It's time for a HALLOWEEN SPOOKTACULAR!! Let's Give Ourselves Goosebumps!

edited 2013-09-29 19:36:06 in Liveblogs
It's (almost) that time of year again Heapers! And for this All Hallows Eve, I'm treating you to a ghoulishly ghould death-light hahahahahahahahaha I am done punning.

So anyway, I'm gonna be typing out the contents of a book, or a series of book, and YOU get to choose where the story goes, but first, let's look at our options.

Life is but a scream...

You know it's silly- but you're creeped out by the weird old inn where your family is staying. You're even afraid to go to sleep! Dumb, right?

Wrong. You SHOULD be afraid. Because in this place, sleep is when the evil Sleep Master rules. And your nightmares become reality.

Like the one where you turn into a bat. Or the one where your parents become hideous aliens. Can you escape? And can you survive the ultimate showdown-with Lord Morphos, the terrifying ruler of the Dream World?

Laugh at your own risk!

You're walking through a creepy part of town when you find a new comic shop-Milo's Comics Dungeon. Dungeon is right! The place is dusty, dingy, and really dark. You can see the comics are awesome. But there's something you can't see. Trouble. It's waiting-for YOU.

If you choose to go downstairs, watch out for Milo the Mutant. He's got big, bad plans for you. What? You say you'd rather stay upstairs? Not such a great idea-unless you want to battle the worst villains in the history of comics! Do you have what it takes to be a superhero?

He's into Heavy Metal...Really Heavy Metal

You and your friends decide to check out a new part of town. That's when you notice an old house with a sign that says "BEWARE-DANGER" on one side, and "PLEASE COME IN" on the other. Of course, you decide to go and see what's up.

The old man who lives there tells you he's looking for help cleaning out his garage. And you find a secret room. Inside there's a robot and mirrors and all kinds of great stuff. If you look in the mirrors, you'll find yourself in a place where everything is backwards. If you turn on the robot, you'll be walking in a metal wonderland. Can you get back before you become a pile of nuts and bolts?

He's out to take over... Your life!

Top secret and dangerous. That's what your mom, a famous scientist, calls the research she's been doing at the labs of Dr. Eeek. You're dying to know what it's all about.

Then one day you get lost in the labs. Before you know it, you've become a human guinea pig in Dr. Eeek's deadly experiments!

If you choose one lab, you meet a dog wearing sneakers. He's half dog, half kid. And now he's after you! If you choose another lab, you get lost in a maze-a maze that just happens to be the home of an enormous rat!
Take a ride if you dare...
Late one night you and your friends visit the old fairgrounds. They're putting up rides and booths for the annual carnival. But this year things look really different. Really odd. Really scary.

The place is lit up by a hundred fiery torches. And the spooky music is coming up from the main tent. Then you meet Big Al, the creepy carnival manager. He's invited you in to test some of the rides.

Will you brave the terrifying Supersonic Space Coaster? Risk the horrors of the Reptile Petting Zoo? Slice through the oily waters of Booger Bog? Or confront the evil Snake Lady?

Everything's Coming Up...Evil!

The E. Ville Creeper Botanical Gardens has been closed down for ages. It looks abandoned... even haunted. But your teacher thinks it's a great place for a field trip!

You'll have to collected data from four different deadly gardens-and manage to stay alive. There are polka-dotted roses that have the power to eat people! And cactus needles filled with a powerful plant virus. Touch one of these and you'll grow a green thumb... not to mention roots, leaves, and bark!

VOTE ON YOUR FAVORITE

Comments

• edited 2013-09-29 20:20:39
    kill living beings
    definitely have to go with plant food. the kid on the cover is the most terroredest imo

also don't stop making shitty puns
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Gotta love that OCR-A font on the later books. Because nothing says "scary" like computer-readable text.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    MetaFour said:

Gotta love that OCR-A font on the later books. Because nothing says "scary" like computer-readable text.

