It's time for a HALLOWEEN SPOOKTACULAR!! Let's Give Ourselves Goosebumps!

Comments

• For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    There's an old piano and they play it hot

Behind the gray door

Don't know what they're doing but they laugh alot

Behind the gray door

I wish they'd let me in so I could find out what's

Behind the gray door

• My dreams exceed my real life
    "I want to check out what's behind this door," you tell Kerry as you grip the handle. "Whatever it is."

You push the door open.

"Wow," you murmur. You've discovered some kind of lab! Steaming beakers stand in wire holders on a black table. Computer monitors blink on a desk in the corner. There's no one around.

Kerry dashes in. Figures. She loves labs.

You follow a few steps behind Kerry. The smell of chemicals hits your nose.

"Pee-yew!" you moan. "It stinks in here! Let's keep going."

"Not so fast" Kerry whispers. "Look what I found!"

Check out what Kerry found on PAGE 110

"What is it?" you ask, crossing to Kerry.

She holds up a small flask of green liquid. It's sealed with a cork.

You peer closer and read a tiny label. VIRUS ANTIDOTE.

"Wow! Bring it," you suggest. "It could come in handy if we run into that plant virus."

Kerry nods and slips the bottle into her pocket. "What else is in here?" she murmurs. She wanders along the high steel table.

"Something that smells really bad," you comment. "Come on, let's go"

You grab the door handle.

And it grabs you back!

TURN TO PAGE 35
    "Yaaaaaaiiieee!" you yelp. You stare down at the door handle.

Only it isn't a door handle. It's a hand!

Long silvery fingers clutch you in their grasp.

"Wha-wha-what-" you stammer.

"The door!" Kerry yelps behind you. "It's changing!"

You raise your eyes from the silver hand to the door. You tremble with fear as you watch the door melt around the hand. It slithers off the wall. Then it rearanges itself into a tree

A tree with a hand sticking out of the middle of its trunk.

Kerry's eyes widen. "It's some kind of weird morphing plant!" she exclaims. "Dr. Creeper must have invented it."

"Whatever it is," you cry, "It's not letting go!"

TURN TO PAGE 39
    You gasp as the tree changes shape again. It melts into a huge spiky-leafed plant. The long leaves thrash in the air.

And wrap themselves around your body.

You tug and pull against the plant, trying to escape. But every time you manage to kick or hit it, the flesh of the plant melts away. It's like trying to fight a shadow.

"Help me!" you shout to Kerry. "It won't let go!"

"I don't know what to do!" Kerry yells.

You desperately scan the room. You notice a water pipe on the wall next to you. It's paintet red with the words WARNING! HOT! in black.

If you could break the pipe, maybe the hot water would melt the weird morphing plant...

"I know!" Kerry declares. "I have a thermos of ice water. The ice might freeze the plant-or at least slow it down."

You've got two plans to choose from-hot or cold.

The morphing plant squeezes tighter. Think! Think fast!

To break the pipe and melt the plant, TURN TO PAGE 122

To have Kerry freeze the plant with ice, TURN TO PAGE 97
  • The sadness will last forever.
    melt the plant
  • edited 2013-10-08 18:42:20
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    melt the plant.

...Ice water, Kerry? REALLY? I thought you where the brains here.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i like how casual these kids are about stealing medical supplies they don't at the time need
    And I'm pretty sure viruses don't work that way. The vial ought to be a virus vaccine, in which case you and Kerry should inject yourselves with it right now to make yourselves immune.

Because there can be no possible downside to injecting yourself with something you just found in some stranger's lab.

Anyway, melt the plant.
    MELT IT

MELT IT
    I'm going to boil this sucker, you decide.

The morphing plant curls around your body. It feels as if you're being bear-hugged by a giant boa constrictor.

"Aaaaack" you choke. It's crushing you!

Using all the strength left in your body, you jump up and kick the water pipe. CRUNCH!

The pipe breaks. Hot water shoots out, It pounds down on top of you and the morphing plant.

