much, an anomaly considering how much I did like Lilo & Stitch and Treasure Planet before it.
    Maybe not so anomalous; i haven't seen Home on the Range, but from what i've heard it was a weaker movie than either Lilo & Stitch or Treasure Planet.
  • Chicken Little was kind of fun. Goofy and irreverent, but in a good way.

I liked the visuals for Pocahontas. I mean, as we all know, the story's terrible and inaccurate, but dangit if it didn't have the best visuals. 

And Hunchback's Hellfire was the best song.
    i liked 'Just Around the Riverbend' tbh

not more than 'Hellfire', it wasn't the best song or anything, but i did like it a lot
  • I am not too fond of Hunchback of Notre Dame, however a) Hellfire is the best song and b) Esmeralda is the prettiest female lead
    Hellfire is great but there were other good songs in that movie

i don't get why there isn't more love for The Bells of Notre Dame or God Help the Outcasts
  • I'm still judging you folks for not liking Aladdin. Aladdin was kickass.
  • I like Aladdin!
    Also, the Russian version of the cover song might be considered somewhat more racist (employing pretty much every Orientalist cliche about exotic, mysterious and violent East), but I still like it because it is badass.
    "Arabian Night! The magical East! Of vengeance and sorcery, courage and honour, palaces and sands!" "Where poison and blade spell doom for unwary, so watch out" and so on
  • Also, there is a lot of talk about unfortunate implications of Disney movies. I've found out that in order to enjoy them, I really need to turn my "progressive feminist criticism" brain off for awhile

. But anyway, how about some surprisingly fortunate implications? Watching Sleeping Beauty now, and it struck me:

So the movie advocates that a child raised by 3! women! turns out perfectly fine. Take that, opponents of same-sex parenting :)
  • But but but the East is mystical in Aladdin because every Disney setting is, to some extent, mystical. Hell, why aren't we decrying Sleeping Beauty for making European culture mystical? Because they're white?
  • Hey, I'm not decrying Aladdin. It is one of my favourites
  • Other than their rather unappealing personal characteristics (slobbering, mangy and stupid), how exactly are these poachers? Why are their attempts to feed themselves “poaching” when everything that takes place in the kingdom part of the Circle of Life. 

i never got this
  • also i found mufasa's death hilariously melodramatic and it made me laugh come at me bro
    Acererak said:

But but but the East is mystical in Aladdin because every Disney setting is, to some extent, mystical. Hell, why aren't we decrying Sleeping Beauty for making European culture mystical? Because they're white?

no, because it's a different kind of mysticism; Sleeping Beauty is true to the tone of the original fairy story, Aladdin is playing into the whole Western orientalist myth that Asian cultures are strange, illogical and barbaric

having said which, as i already said, i don't think it was deliberate racism on Disney's part, and i never said i disliked Aladdin

i guess i'm not so good at switching off the critical part of my brain
  • I felt that the Princess and the Frog wasn't really a strong movie.

Felt like a 'paint by the numbers' sort of thing.
  • Jabberwock said: Acererak said:But but but the East is mystical in Aladdin because every Disney setting is, to some extent, mystical. Hell, why aren't we decrying Sleeping Beauty for making European culture mystical? Because they're white?

no, because it's a different kind of mysticism; Sleeping Beauty is true to the tone of the original fairy story, Aladdin is playing into the whole Western orientalist myth that Asian cultures are strange, illogical and barbaric

having said which, as i already said, i don't think it was deliberate racism on Disney's part, and i never said i disliked Aladdin

i guess i'm not so good at switching off the critical part of my brain

So a pumpkin can turn into a carriage and fairies can prance about and
    that's perfectly normal and logical?

Agrabah isn't really depicted as "barbaric". If you're basing it off the first half of the movie, then well Aladdin's not the richest uy. It wouldn't make sense for a vagrant like him to be surrounded by all the advances of his era's technology.
    i'm saying the imagery derives heavily from Western stereotypical portrayals of the Middle East, that's all

do we have to have an argument about this?
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Agrabah isn't really depicted as "barbaric". If you're basing it off the
    first half of the movie, then well Aladdin's not the richest uy. It
    wouldn't make sense for a vagrant like him to be surrounded by all the
    advances of his era's technology.
    They literally had to change the opening song because it used to say "Where they cut off your ear if they don't like your face".
  • i'm saying the imagery derives heavily from Western stereotypical portrayals of the Middle East, that's all

do we have to have an argument about this?

Well, I totally see your point in that case.
  • Agrabah isn't really depicted as "barbaric". If you're basing it off the
    first half of the movie, then well Aladdin's not the richest uy. It
    wouldn't make sense for a vagrant like him to be surrounded by all the
    advances of his era's technology.
    They literally had to change the opening song because it used to say "Where they cut off your ear if they don't like your face".
    Heh, that's why I've mentioned Russian version, because it has much more references to the East being violent yet it had a free pass, somehow. And I repeat, Russian version is more badass :)
    Tangled's my favorite because I really like Rapunzel and Flynn and that horse and Mother Gothel. 

But of note are the king and queen who don't have lines, probably don't have voice acting at all, and are just two beautifully-animated individuals who just watch emote their pain and sorry, as every year their heart cracks just a little more and every year they just keep holding on to each other and cope and AAHH IT'S SO GOOD

I felt that the Princess and the Frog wasn't really a strong movie.

Felt like a 'paint by the numbers' sort of thing.
    It was very much an attempt to win back the crowd

That's probably why it felt that way