It's the 2000s man, we have to be futuristic now.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

definitely have to go with plant food. the kid on the cover is the most terroredest imo

also don't stop making shitty puns
    What he said
    It's the 2000s man, we have to be futuristic now.
    Lord Morphos, terrifying ruler of the Dream World! Evil plants! Surely this must be THE FUTURE!
    Viani said:

What did R.L. Stine books again?

Centaurs. Centaurs wrote them.
  • kill living beings
    whoa did they seriously use ocr-a, that is ridiculous i love it
  • Goosely Bumps
  • Are you afraid the dark?
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

God bless you, Myr.

Also, I vote alligator cover, because alligator. 
    Deadline is tonight or tomorrow depending on how tired I am so anyone who hasn't voted get your votes in soon.

So far You're Plant Food! is winning.

The voting will be kind of a first come first-served thing. There'll be a few hours in between updates, generally, and whichever choice gets the most votes wins. If you don't get a chance to vote, don't worry, there will be plenty of chances. If different choices get the same amount of votes, I'll just pick whichever I like better.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    another vote for the plant food book
    You're Plant Food it is then!
    "Whoa!" you exclaim as the school bus pulls up to the E. Ville Creeper Botanical Gardens. "What a creepy place!"

Behind a tall, wrought-iron gate looms the oldest-looking building you've ever seen. Damp green moss and thorny, twisting vines cling to the ancient walls. Shrubs and thick bushes line up a crumbling cobblestone path.

"Yeah," your best friend, Kerry, agrees. "It looks abandoned or maybe even...haunted."

You stare at Kerry, eyes wide. "I can't wait!" you and Kerry shout at the same time. You slap high fives.

"This is going to be the best field trip!" Kerry adds.

Famous last words...

TURN TO PAGE 2
    "Okay we're here! Everybody off the bus!" your teacher, Mr. Denmead, shouts. Kerry brushes her strawberry-blond hair off her freckled face and grabs her backpack. You slip a small notebook and a pen into your jacket pocket.

It's so cool that Mr. Denmead knows the people who run this place," you tell Kerry as you exit the bus. "I don't know anyone who has ever been inside. These gardens have been closed for as long as I can remember."

"I'm more excited about the prize Mr. Denmead is going to award the team with the best report," Kerry declares. "That team is going to be us!"

You roll your eyes. Kerry is a major brain. She's such a straight-A student you're surprised the teachers haven't made her principal.

Sometimes she can be a little too enthusiastic, in fact. After all, how thrilled can you get over homework?

You're more interested in exploring cool new places. "Well I can't wait to see what kind of weird plants they have. The weirder the better!"

"Kids gather around" Mr. Denmead stands by the huge rusty gates, "I have to warn you about something."

TURN TO PAGE 3
    "We are here by special permission, so I expect you all to be on your best behavior," Mr. Denmead declares.

You glance around at your classmates. Everyone nods. You snort. As if anyone would admit they were going to get into trouble, you think.

"There are some very unusual plants inside," Mr. Denmead continues. "Plants you've never seen before. You may be tempted to touch them but don't!"

Mr. Denmead steps up to the gates. Metal screeches as he pushes them open. Your class follows him along a pathway overgrown with weeds. You reach the decaying front porch.

CREAK! The porch moans as Mr. Denmead steps on it.

You glance down at his feet. Something seems wrong.

Hey. The doormat-it's sagging in the middle. And the wood around the edges of the large mat looks rotten. Black spots and bits of moss stain the planks.

It looks as if the floor might collapse!

CRRREEAK! Mr. Denmead lifts his foot to step onto the mat.

"Watch out!" you shout. "The floor! It's breaking!"

Quick TURN TO PAGE 134
    You leap forward and yank Mr. Denmead's arm. You pull him down the porch steps as the planks under his feet give way.

He stumbles backwards onto the lawn. A huge, gaping hole appears right where he was standing a moment ago.

