It's time for a HALLOWEEN SPOOKTACULAR!! Let's Give Ourselves Goosebumps!

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    maybe he thought it was a fun reference the fans would enjoy

more likely it's a ploy to make kids want to buy a previous title in the series
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I have a feeling about what taking a closer look at the roses is going to lead to, so let's just get that out of the way right now.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    "Those roses are incredible!" Kerry exclaims.

"Yeah" you agree. "And such weird colors!"

You step up to the rosebush. Some of the flowers are striped, some have polka dots. And they have an unusual odor-sort of like bananas! You step closer and take a whiff of an orange and green polka-dot rose.

That's when you notice the tiny eyes peering back at you from the blossoms. 

"AAAAAAGGGHHHH!" You shriek and stumble backwards.

Admit it. You never read Secret Agent Grandma, did you?

If you had, you would know that some of these roses can behave pretty badly.

Especially when they're hungry.

And since no one has been to visit these gardens in a very long time, these roses are starving.

But not for much longer...

Yup, the flower's future looks rosy. Filled with delicious meals. But things look pretty thorny for you and Kerry....

CHOMP! Munch munch munch.

Talk about flower power.

THE END

Why the fuck did you not read this.

What is wrong with you.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Hahaha, that's hilarious.

I wonder when they started adding the blatant cross-promotion. I had one of the early books in the series and I don't remember it having anything like that, though that might just have been because it was written before there were many other books to advertise.

Anyway, let's go back and run away from the roses.
  • edited 2013-10-02 20:59:46
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    ^^ & ^^^ Haha, yes.

Yolt
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    I was ready for madness and death. I wasn't ready for metafictional madness and death.
  • Oh man, I loved these books when I was a kid.

My favorite one was when this girl had a boyfriend who was secretly a vampire, but he got killed in the end because her dad was secretly a werewolf. It was everything Twilight should have been.

"Kerry, stay back!" you warn. "In
     Secret Agent Grandma the roses looked just like that. And they turned out to be really dangerous"

"Really INSERT NAME HERE?" Kerry said. "A fucking CYOA Gooseumps book? Really? That's what you read? I'm reading the Great Illustrated Classics edition of A Remembrance of Things Past now. That's what I read. Maybe you could upgrade to Goodnight Moon. Seriously. Goosebumps?"

"Whoa!" Kerry breathes. "Let's not take any chances."

You and Kerry hurry away from the rosebush. She points to a cluster of plants. "I'm going to check out that ivy over there. What are you going to write about for our report?"

Sometimes it's tough being best friends with the class brain and teacher's pet. You sigh, searching the room with your eyes for something exciting to write about.

Your gaze lands on the pond. "I'm going to take notes on those lily pads." you announce. "Brilliant, stupendous notes so that we win this dumb contest."

You pull your note book out of your pocket and head for the pond. A strange sensation creeps through you.

Just like the roses, you have a feeling you know something about the pond.

Or do you?

Have you heard anything about a pond? If so TURN TO PAGE 70

If you haven't, head right for PAGE 29
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Clearly this is a red herring and not an obvious death at all, so you have heard nothing about the pond.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

I love how the "class brain" read's chose your own Goosebumps books.
    You gaze out over the pond.

Then you notice something under the surface.

Something small and round. A black circle.

With a swish, the circle blinks.

It's an eye!

"Whoah! There's something alive under there!" you shout. "Kerry! Come check this out!"

You lean closer, trying to see what's in there.

A giant head burst out of the water. You gasp.

Then you realize-it's just a turtle! You check to be sure Kerry didn't see you. You wouldn't want her to think you were afraid of a turtle. Even if it is big. Really big.

Besides, you weren't actually scared. Just startled.

SNAP!

You jump back. Hey! The turtle tried to bite your face!

You stare at the huge creature. It must be some kind of gigantic snapping turtle-maybe a mutant!

Then the turtle's huge, jagged beak clamps down on your shirt sleeve. It pulls you into the pond!

Quick! TURN TO PAGE 46

I love how the "class brain" read's chose your own Goosebumps books.

She doesn't, but she apparently trusts faceless nameless ambiguously gendered main character's belief that it's based on real life.
  • edited 2013-10-03 16:21:28
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Our reader avatar clearly seeks his or her own demise at every turn, I don't think we even had to try this time...
    Have to go now, but I'll be back with the future spoooooooky series of events after a few hours.
    You tumble head over heels into the murky green pond.

