Best and Worst Disney Animated Features

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    The Lion King came out just as my existential crisis began, so I have some lingering attachment to it.

Nevertheless, its "circle of life" bullshit has always bothered me.
  • edited 2013-10-27 19:40:01
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i watched Tangled today

it's pretty great, the visuals are gorgeous

soundtrack was ok but didn't really stand out to me
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

also i found mufasa's death hilariously melodramatic and it made me laugh come at me bro

• I think it's important to remember that social progressiveness doesn't always correlate with quality.
  • edited 2013-10-27 20:15:18
    i don't think anyone thinks it necessarily does, outside tumblr

tho i could well understand somebody finding it offputting if a movie portrays a group of people to which they belong in an insulting light
  • edited 2013-10-27 20:27:30

you know what just occurred to me

Scar wouldn't have been able to help Mufasa up the cliff even if he wanted to

lions don't have opposable thumbs
    I wasn't bothered by Mufasa's demise either.

Actually, it was kind of disappointing.
    what you talking about, death by poison-in-the-ear is great
  • wet willy of utmost peril
    kill kill kill kill kill me now
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I never understood why nobody had arabic accents in Aladin; why nobody had Australian accents in The Rescuers Down Under, and why nobody had an Occitan accent in Beauty And The Beast.

But, yeah, best Disney movie ever is Rescuers Down Under.
    I'm pretty sure that one mouse in Rescuers Down Under did have an Australian accent.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    If Beauty and the Beast takes place in france, why does only one character have a french accent.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2013-10-27 22:42:15
    If you're already rendering the dialogue into English, there's rather little point using accents.  It can at least make sense in Ratatouille or something because it's not that far out of the question that the French characters are actually speaking English, but in most cases it just kind of falls into the translation itself.

Aladdin would be rather difficult with Arabic accents anyway.  Genuine Arabic accents tend to be pretty thick.

Although Disney usually doesn't avoid it for that reason, but so they can have 1-2 characters who do have an exaggerated accent and also happen to be extreme stereotypes (Lumiere, Rafiki, etc.).
  • Anyone remember Black Cauldron?
    I already asked that question
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Jeffrey Katzenberg had it edited into incomprehensibility

This coming from someone who's never watched it all the way through
    I've never seen it at all, ha ha ha

But I am intrigued by the idea of a Disney animated feature so grim it had to be edited to avoid an "R"
  • Watching the Hunchback of Notre Dame now. What I can say - I definitely under-appreciated it as a child.
    It has the best music score ever - the bells, the chanting, all of it. The music is just plain epic, and it makes the story feel epic too. Also, the Latin used in the sountrack is very appropriate (and of course I had no way of knowing that until I looked at subtitles which offered translation. Or unless I was already familiar with the lyrics in question).
    Also, Esmeralda was my childhood favourite for a reason
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens

Notre Dame songs >> Michael Bolton or Elton John

Best music of the "Disney Renaissance". Too bad it had the most tacked-on comic relief.

• What, the TOTALLY HIP gargoyles didn't do it for--yeah, they were pretty tacked on.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

I never understood why nobody had arabic accents in Aladin; why nobody had Australian accents in The Rescuers Down Under, and why nobody had an Occitan accent in Beauty And The Beast.

But, yeah, best Disney movie ever is Rescuers Down Under.

I'm pretty sure there was a mouse that had an Australian accent...though that just sort of begs the question as to why the humans didn't have one...
  • And I am still a bit crazy about Hunchback of Notre Dame.

It really loses a lot without understanding the Ominous Latin Chanting. Seen as that, it is just an epic music score. Seen with translation (or by someone familiar with the chanting in question) it turns the whole story into that of divine intervention, and an extremely badass one.

I might have gained a new favourite music genre :)

But it feels a bit wasteful to put something so game-changing there considering that it is likely to be lost to target audience.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Okay, Jake the mouse had an Australian accent, and I think that Cody had a slight Australian accent in some scenes; and George C. Scott as McLeach was so great that I can forgive his lack of Australian accent, but why none of the Australian animals had Australian accents is beyond me.

I didn't mind the Gargoyles; I mean, it would have been really cruel if Quasimodo had absolutely no friends until Esmeralda and  Feeble Doofus Phoebus.  The gargoyle named Victor was tolerable and not annoying at all; and Mary Withers is always a joy; and I can't really complain too much about a role she did as she was dying, so Laverne's okay.  Hugo, however, mister "Pour the wine and Cut!  The  Cheese!" is bleh.

Also, Laverne should have been named Marie; so they could be Victor, Marie, and Hugo.