Wow! Mr. Denmead murmurs. He seems startled. And a little embarassed. "The wood must be rotten. Thank you."

"No problem" your reply modestly.

Hey! Being on the teacher's good side for a change could come in handy!

"Nice work," Kerry congratulates you.

Mr. Denmead examines the giant hole in the floorboards. "I don't remember the gardens being so run-down": he mutters. "Perhaps this visit isn't such a good idea. Class, wait here while I try the back door." He hurries around the side of the building.

"I hope he doesn't cancel the trip," you whisper to Kerry. "I'm dying to explore. When will we have another chance to get inside these weird gardens?"

"Yeah," Kerry answers. "And what about the contest? I'm all set to win. What are we going to do?"

TURN TO PAGE 9 to find out.
    "There must be some way to check out the inside of this place" you whisper. "Even if it's just for a little while."

You notice an open window farther down. It would be easy to climb in. "We could go through the window" you suggest.

"Look," Kerry whispers, nodding toward the front door. "The front door is open a crack. We could jump over the hole and go right in."

"Yeah, but then everybody would see us," you point out. "That creep Chris Nelson would probably tell on us"

You both glance over at Chris. He's picking his nose. As usual. Gross!

You're right, he would squeal," Kerry agrees. "But if anyone sees us going through the window, we could be in even bigger trouble."

"That's true," you answer. You chew on your fingernail. You're dying to get in there and explore!

"Listen, I'll do whatever you want," Kerry concedes. "But decide fast. Before Mr. Denmead gets back and calls the whole trip off!"

Quick! Choose! To climb in the window, TURN TO PAGE 43

To open the front door, TURN TO PAGE 87
    Take the window.
    seconding window
    Oh, are we going to try to get all the endings?
    MetaFour said:

Oh, are we going to try to get all the endings?

Yeah, hopefully.
    "Let's go in the window," you decide. "We'll be careful."

"Okay" Kerry agrees. "Come on."

Together, you sneak over to the window. You make sure no one is watching. Then you climb inside.

You're standing in the main hall. Faint light shines through grime-streaked windows. In the dim glow you see thick vines climbing the marble walls. Moss sprouts from the tile floor.

"Wow" you gasp. "This place is wild!"

"Cool!" Kerry exclaims. She wanders off to check out a tree.

"Hey, how did you get in ahead of us?" an annoying voice whines behind you.

You spin around. It's Chris. The rest of your class swarms into the huge main hall.

"You didn't come in the back door like we did!" he says suspiciously. "So how did you get in?"

"None of your business," you snap. Chis is one of those kids who always wants to tag along. And if you don't let him, he figures out some way to get you in trouble.

I had better disappear before he asks if he can hang out with Kerry and me, you think. That's the last thing you want on a field trip. To be stuck with Chris!
    "I've got to find the bathroom, Chris," you fib. Then you dodge through the group of kids milling around. You want to put some distance between you and Chris.

A thick vine creeps up the wall in front of you. You notice a bright-green poster tacked to it. What's that about? you wonder. Why would there be a poster if nobody ever comes here?

You step up close to examine it. And gasp.

DANGER, the poster reads in bold red print. DEADLY PLANT VIRUS! Below the words is a picture of a plant covered with red spots.

"The virus affects most varieties of plants-and animals," you read aloud. "Highly contagious. Proceed at your own risk."

Whoa. Now what do I do? you wonder. If I show Mr. Denmead the poster, we might have to leave. Then I'll never get a chance to check out this awesome place.

But if I don't show him, someone might catch the plant virus. It sounds dangerous...

"Okay kids, gather around" Mr. Denmead calls.

Are you going to show him the poster or not?

To show the poster to Mr. Denmead, TURN TO PAGE 26

To hide the poster, TURN TO PAGE 67

Hide the poster.

Yolo.
    You don't want to let some plant virus blow the field trip. Besides, you assure yourself, this poster has probably been hanging there for years. From when the gardens were still open to the public.