Terror shoots through you, The water is so dark. You feel as if you're being dragged into a watery grave.

The snapping turtle's teeth grip your sleeve. Its strong legs plow through the water. You're dragged deeper and deeper into the pond.

Where is it taking me? you wonder frantically. How deep is this pond? You yank and pull, trying to break free. But the turtle's massive jaws are clenched tight. I've got to get to the surface! you think desperately. I'm running out of air!

SPLASH! Something thrashes in the water beside you.

Oh, no. Could it be another giant turtle?

TURN TO PAGE 16
  • edited 2013-10-03 18:40:48
    My dreams exceed my real life
    Your head whips around. You peer through the murky water, trying to see what made that splash. 

Kerry! She jumped into the pond to save you!

She swims toward you. There's nothing can do to help yourself. You're about to black out. You only hope Kerry can do something before your lungs burst.

You see her grab a  stick floating nearby. She pumps her legs hard. In a few strokes she is beside you and the turtle.

WHACK! She slams the turtle on the snout with the stick.

Instantly, it releases you and snaps at the stick.

You kick your legs with all your strength. You burst through the surface and gulp in air.

"Yes!" you cheer. "Thanks, Kerry! I owe you."

No answer.

You gaze around. Uh-oh. 

No Kerry.

TURN TO PAGE 48
  • edited 2013-10-03 18:44:13
    "Kerry!" You tread water and peer into the murky depths. The turtle must have her, you realize with horror.

Now it's your turn to save her.

You take in a great big breath, squeeze your lips together, and duck back underwater.

But you don't see Kerry or the turtle anywhere!

You swim a few yards in each direction. The pond is much deeper than it looks. Your air begins to give out. You rise to the surface again.

You gasp and sputter.

Panic makes it even harder to catch your breath. What has happened to Kerry? Is he down there somewhere-drowned? Is she turtle food? Is she-

"Aaaagh!" you shriek as water sprays everywhere.

"Aaaaagh!" someone shrieks back at you.

TURN TO PAGE 7
    "Kerry!" you cry. "How did you get away from the turtle?"

She grins at you. "Easy. I whopped him a few times on the nose. It made him so mad that he swam away."

"Well what are we waiting for? Free swim is over." You begin to paddle to the edge of the pond.

"Wait," Kerry calls. "I found something really cool down there. An underwater cave. You can breath in it and everything."

"Cool!" you exclaim. "Do you want to go explore?"

"I don't know," Kerry replies. "That turtle is still down there. And we have to work on the report for the contest."

Then she shrugs. "I'll do whatever you want."

Hmmmm, you think. I really don't want to face that turtle again. Especially now that he's mad.

But it would be so cool to check out the cave.

So what will it be?

To check out the cave, TURN TO PAGE 37

To keep exploring the gardens, climb out of the water on PAGE 19

CAVE!

CAVE!

"We have to scope out that cave!" you exclaim. "Let's go!"

You and Kerry dive back underwater. You follow her into a dim cave. Your lungs feel as if they're burning. Then you burst through the surface of the water.

"Air!" you exclaim.

"Cool, huh?" Kerry calls. She's treading water beside you.

You gaze around. Glowing purple moss cover the damp walls. Mushroomlike plants poke out of crevices.

And then-SNAP! A leathery beak chomps at your leg.

"The turtle!" you shout. You scramble onto a narrow ledge of rock. "He's back!"

"And he brought friends," Kerry gasps. "Lots of them!"

Uh-oh! You scan the cave. How can you get out without going back into the water?

Then you notice the outline of a door in the cave wall. You don't have a clue where it leads. But the turtles are starting to climb out of the water after you. Snapping their beaks.

Looks like you don't have much choice.

You and Kerry dart over and race through the door.

TURN TO PAGE 13
    You slam the door behind you. You and Kerry collapse against it, panting.

"Those turtles have a major attitude problem," you comment.

"Well, as long as they can't turn doorknobs, we should be okay," Kerry replies.

You shiver. "I feel totally gross," you complain. "My clothes are all soaked and my sneakers are all soggy."

Kerry nods. "Me too. And everything in my backpack got all wet. I didn't expect to go swimming today."

You glance around. You're at the end of a long, dim corridor. We better try to find our way back to the main hall, you declare. Maybe we'll dry off a little on the way."

"I can just picture Mr. Denmead's face," Kerry moans. "He's going to have a fit when he sees us."