"Yiii" You shriek. That water is hot! You squeeze your eyes shut. It's like taking a scorching hot shower.

"It's not working," Kerry screams. "The plant's getting bigger!"

TURN TO PAGE 47
    Kerry is right! The plant is absorbing the hot water through its skin. It expands, soaking up all the liquid like a giant sponge. 

Then the plant begins soaking up objects too. The broken pipe. Kerry's backpack. The dirt on the ground...

Eventually, it soaks you up too.

So long, sucker! Or should it be... soaker!

THE END
    weirdest ending yet?  i think it might be

we should have trusted the major brain
  • edited 2013-10-08 20:25:26
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

I guess we hope water at temperatures above freezing has magic, plant destroying properties. 
    Maybe the ice will slow it down enough for us to injure it.

More likely, this is just a stupid story.
    You remember something from science class. You hear Mr. Denmead's voice: When a liquid cools, the particles slow down.

The way the weird morphing plant moves makes you think it must be some kind of liquid.

So ice would cool the liquid and slow the plant down!

"Use the ice!" you shout to Kerry. "And use it quick!"

As Kerry digs the thermos out of her backpack, you wrestle the plant to the ground. It moves like Jell-o under you. Every time you think you have a leaf or a branch pinned down, it morphs!

"I can't believe this is happening!" you shout.

"Keep fighting it!" Kerry screams. 

As you struggle, one of the branches takes the shape of a huge hammer. It rises into the air over your head...

"Kerry!" you cry. "Help meeeeeeee!"

Quick! TURN TO PAGE 126
    The hammer is about to crash down on your head.

Then-SPLASH! Kerry douses you both with ice water.

The morphing plant freezes. It is completely still.

"You did it!" you cry, breaking away from the plant's frigid grasp. "The ice worked! I can't believe it! Thank you!"

As you detach yourself from the morphing plant, huge leaves break off and land on the floor. 

"I'm taking a specimen of this!" Kerry announces. She slips  a piece of a leave into a tiny jar and tucks it into her backpack.

You grab the lab coat hanging from the back of the chair. You use it to dry yourself off. "Let's get out of this lab," you say. "I don't want to find out what those other experiments might be."

Kerry nods. "There's a real door over there. That weird plant was just pretending to be a door so it could catch us."

You toss the lab coat onto the table. "At least it'll warm up in the desert exhibit."

TURN TO PAGE 136
  • You remember something from science class. You hear Mr. Denmead's voice: When a liquid cools, the particles slow down.

The way the weird morphing plant moves makes you think it must be some kind of liquid.

that's some cold-ass ice water
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Maybe the plant has a really high freezing point! Alternative option: Our friend has a habit of carrying around liquid nitrogen.
  • edited 2013-10-10 14:41:30
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    The way that plant is a plant makes me think it must be mostly water.

She slips  a piece of a leave into a tiny jar 
    Is that what the book actually said?
    MetaFour said:

Is that what the book actually said?
    A-yep.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Maybe the plant has a really high freezing point! Alternative option: Our friend has a habit of carrying around liquid nitrogen.

She apparently carries around tiny jars to collect specimen, so maybe she does carry random chemicals with dangerous properties around.
  • edited 2013-10-11 00:02:02
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    that's an awfully absorbent lab coat

still can't get over that we died of being 'soaked up' by a plant
  • edited 2013-10-11 01:07:13
    If we press on, maybe we can find an even dumber way to die.

Hey, what about our offscreen classmates? Are they, like us, stumbling through the botanical gardens like rambunctious, brain-damaged lemurs? Sticking their heads into every nook or cranny that looks the slightest bit dangerous? Are we going to get the stupid award for best report by default, because all the competition died from terrible puns? Hell, will Mr. Denmead survive to give us the reward?

Or are they all smarter than us, and they decided to get the hell back to the bus two minutes after we ran off on our own?

Do they have the same "turn back time to your last major decision" superpower that we readers have? Aw crap, does Max Creeper have that superpower?
    You and Kerry step back into the corridor. You walk down to the end of the hall and find a door marked DESERT EXHIBIT

"This is it!" you declare. You push the door open.