But, just to be safe, you decide to hide the poster from Mr. Denmead. You grasp it in your hands and pull.

It won't budge.

You try two hands. But the paper won't tear off from the nail holding it to the vine.

How frustrating! "Come out already!" you mutter. With a hard tug, you rip the poster from the vine. The nail clatters to the floor, leaving a big hole in the plant.

SQUIRT! A spurting red goo shoots from the hole in the vine. It hits your arm.

"Yeow!: you yelp. That stuff really stings!

And the plant keeps spraying the searing goo right at you.

TURN TO PAGE 111
    "Help!" you scream. You shriek in pain. Your skin stings and burns where the goo hits you. You stumble backwards.

And trip over the thick moss sprouting from the floor.

The vine sways and wiggles crazily as it sprays the gooey red sap everywhere. It's like a water hose gone out of control. Everything the sap hits sizzles and fizzles to nothing.

The vine sprays your arms, your hair, your face. You're covered in dripping, burning goo.

Is this that plant virus? you wonder dimly. Or is it just some weird, horrible kind of acid?

You'll never know. All you know, as you melt into a puddle ont he floor, is that you feel like a real sap.

THE END

I'll be back with the other option later today. What do you guys think so far?
    Odradek said:

I'll be back with the other option later today. What do you guys think so far?

i'm enjoying it.

the last pun was hilariously dire

Odradek said:

"Help!" you scream. You shriek in pain. Your skin stings and burns where the goo hits you. You stumble backwards.

And trip over the thick moss sprouting from the floor.

The vine sways and wiggles crazily as it sprays the gooey red sap everywhere. It's like a water hose gone out of control. Everything the sap hits sizzles and fizzles to nothing.

The vine sprays your arms, your hair, your face. You're covered in dripping, burning goo.

Is this that plant virus? you wonder dimly. Or is it just some weird, horrible kind of acid?

You'll never know. All you know, as you melt into a puddle ont he floor, is that you feel like a real sap.

THE END

Yolo.

Also, hilariously good fun.
  • edited 2013-10-01 18:39:00
    My dreams exceed my real life

I better tell Mr. Denmead about this virus, you decide. I'd feel terrible if something bad happened.

Your classmates are gathered around Mr. Denmead. You and Kerry push through the crowd.

"Mr. Denmead" you call, trying to get the teacher's attention, "Mr. Denmead. Hey-"

A sharp nudge in your side cuts you off.

"Why did you poke me?" you ask Kerry.

She nods toward a far corner of the huge hall.

You peer into the dim light. you can just make out the silhouette of a small man. He crouches in a shadowy corner-as if he didn't want anyone to see him.

"He's been watching all this time," Kerry whispers. 

A chill passes over your skin. "You mean-spying on us?"

"I don't know," Kerry replies. Then she gasps. "Look! He's coming towards us!"

Hurry and TURN TO PAGE 12
  • edited 2013-10-01 18:39:11
    Your scalp prickles as the strange man moves towards you.

"Why, there's our host now," Mr. Denmead announces. He steps out of the circle of kids toward the mysterious figure.

"Hellow there, Wally!" the strange man greets your teacher. "Welcome to the E. Ville Creeper Botanical Gardens."

"Kids this is Max Creeper," Mr. Denmead declares. "The gardens are named after his dad."

"Hah!" you laugh. "Kerry, you were scared of nothing!"

You decide not to mention that you were a little scared too.

Kerry's face flushes red. "Well, he looked so weird over there in the dark."

Actually he still looks pretty weird, you think. Max Creeper's long, tangled, white hair trails down his back. Bits of leaves cling to it. Twigs and flowers poke out of the pockets of his filthy overalls. And you notice he's not wearing shoes.

What is it with this guy?