"He"ll have a bigger fit if he can't find us when it's time to go home," you point out. "Move it."

Move it to PAGE 31
    You and Kerry wander along the dim passageway. The tunnel twists and turns so many times, you have no idea where you are. You leave squishy, wet footprints in the muddy dirt floor.

"I wonder if anyone has ever been down here," you comment. You haven't noticed any other footprints.

"I wonder if anyone has ever gotten out," Kerry mutters.

"Ugh! You wish she hadn't said that. "Lighten up," you tell her. "This is  a really cool adventure."

Kerry makes a face at you. "Yeah, right."

You keep walking. Then Kerry comes to a sudden stop.

"Uh-oh" she mutters.

The tunnel splits into two branches. Kerry turns to you. Which way should we go?" she asks.

You peer down each branch. "There's a staircase to the left," you tell Kerry "But I hear voices to the right."

She shrugs. "You decide."

Head for the staircase on PAGE 128

Follow the sound of the voices on PAGE 51
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Let yourself be guided by the voices ...
    Underwater cave adventures? I didn't expect the ghostwriter to run out of plant-based threats this quickly.

Anyway, voices.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    It's not even the first underwater cave in the series. Also, voices.
    "Let's head for the voices," you decide. "Who knows where that staircase leads."

"Yeah," Kerry agrees. "And if it's like the rest of this place it's probably falling apart."

You and Kerry trudge along the dark passageway.

My backpack is getting heavy," Kerry complains.

"Shhhh!" You cut her off. "I'm trying to hear what they're saying."

The voices are getting louder. It sounds like someone is watching television right around the corner. You and Kerry hurry around the bend.

And freeze. Your mouth drops open at the amazing sight.

You stand at the edge of a large room. It's set up as some kind of recreation room. Ping-Pong tables, TVs, sunlamps, music. That's not what has you stunned, though.

The astonishing thing is that people aren't enjoying the activities.

"Plants!" you gasp. The room is filled with plants!

Walking, dancing, moving plants!

Close your mouth before you start catching flies. TURN TO PAGE 30
  • edited 2013-10-05 10:59:56
    The room becomes very still. The plants must have heard you.

Kerry clutches your arm. Your legs tremble. How can this be? you wonder. How can plants move around on their roots?

How can those small trees be playing chess?

A voice interrupts your terrified thoughts.Max Creeper stands in front of you, grinning. "Welcome. I'm so pleased you found your way here. I was hoping someone would."

"Wh-wh-what's going on here?" you stammer.

Max smiles broadly. "These are some of my father's greatest works. Intelligent plant forms. And I've continued in his footsteps with my own experiments. We've made such progress in genetics. A little DNA from here, a little RNA from there-and voila!

Kerry releases your arm. She steps further into the room, her eyes wide. "You mean you've been breeding hybrids for behavior?"

Leave it to Kerry, you think. She can make the most amazing, unbelievable thing sound like homework.

"I grep up among these creatures," Max explains. "I prefer their company to humans. But I'm afraid they're bored. After all, I am getting on in years. They need livelier friends. Like you."

TURN TO PAGE 14
    You don't like the way Max is staring at you and Kerry. And you don't much care for the way the plants are creeping toward you.

"Uh, Kerry" You murmur. We should get back to the group."

"I want to find out more about these plants" she argues.

She picks the worst times to be brave!

"And I will be happy to introduce them to you, my dear." Max Creeper drapes an arm around Kerry's shoulders. He brings her deeper into the huge room.

You follow close behind, shuddering as more and more plants surround you. You have the terrible feeling that Max doesn't ever intend to allow you and Kerry to leave.

"My friends are very anxious to meet their new companions," Max continues.

Kerry stops walking. She stares up at Max. "Their what?" She asks.

Finally! you think. Kerry's figuring it out. You only hope it isn't late. "Kerry, run for that door," you shout, pointing at the far wall. "And don't ask questions!"

Race across the room to PAGE 118
    You dash toward the door. You leap over shrubs. You duck out of the reach of trees. Branches scrape your arms, but you wriggle free.

"Oh, no!" you gasp. You and Kerry stand in front of the door. But it's completely covered with vines and ivy.

"The plants!" Kerry wails. "They've trapped us. What are we going to do?"

You glance behind you. Max Creeper stands perfectly still, surrounded by his creepy plant friends. They're all smiling at you! And you're not about to smile back.