A blast of hot air hits you in the face. But a sickening chill passes over your skin.

Because at your feet you discover a grinning cow skull.

"Gross," Kerry comments. "Check out that skull."

Then the skull jumps! Up into the air!

"Look out!" you scream.

TURN TO PAGE 8
  • edited 2013-10-11 12:12:08
    My dreams exceed my real life
    The skull jumps again. Its pointed horns pierce the air.

Kerry laughs behind you.

"What's so funny?" you demand. You keep an eye on the jumping skull.

"I'll show you." She bends down and picks up the skull.

"Be careful!" You warn.

But Kerry points at the ground where the skull had been. You see a tiny gray mouse. It scurries away.

"The mouse must have been trapped under the skill," Kerry explains. "The mouse made the skull jump when it was trying to get out. I'm  sure the mouse was a lot more scared than you were." She gives you a smirk.

"Ha-ha," you grumble. Kerry tosses the skill to you. You notice a tiny cactus growing in one of the eye sockets. "Cool!" you exclaim. "Here's the plant I'm going to study." 

You point at the little cactus. But by mistake, you poke it.

"Ow!" you exclaim. "I pricked my finger."

Suddenly you feel dizzy. The room starts spinning. Bright lights flash in your head. You feel sick. You fall to your hands and knees, dropping the skull.

"What's happening to me?" you cry.

TURN TO PAGE 55 to find out
    Your head spins. Bright colors flasha nd pop in front of your face. Your skin itches and burns.

What is going on? you wonder. But terror keeps the words stuck in your throat.

"Your skin!" Kerry gasps. "It's... it's changing."

You stare down at your hands. Your eyes widen in horror. Scales are forming on your skin. The scales get rougher until they look like bark.

Vines shoot out of your fingertips. Leaves sprout all over your arms and legs. You feel your hair growing.

You have no control over what's happening to you. It's like a nightmare! Your head feels as if it's about to split in two. Your skin itches you much you want to rip it off.

Then, without warning, everything stops.

Inside you feel like your regular self. But you know that on the outside, you are far from normal.

Kerry's face is pale. Her eyes look like they're going to pop out of her head.

"Y-y-you're a plant!" she stammers.

TURN TO PAGE 64 to figure out what to do.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I hope our protagonists appreciate how awesome this actually is.
    You have no control over what's happening to you. It's like a nightmare! ...

Inside you feel like your regular self. But you know that on the outside, you are far from normal.
    Now he knows how it feels to read this book.

A mouse made a cow skull jump...

Really...

R.L. Stine, is that pile of money you sleep on really enough to help you forget you're a horrible hack writer?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Just wait till December. Maybe Stine will be visited by the Ghostwriter of Christmas Past.
    "Are you okay?" Kerry asks you.

"No, I'm not okay!" you shout, gazing down at your leafy arms. "I'm a plant! This is awful! What am I going to do?"

"I don't know!!" Kerry moans. "This place is so crazy! I wish we had never come here!"

"All right! Don't panic," you order Kerry. "We've got to turn me back into a kid!"

"Should we try to find Mr. Denmead?" Kerry asks. "Or should we try to solve the problem ourselves?"

Your heart pumps so hard you can hardly hear yourself think. But you'd better think-and fast!

To figure out what happened on your own, TURN TO PAGE 77

To go get Mr. Denmead to help you, TURN TO PAGE 105

Find out what happened on your own.

Fuck the police.
  • edited 2013-10-11 23:13:32
    Why is there no option to use the obvious plot coupon plant virus antidote we found just a few minutes ago? 

In the immortal words of Li'l Brudder, "I can do it on my own!"
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Your heart pumps so hard you can hardly hear yourself think.
    We're not very good at this "Being A Plant" thing, are we?
    "We have to figure this out!" you exclaim. "I don't want to waste time looking for help."

"Okay, let's think," Kerry mutters. She paces back and forth. "What could have made this happen.?"