TURN TO PAGE 132 to hear more from Max Creeper

• edited 2013-10-01 18:39:22
    Hello, kids!" Max Creeper yells. "My father was a famous botanist. Your teacher, Wally Denmead, was one of his students. Of course," he adds with a chuckle, "young Wally was a trouble maker back then. I hope he'll be better behaved today."

Is he talking about the same Mr. Denmead? Hmm. Maybe he's not as boring as you thought!

"My father created many new plants," Mr. Creeper continues. "He was a genius. But there were those who thought he was a crackpot." He shakes his head. Twigs fall out of his hair

"I must warn you," Max Creeper goes on. "There's a plant virus going around. Avoid any plant with red spots."

Good! You don't have to warn Mr. Denmead after all.

Mr. Creeper turns to go. "Enjoy meeting my plant friends," he calls over his shoulder. "I've told them to expect you"

You watch Max Creeper shuffle away. What a weirdo.

Okay, kids- it's plant time!" Mr. Denmead leads you all over to the directory. "There are four different regions inside the gardens. Report on plants from each area. Remember-the team with the best report will win a very special prize. Have fun! And please-behave yourselves!"

Read the directory and choose a starting place on PAGE 100
  • edited 2013-10-01 18:39:29
    THE E. VILLE CREEPER BOTANICAL GARDENS

Please explore all our exciting areas:

TROPICAL(TURN TO PAGE 5)

ARCTIC(TURN TO PAGE 41)

NATIVE( TURN TO PAGE 23)

DESERT(TURN TO PAGE 32)

Enjoy your visit and please
    DO NOT TOUCH THE EXHIBITS

When you have visited all the areas, TURN TO PAGE 50

Of course, this is WORSE than Young Adult. So, books for rats, I guess.

Let's go Native.
    Tropical!
  • edited 2013-10-01 23:27:01
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    I get the impression that the door/window decision didn't actually make any difference.

Also:
    That's the last thing you want on a field trip. To be stuck with Chris!
    Screw you, RL Stine's ghostwriter.

Of course, this is WORSE than Young Adult. So, books for rats, I guess.
    Excuse you. Rats are fairly smart. You should be comparing them to, I don't know, toads maybe.

And Native.

I almost said "mice", but figured I'd get hit with a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference.
    Oh god you guys are not ready for what awaits us at Native.
  • edited 2013-10-02 18:44:25
    Doublepost.
  • edited 2013-10-02 18:44:16
    Triple post.
    Oh God I just edited out everything I typed.

Dammit, okay, back in a second.
    "Why do they have a native exhibit?" you complain. "I can study local plants in my own backyard!"

"We have to take notes for our report on something in there," Kerry replies. "Might as well be now."

"Okay." You grumble. "I know you want to win the stupid contest."

"It's not stupid," Kerry huffs.

You and Kerry find the door to the exhibit. You push it open and step into a beautiful outdoor garden. Fruit trees stand in two rows. A small field of red and pink tulips borders a large pond. Lily pads float serenely on the pond's smooth surface.

"Okay, maybe this is nicer than my backyard," you admit.

That's when you notice a spectacular rosebush. Fat, colorful roses seem to burst from the branches. Only you've never seen roses these colors before.

Some are orange, some brown, some bright blue. Hey! They look just like the roses in that GIVE YOURSELF GOOSEBUMPS book Secret Agent Grandma, you realize.

So does that mean you should step up to the rosebush? Or run away as fast as you can?

Well? Have you read the book?

To run away from the roses, TURN TO PAGE 123

To take a closer look at the roses, TURN TO PAGE 85.
  • edited 2013-10-02 18:52:51
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Some are orange, some brown, some bright blue. Hey! They look just like the roses in that GIVE YOURSELF GOOSEBUMPS book Secret Agent Grandma, you realize.

XD OH GOD, WHAT?!

Also, take a closer look at the roses.

Yolo.

I love how Stine is just like, "Fuck it. I don't even have to come up with knew ideas anymore."