Also, the "Feeble? Doofus?" "Phoebus" line is awesome.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I admit, as much as I profess to love Disney, I'm not all that familiar with their older films. Most of their stuff made before The Little Mermaid I haven't seen since I was a little kid...I need to fix that sometime. >_>

That said, I love Beauty and the Beast and would count it as one of my favorite movies.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    You know, we've focused a lot on their animated films.

Certainly some of their live action movies are shit gravy? 
  • BeeBee
    edited 2013-10-31 18:13:16
    If their DTV releases are considered too target-rich an environment, I'm guessing their live-action extended ads for cookie-cutter pop rock child stars would be target-supersaturated enough that you could flick the glass and see it crystallize into an amorphous mass of manufactured glitz and cliches.  At least the DTVs bothered having a story half the time.
  • Well, the title of the thread says "Animated features"
    Though I know that staying on topic seems to be frowned upon around there :)
    more that derailing is acceptable

but honestly i can't remember seeing many live action Disney films

those that i have seen were bad but not awful, with the exceptions of Mary Poppins, Bedknobs & Broomsticks and the first two Pirates films, which were good
    tho i guess there's also the question of what constitutes Disney, once you step outside the animated canon

i mean, does Touchstone count?  What about ABC?
    When I was a kid I saw one called The Watcher in the Woods. I guess it wasn't well-received but it scared the fecal matter outta me at the time.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    tho i guess there's also the question of what constitutes Disney, once you step outside the animated canon

i mean, does Touchstone count?  What about ABC?
    Disney sold ABC off in 2010

ABC could count, but they're such a non-entity brand-wise as to be an oddity within Disney.

You could count Marvel and Star Wars...
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Heh, you could count theStar Wars prequels as the same kind of live-action hybrid as Mary Poppins.
    i counted Mary Poppins as live action for that very reason
  • edited 2013-10-31 22:52:02
    i think it makes sense to distinguish between films made by Disney and Disney-owned properties, and films made by other properties which Disney subsequently acquired

maybe not that much sense, but at least insofar as when you say 'Disney movies' people might think of Pixar or of The Nightmare Before Christmas (originally released under Touchstone), but probably won't think of Star Wars

Yes, that makes sense.

And they'e more likely to think of Pixar than... uh... whatever movies the Disney Channel has spun off besides Hannah Montana.

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Now I'm thinking about High School Musical

Anonus and I need to riff on that movie together sometime
    If I was a marketing executive, I'd understand why 9-year-old girls fantasize about high school.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Nine-year-olds fantasize about high school because everyone fantasizes about high school. Children look forward to it because the older children and adults place so much importance on it. Artists revisit that period of their life to record or to revise to their own liking. Students learn a great deal of things for the first time in high. It is the test-tube of your society, where pundits and pseudoscientists attempt to trace the origins of success, trauma, and crime.

And you know what? They're all shitlords.
    When I was nine, I had only fear and contempt for high school.

But whatever
    i don't remember looking forward to it

i have seen only the 3rd High School Musical film

it's enjoyable enough, certainly watchable, but not particularly memorable and probably wouldn't stand a second viewing
  • edited 2013-11-01 00:57:06
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I had a whole rant typed out about high school, but it was long enough that it was starting to become Emotional Problems Pile material. :P Suffice to say that high school just isn't going to be "I was the top social butterfly with all the best stuff" experience for most people, and I think that rarefied fantasy of high school informs a lot of people's preconceptions of it. 

That and I think a lot of kidcom writers are (intentionally or otherwise) conflating high school with the later years of college, where you're a lot more likely to have large circles of friends and maybe even start dating seriously.
    lee4hmz said:

That and I think a lot of kidcom writers are (intentionally or otherwise) conflating high school with freshman year of college, where you're a lot more likely to have large circles of friends and maybe even start dating seriously.

i never really noticed that before but you're right

maybe explains why i could never really relate to those shows
    the fact that "kidcom" is a genre surprises me, for some reason
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Yeah, I ninja-edited that, but really, it applies to college in general. How many writers in their 30s or 40s are going to have anything but fuzzy memories of high school, especially if it wasn't a pleasant experience for them? Whereas, for them, college is where they came into their own and started living life for real, not what would have felt like a cartoonish imitation of life. 

Which makes you kind of wonder about the people who glorify their high-school years. Do they even exist for real, or are they just Straw Loser types? I know Al Bundy was deliberately made up to be a Straw Loser, but then, that show was as much (if not more) about defying sitcom stereotypes just for the hell of it (as were a lot of the Norman Lear/Embassy shows, come to think of it) as it was about building coherent characters.
    secondary school was hell