Think, you order yourself. Or you'll both wind up as caretakers to these green mutants for the rest of your lives.

Do you have anything that can help you battle your way out?

If you have the morphing plant, TURN TO PAGE 33

If you have the bouncy grass, TURN TO PAGE 21

If you have both-choose one!

If you don't have either, TURN TO PAGE 15
    You frantically scan the room. You spot another door just a few feet away.

"Come on!" You grab Kerry's hand and race for the door. Plants chase after you, reaching for you with their leaves and branches. You manage to duck out of the way.

You fling open the door.

"No!" you hear Max shout behind you. "Not in there!"

You ignore him. You figure if he doesn't want you to go through the door, that's exactly where you should go.

You and Kerry dash into the room.

"Oh, no!" Kerry gasps. "More plants!"

She's right. The room is filled with plants.

But these plants aren't moving. They sit in pots just like normal plants.

But then you notice something scary. These aren't normal plants at all.

They're covered with red spots.

"The virus!" you gasp.

TURN TO PAGE 116
    "Well, now you've done it."

You whirl around. Max Creeper stands in the doorway. He glares at you.

"You've been exposed to the virus," Max Creeper informs you. "You will have to stay in quarantine."

Your heart sinks. Quarantine! You know what means. It means you're going to be stuck here for weeks. 

"But we can't stay here!" Kerry wails.

"I'm afraid you have no choice," Max retorts. "The virus is highly contagious! But don't worry, everyone will understand it's a matter of health."

Max slams the door.

You glance around the room. Great. No TV. No books. No toys. No nothing!

Just a bunch of recuperating plants.

This ending makes you sick!

THE END
    So do you guys want to go back to the map and choose a different section, or explore this branching path more? I think it's clear that we were supposed to come here last, but I'll do what you wanna do.

Staircase.

... I love how Creeper wanted someone to find that place, though one of the entrances involves braving killer turtles.

Something about this scene wasn't very scary. Like, Creeper probably actually hoped the kids would become friends with the planets. I couldn't ascertain anything sinister from him here.

And yeah, it's boring because all you have is your nerd friend to keep you company for a bit, but Max is apparently the kind of guy who has dangerous plant viruses around and gets concerned for public safety rather than murder happy if someone discovers his secrets.

He also cares enough to put up warning posters if his plants might say...disintegrate someone.

I'm starting to feel like Max is just socially awkward and our reader avatar is sort of a rambunctious brat who can't appreciate how awesome it would be to have plant friends, and I don't know, become the keeper of a deadly planet virus.

"Let's take the stairs," you announce. "And keep quiet!" We might get into trouble if we're caught down here."

"You're right," Kerry declares. "This area is probably way off-limits."

Kerry dashes ahead of you towards the stairs. You notice something weird hanging down form the ceiling. Thick  green streamers of some kind, you think.

"Hey, Kerry," you call. "Watch out for-"

Too late. Kerry darts into the dangling streamers.

They whisk her into the air! She hangs suspended by the thick fibers. They look kind of like tentacles.

You rush up to her. "Are you okay?" you demand.

"What is this thing?" Kerry gasps. You can tell she's trying to be brave.

"I'm not sure." You peer up at the ceiling.

Your mouth drops open.

"Tell me!" Kerry begs. "What do you see?"

Tell her on PAGE 53
    You have to tell Kerry about the horrible thing that holder her trapped.

She's not going to like it.

"It's some kind of plant," you begin, staring at the gruesome thing that looks like a giant suction cup. "Uh, in the center are rows of, um, teeth. And it has a big gross tongue."

Kerry's face grows pale. "What else?" she whispers.

"Uh, the green stuff  hangs around the edges. I guess they're how the plant catches...uh...catches..."

"Food!" Kerry finishes for you. "And that's what I'm going to be if you don't get me out of-aaaaaaaghhh!"

The plant contracts, jerking Kerry a few feet up. Towards its deadly mouth!

"Help me!" she screams.

You glance around desperately. You notice a big can of weed spray sitting by the stairs. That might work.

But those giant weed cutters lying next to it might do the trick better.

Don't waste any time deciding. Pick something!

To use the weed spray, TURN TO PAGE 28

To use the weed cutters, TURN TO PAGE 94
    try the weed spray
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

I'm starting to feel like [...] our reader avatar is sort of a rambunctious brat who can't appreciate how awesome it would be to have plant friends, and I don't know, become the keeper of a deadly planet virus.
    In other words, exactly the kind of kid these books were written for. :P
    The logical part of my brain says that the weed spray won't work fast enough.