"I know!" you cry. "The cactus! I pricked my finger on the cactus!" You try to bend down to pick up the cow skull-but you can't bend anymore.

"Look!" Kerry gasps. "There are little red spots on the cactus. You must have caught the plant virus. It turned you into a plant!"

"We need an antidote!" you yell. 

Hey! did you pick up the virus antidote anywhere along the way?

If you did, TURN TO PAGE 38

If you didn't, TURN TO PAGE 20
  • edited 2013-10-12 15:48:17
    "Give me the antidote!" you cry.

Kerry reaches into her pocket and removes the little glass vial. The green liquid shines inside.

"I'm so glad we went into that lab!" she exclaims.

Kerry uncorks the vial and hands it to you.

As you look at the green antidote you realize something.

"Oh, no," you moan. "I don't know if I'm supposed to drink it or rub it on my skin."

Kerry's face grows pale. "This is terrible," she wails. "If it's supposed to go on your skin and you drink it, it could poison you. And if you put it on your skin instead of drinking it, you might waste it all!"

She stares at you, eyes wide with concern. "What are you going to do?"

To drink the antidote, TURN TO PAGE 108

To rub it on your skin, TURN TO PAGE 114
    Chug! Chug! Chug! Chug!

Why is there no option to inject it?
    Yeah, you know Kerry's probably carrying around some syringes or something!

Anyhow, bottoms up!

DRINK IT! YOLO!
    To rub it in your eyes, TURN TO PAGE 52.

To snort it up your nose, TURN TO PAGE 67.

To apply it to your anus, TURN TO PAGE 214.
    "I"m going to drink this stuff," you declare. "That seems like the right thing to do. Besides, there's not enough to cover my whole body."

Your hands shake as you tip the vial to your bark-covered lips. You let the antidote slide down your throat. What if it doesn't work? you think. Or-what if it poisons you?

But the antidote tastes delicious! Like cherries. You swallow every drop.

You stare down at your body, waiting for something to happen. Your whole body trembles with anticipation.

You begin to feel strange. But are the odd tingle signs that the antidote is working?

Or has it poisoned you?

Gulp! Find out ON PAGE 72
    Your body shudders. You can't control the violent shaking.

One of the leaves drops off. Then another. Then a vine. Soon all your leaves and vines drop away. The bark covering your body chips off.

"Yes! It worked!" You collapse onto the ground. Your muscles ache. You feel weak from the sudden transformation.

"Are you okay?" Kerry asks. Her voice shakes.

You nod. You feel too stunned to speak.

You can't believe it. Only seconds ago, you were a plant!

After a few minutes, you feel less shaky "Let's get out of here," you say.

"Do you want to tell Mr. Denmead what happened?" Kerry still looks worried. "Maybe you should go home. Or go to a doctor."

"Nah" you decide. "I feel fine now. In fact now that I'm back to normal, it was kind of cool to be a plant."

"Whatever you say," Kerry murmurs. "So you want to keep exploring the gardens? Should we go back to the directory?"

"Good idea," you answer.

Pick another area to explore ON PAGE 100
  • edited 2013-10-18 10:25:36
    THE E. VILLE CREEPER BOTANICAL GARDENS

Please explore all our exciting areas:

TROPICAL(TURN TO PAGE 5)

ARCTIC(TURN TO PAGE 41)

NATIVE( TURN TO PAGE 23)

DESERT(TURN TO PAGE 32)

Enjoy your visit and please
    DO NOT TOUCH THE EXHIBITS

When you have visited all the areas, TURN TO PAGE 50
  • The sadness will last forever.
    Native
    Tropical!
  • edited 2013-10-13 20:37:30
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    we never went to the desert, so desert

I AM NOT HELPING RESOLVE THIS DISPUTE!

we never went to the desert, so desert

I AM NOT HELPING RESOLVE THIS DISPUTE!

We did.

That was what we just did.

It just had so little to do with the desert you didn't notice.

Native

We also went here.
    really?  i thought we got sidetracked behind the grey door and never went to pg. 95

but tropical, then