So the let's get the bad end over with part of my brain says go for the weed spray.

(Maybe I'm way off base. I've heard stories about how completely unintuitive the good and bad endings for this series are.)
    The cutters may not be strong enough to cut those thick fibers, you decide. You grab the weed spray.

"Hurry!" Kerry wails. "It's smacking its lips!"

"Plants don't have lips," you assure her. You glance up at the ceiling.

Oops. Looks like you're wrong. The plant is licking its pointy teeth with its slick black tongue.

You have no time to lose. You take aim and fire!

A thick cloud of purple gas envelops the plant.

The plant contracts violently jerking Kerry hard. Then it coughs and gasps. A few streamers relax their hold a bit.

Yes! The plant is weakening. You spray it again.

And again, And again.

Hey-don't you think you're overdoing it?

Sure, you kill the plant. But you and Kerry breath in that junk too.

Talk about toxic! You and Kerry are overcome by fumes.

If you ever wake up you should study the dangers of herbicides. Because if you knew more about them, you wouldn't have inhaled megadoses of poison. And this wouldn't be

THE END

Those weed cutters should work! You grab the heavy shears and lug them over to Kerry.

"Hurry!" she cries. The plant contracts again. She's yanked up a few more feet.

"Don't worry, I'll cut you down!" You dash up the stairs. You strain to reach the strands that hold Kerry.

"Be careful," Kerry warns. "Cut the weeds-not me!"

You hold the weed cutter steady. You hope it's sturdy enough to cut through the thick fibers.

SLOP! THWAP!

"Hey! Ewwww!" you shout.

The disgusting tongue zips out and curls around the weed cutter. It yanks the tool right out of your hands. It tosses it down the stairs.

WHAP!

Then it goes for you! The slimy tongue wraps around you. It lifts you up to the hideous mouth.

CRUNCH!

Hate to tell you, but...

You're plant food!

THE END

In an alternate timeline where the Protagonist and Kerry did not explore the cave...

"Let's not take any chances with that turtle," you decide. "He might have friends."

You and Kerry scramble out of the pond. You lie on the grass and catch your breath.

"Yuck" you complain. "I'm soaked. Let's hang out here until we dry off. I don't want to have to explain to Mr. Denmead how we got wet."

Kerry nods. "Me, either. I have a feeling that jumping in the pond is on the list of no-nos"

You and Kerry squeeze as much water as you can from your clothes. You shake your head hard, spraying water from your hair. Finally, you feel dry enough to continue going through the rest of the gardens.

TURN TO PAGE 100 and choose another area to explore.
    THE E. VILLE CREEPER BOTANICAL GARDENS

Please explore all our exciting areas:

TROPICAL(TURN TO PAGE 5)

ARCTIC(TURN TO PAGE 41)

NATIVE( TURN TO PAGE 23)

DESERT(TURN TO PAGE 32)

Enjoy your visit and please
    DO NOT TOUCH THE EXHIBITS

When you have visited all the areas, TURN TO PAGE 50
    let's check out the desert

Seriously? The cave just ends in death.

I want my money back.

Sure desert. Go die sun-burnt and dehydrated, nerds.
    Presumably if we went to Native last and had the magic powerup plants, we could have unlocked the good endings.

Whatever. Desert sounds good.
    MetaFour said:

Presumably if we went to Native last and had the magic powerup plants, we could have unlocked the good endings.

Nope, those lead to to death too, we're not going back in that stupid cave until it's time to clean up miscellaneous endings.
    You gaze at the directory. The air in the main hall is moist and stuffy. It gives you an idea.

"Let's go to the desert exhibit." You tell Kerry. "It'll probably be nice and dry."

"Fine," Kerry grins. "Just don't desert me in there"

You groan at Kerry's bad joke. Then you follow the arrows to a narrow corridor that branches off the main hall. You take about ten steps down the hall and notice a gray door on the right. The door is unmarked.

"Do you think this is it?" you ask Kerry. "Or do you think the exhibit is farther down the hall?"

"I don't know" She frowns. "It seems weird that the door isn't labeled. Should we peek inside?"

What do you think?

To keep on going TURN TO PAGE 95

To take a peek behind the gray door, TURN TO PAGE 74